Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer [BLOCK II]

Star%20Destroyer_zps79fnetbb.jpg

Image Source: http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/E6B6/production/_89126095_cruiser.jpg
Affiliation: First Order Navy
Manufacturer: Kuat Drive Yards (Original Product)
First Order Corp of Imperial Engineers (BLOCK II Upgrade Package)
Model: Imperial-I Class Star Destroyer [BLOCK II]
Modularity: No
Production: Mass Produced.
Material:

• Quadanium-reinforced Durasteel Hull

• Titanium-reinforced Alusteel truss frame

• Transparisteel Viewports

Classification:

• Assault Star Destroyer

• Transport Star Destroyer

Length: 1600m
Height: 268m
Width: 548m
Armament:
Rating 13

• Heavy ion cannon turrets (4 In Dual-Mounts)

• Medium turbolasers (9 in Triple-Mounts)

• Medium turbolasers (2 in Single-Mounts)

Defenses: 16

• Reinforced Hull

• Advanced Warship Deflector Shields

• EWAR
  • HIMS
  • Internal Defences (Concealed Auto-Blasters)

Complement:

Special Features:

KDY Destroyer-I Ion Engines (3)
Cygnus Spaceworks Gemon-4 Ion Engines (4)
• Advanced Warship Hazard and Damage Control Systems
• Advanced Warship Life Support Systems
• Advanced Warship Navigational Systems
Sienar-Jamus I-a2b Solar Ionization Reactor
LeGrange targeting computers
• Upgraded Sensor Array
KDY ISD-72x shield generator domes
• Advanced Warship Communications Systems
• Advanced Warship Environmental Control Systems
Phylon Q7 tractor beam projectors
• Advanced Warship Escape Pods
• Advanced Holonet Transceiver and Encryption/Decryption Networks
• Simulation fields
• Internal Defences (Concealed Auto-Blasters)

Manoeuvrability Rating: 15
Speed Rating: 12 (Top Speed 975 K/ph in Atmosphere)
Hyperdrive Class: 2.0
Backup Class 8.0
Minimum Crew: 5,000
Optimum Crew: 18,542 (Including Officers and Crew)
Maximum Crew: 37,085 (Including Officers and Crew)
Passenger(s): 9,700 (Stormtroopers)
Cargo Capacity: 36,000 Metric Tons
Consumables: 2 years
Strengths:

• Multi-role Star Destroyer: The Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer is a versatile vessel that can serve both as a Destroyer and Transport depending on its deployment environment, complement and operational demands. While not as heavily armed as the X-Class Star Destroyers, it also features a significantly larger complement of transport and fighter craft which make it a more suitable alternative for planetary assault when compared to either the Imperial X-Class or Victory X-Class. In its role as a Destroyer, it has a high top speed and is heavily armed enough to take on virtually any belligerent vessel. The Imperial I-Class can also yet go toe-to-toe with modern cruisers and star destroyers thanks to its upgraded armor, shields, truss frame, sensors and armament which while aging is still potent, largely thanks to its devastating Ion Cannon and Turbolaser batteries.

• Cost and Resource Efficient: The Imperial-I Class Destroyer with the BLOCK II upgrade package can be purchased for roughly one-third of the cost for a new Imperial-X Class Star Destroyer. It also requires significantly less Thorilide when compared to newer Star Destroyers reducing the maintenance and upkeep of the vesssel, Thorilide is a key and highly valuable component for the Shock Absorbers in Turbolaser batteries. Making it a superior strategic weapon in a full-scale war where resource management and investment is key. Partially scrapped or damaged Imperial-I Class Destroyer can also be repaired and upgraded quicker than an Imperial-X Class Destroyer can be constructed.

• Silhoutte Fear: The Imperial-I and Imperial-X Class Destroyers are incredibly similar in design, a cursory scan or visual analysis from a great distance might lead opposition forces to assume the vessel is an Imperial-X Class Destroyer and so flee in fear rather than risk facing the Destroyer and finding out the lethal way which class the vessel is.

• Ion Cannons: Ion Cannons are devastating weapons against hostile warships, they are frightening efficient albeit short range for space combat and possess the ability to disable the target vessel completely for several minutes by short-circuiting all emergency circuit breakers and electronic systems. It is a little forgotten weapon that is incredibly effective at deterring close-range assaults on the destroyer by other capital ship classes or significantly smaller vessels including cruisers, frigates and corvettes, however like the Turbolasers they are ineffective against fighter craft and a target vessel needs to receive a large concentration of Ion fire before being disabled completely.

Weaknesses:

• Low Manoeuvrability: The Imperial-Class Star Destroyer features low manoeuvrability thanks to its sheer weight and inertia, while it possesses good acceleration and speed the Destroyer struggles to turn tight circles meaning combat is best engaged in at range and preferably where the Destroyers' axis of advance is facing the enemy and the Destroyer is placed at the same height or below the opposition.

• Lack of Aft Weaponry: Weaponry aft of the Bridge and engines is non-existent and renders the Destroyer completely vulnerable from flanking manoeuvres, a severe disadvantage in naval knife fights where small, agile and heavily armed ships can inflict serious damage to the helpless Destroyer.

• Exposed Bridge: BLOCK II upgrades do include a new deflector shield system while retaining the old one providing redundancy, nevertheless. The prominent shield generators and sensor domes make for easy targets and can be destroyed and strip one layer of shields away from the Destroyer as the Domes themselves are not shielded but create a local area-effect around the bridge and aft sections of the ship. Without shields the bridge is vulnerable to being destroyed, the result of which is loss of control for the crew over the Destroyers’ course which will proceed to drift through space, turn uncontrollably or be pulled into the nearest strong gravitational field.
  • Omission of Point-Defence: Imperial I-Class Star Destroyers even with the First Order's BLOCK II upgrade still lacks point-defence which renders it vulnerable against fighters, bombers and fast-moving projectiles. For Point-Defence the Imperial I-Class relies on the TIE Wing that berths in the Hanger. In desperate situations, the crew can attempt to turn the Turbolasers and Ion Cannons onto hostile fighters but this is an ineffective tactic against coordinated assaults by trained pilots.

Description: The Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer is an old and venerable design hundreds of years old albeit a potent one at that. At the Empire's height they fielded 25,000 of these vessels and many of them were destroyed, scrapped, lost and/or retired. In the First Order's early history. It continued to field older Imperial I-Class Star Destroyers but their old armament and sensor suites have aged to the point of being rendered obsolete and so the First Order has initiated an upgrade package of old Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer. The Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer [BLOCK II] is an upgrade package applied to the old Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer to bring them to modern standards and provide the First Order with a vessel that is relatively inexpensive to produce and maintain when compared to contemporary designs which feature excessive turbolaser armaments. The Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer with [BLOCK II] upgrades still remains a formidable Star Destroyer with some of the original design flaws with the omission of Point-Defence being Rectified.

Development Thread:
Intent: Create an Imperial Star Destroyer variant with a little more in the way of versatility and to better address the sudden increase of enemies the First Order has through resource efficiency and greater production compared to the Imperial X-Class while keeping the X-Class in service for its superior armament layout.

Who Can Use This: First Order Navy

Reference: Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Currently, I'm basing my suggestions for this ship with the development thread as is, which provides the basic development needed to make a ship this size. I can give you more leeway with these with additional development. I'm particularly comparing this ship to the balanced star destroyer template example because it seems like the closest template concept to what this ship's intended role.

FN-888 said:
Armament: Rating 13 Defenses: 16
For comparison purposes, the balanced star destroyer has an Armament Rating of 10 and a Defense Rating of 14. This ship is consequently better than the example ship in this area, which could be okay if it traded something else away to get here, but I don't see it. As a standalone option, I would recommend either mirroring the template example, or distributing the Armament and Defense ratings into something that equals "24" (as in Armament Rating: 12, Defense Rating 12 => 12 + 12 => 24).

FN-888 said:
36x TIE/fo space superiority fighter (5x Squadron of Fighters is Standard) 24x TIE/sf space superiority fighter 12x Delta-Class XG-5 Star Wing IIor TIE/FO-SK "Strike" Bomber (1x Squadron of Bombers is Standard) 6x Theta-class AT-AT barge (Standard Complement) 2x Upsilon-class command shuttle (Standard Complement) 10x Sienar-Jamus First Order Atmospheric Assault Lander (Standard Complement)
I see that the squadron counts are in parentheses, but as per the Starship Template, please list starships by squadron first. If you would like, you can list the exact number in parentheses after the squadron count.

With that said, while I see that the carrying capacity closely mirrors the original Imperial I-class Star Destroyer, by Chaos standards, this has a few too many squadrons.

While there are any number of ways to reduce squadron count, I'm going to point out two particular options that I would see as attractive for this ship based on different roles.

1) Space Superiority: Keep all 5 starfighter squadrons, 1 starbomber squadron, and "4" transport craft.

2) Planetary Assault Carrier: Keep 2 starfighter squadrons, but add 4 transport squadrons, and 4 miscellaneous small craft.

FN-888 said:
Manoeuvrability Rating: 15 Speed Rating: 12 (Top Speed 975 K/ph in Atmosphere)
This is really, really fast for its size. A speed of 12 is fast even for a ship half of its size. I'd recommend bumping these stats up to balanced star destroyer's template example so that the speed is 16, and the maneuverability is 17.

[member="FN-888"], because it was made roughly three years ago under the Starship 2.0 standards, which provided much larger hangar capacity than our current standards. The flipside is that warships now tend to have more actual gun firepower than ships made under the previous factory rules editions.

@[member='Gir Quee'], My point stands. That ship is still technically approved, If that can still be used within Chaos Canon there shouldn't be a problem here.

Edit: I'm willing to create a flaw in the armament section to make it more like the Original Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer, although I'm not willing to change speed, manoeuvrability or defences, given that monster of a ship I linked previously for comparison.

[member="FN-888"], while I can sympathesize with wanting to make a ship to older standards (especially when it comes to housing support craft), it is not an available option for us. What's here is what I have to work with at the moment.

You have two options then:

1) You can make edits like I've previously suggested, or we can talk about alternative edits that you feel are comparable to my suggestions.

2) You can be adamant about not editing speed, maneuverability and defense, which will force me to deny this submission.

I'm not entirely sure how armament rating is calculated if for example, 400 turbolasers is a "10" rating and 10 considered average.

Anyway, I've decided that I'm going to resubmit this in the near future under a new name and ship design and gear it towards a Transport role. I appreciate you taking the time to work with me on this one, being my first ship submission it is entering new territory. You can go ahead and move this to denied and I'll hammer out a new transport vessel design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom