Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Faith we Rise, In Doubt we Crumble(Seraphina Shel'Tah)

Varus was in the process of cleaning his still messy knife as the Twi'Lek realized just how short on time they were. He reached into his pack and pulled out a bottle of water, taking a sip of it before he drizzled a bit of it on either side of his blade. He then clicked the cap back closed before turning and tossing it to Seraphina, in case she were thirsty. The next minute he spent rubbing the moisture into the blade and smoothing off the blood with his fingers before he dried it carefully with the edge of his shirt.

The meat had been cooking for almost an hour before he even bothered giving it a try, but when he did it had become almost black, covered in a shell of darkened meat that had become an outer shell in which the rest of the meat would cook faster. Lifting his knife to one of the shoulders of the rack of meat, Varus carved into it and peeled off a piece, steam rising from the tender, pinkish meat beneath. He held it pressed between his thumb and his blade as he turned it over once and looked at either side. He then popped the piece of meat into his mouth and chewed, wincing just a bit from the heat that was still being emitted by it. He then reached up and cut another piece of it, still chewing the tough but succulent piece of meat as he turned and walked over to Sera.

Reaching out, Varus held that piece pinched between his knife and thumb, just as he had for himself, and waited on her to taste their prize as he cast his eyes back up towards the sky above them. "I'd say we have about an hour before it starts coming down hard, maybe more, maybe less.", he then turned and looked back down at the young Twi'Lek and smirked at her. "We have time to eat our fill and then take the rack of meat with is. We've got a couple of miles to walk to our shelter for the night.", he said as he relinquished the piece of meat to the girl and stepped back over to the rack of meat to cut himself off a much bigger piece.

"There's a small canyon about two miles east of here. I passed next to it while I was hunting and saw a few cave like formation in the crevices of the rock formations. We'll be comfy and well away from the rain, I think."

[member="Seraphina Shel'tah"]

Sera looked on as Varus went about cleaning his knife, catching the bottle as he tossed it over to her. The girl popped the cap off, titled her head back a ways and took a couple of quick sips before returning the seal on the bottle. The cool water felt incredible, having not realized just how dehydrated she'd become since leaving Dorin. While he went about fussing over the cleanliness of his knife she laid back resting her head against the tree and closing her eyes for a few moments, thinking back to the Temple. The fact of the matter was that the Temple had still fallen, and the Republic was nowhere to be found. The rest of the Jedi hadn't yet known of the incident, unless Kian had already made it back to Ossus. She had hoped he escaped but she hadn't had the time or opportunity to ensure he had made it. The last time they had spoke he was on his way to the Temple, but he hadn't made it there before they departed.

Sighing she shrugged it off for the time. There was little she could do for him now, regardless of what his situation was. She was in no position to aide him if he required it, and they would first need to find a ride off of Phindar before they even could consider the idea. Besides, the Jedi had to know what happened to the Temple before the Sith wound up on Ossus. Suddenly her focus shifted back to Varus as he stepped forward and offered her a bite of the meat he had between a finger and the blade. Without a word she leaned forward and softly pulled it from him with her teeth, smiling as she chewed away on it. And while it certainly wasn't anything fancy, it tasted quite good to her.

She listened to Varus relay the information regarding the canyon to the east and nodded her head. They hadn't any other leads so this would have to suffice for the night, unless they preferred to sleep outside. "The canyon sounds like our best bet. We'll need to leave soon after we eat though if it's a few miles away if we're to reach it before it starts to storm. Weather is horribly unpredictable, and if this turns into a flash flood I don't want us to be caught in the eye of the storm."

Taking another sip of the water she once again popped the cap closed and tossed it back to her fellow knight. She wasn't sure whether or not she wanted to ask this question just yet, but the yearning to know kept tugging at her. "So...What happens when we get back? I mean, with us? Me? I just want to know what I should expect."

[member="Varus Shatterstar"]

Varus listened to Sera as he raised another piece of meat and popped it into his mouth, chewing as she agreed with him that the small canyon a few miles away would be their best bet. He smirked as he enjoyed his second bite of the meat while his hands cut at a couple of the ribs, though he stopped for a moment as Sera kept talking and mentioned something that had slipped his mind since they'd landed on Phindar.

What were they going to do now that they had escaped the danger on Phindar? They had managed to elude the Sith and recover the holocrons, but they'd just been thrust right back into a difficult spot having crash landed on a planet that neither of them knew. They were in survival mode now, and the events on Dorin had taken a temporary back seat while he hunted and prepared their food. It was an honest question that he wasn't quite sure how to answer, if he was being honest. In fact, he couldn't help but to think how good Sera was at ruining the mood, which since their crash landing had been growing increasingly light, despite their situation.

"I don't know.", Varus finally said as his plucked a pair of the ribs from the rack of meat and turned around. He stood there for a moment, looking over his knife as he rotated it from one side to the other almost as if he intended to use it. He then turned and took the few steps between he and Sera, reached out and handed her the meat covered pair of ribs for her to take. "What do you think I should do?", he asked as he waited for her to take the food.

There it was...The look of disdain returned to Varus' face as she asked the question she knew he wouldn't want to hear. It was definitely the wrong time to have asked that question, and she wished now that she could have reversed time and just kept her big mouth shut until they had returned to Ossus. Problem was she was too anxious and wanted to know what was in his head, what he was thinking, but she didn't want to directly intrude on him, as that would be a horrible betrayal of trust, and she certainly didn't need to give him any more ammunition to be furious with her.

She took the offering of food and lowered her head, delaying her answer as she ate a few bites trying to think of what to say to his own question posed to her. When finally she had gathered an idea as to what to say she drew a deep breath and looked directly at him, so that he would hopefully understand that she was being sincere with regard to what she was telling him. "It's not for me to decide anymore. You'll do what you feel is right, I'm sure. Without swaying your decision just know that whatever you choose I am sorry for what I kept secret from you."

Sera continued eating as she felt a few tiny drops of liquid fall atop her Lekku, signaling the slow start to the rain storm to come. She wanted to say something else to take the conversation back around to being more cordial, but wasn't sure what now to say to change the subject and clear the air again. This was a very sore subject for the knight, and she would likely do well not to keep raising the thoughts to agitate him. They needed their focus on the situation at hand.

Varus took his time cutting off a larger piece of the well cooked shoulder of the beast he'd managed to kill. It was one of the toughest portions of it's body, but he preferred the tough meat over the soft. As he worked on the rack of meat with his knife he felt the tiny little explosions of droplets of water that were bursting against his bare shoulders. One at a time they seemed to find him, and they were few and far between for now. That's how they needed to keep it if they wanted to make sure and keep from getting sick, although Varus rather preferred the constant ping of rain and the soothing rumble of thunder above him when he slept.

"I know that.", Varus finally said, breaking the silence between them before taking a big bite of the meat he ripped from the cooking Mastiff Phalone. Slowly he turned, slipping his knife back into it's holster along his back as he started over towards the Twi'Lek Knight. He stopped when he was next to her, swallowing his large, chewed up bite of meat before squatting down next to her and taking another bite, chewing for a moment before he swallowed that bit of meat as well. "Your secret will remain your own. The relationships that you hold are none of my business.", he claimed as he took another, smaller bite of food, chewing it as he glanced over and watched her with those icy blue eyes.

Gulping down his bite of meat, Varus sighed, looking down at what was left of the bit of meat he'd cut from the shoulder before he added one last thing to his response to what she the woman. When he did, he made sure to wipe his mouth, his voice still carrying that all too serious tone it always had as he said, "I'm a very serious man, and in me are glimpses and sunspots of humor and emotion that I don't all together embrace. I know that in some instances I should, and sometimes it is appropriate, but that's something that I'll have to work on.", he said as he reached down and grabbed the bottle of water from where he'd set it when he'd squatted down next to her Sera.

"I know that seems a bit out of place to admit in a moment like this, but having said it, at least you'll come to understand a little more how serious I am when I say this.", he said, flicking the cap back and turning the bottle up to take three, large gulps of water before he turned the bottle upright and clicked the cap back into place. He then wiped any remaining liquid from his lips as he looked back over to her. "...If this relationship of your puts any other Jedi at risk... If she causes the Republic any grief or attempts to sway your judgement... and... if you prove to be anyone different from the person I know you as because of this relationship with this woman then...", he said, narrowing his eyes at Seraphina.

"I'll kill her myself without a moments hesitation... and I'll kill you if I must."

Watching as Varus carved off more and more of the meat from the animal she saw the small droplets of water bounce off of him like small liquid asteroids colliding with the surface of a planet with no atmosphere. After she spoke he left a long, lingering silence. Either he was thinking about what he would actually choose to do still, or he wished not to share it with her. It mattered little in the grand scheme of things, since she would submit to whatever type of punishment he saw fit. But when he finally spoke she looked highly confused, and even a bit skeptical, based solely off of how he had reacted when they first landed. It looked like he wanted to pummel her into the dirt with his bare hands.

She looked directly into his eyes as he crouched down beside her, her head held up, rather than pointed towards the ground this time. She wanted him to know that she was listening to him. Well that was anything but what I expected... Sera maintained her focus on him as she watched, shifting her eyes to either of his, trying to read his motive behind what he was saying. It didn't sound like he was condoning the friendship, but it didn't sound like he was going to fight her on it, or threaten her with punishment or blackmail either.

Varus continued to speak, reiterating his general personality and behavior, making special note to emphasize his often lack of emotion, something Sera wished she could take command of in truth. She had a much softer heart than he, and it was typically difficult for her to completely seal herself off from the type of relationships that would bear friendships or scars. The final bit of his statement stung her a bit, and her teeth bit down on her inner lip in reaction to it. Her eyes danced about between his, and off into the woods and then back to the fire, and again to Varus, denoting a long pause between the two as she thought about what to say in return, and with him just about on top of her, crouched down.

"I...I don't know if I am going to say this in the manner I mean it or not...So please try and understand. She's not tried to turn me, to redirect my judgement, or coerce me. She's had plenty of opportunity, and has not made the attempt. I don't believe she ever would. That being said, I don't know if time can change her views of the Republic, and of the Order. She has her reasons for disliking the Republic and the Jedi, just as we have ours for disliking the Sith. We were born on opposite sides of the fence. That's all, really."

The Twi'lek shifted slightly, placing her hands gently around his shoulders before continuing.

"I can't tell you that she has no plans to advance the Sith agenda against the Republic, nor can I say she would never kill another Jedi. But can I tell her that I wouldn't kill a Sith? Of course not. If Sage had attacked you, I would have killed him. We have an.....Odd, delicate friendship Varus. I realize that there may come a time where I have to make an uncomfortable choice, but my loyalty is to the Jedi, and the Republic. I would never let anything happen to you, or another member of the Order."

Her eyes would look towards his to make sure he was looking directly into hers, as if motioning a plea to him.

"Please, always remember that."

Varus continued to eat but slowly nodded along with Seraphina as she spoke. He listened to her words and could tell that the hints of nervousness weren't related to what she was telling him. She was telling the truth, but whether it be intimidation or fear of him, she still showed signs of uncertainty that he realized were there. A tremble int he voice or a stuttered word. She might have been feeling frightened or uncertain of her fellow Knight, but to him it was necessary so that above all, she would know that he was as serious as he could possibly be about the situation.

"I believe you.", he said, taking another bit of the meat before he nodded more deliberately this time and glanced over at her, smirking lightly. He chewed a couple more times before he gulped that bite down and sighed in temporary relief. "I really do, but I just wanted you to realize that Sith play cunning games. She may have your best interest at heart, or... she might be playing the long con. Saving you, her advantage, for when she really needs it.", he said as he pushed up from the ground and stood over her, glancing back and forth as the rain began to come down a little harder here and there.

"I don't trust her because of what she is. You trust her because she's your friend. I'm only telling you this because I care about the delicate situation that it is. If she crosses the line I'll have to do something about it. You know that. I told you that myself already, and I can see that you know I meant it. It's a courtesy. That's all.", he said, taking another bite and finishing off the last chunk of meat in his hand, chewing and gulping it down as he brushed off his hands. He then reached out his hand, holding it in front of Sera so that she could take it and stand with him.

"Come on. We've got a long walk ahead of us and I'd prefer to get our meal there as dry as possible."

The rain began picking up in its' steadiness as the two sat eating and discussing the extent of her friendship with Xhexania. At the very least it was something of a reassurance that Varus believed Sera's word thus far. His choice of words however seemed to suggest that he felt she was being a bit naive in her belief that the Sith was truly her friend, rather than a pawn in some larger plot down the line. In her heart she felt this was not true, but only time would tell, and she was not one to believe in the premonitions some Jedi were prone to having. "I understand the motives of the common Sith. She is not one of them. I can't explain it really, but I believe her words, and her actions have reinforced that belief for me."

Sera took his hand and lifted herself from the ground at his offer, and stood looking up towards the darkened sky, with bright stars glittering the atmosphere and the rain drop splashing quietly against her face. "I understand. And you will do what you have to." A moment or two would pass before she turned back to her fellow Knight. "I appreciate the understanding, the concern, and even the warning." Quietly she picked up the packs from the ground, as well as her sabers, tucking them back into her belt and trotted behind him to gather what remained of the meat to take with them.

"Lead on."

Varus smirked and nodded as the pair of them walked over to the makeshift oven and the meat that continued to cook it. He was a man of few words, really, but when he felt compelled, which usually only took place in private conversation, he would share a few words and make sure they carried the weight they should. In this instance, he was well aware that his warning had been heard and that Sera had understood the seriousness with which he delivered those words. He'd been a Jedi for only a few years, and so the trust he held for others wasn't all there just yet. He had known Sith and Dark Jedi in his past who had lied and deceived him to their own, twisted ends and he wasn't about to start trusting anyone who used the dark side of the Force now. Not even if the Jedi tried to show him and help him to trust and understand more. It just wasn't something he was going to be good at, and through their shared experience, he could sense that the Sith she'd spoken of was not much a fan of him.

She might have been an entirely different person to Seraphina, but this Sith woman had looked at him an entirely different way. She looked upon Varus with hate and resentment that showed him she would take his life in a moment without hesitation despite having presented himself in a nonthreatening manner. Furthermore he had shared words with her and her lesser Allie in a calm voice in a confident and collected manner that had still gone unappreciated. The look in her eye and the hiss of her tongue had all but sealed the opinion of the woman in Varus' hard and unchanging mind, and when he looked at the woman from now on he would only see an enemy that called herself Sith and very much wished to kill him.

"Have you talked to her about the healing properties of the force? Have you shared with her the calm and serenity it can provide? The warmth and the happiness that can be found in it?", he asked Sera over his shoulder as he wrapped a cloth around one end of the pole that had been pierced through the rack of meat. He then pulled it out and wrapped another piece of cloth on the opposite side to keep from burning their hands. He reached out and handed one end of it to Sera and rested his end on his left shoulder, then squatting down to pick up one of the thick branches in the fire. He held it at one end untouched by fire and held the burning end out to the side in his right hand, using it for a torch and making sure to keep fire with them at all times. The fire would last the journey to the caves he figured, and it would be easier to get a fire going when they got settled if he kept a torch with them on the trip.

"This way.", he said to her as he lead them off towards the caverns and awaited a reply.

"I could try and discuss with her the value of the light, though I suspect it may fall on to deaf ears. She would listen to what I had to say out of respect, just as I would hear her out, but we both walk our own paths and I don't believe any amount of attempted coercing would benefit either party involved. Just as I disbelieve in the dark side, she too finds little in the way of value in the light. And though we've both saved the other from likely death with each side of the Force, neither one is concerned that the other person's means of accomplishing tasks are better than their own. So, I think if I were to have this conversation with her, it would only turn our relationship bitter, seeming like I am trying to force her into another belief."

She imitated Varus as he lifted the skewered meat onto his shoulder and rested her end atop of her own. Following behind him at an even pace she glanced around looking at the surroundings through the dim light of the torch, with the shadows of trees, overgrowth, and leaves dancing about between the flickering light. She wasn't sure exactly how far away from the caves he was speaking of they were, but she absolutely wanted to get there before the rain got too heavy. It was already beginning to pick up a bit, with more droplets racing down from the heavens above. As Varus continued walking, leading them towards wherever the cave was that he had mentioned, she watched his movements. He was incredibly toned, likely the result of countless hours spent working out. The way he walked was also very prominent, and the manner in which he carried himself was with great pride and dignity.

He certainly towered over her smaller, more delicate bodily frame. Being nearly a foot taller than her gave him an intimidating look about him. She was graceful and nimble, flexible and lean. What she lacked in raw power was made up in dexterity. It seemed their body makeup was near polar opposites, but he certainly looked the part of a Jedi Guardian. That much anyone could pick up from a mile away. And though he was most certainly a capable, strong Jedi, she was beginning to think he had a much bigger heart than he let on.

Varus nodded, a rippled brow hinting towards deep, inner thought as he lead the way to the formation of stone in the surface of Phindar that they would seek shelter in. It was going to take a little under an hour walking at a steady pace, and so he picked it up a notch, well aware that the young, nimble little thing behind him could keep up with his pace. His shoulders swayed as he watched the trees in front of him, remembering his marking made before so that he would have a path back to where he'd been hunting before. A smart little trick most scouts and hunters used, broken limbs and notches in trees making a subtle bread crumb trail for him and him alone. Unless someone else recognized the significance and pattern of the trail, of course, though the odds of someone on Phindar finding and following them in the middle of nowhere were astronomically unlikely.

"I understand...", Varus said, glancing over his shoulder to look back at Seraphina. He'd caught her looking over his broad back and figured that there was something on him. Perhaps a bit of blood or any other bodily fluid the creature he'd been carrying on his shoulder might have emitted? The thought caused him to glance down at the top of his shoulder and arm in his self conscious effort to find and right things unsightly, but he couldn't see anything there that might be distracting or unpleasant for her to look at. He quickly pushed that out of his mind in the next moment, though, and continued to lead their way as he found the words to reply, still testing the woman behind him.

"It must be a scary thing to try and understand someone so... aggressive or... hateful.", Varus said, more concerned than still testing Sera with his words as he continued. "We can't help but to care for those we love.", he said, which seemed an off thing for a man like Varus to say, though his words carried reason in the further explanation of them. "We're born, we grow, we live and we love. We can't help who brings us into this world or who raises us to become what we are, just like we can't just choose what or who we want to be and who we love. I get that... I really do, and so I hope that my next question doesn't seem unreasonable, but...", He said, looking over his shoulder at the female Twi'Lek again with a sideways glance, one icy blue eye watching her carefully as he asked her.

"If my blade were at her throat, knowing she was too unpredictable to restrain and too unreasonable to be expected to stop taking the lives of those unable to defend themselves... would you be able to watch as her life came to an end? Or... in that more likely case... would you stop her yourself if she threatened the life of an innocent? Would you take her life yourself if you were driven to it? If she is so set in her way... you must know that there will be one day that you reach an edge in this relationship that you can't jump across. You will not be able to bridge this gap or take an alternate route. You'll either be too afraid to move from your place and die be starved, or take that step and fall into the abyss below. Into darkness unknown..."

Sera noted when Varus began to walk a bit faster towards their destination, seemingly nervous that they may not make it in time if the weather got any more turbulent. "Worried we won't make it?" It wasn't much trouble keeping up with him. The Twi'lek was well trained for endurance demanding tasks, after the countless years of training in Form IV, dance, gymnastics, and aerobics, her body was both used to the demands of constantly moving and remaining so for long periods of time. Upon looking back and catching her looking at him she smiled, looking back towards him innocently, as if she were doing nothing at all but observing.

She listened to his words, slightly prodding her to elicit some type of reply that would give him insight into her own motives, or perhaps understand why she felt the way she did about the Sith. "It's not something that scares me, Varus. It's the belief that there is good in everyone, and that sometimes, we're nothing more than victims of circumstance. Do you ever wonder why some Sith hate the Jedi? Is it because of something you or I have done to them? Likely not. More likely, it is the cause of the spread of lies and deceit for the purpose of ulterior motives. To reiterate what you said, we can't help how we are brought into or up in this world. But we can still show compassion and empathy to those who don't see things the way we do. And that is what I chose to do back on Manaan after she showed that there is good in her heart."

The second series of questions threw her off a bit, and she had to pause for a long while as they walked to think about and consider the dilemma. "If your blade were at her throat? And she unarmed? I would expect you to arrest her and bring her to the Senate for trial. If she had surrendered, or you had disarmed her, or any other, I would expect you to place her, or them into custody, not outright slaughter them. But to answer your other question, yes. Yes, I would stop her from killing someone if it were in my power to do so. Would I kill her? I can't answer that. I can't honestly say yes I would, the circumstances would dictate my actions. I don't believe that she is a mindless killer hellbent on destroying all life though. She dislikes Jedi, but I've shown her we are not all what she has been led to believe. I've given her an example of the light side that does not betray their beliefs, just as she has done for me. She did not trust you on Dorin, but that isn't something you should hold against her."

Varus mulled over the woman's response for a few moments before he decided on a reply, which came easier as the conversation continued the direction that it was. He found it easier and easier to speak to Sera, which felt a little odd though it was a welcomed chance to his typical pace. Still, he didn't want to get too close to anyone else. He was, after all, the selfish Jedi, unwilling to share in his time and hardly ever agreed to teach or take on apprentices. His time was too important to him and his progress was always first in his mind, only rivaled by his worry for the way the galaxy was changing around him. He paid attention to politics and the movements of the Sith, as did most Jedi, but he felt that there was something more there, and when the protection of the innocent was at stake he was willing to sacrifice anything. Even his precious time in training.

"You and I both know that she wouldn't be all that docile if I managed to disarm her. She's dangerous with or without a weapon, but I'm sure you're well aware that I wouldn't try and take the life of anyone without fair trial unless mine or the life of another's life is at risk. I'll kill if I must, under the right circumstances, and such a thing might come easier to me, I'm willing to admit. That I am not afraid of nor embarrassed of.", he admitted as they walked. "I realized I wasn't much more than muscle and strength of will a long time ago, and I'm okay with that. Someone has to do the dirty work while others of greater intellect and social standing play politicians and peacekeepers."

The silence that he left behind that statement wasn't meant to be awkward or underlying to anything, but there seemed to be something there. Even Varus could feel it, but he wasn't as concerned about difficult silences as he was getting out of the weather, which seemed to be as foreboding as the very realizations he was having about himself. "There.", Varus said, pointing out in front of them past the edge of the treeline that they were nearing. Ahead of them was a long, rock covered, grassy field that lead up unto a mountain range that wasn't very tall, yet very wide and winding along a river. across it's face were more cracks and crevices than could be counted in a day, which was right where they were headed.

"Shouldn't be too much longer, and we're going to make it right on time it looks like.", the male Knight said as he glanced up at the skies again before he continued out into the open field that neighbored the mass of mountain formations. "And I understand your point of view, trust me. You want to do right by the Jedi and preserve the relationships you've built. I get it, but if you truly believe that you could stop her from say killing me or anyone else...", he said, glancing over his shoulder at her. "Well, I'll just say this. It takes time to become an expert pilot or a master marksmen, just like it takes time to know how much control you have in a relationship. I don't know how much control you have over her, and I don't know how much control you think you have over her, but my guess is that one day you'll find out. Just don't ever assume that you have an over abundance of control in the outcome and lose something precious to you because you misread something... or someone."

Sera sighed with relief when Varus indicated they were getting close to their destination for the evening. It was going to be a close call, and she'd rather not spend the night soaking wet if she could help it. As they walked, Varus' words trailed off as she listened to him speak. She understood his concern, and rightfully so, but at the same time this was someone that she cared about as well, and in her heart wished more than anything to believe that she was simply doing what she had to in order to get by. She wasn't graced with the gift of the light side, and so the dark was all she had ever known to embrace, but perhaps that could someday change. At least that was Sera's hope.

"I cannot begin to assume what would come of a theoretical situation, as every circumstance could be different or unique. Variables would dictate the outcome, but I would do absolutely everything in my power to ensure that nobody was hurt. I don't think I have the measure, nor desire to control her, but I do believe that I have the ability to properly read and judge her, as well as convince her to see things differently, or to surrender if it were a life and death choice, to ensure her that she would be treated well, just as I would want to be treated if the situation were reversed. Proof of this was Manaan. She could have let that other Sith kill me, but she didn't. I don't believe there was any other motive behind her actions than compassion."

She shrugged her shoulders and sighed as they neared the caves to make their camp. "I would never assume control over anyone. I just believe that I have the capacity to make the right decision, no matter how difficult, if the need arises. While I cannot be 100 percent certain of what she believes, or desires, I can say that I am confident in my belief that she is not a mindless killer." As they continued through the field a few flashes of light lit the surrounding area, followed by the familiar boom of thunder above as the heavy, liquid filled clouds above collided with one another. The eye of the storm would be upon them momentarily, and judging by the looks of things, it would be a storm that packed some punch.

Varus lead Sera through the field until they reached the rocky path that would lead into the mountains. It took them about ten minutes to scale the path into the meat of the rock formation, but they got there soon enough, finding a cave up high in the range of tall stone walls that became cliffs at their peaks. It was in one of these caves that the pair of them would spend the night, and Varus certainly didn't want to be sharing a cave with someone that wasn't fond of him at the time. That's why he softened on the conversation and gave the woman the benefit of the doubt as he lead them into a cave mouth, icy blue eyes looking back and forth as he reached down and carefully pulled his knife from the holster on his waist.

"Well then...", Varus whispered as he lead them slowly into the dimly lit cave. "I wouldn't presume to know her the way that you do, so I'll have to take your word for it, and that's good enough for me. Just remember my thoughts on the subject, because I believe that I have valid concern.", he said, falling silent as he reached up and jammed his end of the metal skewer into a crack in the wall before he continued into the cave alone, his broad form getting harder and harder to see as he sank into the darkness before he was completely gone.

Five minutes later the rain began to fall hard and fast, the sky rumbling with a certain vigor that had been threatening to present itself before they reached their destination. They'd made it with a few minutes to spare, however, and they were safely out of the rain with nothing but a layer of moisture on their skin and clothes that would dry in no time at all. That was the least of their worries, however, which in fact was why Varus had vanished into the darkness of the cave. He was searching for wild beasts that might very well have inhabited that same cave, and as he explored it he was in complete and utter darkness, until he revealed himself again of course.

In the middle of the cave a light sprang to life finally, a violet saber reverberating it's vibrant purple light from the cave walls around a tall figure. It then hissed as it was brushed against something else, which was revealed to be a long branch wrapped with white cloth that had been soaked in oil. The second it was touched by the saber it caught flame and began to burn, the saber then vanishing almost as quickly as it had made it's appearance. When the fire had spread across the top of the makeshift torch, it finally, fully revealed Varus again, who was standing there with a slight smirk as he said, "Alright. Let's get a fire going.", before making his way back to Sera to take the other end of the skewer once again and lead her further into the cave.

Sera nodded to Varus, "Your concern is valid, and noted. You have every right to be concerned and justified in that concern, just as I would be if this situation was reversed. All I ask is that you put faith in me." She stood quietly as he fastened his end of the rod into the stone of the cave wall, before disappearing into the darkness alone, without another word. She waited, looking out on to the open field as the flashes of lightning illuminated the area in a brief burst of white light, before returning to the void of shade. The rain began to batter the soft soil and the entrance to the cave, drizzling and splashing small droplets inside as it ricocheted off of the stone slabs. It wouldn't take long before the storm rolled in under full force. It was definitely going to be a strong one.

Her head cocked back to focus inside, as his saber sprang to life and for a moment, made her heart skip a beat as a momentary burst of nerves caught her off guard, her hand simultaneously reaching for one of her own blades in the event that he may need her assistance. Though her concern was quickly quelled as he ignited a makeshift torch and silenced his weapon once more upon returning to the entrance of the cave unharmed. She smiled at his words and continued to follow him inside.

Locating a suitable spot to hang the meat from she helped Varus wiggle the rod into the stone so that it would not get covered in the dirt and grime of the cave. Looking around she found a bit of moss, brush, and some twigs that could be used as kindling for the camp fire, and collected them into a small pile. She then wandered over towards the entryway and looked about outside just beneath them. A few meters down was a fallen tree, nothing terribly large but a substantial size of its' own merit. The Twi'lek closed her eyes and outstretched her hand. A moment later the tree shifted in place and slowly lifted from the ground. Continuing to raise it her other hand would pull her saber from her belt clip and press down on the activator. A test of concentration would be performed as she maintained her hold on the tree through strength of will, against the roar of thunder and the flashing of lightning, combined with the sound of pounding rain and wind. With a flick of her wrist she sent her lightsaber out into the air, carving the tree into two pieced, and as it returned,, three. Her telekinetic grip allowed the two end pieces to fall back to their resting place before dancing the centerpiece in with her invisible grip.

Quietly sitting down she carved smaller logs out of the trunk before placing them in a neatly laid pile before Varus. "We should have enough firewood for the evening now." She said with a cheerful, if not moderately tired tone.

Varus smiled as he watched the woman use the force, a truly impressive creature to someone like him. She was growing strong in the force and improving in it's ways even quicker than Varus himself. He'd admit it, he didn't have too much pride for that, even if he would always be much stronger physically than the woman. It was no surprise, however. He was also twice her size, and as much as he'd worked his body to complete and utter exhaustion, nature willed his strength to be incredible. Even then, was his strength all that worth it? The force would always be a more powerful asset to mortals like the pair of them, and no matter how strong he became, he would always be at a disadvantage against someone who was more versed in the way of the force.

"Good.", Varus said, nodding to the Twi'Lek as he made his way over to her, pulling the leather jacket down from it's place draped across his shoulder. "Now keep this warm for me while I make the fire.", he said, grabbing it by the shoulders and opening it to lay it across her back. He then turned, reached out with his free hand and used the force to life five of the cut pieces of wood and raised them up beneath his arm, wrapping his forearm beneath so that he could carry them.

He walked deeper into the cave, finding it's furthest wall and stopped. He then dropped the cut pieces of wood and gathered the kindling that Sera had found as well. He set the fire up a few feet away from the back of the cave so that it would circulate the heat properly from the fire and keep the back end of the cave warm and well lit. He placed the moss and twigs down first, then setting the wood up, laying them carefully across one another so that the fire would remain controlled and burn longer in a pyramid formation. He then reached down with the torch and lit the kindling, stepped back, and watched as it all fell into place naturally from there.

"Well then...", he said with that same, soft smile still on his face. "...what now?"

Her eyes closed for a moment, leaning forward with her shoulders slightly raised as Varus draped the large jacket across her back. Luckily for her, it was both dimly lit still, and her skin tone masked blush well enough to hide her facial expression caused by his gesture. She would give only a nod in return, her vision focused on him as he moved about, gathering the wood towards the back of the cave and forming the pyramid of wood to make their light and heat source for the evening. He knew better than she at this type of thing. Sera would have simply dropped the wood where she was standing, lit the fire, and tossed logs on top of one another and hope for the best. Lucky for her one of them knew what they were doing.

Once he'd finished she slid herself over towards the warmer, brighter section of the cave. She then wrapped her arms around her bent knees and rested her chin atop them, exchanging glances between the fire and Varus every few moments. "Well, we're stuck here until at least the morning, assuming the storm passes during the night. The way I see it, we can either sit and chat, take shifts sleeping, or both sleep. I can't say I would really expect any surprises way out here, especially during a storm like this, so I would assume to be safe whenever that becomes the objective."

Sera slid her arms inside the sleeves of the jacket, feeling the warmth it provided along with the fire's beaming energy. The quiet was broken only by the sporadic clap of thunder, the crackling and popping of the fire, and the battering of rain drops at the mouth of the cave. Tomorrow would likely be another long, rough trip, but for now, everything felt OK, as if this was the way it was supposed to be, and not just the way it had to be.

Varus watched the fire for a few moments as she spoke, nodding subconsciously along with what she was saying. When she finished, the young Knight glanced up at the opening of the cave about thirty feet or so away, watching as the rain came down so heavy that it was almost like being behind a waterfall. "We should be fine tonight.", he said, those frozen eyes watching with what appeared to be excitement behind them. "Nothing in the wilds is moving as long as this weather keeps up. In fact, anything that won't drown in a storm like this will be safely tucked away in the nooks and crannies of the planet."

He then glanced over to Sera, noting the way that she was huddled up beneath his flight jacket and wondering if she was cold. He supposed that he hadn't thought about it, but he was twice the woman's size, and even in his sleeveless shirt on a cold night he was as warm as could be as long as he kept this fire going. Though he was reluctant to invite such closeness, Varus knew that he couldn't let anything happen to his fellow Jedi. If she was warm enough, or claimed that she was, he would have nothing else to say, but he had to offer to help as long as he was able.

Raising his left arm up, Varus thought about it for one moment and then decided her well being was worth much more than his uncertainty. "If you aren't warm enough you can come and share my part of the cave.", he said with a soft smile and a bit of a chuckle.

Seraphina smiled and nodded, her eyes partway closing in acknowledgement of his reassurance that they would be safe for the evening in their makeshift home. It wasn't much, but it was far superior to enduring the night in either a crashed, crippled ship, or sleeping under a rock or tree in the middle of the wilderness. No, this was just fine. She was happy here. They had survived the rough landing, the uncomfortable discussions, the trek through the endless expanse of woods and difficult terrain, found food, and took shelter in a comfortable area. All things considered, this was pretty good.

"I suppose that is a fair point. I don't think anything would be stupid enough to travel about in weather like this."

The moment he pointed out his observation of her comfort she realized what she'd done unwittingly by caressing the jacket. Her body wasn't necessarily cold or uncomfortable, but given time it would slowly begin to feel that way, once the temperature outside dropped further, and the rain continued to slap against the rocky surroundings of their temporary home. The fire was pleasant, but once they fell asleep it would cease to burn after a few hours, if left unattended.

Looking over at Varus she slowly slid herself along the ground with the help of her curled knees, sliding her feet back and forth until she reached him, leaning up against the wall of the cave, her eyes partly closed as she took in the warm glow of the fire and the heat of the insulated jacket. Without much thought, her head leaned to the side and against his shoulder, looking out towards the mouth of the cave as the rain continued to rush downwards from the skies above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom