Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Horrible Stabber

Status
Not open for further replies.
7773f12cd46fbbbecb3db6b12789337c.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: To create a new and interesting weapon and expand the range of products made by workshop
Image Source: Here
Canon Link: Ostrine Edge, Vibroblade/Vibroweapon,
Primary Source: NA

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
Manufacturer: House Larraq Plate and Blade
Model: Osik'la Kalikir "Horrible Stabber"
Affiliation: Closed Market
Modularity: None
Production: Semi-unique
Material:
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Classification: Sword
Size: One-Handed
Weight: Average

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Emits a low whine when active
Strengths:
  • Capable of ignoring Force Barriers touched by the blade
  • The blade (and only the blade) is capable of ignoring the effects of Force based attacks
  • Capable of piercing heavy and exotic armor
  • Capable of cutting light armor
  • Even small cuts can cause gaping wounds
  • Absorbs heat to an extreme extent and can cause severe frostbite
  • Phrik Blade diffuses electricity efficiently enough to prevent Power Cell explosion (in most cases)
  • Vibroblade Mechanism capable of self-repair (though a new power cell will need to be installed)
Weaknesses:
  • Touching bare flesh to metal blade causes frostbite
  • Touching bare flesh to metal handle causes painful and numbing cold
  • Vibroblade's Power Cell prone to exploding when exposed to high concentrations of electricity
  • Vulnerable to mechanical tampering (EMP and such)
DESCRIPTION

Like any other vibrosword, Osik'la Kalikir swords incorporate advanced mechanical components in the hilt of the weapon that enables the blade to vibrate at extreme, ultrasonic frequencies. While activated, a simple cut from these weapons can cause horrible, gaping wounds and profuse bleeding. Even contact with the flat of the blade, while activated, can cause severe bruising and is capable of causing internal bleeding or organ damage (depending on where the metal is touching). However, the exotic metal alloy of the blade itself makes these weapons even more hazardous. Forged from an exotic alloy of Phrik and Plas-Bonded Ostrine, these swords possess an abnormal and extreme thermal conductivity, so much so that prolonged contact with the blade can super-chill any substance, with a simple touch being enough to cause frostbite to any exposed flesh and direct contact for a few moments or longer being enough to cause a much more severe case of frostbite. While the blade it activated, this enables these weapons to inflict tremendous damage to soft tissue and cause incredibly painful wounds of gaping, frozen flesh that quickly become necrotic if left untreated and become increasingly painful as the damaged area thaws.

Designed for use against heavily armored Force Users, Osik'la Kalikir swords combine mechanical engineering and advanced metallurgy to optimize armor penetration during thrusting attacks while also maximizing the damage the weapon can inflict upon soft tissue. This is achieved through a number of means and begins with the material from which it is constructed. While not quite as durable or as light as pure Phrik, the alloy these blades are made from is cast-forged at extreme pressures to increase the density of the metal and bring its durability closer to that of pure Phrik, but at the expense of making the metal even heavier. Thanks to this high density though, and thanks to the shape of the blade itself, these swords are capable of withstanding extreme structural stresses originating from the point of the sword, and cause them to excel at piercing armor during thrusting attacks. This natural design principle is further enhanced by the type of vibroblade mechanism chosen for these swords. Using a Focused Vibrator Cell that concentrates the blade's vibrations more towards the tip than upon the blade itself, these swords are capable of piercing heavy, high density metals and can even be used to pierce beskar plating.

While Vibroblades typically are poorly suited for use against such weapons as electrostaves or a force user intent on hurling lightning, the Phrik alloy these blades are made from is capable of diffusing electricity to a sufficient extent to prevent damage to the weapon's power cell in most situations. To further this protection against electric-induced explosive hand loss, (among other benefits) the final stage of creating these blades involves applying an exotic wax sealant to the blade. This wax sealant is derived from the sap of the Aal'run Flower, a vong-shaped creature that is an aberration to the force and immune to the effects of most force abilities. While the full scope of such an exotic property is not conferred to these blades, the abhorrent properties of the wax are sufficient to protect the weapon from most force abilities. While this might enable the blade of this weapon to slip through a force barrier, or to prevent a force user from crushing or warping the blade itself, it does nothing to prevent a force user from directly targeting the mechanical mechanisms of the weapon and does nothing to dissipate larger force abilities that effect a wide area.

However, knowing that it would be impossible to fully stop a force user from finding a way to damage the vibroblade mechanisms of these weapons, it was chosen to incorporate Laminanium into all wiring and mechanical parts of the weapons so that, should they become damaged in spite of all preventative measures, they could at least be repaired (and the power cell replaced).

Hello, So I like this blade, certainly something that has been well thought out.

My only grievence is the fact that the blade seems to completely dissipate some force powers and that does not seem likely given the fact a void stone "Dampens" force powers and makes them weaker.

Mishka Larraq said:
While this powder (encapsulated along the surface of the blade's flat sides) is far less potent than solid stones of the material and does not produce an 'aura' of nullification, it is sufficient to enable direct contact with the blade of the weapon to negate most force abilities and enchantments
In my eyes this is a contradicting statement. The void stone powder used here is "Far less potent" yet it's abilities are described as able to surpass that of the void stone. Unlike a Ysalamari field or a Force Dead individual, the void stone does not completely mute the Force powered effects, it merely weakens them.

To make a simple adjustment, you could say the blade weakens the effects of force powers it comes into contact with, but it cannot completely stop the ability.

[member="Mishka Larraq"]

[member="Adron Malvern"]

I did a little digging, because part of your statements confused me. The bit about how the effect I was going for surpassing the abilities of a solid chunk of void stone...

Canon sources don't specify if the dampening effect is universal or if it is gradual, or if it is stronger at the center. But almost all submissions on Chaos that use Void Stone universally agree that the effect should become more pronounced the closer to the center you get. And several submissions specify that there is a point at 6 inches or less where force abilities are either completely nullified or simply dampened to the point of uselessness. I think someone even subbed a bunker that used that as the basis for preventing external Ysalamiri fields from overlapping and enveloping the bunker...

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that I don't see the point of contact nullification as exceeding the capabilities of Void Stone (be it canon, or chaos canon). Honestly, I could get much better results from attaching a chunk of void stone into the pommel or inlaying treated voidstone into the flat of the blade itself. Actually, the original draft for this weapon included void-stone inlays, but I didn't want the aura effect and wanted something much more toned down. So I went with the powder route because I wanted to nerf the original submission a bit and get a much more simplified and focused effect.

If you disagree with my view on how Void Stone works at 'touching' ranges, I can go ahead and tweak the submission. Having given it some thought, I could achieve the same effect by giving the sword a coat of waxy varnish or sealant that's made from some force dead plant or animal. Which would actually free me up to use a different secondary restricted material in this submission... add Ionite or isotope 5... get it to bypass shields or warp lightsaber blades... There are a lot of odd effects I could add to this sub, so it's no sweat if you're not happy with the way it is now. I just thought I'd make my case for keeping it the way it is, since it's sitting at that nice, elegant spot where it's very effective, but still simple and straight forward.

Like I said. Just let me know. I got the ductape ready and waiting if you want me to go ahead and tweak this thing.

So i understand precisely what you are going for, however i believe we have a slight miscommunication. I have no problem with the usage of the void stone. However since you are using a "less potent" powder, i do not think the nullification effects would be powerful enough to dissipate a force attack or nullify a barrier, as you say it can here:

Mishka Larraq said:
Capable of ignoring Force Barriers touched by the blade Capable of dissipating Force Attacks touched by the blade
Rewording it to sound a little less absolute would be a way to adjust this.

My main point is this sword should not be able to cut through a force barrier like a knife through butter, or cause force lightning to completely dissipate upon contact. Did this clear it up a bit?

[member="Mishka Larraq"]

[member="Adron Malvern"]

Oh I get that. But part of the main MO for this sword is to do just that. Cut through a force barrier like a knife through butter.

So I have to ask; Are you requesting the edit for balance reasons or for technicality reasons? If you don't feel that Void Stone can achieve the desired effect due to technical reasons, I can make edits to the sub and use alternative means to achieving the desired effect. If you don't WANT this sub to be able to cut through force barriers for balance reasons, that is an entirely different issue and requires entirely different edits to the submission.

[SIZE=12pt]To answer your question, yes the problem is the material used. I just do not believe it could completely negate many force abilities. So please utilize a new substance for this submission[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Thank you for your patience. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][member="Mishka Larraq"][/SIZE]

[member="Adron Malvern"]

Ok. Tinkered away a bit.

Dropped Void-Stone as my second restricted material and replaced it with Laminanium in the mechanical parts.
Supplemented the force dampening effects of powdered Void-Stone with a wax varnish made from the sap of Aal'run Flower, a force dead Vong-formed plant.

​Take a look and give me your thoughts on any technical or balance related issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom