Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private I Have a Bad Feeling About This

Lori raised a brow at what Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun had said. Not so much about having bases anywhere, but moreso in his choice of wording in regards to ruling over a planet. "Capture and hold a planet? Is that what your Empire plans to do? To force people to submit to your rule and punish them if they don't?" She hoped that such a thing wasn't true. That kind of domination was what she fought against.

She stopped in her steps as he answered her question on Force users. Was she bothered that they watched them? No. Yet she hoped that it wasn't going to go any further than that. There were some that hated Force Users and wanted them all put under strict control or have them all locked up. Lori hoped that that wouldn't be something that she'd ever have to face.

"My late husband....I can't pretend that he's alive anymore. I don't know what happened on Csilla as my own fight against the Eternal Empire has had me distracted. Yet the Sith have takeen the lives of more than my husband. They have taken the lives of my Dad, my Mom, and millions of people on my homeworld when they lay siege to it and occupied it. They took the lives of my Mandalorian family after gaining what they wanted from them, leaving me to run a weapons and shipbuilding company with no experience in that sort of thing. There are many reasons for me to go after the Sith, yet they are far too big for me to take down. But cutting them off from their allies is one of the steps that I am doing." There was determination in her voice and stance, however her plans were never certain to work. And she didn't expect to be pushed out of the Rebellion by it's newest members, but it is what it is. A new path lay in front of her.

"What sort of vision do you have for your Empire's future? I don't need to hear what your Dad wants. I mean you...."

Rowena nodded. Heath gave her no hints as to what he'd like, yet she had noticed which candies he prefered during his visits. She set down her glass and pressed a button on the end table. A compartment opened up, revealing a datapad. She took it out and swiped it on, tapping out a message for the kitchen staff to cook up a cake with the same flavourings as the candies that he loved. Then she set it aside and refilled her glass of wine. "So a small ceremony here, similar in scope to an elopement will be best. A larger one will happen later, perhaps when you and your people have secured a planet of your own?"

Second King of The Elysium Empire

Tag: Loreena Arenais-Valhoun Loreena Arenais-Valhoun

Rex quickly clarified what he meant by "capture and hold", "No, no, not force people against their wills. Though, are there not always people that hate their government? Not everyone will be happy. The Elysium Empire is popular to those that are in our fleet. We need others to see our actions and support us. That's partially why we are still a fleet, we can't mobilize enough. Mostly the poor and desperate support us. Refugees, Immigrants, Veterans with no place to go, athletes that spent their fortune, and politicians that lost their positions."

"Anyways, my vision for The Elysium Empire? I haven't really formed it yet to be honest. I want to see us grow, to become a true Empire, not just a fleet that calls itself one. I don't share my father's compassion either. Those refugees, they deserve a home, but some others....they don't. Then there's Heath's lies, his political nonsense. His speech? He won't go through with most of it. He's made our position clear but he wouldn't dare launch another attack like the one on the mines. Cloud City was attacked recently by someone who supports us. My father gave the man hell for his actions, even though in his speech he claimed we would make Bespin pay. Honestly, I think he is incompetent. He doesn't act on his promises, he expects everything to go down perfectly, and he has done nothing but make shady deals behind our peoples' backs. I would fix his mistakes. I would make our Empire Great."

Rex stopped, realizing he had revealed far too much and gone on for much too long. He should not have said half of what he did, especially about the lies. He would be lucky if Loreena even stayed to talk at this point...he had revealed his Father's weaknesses and his failures. What woman would want to marry into that kind of mess?

He quickly apologized, "I...I'm sorry. I got carried away. I guess I'm just angry that I've been thrown into all of this...the marriage, being the heir..."

------------------
Heath smiled as Rowena made her order. Then she asked about his future plans given the marriage. "Most definitely. I expect we will have territory by the last month of the year." There were twelve months in a Galactic Standard Year, and it was currently three days from the end of the fifth month. (OOC: Here) That should be enough time to get his forces moving, surely. They had been so close in their attack against The Agents of Chaos. They were running out of time, The First Order, The CIS, and The Eternal Empire were growing. If Heath couldn't secure land for his Empire, they would have no production outside of the weak treaties with Veinstein, Broka The Hutt, and Sularen, meaning they could easily be crippled at the loss of just two of these suppliers. Then there was the credit issue. Fleet maintenance, Supplying enemies of The Sith Empire, Purchasing equipment...it took a toll, and even with a huge treasury currently, it couldn't last forever. Heath desperately hoped that his estimate was correct....

Lori nodded as Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun started to speak, but then he just carried on. Just like herself, he spilled out his words as though a floodgate had been opened. All of this let her know more about his character for it was raw and unfiltered. Moments like those were good.

"Politics sucks. I'm not a fan of it either. I used to be the public Face of the Eclipse Rebellion, knowing that it would make me a target, yet it allowed the real leaders to work in secret. The Rebellion grew, more members were added and then I got pushed out. The newest members had no problems telling the others and Broka the Hutt about my lack of leadership skills, which was purely their opinion. I just have a different approach which doesn't involve forcing people into doing things that they don't want to do. So I stepped down and stepped away. Whether they succeed or not in their new direction, I don't know. But it's not my problem anymore."

Her eyes linger on him, knowing his frustrations, yet in this moment she knew her place as well. "Do you feel as though this marriage is just some shady deal behind your people's backs? Or do you think that it's a deal made for their benefit and something that we could work out together?"

"Oh that'll give us plenty of time." Rowena sipped her wine and pondered a little in thought. "Have you a territory in mind that'll leave room for expansion?" It would do no good to have them cornered, afterall.

Rex was surprised that Loreena didn't even bring up the fact that he had gone on a rant. She just went along with it, explaining her own dislike of politics and the story of her time in The Eclipse Rebellion. It was an interesting story and it taught him some things about her, for example she wasn't the type to subjugate people.

Then Loreena asked him another question. This one was more important than the others.

"Do you feel as though this marriage is just some shady deal behind your people's backs? Or do you think that it's a deal made for their benefit and something that we could work out together?"

Rex thought for a moment. This was the ideal moment to tell her about his past...how he was a savage...how Heath saved him and groomed him to become the Heir. In telling her, he would probably earn her trust, but he would be betraying his father. He couldn't explain why he wanted to tell her. Maybe it was just because she was being honest as far as he could tell, and he wanted to be as well.

"I think it is for the people. They won't know for a while, but this helps The Empire, and thus it indirectly helps those within The Empire. Heath does that kind of thing. We have a deal with The Shadow Triumvirate. The Triumvirate is very much not in line with our beliefs, but they are supplying us. Then there is Dr. Veinstein. His company supplies us with technology. Doc is a mad scientist. Father keeps him in check while he's here. I can't say that I would do any different, but my point is my father does things for a reason, and the reason is almost always for the good of his empire."

This was the time. He would either tell her, or he would back out.

"...I am the product of this behavior." He said, deciding to tell her. "I was in The Unknown Regions, alone, a savage that didn't even speak basic. Heath found me, saved me really, and trained me to be his successor. You are the only person that knows that now. That is how he operates. I am probably nothing more to him than insurance for his Empire. He truly cares for our people, he is more compassionate than I, but he is also the type to work in the shadows. I am not."

------------------
Heath gave the question a moment of consideration. His original plan was to take Bespin, his home, as their planet. Cloud City could give him many benefits....an excellent place for meetings, and massive Tibanna Gas exports. However it was no longer a viable option. Hoth was decent for hiding, but it too had been taken by The First Order. That had forced his Empire to migrate again. Now he was looking at Utapau as the most likely base for his Empire. The planet housed about 100 million currently, and had excellent potential for mining operations due to the rocky terrain. Ore and salts could bring in quite the revenue and the terrain was good for defensive combat.

"We are looking at Utapau as a good option. It would keep us close enough our enemies, but also give us some breathing room."

Lori listened as Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun explained what he deemed to be his Father's motives in all of this. The other people and governments that he had deals with served to benefit his fledgling Empire. And now it made sense as to why she was put into the fold. A marriage served a bigger contract than some trade deal. It opened up finances, people, resources and supplies to add to what he already had. In a sense, their two dominions would become one. Lori was also the new owner of MandalArms and she was certain that her aunt knew of that as well and had told them.

"Sometimes it's wise to keep your friends close and your enemies closer...My parents had to do the same thing, making deals with governments that weren't high on the morality list, yet it was all done to protect their people. In the end it helped their Empire to last longer than most would...."

Rex then went on about his history, which caught Lori by surprise. He wasn't a biological son at all, but someone found, someone that Heath had moulded in whatever way that he wanted. "He must of seen something special in you. To be adopted by a King and living a lavish lifestyle is a dream of nearly every orphan that has ever lived. You are lucky..."

She hung her head a little as she thought of her own parents, missing them and the days of her youth when they were all together and happy. Everything felt carefree then. Now it seemed that everything that she did or didn't do had consequences.

"My aunt and your Father both work in the shadows, and like you I am more out in the open. However it seems that neither of them are...malicious in their intent..." She paused for a moment, mulling things over, trying to see what other angles there could be in this arrangement, yet she wasn't as good at strategic thinking as others in her family were. Lori was the type to act on impulse, which had gotten her into trouble on numerous ocassions while growing up. "Alright Rex, I'll go through with this arrangement. I will marry you, so long as you promise to always be honest with me and can handle my stubborness. And I will promise to do the same. Deal?" Lori held out her hand for him to shake.

Meanwhile Rowena listened to Heath's suggestion, though the planet didn't ring any bells. But that was nothing that a bit of research couldn't fix. "Well I'm sure that my niece and what she brings to the table would help you with that. Afterall, who couldn't trust the Face of a Rebellion? If she was seen to think that your dominion over Utapau was a good thing, then their people would hardly object." Lori fought oppression and hostile takeovers from Imperial forces. Rowena figured that if she was seen to support the Elysium Empire, than resistance would be minimalized. It was a good plan.

Rex listened as Loreena explained how her parents were similar to Heath, making deals in the dark to benefit the kingdom. Rex realized that, maybe, if he was king, he would do no different. Maybe being a king changed one's morals to do what must be done. For Rex it wasn't a moral dilemma, it was a personality conflict. He simply wasn't the type. But hearing Loreena explain how her parents did the same made him wonder if he too would make such choices. One day he would find out. Until then he needed to focus on the present.

Loreena proceeded to claim that she believed Heath saw something in Rex that made him chose to save him. This was undeniable, but Rex had no clue what Heath could have seen that would make him chose what was, at the time, a savage. Why not chose an orphan, a refugee like those that made up The Elysium Empire? Maybe one day he would find out.

Loreena's final statement was the biggest one. She offered to go through with the arrangement. They would be married, and The Elysium Empire would benefit. However she had a request. He had to promise to put up with her stubbornness and to always be honest. He could do that. But it was him, not her that was still unsure. She hadn't had time to truly think about the whole thing. While he may have earned her trust enough for her to accept today, he had spent a week deciding whether to agree to the marriage or not.

He was ready, but he wasn't sure that she was. He felt that, if he were to make the deal now, he would be tricking her in a way. That is why he did not extend his own hand, yet. Instead he quietly responded,

"Not yet, Loreena. You have only had a day. That isn't enough time, we've only talked this one time. You are making a commitment that will last your entire life. I can't let you make it with so little time to decide..."

He paused, formulating an idea, then continued

"I can tell your aunt that it is my decision to wait just a bit longer if you would like, that way you don't need to be the "problem" to her."

HE had one more thing to add, "If, in a week, you decide to go through with it then yes. I accept. And I promise you that even if this is just political, I will do everything I can to make you happy. Maybe...and any droid would tell us the odds are against us...but maybe this can turn into something more natural."

He said the word "natural" with a softer tone, almost as if he were asking her rather than making a statement. He told no lies. His father may be more caring than he, but he was not a cold person. He would put her interests before The Elysium Empire. At least this time...for something so major. He simply hoped that Heath would forgive him for jeopardizing something so important....

---------
Rowena's idea was good. Loreena would be a massive asset in many ways, and to support The Elysium Empire publicly would be just another way for her to help. "An excellent call. Thank you, I am glad to have made such a valuable ally. I wonder how Rex and Loreena are doing...." His voice trailed off, leaving any guesses unstated. He knew that Rex would do what must be done for The Empire, just as he had done what he needed to do to survive The Wilderness.

Lori lowered her hand slowly as Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun declined. It felt like a rejection, something that she was used to. But deep down she knew that he was looking out for her own best interests. Sort of. Perhaps he was having doubts and second thoughts.

Yet his offer seemed genuine, even that in being the scapegoat when it came to her aunt.

She folded her arms across her chest, not in defiance so much as it was just in thought. How was she to spend the week? Run off on her own? Talk with her bodyguard? Allow herself to be talked out of it entirely? Or something else?

"How do we go about this extra time? Should we spend it together? Or would you rather have me be on my own?" Either way would work, but the former might have more results than the latter. At least by the way of them getting to know eachother.

Rowena knew that her idea was a good one. She nodded to Heath in acknowledgement of the fact. Yet his trailing question made her curious as well. So she tilted her head to the side a little in the direction that the two had gone and listened for a moment or two. "Well I don't hear any yelling...So that's a good sign." It was doubtful that the two killed eachother, so there was no worries in that regard. "I'm sure that they'll be back soon."

Personally, Rex wanted to spend it together so he could revaluate his own choice as he got to know Loreena. However it may be better that she have some time alone to consider without his influence. He decided to propose a balance.

"What do you think of us spending a few days together, and then taking the last few days apart? It'd let you get to know me more, but it would also allow you to think without my presence."

Rex sincerely hoped she didn't take his hesitation as anything other than what it was: Compassion. He could imagine her taking it wrong, like a rejection, or a way to scheme, or worse. In reality he wanted the marriage to work, and for it to work, she had to be sure. The only thing making him doubt the whole situation was his desire to finally live free, but maybe he could live free even if he married her. She seemed like the tyoe that wouldn't hold him back.

But that was the future. He couldn't predict it, which was why his offer was not just good for Loreena, but good for himself...

-------
Heath simply nodded, not in agreement, but in acknowledgement. He was starting to worry. Perhaps he was foolish to do so. Rex owed him, if he didn't go through with the marriage for the greater good, he would do it for Heath. The King put his negative thoughts away....the long delay as probably normal. He wouldn't know, he had never been successful in even getting a girl to go out with him before. He literally had no experience in the field of love. He couldn't be having doubts without reason, it'd' just worry him.

In the meantime he waited for whatever celebration Rowena had ordered...

Get to know him more? The more that Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun spoke, the more it seemed as though his mind was already made up and that it was she that needed the convincing. In some ways she did, but she had already agreed in principle to the marriage. Most that knew her would jump on the fact that she had agreed to do something that they wanted straight away before she had a chance to back out.

Yet it was almost as though Rex was giving her the opportunity to keep that option open. She could deny him, her aunt and the Elysium Empire of some grand future that they foresaw for themselves....

Either way it seemed as though the power was in her hands.

"Alright. We'll go on a hike, more like a camping expedition in the mountains for a few days. Just the two of us. No droids, drones or bodyguards. Then I'll take my extra days to reflect on everything. Although I'm sure that being told to wait would really fluster my aunt." Lori snickered at the thought. It was the least that she could do to her for springing such a lifechanging decision on her.

"Shall we go back and tell them?"

The Butler walked in, followed by members of staff that were wheeling in covered silver platters of food. The cake was also presented, with four tiers, all covered in what looked like melting candies cascading down each layer. The smells of the afternoon meal wafted throughout. A wall was pushed aside by the staff, revealing another room with a banquet table. There all the platters were set down.

Rowena got to her feet and instead of going to where the lunch was being prepped, she made her way to one of the windows, scanning outside for the pair. It took a moment but she spotted them in the distance. "They appear to be talking still. But not to worry, I won't allow for the lunch to get cold."

Rex smiled as Loreena agreed to the offer. They would take a week to know each other and come to a decision, a true decision, not a forced one made with just an hour of preparation. The event sounded fun...a camping expedition in the mountains. Rex had survived the wilderness, but not the mountains. It'd be new terrain to him, and he looked forward to the challenge, but also the experience of doing something different for once.

"We shall. Would you like me to tell them, or would you prefer to tell them yourself?"

---------------
Heath watched as the servants brought in a massive meal. There were many kinds of food, each looking delicious. The thing that caught Heath's attention the most was the large cake. It clearly had the little Orange candies melting on it. A nice touch and a sign showing how observant Rowena could be. Heath couldn't help but smile when he noticed it. He was becoming addicted to those candies!

While Heath looked at the meal, Rowena had gotten up and looked for Rex and Loreena. Apparently they were still talking and Rowena planned to call them in. Heath simply gave the woman a nod, unsure of what to say. The food was hot, it could wait a bit longer, but he was a guest and he didn't want to be out of place. If Rowena wanted to call them in, he wouldn't stop her.

"I'll tell them. You had already come here with your mind made up, remember? It probably wouldn't look so good if you suddenly changed your mind after meeting me. I don't care what others think of me, I've disappointed many for not living up to their expectations of me, so it'll be better for me to handle it. Besides, my aunt deserves to sweat a little for springing this on me, doesn't she?" Lori grinned a little and then turned on her heel, inviting Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun to do the same as they began their walk back to the Estate.

Meanwhile Rowena was about to get one of the staff to fetch them when she saw them turn around and start to head back. "Ah, here they are. They look to be heading this way. Everything appears in order, as I expected." She sipped her wine, very pleased with herself as she returned to Heath. Of course she couldn't miss that he was looking hungrily at the cake that she had made special for him. "I do hope that you like the cake. I can have my baker give you the recipe so that you can have it at home, if you'd like."

Rex followed Loreena with a large grin on his face. He didn't know if she saw it as she turned around or not but he had barely contained his laughter when she stated that her aunt deserved to sweat a little. He hadn't expected her to say it, which is what made it funny to him. He was speaking casually to her, but it was still formal due to the situation. At least, too formal for him to take a jab like that (Not that it had stopped him from being honest about Heath just moments ago.)

As he followed Loreena the smile stuck with him. Today had been successful in several ways. Even if Loreena decided in a week to not go through with things, he would have made a friend. At least from his point of view. Maybe Loreena felt completely different and only accepted initially out of duty. He wasn't certain, but it felt like a victorious day, so the smile remained....

--------
Heath grinned as Rowena explained that everything was looking in order. His grin turned into a smile as Rowena clearly noticed he was eying the cake, and thus offered him the recipe. "I appreciate it, though I'm not sure that I could make it look nearly is good. I'm far from a cook."

"Don't you have chefs of your own? A King shouldn't have any of his time wasted by cooking. There are much more important things that are in need of your attention, aren't there?" Surely he could afford his own chefs and cooks? A lot of ships and stations that she had been on board had plenty of state-of-the-art kitchens that could rival any of the kitches on world. "Well if not, then I'm sure that I could arrange a wonderful cook for you." It could almost be an engagement party present, if need be.

Lori didn't see the grin on Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun 's face, but she did feel the lightened mood coming from the both of them as they walked back in. It was certainly different than how it was from when she first led him out of the Estate for them to chat.

Once inside the sitting room, she paused to look at the food waiting for them on a table in an extension to the room that she didn't even know existed. Her eyes then fell to Heath and her aunt. Lori figured that it was best to just dive into it. "After careful consideration, I've decided to.....put my decision into this marriage on hold for a week. Rex has agreed to spend a few days with me in the mountains. ALONE. No bodyguards, no staff, no drones or droids following us around. This isn't a decision to be made lightly. I don't want to regret it. You may have already made this decision for me, but I prefer to have a choice and I should have a say in the matter, duty or not. I just need a week."

Rowena hadn't expected that. And for the moment, she was so taken aback that she was a bit speechless.

Heath replied to Rowena's question promptly Of course we have chefs, and a few droids...but I don't ask them to cook for me. I stick to noodles, packaged foods, and leftovers. You must understand there are many refugees in my Empire. Most cooks are refugees, as it is they make me food constantly as a way to thank me. I couldn't possibly ask for more." Heath was telling the truth. He hated asking them to cook for him. It was compassion like this that Rex did not seem to share. Heath sometimes wondered if he had made the right choice in making Rex his heir. The young man seemed so conflicted sometimes.

His thoughts were interrupted when Loreena entered the room, closely followed by Rex. She looked at him, then to Rowena, and delivered the news that she decided she would take a week to decide. It was surprising, and Heath did not know how to respond. Across from him, Rowena appeared to be faring no better in the struggle to formulate a response.

The biggest issue was that she wanted to spend the week with Rex, without any supervision or even guards. That sounded like a terrible idea. Two young adults, barely in their twenties, alone together without anyone to protect them? Then again, Heath was trusting them to be mature enough to get married. For some reason it just didn't sound right to him.

Heath was worried, as any monarch would be, that this would end in a failure and an embarrassment to him and The Empire. However, he understood Loreena's concerns. He simply couldn't let her do this. He had a plan, it had been going so well, and now she threatened the whole thing.

He wanted to reply, but he could not think of the words. Instead he looked to Rowena, hoping she could remedy the situation. After all, it was her niece causing the issue, not his son.

Meanwhile Rex simply watched the events unfold. He would step in if necessary, but for now nobody had said anything. Loreena could probably handle whatever the response would be.....

Rowena was sure to get a personal chef for Heath once everything was set in motion. At the moment, however, her plans seemed to have stalled. Heath looked equally as baffled and Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun seemed to be just observing. It was not exactly what she had imagined would happen.

"A....few days? Together?...Alone? My dear Loreena, I don't think that that is safe. You are already a target and going off on your own would only make it easier for them."

"We'll be fine. Trust me! The worst that can happen is that it'll rain and we could get soaked."

"Or you could fall off a cluff, or get bitten by a poisoness animal or insect. Really, Loreena, couldn't you just spend your extra days here?"

Lori huffed. "How are we to get to know eachother and find out if we can work together if we're under constant watch? Can't we have any privacy?"

Rowena raised a brow, glancing from Loreena to Rex and then to Heath. Once her eyes met the King's, her expression change from worry to sudden all-knowing joy. She gave him a wink and then turned her attention back to her niece. "Privacy... to get to know one another. Sure. But there will be guards. They will be on foot, the same as you. However you will have an hour head start, giving you enough space so that you two won't be heard as you....get to know eachother. And in case of emergency, you will have commlinks on hand to call out for help. That's the only way that you two will go off on your own. Take it or spend that time here at the Estate."

Lori looked over to Rex, studying his expression to see what he felt of the proposal her aunt had given her.

Heath knew exactly what Rowena was thinking. The wink confirmed her thoughts, and her sudden change of tone from disapproval to guarded approval likely let Rex and Loreena know what she was thinking as well. Heath stayed silent, slightly embarassed for Rex, but mostly because Rowena had already addressed everything he would have said.

Rex had watched the conversation go down, staying silent until the very end, when Loreena looked to him for input.

He had a few things to say. Rowena had changed her tone, and the pause between "you" and "get to know eachother" made it very clear what she was thinking. He didn't like her assumption, nor her proposal. He wouldn't make the conversation any more awkward by bringing up what everyone noticed. However he wasn't going to hide his opinion about her suggestion.

"Guards won't be necessary. From what I understand, Loreena knows how to survive. Even if she didn't, I know more than you may think. How would we know the guards are an hour behind? We will go alone."

He worded it as a statement, not a proposal, and not a question. Rowena had done the same, but he had simply ignored her tone. This was something he had taught himself when it cam to politics and negotiations. He was proving that he was in charge, not Rowena, not Heath, and not even Loreena. In the wilderness one had to be the Alpha to survive. Politics were no different.

He looked at Loreena, giving the slightest nod, then he looked Rowena right in the eyes as he waited for her response.

Rowena studied Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun as he spoke. She saw him taking charge or at least attempt to. A slight smirk on her face appeared as he made his own statement. Good. He was doing what she had expected. And knowing how Loreena was with her own headstrong and willfully stubborn attitude, Rex was able to assert himself just fine. That was just what her niece needed. "As you wish. But you'll have commlinks on you at all times in case there's trouble that neither of you can handle. Mnemysyne was attacked before in a bid to arrest my niece. I won't let that happen again."

Lori nodded to Rex twice, once before and then once again after her aunt spoke. Having commlinks was better than being followed around. It was a fair enough middleground. The worst of it was that they'd be tracked through electronics. But that was easy to work around too.

She knew he wasn't bluffing, and seeing her interests threatened, she backed off. Rex did not have a problem with carrying commlinks. It was reasonable, and something he planned to do anyways, just in case. It was the guards that were a problem, and now they were out of the picture. Before he agreed, he looked to Loreena, who gave a nod of approval. That settled it.

"A reasonable request, and one I will gladly adhere to."

Rex was glad that his attempt to take charge had paid off. Heath knew that Rex was in charge in the end, but with Rowena, it was a gamble. One that worked perfectly.

Heath still hadn't spoken, instead observing the negotiations. Rex was good...better than he was. That was good, it meant he could trust the boy to negotiate in his place if he were ever absent. But now it was time for him to step in.

"It's settled then. Rex, Loreena, you may spend a week together and return here to finalize things. You will not be followed, but you'll have commlinks in case an emergency should come up." He turned to Rowena, "Rowena, do you have anything to add?"

Rowena smiled again as Heath agreed with the new proposition as well. "The only thing that I have to add is; let's eat before everything gets cold." She waved her hand towards the table and then led the way towards it.

She chose her seat at the head of the table and sat down, waiting for the others to join her. Already the staff took their cue and entered, filling the plates with food and glasses with wine.

"And where will you two be headed on this little expedition of yours?"

"I haven't explored Mnemosyne much, so I was thinking that we'd do so here. Does that sound good to you?" They'd need to pack, but at least there wasn't any real distance for them to travel.

Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun

Heath and Rex each took a seat at the table as the servants brought the food out. Heath starting eating instantly, while Rex took a moment, letting everyone else begin eating. Maybe it was nerves, or maybe he was trying to be political. Heath didn't know, nor did he really care.

Rowena asked where the two were going. It was a good question, and Loreena answered it, claiming they would stay on Mnemosyne. But then she asked Rex, as if the two hadn't discussed it. Heath watched...

...as Rex simply gave a nod. He didn't care where they went, it was irrelevant to him. What was important is what would happen during the journey. He had high hopes, Loreena and himself were on the same frequency it seemed. She was independent and stubborn. Rex was as well...though more recently than ever before.

He began eating the delicious food as he waited for the others to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom