Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I.M.D Pest controler

stun_gun_flashlight_extreme.jpg

Image Source: http://www.trueswords.com/images/prod/stun_gun_flashlight_extreme.jpg
Intent: To Kill pesky Ysalamir in their nutrient tubes
Development Thread: Here
Manufacturer: Independent Military Developers
Model: I.M.D. Pest controler
Affiliation: Open market
Modularity: No
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Plasteel and small electrical generator
Classification: Electric
Size: Handheld
Length: 15cm
Weight: 200 grams
Ammunition Type: Power cell
Ammunition Capacity: 5
Effective Range: 10 meters
Rate of Fire: Single action
Special Features: rechargeable
Strengths: Fries four legged creatures
Weaknesses: Does not do much to two legged creatures
Does not hurt animals that are Electrically insulated
Description: The pest controller delivers a high powered hit of voltage charge, that will fry any four legged animal. Then it will have little effect. It works by send out a voltage towards the target, and then hitting and send a surge of electrical towards the pest creature. The reason it works on four legged animals, is due to slight physiological structure difference, which makes the heart in a different place. Though if the animal has protection from the electrical charge, than would be uninjured by the attack. The charge works, by going through the feet of animal, and then crossing the heart. Which results in a type of heart attack, which is usually fatal to animal. This is the reason the weapon is aimed at the ground, and near the animal in question. The pest controller takes roughly ten minutes to recharge, at suitable powerpoint.
Primary Source: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yFMw49w9LSgC&pg=PT44&lpg=PT44&dq=Electrics+that+kills+four+legged+animals&source=bl&ots=L7Yd25Dofb&sig=Ik297dm-wbbO8li4v_uSpyrfTyM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFovCTktPOAhXILcAKHUskBJkQ6AEIJTAB#v=onepage&q=Electrics%20that%20kills%20four%20legged%20animals&f=false

Darth Banshee said:
Description: The pest controller delivers a high powered hit of voltage charge, that will fry any four legged animal. This was particularly designed to kill Ysalamiri lizards whilst the nutrient tubes, as they stop sith from using the force. Though if tube is protected from the electric shock, Then it will have little effect. It works by send out a voltage towards the target, and then hitting and send a surge of electrical towards the pest creature. This does not just work Ysalamiri lizards, it can be used on other four legged such as womp rats. The reason it works on four legged animals, is due to slight physiological structure difference, which makes the heart in a different place.

This is not edited to what was described in the second chance.

Please remove any indication about it working on ysalamir in nutrient packs or their tubes.

[member="Darth Banshee"]

Okay, so a few things:
  • How long does this take to charge, and once fired, recharge? Please include that in the description somewhere.

Darth Banshee said:
Though if tube is protected from the electric shock
  • I don't know what you mean by this.
Also I am a bit confused here:

Darth Banshee said:
The pest controller delivers a high powered hit of voltage charge, that will fry any four legged animal
  • First, because electric devices used against cattle and other large creatures exists, cattle prods. These deliver high voltage, and low amperage. These tools do not kill the animals because of the low electric current.
  • That being said, it's not impossible for either a person or an animal to be killed by voltage alone while using a taser/stun gun/baton, or a cattle prod. There are a wide variety of variables that come into play in this scenario, one of which simply being misfortune. The common myth that voltage doesn't kill humans is only partially correct. Similarly, volts do not typically kill animals either, simply because of where their organs are located. Prolonged exposure to voltage however will burn and sear skin.
  • Regardless, you are better off wording this submission in terms of electric current, rather than voltage if your intent is to actually kill. There are numerous examples of voltages killing, but it's the exception, not the rule. One such example is stray voltage, which can very easily kill four legged animals, however this requires a very unique situation to occur, one that will not be present with a stun-gun.

1: Sorry on tube part, that was part of my second chance I it missed out to remove. :)
2: Yes you are right about the prods, but not work quite the same. As they make direct contact with the head, these would have to go through the feet to get the effect.
(Which I will edit in.) :)

2: Section XII page 8, you can shower in it and just feel a tingle, yet animal will die. Can give lot's of new paper headlines where this has happened. :( (I do actually really like wild life in rl)
3: Whilst you are right, it does create a spark, the idea this weapon is just to extend it. As this type of electricity cause random gas explosions, where my day job comes in, as it comes into my gas leak risk assessment, usually in ducts this is why we have get them lifted, to stop the buildup of gas. So it must be sparking to ignite gas though it may be something in the duct that allows it, now I do doubt the spark in our universe is 10 meters in range. Though we don't try and make things out of this fault on purpose in this world yet, probably as does not hurt or impede humans. :)
3a: Though there are electrical gun in star wars, though they are designed to kill everyone.

[member="Jamie Pyne"] :)

[member="Darth Banshee"]

What you showed me is exactly what I was referring to. Stray voltage can kill animals quite easily. It can also kill people, however. Its' dependent on a varying number of factors. In the example of the horses dying but not the riders, that was because the horses were wearing metal shoes, stepped on the an area of least resistance, and the electric current ran through the most direct route of the animal, killing it, but not the rider. The other horses weren't killed, however they did get burned, and displayed behavioral reactions.

What you're looking for with this is to create stray voltage with the use of a handheld, for lack of a better word, taser. That isn't how stray voltage is created though. In fact, the link you just showed to me was very recently, just yesterday, displayed in I believe Norway where over 300 reindeer were killed by a single lightning strike, link here.

That being said, a single bolt of lightning can deliver over 100 million volts. What killed them was not necessarily the voltage per say, but the internal burning of the animal's organs as it passed through their bodies.

In the second example of the article you linked "Woman in Shower" it is because the woman was standing in what was essentially the greatest conductor of electricity, therefor incredibly easy to feel the sensation of the voltage, but it was not high enough to cause burns or potentially kill.

What I'm getting at is there is no way to accomplish this with a handheld device because of two things:
  1. The device, when pressed against, or shot (if a ranged taser) would immediately travel to the point of ground, which in this case would be whichever foot, leg, hoof, etc is closest. The reason I mentioned cattle prods is because they are functionally the same.
  2. Stray voltage is caused by primary and/or secondary return current, and power system induced currents, as these currents flow through the impedance of the intended return pathway, its parallel conductive pathways, and conductive loops in close proximity to the power system.
As the submission stands it appears to be nothing more than a taser. It is written to deliver a set number of volts (Generally tasers are between 50,000 and 200,000 volts) which do not kill (generally) humans or animals.

Normally I try and offer some kind of guidance to help make submissions work, because I like seeing new tech, but I can't think of really any way of offering advice to make this particular thing work. It doesn't present the right variables or situation to do what it is you're trying to do. Perhaps an alternative way to affect creatures would be easier? Such as using another method of delivery such as sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom