Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hyperspace and Dominions

Akatan Adasca

The Arkanian Dragon
So I was looking over the map update and realized something, figured I'd ask here to see if the issue had been formerly discussed and/or dismissed. Have we ever considered including hyperspace routes into the range for dominions? Let me give an example.

Currently, you can dominion one hex away without having to add an automatic 50 posts to the dominion to claim territory. What if that was modified to incorporate hyperspace routes in a rule such as this: Dominions completed from an initial point of a hyperspace route can extend two hexes away from the current domain, assuming the planetary dominion occurs within a hex containing the hyperspace route.

An example of this being implemented: The Mandalorians could dominion northeast, along the Hydian Way up to Ruria or Ession. The Republic could dominion south, from the Corellian Run, down to Triffis, Leimra, or Thaera. Similarly, from Denon, they could use the Hydian Way to stretch down into Kira, Seltos, Delta IV, etc. And for these examples, it would be that within 2 hexes would not require additional posts but then after that, would require an additional 50 per hex.

It's just an idea I was thinking about: would add value to locations that have hyperspace routes for the conquering nations, would improve the potential reach of major factions while also making them susceptible to cloudbreaking, and would potentially incorporate hyperlanes both into OOC and IC planning in a realistic/fun way.

Could go so far as to include this into invasions as well.

Add an extra hex to where a major faction can invade, so long as it's on route with the Hyperlane.

Makes strategy that much more important.

[member="Akatan Adasca"]

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Akatan Adasca"]

Adjustments to the Top Rules are unlikely at this point. There must be a tremendous amount of real benefit to get the rules to change. Real social benefit to the community at large. Simply adding "Game Mechanics" offers nothing more than a unnecessary level of complexity to a game designed to be a simple as possible.

This is a fun idea. But the Staff I've known for two years now is more keen to remove game complexities, rather than add them. Cheers. :D

As much as I don't want to tell you "JSC is right", our rules are probably at the height of their complexity what with companies, dominions, invasions, major factions, minor factions, multi-factions, factions on factions, faction barbecue, faction shrimp, faction soup...

31RjVDw.gif

Akatan Adasca

The Arkanian Dragon
[member="Jay Scott Clark"] | [member="Tefka"]

Gotcha, just seeing if it was worth consideration - give hyperlanes value and what not.

[member="Sanya Val Lerium"]

I don't really see how it wouldn't be fair to give these lanes value. And yeah, I didn't know if the staff had considered it but I figured it was worth asking.:)

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Akatan Adasca"]

It was a great idea. Totes was. You'll just find that empowering the members and their stories usually comes from the members themselves these days. Staff is very hands off and many of us see that as a good thing.

As a sidenote. Changing the game is very simple. Just add whatever it is your thinking about into your stories and ask that your writing partners all follow along. In this way, even Invasions can create game changing mechanics on a whim. You don't need the "Blessing of Staff" to do something humongous or world-shaking. They allow all of that already. All you have to do is ask that everybody in the thread play according to your new rules. Whether that be a Dominion where only Jawas are allowed to post. Or, an Invasion where only Snow Balls can be thrown. ...You can do all of this and more. All you have to do is ask that everybody follow along.

We can create our own META in every single thread we make. All we have to do is compromise and play along. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom