Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private I Only Dremulae In Black And White

4f2ea23bb57bd135ece0ab2365dcc0cf-dc8ysev.png

< Something vivid comes again into my mind... >
The Sea of Translucency stretched before her as far as the eye could see.
Upon its shores countless droves of wealthy beings amassed, souring the view for any who wanted nothing more than to breathe the clean air and unwind. She did not stand before it for too long, after exiting her borrowed ship, before turning away and heading from the tourist trap. A safe place to park ones ship it might have been, but it was certainly not why she of all people was there.
Out into the lush wilds she ventured, though for now she followed a path which had been worn into the ground over countless years. How many others had sought respite from the noise of it all before her? How many others had ventured forth into the tropical jungles in search of peace and quiet?
Her eyes scanned the immediate surroundings, looking for one thing in particular. In truth it was the root cause of her being there in the first place... Just one simple plant. A cutting of it, no more no less, was what she sought. Something she could transplant and propagate when she had a ship of her own once more.
Dreamul'er.
And on this verdant world it was no difficult feat to find it.
Soon enough she'd be back in the resort. Maybe she'd grab something to eat before heading out once more... Had to be better food than the rations she'd packed, after all. A simple enough plan to be sure.
But sometimes, simple was best.

Ven took a slow sip from the glass in his hand, the dark red liquid vanishing at an ever increasing rate as he tipped it all the way back. The whiskey burned his throat, and he could feel its effects already beginning to numb the edges of perception. It was difficult for Ven to get drink, but by the Force he was getting better at it. Groaning from the feeling in his throat, and the sudden lack of liquid in his cup, Ven slammed the glass cup down in front of him. His green eyes looked out from under the dark blonde strands of hair covering his face, locking on the bar tender standing a few feet away.

The ageing Twi'lek was wearing clothing more suited to the resort they were at than Ven was; an open shirt and shorts. Ven in comparison was wearing all black, long pants and a shirt open half way down the front, with a long duster thrown over both. To say that he was hot would be an understatement, but Ven had an image to uphold. Ven gestured for several seconds, trying to get the bartenders attention before giving up, rising to his feet in frustration. "Bar man, for feth's sake get me a refill already!" The quick bark of an order from Ven had little effect on the Twi'lek, a man no doubt well versed in how to handle drunkards.

Grumbling, Ven turned to sit back down in his chair when a flash of movement out of the corner of his eye drew his attention. Outside the open bar, an older couple were just beginning to climb out of an airspeeder when three youth came running from the shadows of an alley. Two of the teenagers moved in front of the older couple, talking to them and drawing their attention away from the third member of their party, who quickly and quite handily removed several credit bars and other small belongings from the airspeeder.

Ven debated for a moment whether or not he should get involved, one scarred hand brought up to run through his tangled hair as he considered the options. The choice was made for him though when the husband took notice of the third alley rats activity. He turned to shout at the teenager, just as the other two darted forward and shoved the couple to the ground. Groaning, Ven turned and gave the bar tender a brief look before snapping and pointing to his glass. "I want that filled by the time I get back."

He did not wait to see if the Twi'lek acknowledged him, instead turning and jogging across the distance between the bar and the older couple. The three teenagers took off at the sight of the charging Ven, and he spared only a moment to help the older couple to their feet before taking off after them, plunging into the darkness of the alley. His first step landed in a puddle of liquid that Ven would rather not describe the smell of, and the former Jedi let out a brief series of curses as he charged onwards.

It sucked to have a moral compass sometimes.

Lief Lief

She had found her quarry quickly, and the act of securing herself a clipping had been easy enough in truth. It was placed into a small growth pod, brought for this specific reason, and then deposited into the pack on her back.
Such an unassuming thing it had been, lost within the underbrush. But there was no denying it was the flower she sought. She'd even tested it with a little nick she gave herself. Definitely dreamul'er.
Packing up her things she stood tall and breathed in the fresh air. Out here it was almost as though no civilization had ever touched the planet, it was peaceful enough to be sure and the wildlife remained undisturbed.
It did not take her long to shatter that illusion though as she made her way back along the path toward the resort.
Still, she could not help but think that it was louder now than it had been. As she stepped out from the underbrush and made it to the edge of the wilds, her eyes scanned the immediate surroundings. Raised voices, the sound of rushing feet... She closed her eyes and reached out, securing the four beings that were running around the place. Three teenagers, no doubt up to no good, and their pursuer.
Even from afar she was aware of his presence in the Force. A fellow practitioner, of that she was sure.
Well... He didn't seem like he was seeped in darkness. Perhaps he might benefit from some assistance.
She made her way toward the trio of boys, cutting them off on the other end of the alleyway they'd high tailed it through. Blocking the exit.
She didn't say anything, even as they began to protest. She simply stood strong and waited for the Force User to catch up.

Ven did not like his chances of trying to keep up with the teenagers if they managed to slip out of eyesight. No matter how nice a place was, and the resort certainly was one of the nicer places Ven had seen, there was always a maze of back alleys to get lost in. He had to keep them in sight if he was going to stop them and get the couple their belongings back. Luckily though, it did not look like he was going to need to worry about them slipping from sight.

He felt the presence of the other Force User, barely thanks to his alcohol induced fogginess, but the sudden appearance of the woman at the other end of the alley was a welcome sight. The group of teenagers came to a sliding halt as their route for escape was suddenly cut off, and Ven slowed to what he hoped was a menacing looking walk as he approached them. The teenagers tried protest to the woman who had stopped them, but they realized too late they missed their chance.

Ven took a lunging stride forward, his fist coming around in a quick arc that sent two of the teenagers spiraling to the ground, the two that had thrown the couple to the ground. The third teenager, his pockets filled with ill gotten goods, froze in place as Ven turned to stare down at him. "Give it to me." The single statement was accented with Ven extending his left hand towards the teenager. The action shifted the duster he was wearing, and the gleaming silver of his lightsaber caught the teenagers attention for the briefest moment.

As the teenager began to dump all his stolen merchandise into Ven's outstretched hand, he turned to look at Lief Lief across from him, glancing her up and down briefly. "My thanks for the help, stranger." Turning back to the teenager, Ven watched as the last of the stolen goods were placed into his outstretched hand. He nodded to the teenager, before bringing his right hand back and delivering a final punch to the youth, sending him spinning to the ground with his two compatriots.

Grunting, Ven shook his sore hand a few times before turning back to his unknown help. "Sorry about that, needed to let off some steam. My name is Ven Asher."

Asha held up one hand in an attempt at silencing the trio, who each spoke at once and tried to convince her of some untruths. She could tell that they were lying, however, everyone had their tells and with the Force they were made all that more apparent.
Behind them another figure came, the Force Sensitive individual she had felt. He looked a little worse for wear than she had initially anticipated, most definitely intoxicated from the slightly odd gait and unfocused eyes. It made sense, this was a resort after all, but drunk Force Users had a habit of unnerving her. It did not do to let your powers slip from you the way they were want to when under the influence.
It was dangerous.
Before she could say anything to that effect, though, two of the boys were struck and landed at the ground by her feet.
"Is that really necessa--"
His demanding voice, aimed at the still-standing teenager, muted her words. Still it had helped to achieve his goal, it would seem. The boy was returning what she presumed to be stolen goods. Thieves or not though they were mere children, and Asha sank down to the level of those who sat dumbfounded on the ground.
Other than shock at being struck, they seemed okay. Maybe a bit of a bruise later.
"No more stealing," she breathed, voice quiet and calm despite the chaos she was surrounded by. "Understood?" The boys simply nodded.
Then she reached out, one hand nearing the boy who had took the initial hit, and through the Force she eased away the worst of the damage. She did the same to the other, before rising up and looking at the man.
"Anything to ensure belongings are returned to their rightful owners," she said in response to his thanks, though anything more she might have said was held in her throat as the third boy received a blow of his own. Asha shook her head.
"This is why we shouldn't drink so much," she said, referring to their kind - practitioners of the Force - in a discrete, roundabout manner, "There was no need for violence here. They are merely children."
She offered out a hand to the boy who had been carrying the loot, and when he grasped it to be lifted up she did for him as she had the other two. "Get out of here, and no more mischief. I'll know if you do this again."
A small enough lie, hopefully it would be enough to make them think twice next time.
"You and I need to talk," she said as she turned back to the stranger, "Follow me, if you will." And then she turned and headed off back toward the main strip of the resort. Likely where he'd come from in the first place...

Ven grunted at the indirect prodding of his helpful new companion, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his duster and shrugging his shoulders. He watched the teenagers run off, glancing back over their shoulders every few steps to make sure they were not being pursued. Ven did not take his eyes off them as he spoke to the woman again, his voice held carefully neutral. "Was it necessary? Hardly, your method will work extremely well with those three boys." Ven leaned forward then, lowering himself to come closer to eye level with Asha.

"But my method will work well with those ones." He gestured with his chin towards an alley directly across the way from them, where another small gathering of teenagers were watching. The moment they realized they had been seen, they took off running down their alley. Shrugging his shoulders, Ven turned to follow Asha as she began walking back down the alley he had come running up moments before.

"I have a feeling that this talk is going to involve my light recreational drinking. Such talks usually end with me indulging in my recreational activity to relax, and tends to start a endless cycle." He glanced down at the woman, a small smile appearing on his face at her most likely annoyed expression. He raised his hands up in front of him in a warding gesture. "Just trying to give you fair warning after helping me out."

They emerged from the alley to find the elderly couple looking over the speeder they had been using. At the sight of them, the smile fell from Ven's face as he walked forward. He exchanged brief muted words with them before turning their goods back over, every credit and item that Ven had gotten from the kids. Also among the returned goods were several more credit chips, some of Ven's own that he slipped unseen into their hands. He felt bad that their vacation had gotten off to such a poor start, so a small little token would not hurt. He was not sure if Asha saw the action, but he turned back and caught up with her.

"So, what kind of talk is this going to be."

Lief Lief

Funnily enough, Asha's expression was far from annoyed. A little perplexed, to be sure, but otherwise calm and rational as ever. She did not say much more as she led him back through the alley, her senses probing the space around them to ensure they were not being followed, and soon enough they were emerging out onto the main strip.
From here, the sea could once more be seen taking up the majority of the view. She breathed in the salty air, allowed it to clear her mind; she hoped he followed suit, mayhaps it would be enough to help him start to sober up. But it wasn't her place to force that upon him. His choices were his own, whether she agreed with it or not.
The man had other matters to attend to though, walking over to whom she could only presume were the ones on the receiving end of the teenagers' unruly ways. She could understand now why he had been so prompt to remedy the situation. Still... his methods...
He returned to her as soon as he was done, and she turned and continued along the boardwalk toward their destination. While not as fancy as the bar he'd been sat within earlier, it was quieter. Less prying eyes and ears. A simple cantina.
She had promised herself lunch before she left, after all.
"It is dangerous to mix an inebriated mind with the Force," she warned him quietly, as she approached the building; she opened the door, gestured him inside, and followed soon after to a table. "Do you spend much of your time in such a state?"
She pulled the flimsiplast menu from its holder and peered over the selection of meals and drinks, giving him time to sit and respond.
"Choose what you like. On me."

"Dangerous to do so...yes, it is." The words barely left Ven's mouth as he walked along with Asha, his hands still resting comfortably in his pickets. He could not deny that his current favored pastime was not the best of options to pursue, but at the end of the day it was the decision he had made. Thinking on it now, Ven could not remember a time in the past two years where he had not been drinking at some point during the day. He dreaded what his first doctors visit was going to be like.

"I rarely get myself fully drunk, though not entirely for lack of trying. Most days I just drink occasionally here and there, never enough to do more than burn the throat. Today is one of those in between days." As Asha opened the door for Ven, he ducked his head inside and blinked a few times, adjusting his eyes to the sudden change of lighting. This kind of place was not one he usually visited, and he received a few stares as he followed Asha across the restaurant to a table.

He narrowed his eyes slightly when she made the offer to cover his meal, and he glanced around the room again before leaning back in his chair. "You offer to buy me a meal, and yet I still do not know your name. As far as first dates go, it seems we have skipped a few steps." Ven let slip the joke without much emphasis, intent on putting her off guard possibly, or getting more information out of her.

Lief Lief

She mulled on his words as they entered the cantina, contemplating how best to proceed. Though she had places to go, and things to see, she was admittedly in no real rush. Better she think before she speak, than rush through it like some raging rancor.
"Asha," she retorted, "My name is Asha. And this is no such thing." As firm as her voice had been on that last part, she could not help but smirk as she imagined what Cotan's response might have been to such. Some quippy one liner, no doubt... He seemed to take such things in his stride, after all. "It'll help screw your head back on tight."
Okay, so that wasn't her most well thought out response. But it had been said all the same, so what was she to do about it now?
"If you're wasting your life in bars, I'd hazard a guess that you're without purpose. How did you come to exist in such a way? The Force is all around you, and yet you appear more like a man at the end of his rope. Why?"
That hadn't come out right, either. Smooth talking, Asha... Smooth.
She let out a soft sigh, and shook her head.
"I'm sorry, I just... There's so much more you could be doing with your life. Is this really how you saw your days turning out..?"

Ven stiffened for a moment at Asha's question, and his eyes darkened as memories he had buried in empty bottles began to surface. His right hand closed into a fist for a moment as he fought to control the emotions such a simple question brought up. When he finally did respond his voice was neutral again, and he had taken a disinterested posture. "I would not say I am wasting my life away. I travel where I can, lending a hand in small towns and cities where they need some help when the local law can't, or won't help them. It just so happens that there tend to be bars whenever I get there..."

Ven was not convinced by his own words, and he waved for a server to bring them drinks. To his annoyance, the go to drink here seemed to be water. Still, he filled a glass for himself and Asha before downing the entire cup, filling his again before putting it down. Well, he did not think he had much to lose by divulging more. Plus he was getting a free meal. "I was a Jedi but left the Silvers...two or three years ago now. I was working on some backwater world with my former master, tracking down rumors of some Dark Side activity."

Ven took another sip from his glass, his eyes staring into the distance. "We found it. Some upstart cult of locals decided to try and make a name for themselves, sacrificing people in dark rituals and wearing bone armor. Me and my master cleared out the cult, and were on our way out when the locals decided to attack. They did not know the difference between Jedi and the Dark Side cult, and all they knew was that two strangers had shown up and killed their neighbors, as strange as they had been."

Ven sighed, leaning forward on the table. "I made it out, my old master did not. What the locals did to his body...I would prefer not to think about. I went back to the Order, but I could not forget. My master made me promise not to take out my revenge on the people, they did not know what they were doing after all. But every day in the Order reminded me of his death, and my inability to avenge him. I left the Order, and have kept myself moving to avoid settling down in one place. If I ever found myself with time on my hands or a clear mind...

Ven shook his head, waving his hand in the air as he leaned back in his chair. It had been some time since he talked about his past, and that lingering desire for a drink started to take hold again.

Lief Lief

Asha did not say a single word during, or immediately following, the man's explanation.
His words were left to lay heavy in the air between them; what should have been cathartic for the former Jedi seemed instead to only further sink him into solemn thoughts, though she could see his attempts at appearing aloof instead. She did not buy it, of course. This was not her first rodeo with broken beings, and Force knew it would not be her last.
She took up her own glass of water and allowed herself a mere sip, an action that could help disperse some of the uncomfortableness that lingered. Then, and only then, she steeled herself with a shallow intake of breath.
"To have experienced so much," she began, each word carefully and quietly spoken so as to respect his privacy, which was important even in so empty a place as this, "It is understandable that you would shake off the ties that bound you to your Master. That you should seek solace and respite from it in whatever means you can..."
She let out a shaky exhale of breath, rolling the glass between both hands on the table and thriving on the cool perspiration on its exterior.
"I know how it is to reject what was in the face of such barbaric hardships. To doubt the teachings you'd known, to seek certainty in actions that are beholden to no one save for yourself. But you don't need to be alone in this... There are other ways to deal with your grief, your trauma. You still wish to help, to fulfil the duties bestowed upon you by your former Order, that much is clear."
Their server approached, presumably to take their order, but Asha held up one finger in silent request that they be given a minute longer without intrusion. She hoped that it was not taken poorly, though she did not turn her head to see for herself.
"Where is it you go from here, Ven? Once you have exhausted the solace afforded to you by Dremulae, where then?"
Despite the difference in age, gender, species... Asha could not help but see fragments of her former self in the man who sat across from her. Freshly freed from that floating graveyard, which even now haunted her dreams, she had done everything in her power to run from it. To keep going forward, to never look back...
And it wasn't until she broke down, until she faced the truth of the matter among her closest companions, that she had begun to heal. Began to live again instead of merely existing.
It would be wrong of her to deny him the same options.

Ven let out a breath of air, shaking his head as he finished his second glass of water. As far as refreshments went, ice cold water was certainly one of the best, though it did not have the same savory aftertastes as some alcohol. It would certainly have made this conversation much easier to deal with. Refilling his glass, Ven considered how he would respond.

Asha seemed to be truly sympathetic, he did not detect any distinguishable feelings of deception within her as she spoke. That did not necessarily mean she was not trying to play him in some way, but not everyone in the galaxy operated like that. At least, he hoped she was not. "I will likely start drifting again. I heard that the Mid Rim could use some extra security help, especially with the rise of this Brotherhood of the Maw on their doorstep. Or...maybe I will go back to Commenor. It has been a while since I visited home. After that though..."

Ven shrugged, sipping from the water once again. He truly did not know what he was going to do, but he had said what he could reasonably guess for himself as he thought about another part of the question she had asked. It was true, he did try and help those in need where he could, though he always tried to tell himself he was doing it to keep himself busy. It did not cost him anything to help others, though his added charity today put that thought into doubt.

"Just because my life is shit does not mean others deserve the same..."

Lief Lief

"Too many in this vast Galaxy of ours offer one wrong turn for another. On and on the cycle turns, an eye for an eye... tooth for a tooth. They are blinded by their own thirst for vengeance, or justice as many have taken to calling it, that they do not realize they are as bad as those they suffered at the hands of. Even our most blessed peacekeepers are guilty of the same. They take one look at who they deem to be the opposition and condemn them before they can speak their peace. The vulnerable and the brainwashed... Beings still capable of redemption. It is easy to fall into this pattern.."
Asha paused, perhaps for dramatical effect but most definitely to take another sip of the drink. Unlike the man across from her, she seemed to be pacing herself. Water or not.
"You, however, have not. You may drink and act as vigilante, but insofar as I am able to deduce you still strive to do what is good and proper, to do what is right. For the denizens of the Galaxy, not simply because you're beholden to some Order of old. You have the makings of greatness in you, Ven, but you have to take the reins and chart your own course. You cannot pour from an empty cup; you need to take time for yourself."
The waitress returned once more, and this time Asha did not ask for more time. Instead she turned and looked upon the server and smiled, giving the woman her order - simple panna cakes with a side of sliced gruffle - and providing the man with some time to think on what she'd said. Hopefully he already had his own order in mind. If not, well... there was no real rush.

Ven stared at Asha for several moments in silence, his mind slowly working over all that she had said. For half a second he considered just walking away from the table. He had decided two years ago that he had given up that kind of life. He had sworn to himself that he would never commit to another organization, that he would always stay on the move. He did not deserve the chance for a better start due to his darker moments, his deepest thoughts.

But...

A new start was not something Ven could simply ignore either. He made a promise to his master as well, during his final moments on that forsaken world. A promise to not strike out in revenge, and to keep true to the code of honor and duty he had been taught. That code surpassed even Ven's loyalty to the Jedi Order, and it was why he still tried to help those in need even after he had left. To commit himself to more than just roaming the galaxy between bars, doing the odd work here and there for those in need...

Perhaps he could avenge his master not through violence, but through honoring his memory how he would have wanted. The answer to that seemed so simple, and yet it had taken Ven two years to come to that realization. Maybe it was the drinking that had done it, or his own stubborn refusal to consider the past in detail.

Glancing up at Asha, the troubled look on his face began to vanish. Muscles, tensed all across his body, began to relax as he sat up in his chair. Glancing up at the waitress, Ven let a smile play across his face, calm and relaxed. "I will take the most expensive item you have on the menu, darling. My new friend here is paying." Ven gave the woman a quick wink before he turned to look back at Asha, leaning back in the chair and folding one leg across the other. He still had his doubts, he probably always would, but today he decided he would give himself a chance.

It would be a long road to be able to live with his past, but he would give it a shot. For his masters sake at least. "So, tell me Asha. What is this greatness you see in me?"

Lief Lief

Though it took several moments to come to the surface, Asha witnessed a change overcome the man following her words. And it wasn't just the way in which he reignited his roguish charms in regards to the order, the way he spoke and teased. No... She could see the calm wash over him, muscles untensing which had been locked up and tight for far too long.
She could see it in his eyes. Something which had been missing had returned: Hope.
Asha knew exactly how it felt to have that returned. It was not an immediate relief to everything, of course, nothing changed over night - or over food, as the case might have been - but just that thin slither was enough to reignite a person. To bring them back from the edge. To give purpose to their lives. She had felt it before first hand.
She had been feeling it ever since. Even on those most bleak of days.
"Potential," she stated, as she leaned back in her seat and began to drink more deeply from the glass of water. "The future is not yet set, my friend, there are many infinite strands to walk along... It's up to you to decide what to do with that knowledge. Not I."
Her gaze lingered upon him for a moment more as she pondered the options laid out before her. Much like he, she had countless possible futures, many paths she could take, and many ways to reach the same destination. The question was, how did she wish to go about it?
That the Force had brought the two together was telling, though strange their introductions had been. Was this a sign of something more? Was it time to step away from the shadows once more? To further her lofty goals alongside others?
Or was she simply presuming too much? Looking too deeply into a simple encounter?
There was only one way to find out, she supposed.
"You know, I could help you. If you wish it. Face the demons... Give you purpose once more. Allow you to still roam, while providing you with a refuge to return to. I meant what I said, you don't have to do this alone."
The cogs were whirring in her mind. Perhaps it was time to take Cotan Sar'andor Cotan Sar'andor up on his offer, create sanctuary upon the station...

"I suppose no future is ever truly set. But it does not hurt to look at the odds." Ven grinned as he waved down the waitress again, making a request for some kind of fruit related drink. Water was fun and all, but it was already starting to get a bit boring. He doubted he was ready to give up alcohol all at once, but he would humor Asha by not drinking it blatantly to her face.

"I would not turn down the chance to find a proper purpose again, I suppose." He smiled as his new drink was brought to him, a green colored liquid that he took a quick whiff of before downing half of it in a single go. The freshening and sweet flavor was a stark contrast to what he had been drinking earlier that day, but it was not entirely unpleasant. It was at least more exciting to drink than water. He called for a refill to the drink as he turned to look at Asha, bringing the glass up and tapping his temple with it.

"It has been sometime since I have been able to do anything with others. I will take you up on the offer, Asha Hex."

Lief Lief

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom