Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make/edit videos?

Huxy

[ Message Received ]
Ok, so I wasn't sure where to ask this so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong forum. So I wanted to look into video-making, specifically making SW tribute videos, like one involving the relationship between Maul and Kenobi and all that it ensues. Only problem is, I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm not sure how to identify the proper music choice, and I'm not sure how to do a 'story-board' I guess is the right word. I'm not sure what to use for what and how to make the whole video make sense without it being a jumbled mess.

Hi. Professional videographer here.

Firstly, I'll say that nowadays, a lot of people think making a video/video editing is easy and that they can do it. In my experience, this isn't true. You don't seem to be one of those people, however, or else you wouldn't have posted here asking for help. That's the first indication that you're doing the right thing.

One of the best resources I can think of off of the top of my head is Film Riot. There are others like Rocket Jump that are also incredibly useful. Look them up on YouTube. A lot of them go into the actual filming process of making a video, which from your post, you might not seem interested in, but they still have good videos on editing.

The best piece of advice I could probably give you is this: just watch movies and videos. More than that, though, pay attention to them. Look at the details, notice when they do certain things and when they don't. When does the music swell? When do they cut? What works, what doesn't? At what points do you feel inspired by a video/movie, and then try to figure out why.

There's a bit of a learning curve to this, and while some people just have a raw talent for this sort of thing, it still needs to be trained and refined. Don't be discouraged if your first couple of videos don't turn out the way you thought they would, or if you don't get great feedback for them. Keep at it, learn from your mistakes, and always be trying to create something. I always learn best when I just get to it and figure out what I did wrong later.

Anyways, essay over. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

[member="Arcan Castilion"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom