Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how big can a terrestrial vehicle be?

i want to make this.
11_by_duskie360-d9efncm.png

Esentialy a Star destroyer on tracks.

[member="Kalis Affassa"]
In World War 2 the Germans constructed the Maus, a vehicle so large it was too heavy for any of the bridges in Germany to hold.

Your problem is that except over the most level, unobstructed and firm terrain it'll be useless. It's also a prime target for artillery, air attack and mines.

You can improve its protection, but that only makes it heavier and slower, and good luck moving it by air. Essentially you'd need to make it repulsorlift but in doing so it's such a vast power requirement that it'd probably need a massive reactor to even lift off.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"] i know a bout the maus and rat. the plan is more a 1000 ect meter base as opposed to a full er star destroy.
think Mortal engines and traction cities.
im thinking its a re-purposed thing.[member="Valiens Nantaris"][member="Captain Larraq"][member="Atheus"]

Macharius Solaire

M
66497597.png
Consider the following.​

[member="Kalis Affassa"]​
I think your three biggest problem isn't protecting from ground attacks since we have shields. And something this big would have good ones. But as [member="Valiens Nantaris"] pointed out, mobility issues.

Maintenance problems. Can you imagine the monumental undertaking it would be to install or repair those tracks. I've done a track installation on a Snowcat, which arn't very big nor heavy compared to a tanks, but it's not a cake walk. But this is just obscene. You'd need something that could pull hundreds of thousands (millions?) of tons of track up into place, then somehow pin the tracks together. What I'm getting at is maintenance work would be extreme on its very large pieces. And the constant fixes and preventative maintenance on everything else.

Cost. Lets face it, this thing is a kitchen sink on treads cause you're just gonna be throwing credits down it. Maintenance, fuel, personnel, consumables. Whatever else this thing will use. All for sitting on a world cause its certainly to heavy to lift off world. No one would ever dare attack it upfront. It may be a giant mobile fortress but where's it gonna run to when a fleet starts bombarding it? A waste of a billion credits when they slag it.

I don't wanna knock you from trying. But something this large, technical, and expensive would only be feasible by the largest companies with serious major faction backing to make and maintain it. Your better off buying Star Destroyers for 150-200 million credits a pop with more firepower and maneuverability.

The Purple People also wouldn't like it without serious dev threads.

In conclusion. To answer your question. Yes, it is possible to build something this large. Is it feasible, not in the slightest. It's got superweapon syndrome all over it and some former dirt farming, backwater world, Jedi terrorist would blow it up with a glow stick and some grenades. Or aforementioned fleeter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom