Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private IGBC | Bacta the Future

Haven Station - Hangar Bay
Somewhere in the Core

It was such a beautiful starship, the J-Type 327. Sleek, elegant: a perfect encapsulation of royalty and prestige.

Not this one, though. Its tags indicated it was named Splendor, and it was riddled with scorch-marks. Splendor had lurched inelegantly into the system that housed Haven Station. And then it limped - like a wretched, dying animal - into the nearest hangar bay. The hull was cracked and mangled in some places, sparking and billowing smoke now that it was outside of a vacuum. The loading ramp crashed open, allowing Caulder Dune and his crew to spill out, scampering away from the vessel even as emergency crews scurried towards it.

Caulder lagged behind, of course, owing to his reliance on a cane and noticeable limp. He was an older fellow, sharply dressed and put together well enough. Age and stress had worn down otherwise refined features. The pale pallor of his skin gave him away as an Umbaran.

Other than that, he looked completely unremarkable.

Once clear of the hangar, a strapping Mirialan fellow took down names and payment information. Whatever they wanted for the repairs, Caulder was glad to let them have it. He was in no mood for haggling. Once that was settled, he asked to see the manager. And that immediately got the Mirialan frowning. "I'm the manager of this bay."

"No, then I'm thinking of the wrong word. Your boss," Caulder snapped his fingers as he tried to recall, "The Matriarch."

"What do you want her for?"

"It's a matter of business," Caulder droned, "I'm with the Banking Clan."

"Right," said the manager, doing little to conceal his suspicion, "I'll... Let her know."

Caulder sniffed. "Good man. I'll wait here."

And wait he did.

The Matriarch was seated in her office, staring idly out the glass steel window while a report prattled on in the background. From what she gathered, it seemed several prominent business men with questionable trade dealings were suddenly and inexplicably throwing themselves out of windows all throughout the Core. Alondra turned her head to look at the screen as the images of the deceased flashed across the display. All were names the togruta recognized, associates of Sadavir Duval -- an obscenely wealthy banker, and slaver in all but name, who'd been murdered a few weeks previously.

She chuckled and a smile curled on her lips before she took a sip from her tea.

Jasper, her guard and assistant, shifted his weight in his chair on the other side of the room. "Somethin' funny?"

Alondra smirked and absently waved her free hand towards the screen. "I do love seeing a good investment pay off." She mused in her purring voice.

The guard opened his mouth to respond, his brow quirked in amusement, but his comm chimed before he could get whatever he was going to say out. He pressed a gloved hand to his ear, muttering quietly under his breath. He sighed and then turned his gaze back to Alondra. "Looks like the ship that requested an emergency landing is now asking to speak with you, Alondra. Some codger from the Banking Clan, he claims."

"The Banking Clan? What is he doing with a ship that kriffed?" She asked, her interest piqued.

Not knowing himself, Jasper could only offer a slight shrug in response. "Why don't we go find out?"

The Matriarch barked a raspy laugh, rising to her feet. "No one likes a smartass."

"You do."

56hqEWx.png

Haven was not a particularly large space station, but it was still a station. It was practically a floating, mobile city. That meant it took nearly half an hour for Alondra to arrive at the hangar bay where Caulder was waiting.

The woman was clad in crimson robes that accentuated her curves and complimented her skin tone, without revealing too much. When she walked the jewels and glass beads that adorned her headdress clinked softly together with each step. Her hands were neatly tucked away beneath the long sleeves of her robes, clasped loosely together in front of her abdomen.

There was no question that she was the Matriarch in question from the way that she carried herself.

A brow rose slightly when she caught sight of the man she didn't recognize. She moved towards him, seeming glide more than walk.

"And just who might you be?" She asked in that low, purring tone.

Caulder Dune Caulder Dune

In the waiting area, Caulder took the opportunity to dust himself off and straighten his jacket. After about ten minutes, one knee hurt, and then the other followed suite not long after. He sat on a nearby bench, watching idly as his crew coughed and hacked and bemoaned the nature of their great escape. Eventually Caulder told them they were free to wander out of his sight.

It wasn't like they were on his payroll any more.

When the doors to the entrance finally split open, Caulder Dune was already rising back to his feet. Oh, this had to be the Matriarch. Look at her. You don't wear a red (more like crimson?) dress like that and not get to be the matriarch. The jeweled headdress was a nice touch. Here was someone who exuded a natural authority, but went ahead and dressed the part too, just to be sure.

Caulder practically beamed back at her, revealing the kind of immaculate dental hygiene only absurd amounts of money could buy.

"Caulder Dune," he said, and gave a respectful little bow. "Deputy Director of the InterGalactic Banking Clan. You must be the Matriarch of Haven."

He put both hands on the head of his cane, letting himself lean a bit forward, put some weight off his knees. "Apologies for the mess. Some parts of the Core simply aren't as safe as they used to be."

There was a minor explosion, muted from behind the blast doors. Caulder tried not to think about his ship. His beautiful, perfect, expensive ship...

Caulder gave a sad little sniff, "Safer still than the Sith frontier, I imagine. That's where you were anchored previously, wasn't it?"

An amused chuckle hummed in her throat, but the smile never formed on her lips -- an old habit for the woman. Her head tilted ever so slightly to the side as she kept her keen eyes affixed firmly on Caulder. It didn't escape her that the man seemed uncomfortable on his feet as his weight shifted slightly.

Her attention was briefly pulled towards the blast doors behind Caulder, a brow arching delicately.

"I assure you, Mr. Dune, my technicians will have your ship spaceworthy again in no time. In the meantime, perhaps you'd like a cup of tea? It's the only thing that keeps me sane when something goes karking sideways." She gestured towards the lift with an elegant wave of her hand.

"We are recently arrived here in the Core, yes. A little bird told me things would be... calmer, but the state of your ship contradicts that theory rather substantially."

Caulder had little doubt his ship would be up and running again soon. His primary concern was its aesthetics. Would it ever shine so vibrantly again? Not unless he brought the thing to Naboo - and given what had happened just getting here...

Oh, whatever. Tea time was fast approaching. His brow wrinkled when she cursed, though it was only momentary. Reflexive, one might say.

"Why, I would be honored, Matriarch," he said graciously, letting her take the lead to the lift.

Well, letting might be the wrong word. Caulder limped, and Alondra - as with most able-bodied people - happened to be capable of surpassing that speed by some measure.

"I wouldn't trouble yourself about it. Those pirates hit us out by Eufornis Major, far from where our friends in the Grayson Imperium can protect us," Caulder paused to deliver a harsh, dry cough into his fist.

Lying about where his friends were had a way of tickling the throat.

But he kept talking, casual, conversational. "Do you get any visits from pirate-sorts these days? I'm told they tend to be troublemakers, and I'm also told troublemakers tend to make their way off of Haven Station through an airlock..."

Caulder's reaction to her curse did not escape her notice, though it only amused her. Most did not know how to react to her when she said exactly what was on her mind, without a filter. She'd found over the years that it was a waste of time to overly parse her words.

"I would hardly count those of the Grayson Imperium among my friends." She chuckled lowly, shaking her head as she led the older man to the lift where the familiar form of her tall guard stood waiting. His hands were tidily clasped together behind his back in a relaxed, but professional stance. He dipped his head in polite acknowledgement to the Matriarch and Caulder as they stepped into the small glass steel elevator.

"Since coming to the outer edges of the Core? Yes, we've had more than our fair share of idiots trying to sink their claws into us. Any who set foot on my station are told they are welcome, so long as they do not disturb the peace I've built here. Unfortunately, for some kriffing reason, the people here have gotten it in their little heads they're smart enough to outwit my security teams. They're dealt with quickly and efficiently. An airlock or a recycler is the best way to be rid of trash, is it not?"

It wasn't a long trip up from the docking ring to the Atrium, one of two observation decks on the station. A quiet space with an exterior wall of glass steel that overlooked the stars. Greenery filled the large compartment, giving the inhabitants of the station a chance to visit nature if they so desired.

Alondra guided the Deputy Director into a small cafe that was tucked along the inner wall. Upstairs, there was a private enclosed balcony with an overview of the park, and the stars beyond it.

She sank into her chair, gracefully smoothing out her skirts with her hands and then gesturing for Calder to join her at the table. "Jasper, bring us a pot of hot tea and get yourself something while you're at it."

Her aquamarine eyes turned back to Caulder. "It would seem you've heard quite a bit about this station, Mr. Dune. Did you intend to pay us a visit before you were attacked by those pirates?"

The recycler? How absolutely novel. He felt like he was in one of those mafia holodramas. The Deputy Director chuckled - a dry and raspy sound. Goodness, that tea was sounding better by the minute. "Indeed it is, indeed... It is."

It was good to see the station had enough space to maintain some atriums and artificial parks. Caulder was no outdoorsman himself, but he had heard such installations were good for morale. Everything helped when crammed onto a metal box with hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of other sapients in the vast gulf of space.

Once they had arrived on the observation deck, Caulder took his seat as gestured. He lowered himself with the kind of ginger delicateness one puts down a porcelain statue. It took longer than it should have. His dull, blue eyes met the Matriarch's.

"It had been a consideration," he admitted, smiling weakly, "Now one of higher priority, given recent developments. I confess it was the Lady of Haven that was of note, moreso than Haven itself."

He was leaning forward in his seat, both hands on the head of his cane. He glanced out the viewport once, then back to her.

"Have you ever been to Verkuyl, Lady Alondra?"

That was certainly concerning news to her. She'd taken great care to keep her name hidden from public record. Her eyes narrowed slightly as she stared the Deputy Director down, but her expression did not shift otherwise. Not only did this individual know her name, but his interest was directed towards her and not the Station itself.

Several red flags were immediately raised in her mind, putting her on edge.

Jasper arrived with a small tray with a teapot, two cups, and a few small dishes filled with honey and sugar. He set the tray down between them, nodded his head, then disappeared back down the stairs to leave them to their conversation.

Alondra watched her trusted guard as he walked off. She would need to speak with him afterward to locate the source of the leak.

Her eyes flicked back to Caulder.

I have not. I doubt you were interested in asking me about my travels, Mr. Dune. What is it you want?

That struck something within her. Nothing too severe - but Caulder could feel a tenseness that wasn't there previously. Was he not supposed to know that? He'd only skimmed the intelligence dossier. Silly him.

"Right to the chase, then? Alright," he said, with a sad little sight. Caulder did enjoy his small-talk. More than he used to. "Verkuyl is a major exporter of bacta, and there are many Core planets that depend on it for that vital resource."

Caulder shifted in his seat, leaning at an angle so he could dig into one of his pockets. He eventually withdrew a small holo-projector, and leaned forward to set it down on the tray. It sprung to life not long after, displaying a map of that sector. The borders of the so-called Eternal Empire bore down menacingly on the small world.

And now that he was already there, he spooned some honey into his tea, "And that trade vital to keeping so many alive and healthy in this part of the Galaxy is currently being threatened by the lowest form of intelligent life imaginable: fascists."

He said that word with a certain venom; a knowing disdain and contempt. Like he were recounting the embarrassing exploits of a foolish relative. Caulder was still grimacing when he leaned back into his chair, taking his tea with him. But he didn't drink yet.

"I've arranged safe passage for some poor, frightened bacta technicians. They're coming here, to the Core, and they will be bringing with them the equipment and materials necessary to the production of bacta," he paused here, and gave the Matriarch a considering look. "You're a cunning sort. I think you can see where I intend to go with this."

Alondra delicately adjusted her skirts with a hand while she crossed one leg over the other. Her eyes swept over the display with muted interest, taking note of what she was being shown.

"It makes perfect sense to salvage what you can. Are you in need of a secure location to reestablish production then?" She asked with a raised brow, gesturing towards Caulder with her free hand. "Somewhere capable of fending off pirates or those meddlesome fascists, perhaps?"

While she waited for his response, she picked up her cup of tea once more and took another sip from the warm contents. She didn't add any honey or sweetener, enjoying the crispness of the drink on its own.

Caulder sipped his tea as she replied. Now that was good. Once he had been served dianogan tea without knowing it, and had walked around with purple teeth for the better part of the day. No one even told him.

"As a matter of fact, I am," Caulder replied, smirking all the way. "It's a shame, really. All the station administrators I interview - weaklings. Small-minded. Limp wrists might be good for pushing pencils, but not much else. They don't have the - what is it? - guts, to properly safeguard an operation of this level of extreme economic and medical importance."

He was flexing his free hand again, cracking the wrist and knuckles. It was an awful, creaking sound. "No, no admins. But a Matriarch? Someone with an ideological stake in the game; someone who's not afraid to get their hands dirty if it means keeping order..."

Once his hand felt better, he raised his cup for another sip.

"...Now that sounds far more apt, I'm sure you'd agree."

Alondra chuckled softly at his remark, finding the entire exchange amusing. She leaned back into her chair, casually cradling the cup of tea in both her hands just below her chin. She tapped her fingers thoughtfully against the side of the cup, watching Caulder intently over the rim. "I can certainly see how that would seem an attractive option for you, yes."

Her gaze momentarily drifted off to stare out over the park below, and then stars beyond. It was a peaceful atmosphere, one that she relished.

"That said, if I agreed to take on such an endeavor, I've little doubt that Haven would become a much more appealing target for pirates and the like. We can handle the risk of course, but it does come with a price." She said, turning her attention back to Caulder.

Caulder tutted, "Pirates will be yesterday's problem once the Imperium gets in motion. You should worry about the more... Subtle threats."

There wouldn't be any more major skirmishes in this part of the Core. The Imperium had sent the pirates running, and Caulder doubted they would come back. Perhaps the Sith would launch a preemptive strike, but they would target more symbolic systems rather than a meager way-station, bacta or not. The same was true for the Republic.

Just with less war crimes.

"Operating rent free never crossed my mind," Caulder said, tapping his fingers rhythmically along the glass. "I trust a ten percent share of the profits will be amenable to you?"

He sipped from his tea, in preparation for a spit-take once the haggling began in earnest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom