Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Home Sweet Home

Lehon: The Fulcrum

Petrichor stood at the entrance to the Fulcrum, watching the ships arrive and leave. It had been some time since he had been home, and it was a welcome site. He had been awaiting the arrival of Minka Vosh Minka Vosh for some time now. They had to part ways on Dantooine in order to evade the Imperials. Though he gave her a datadisc containing a coded method of locating the academy, he wasn't sure if she would be able to unlock the coordinates. He didn't doubt her abilities, but he was realistic about the focus it took to unlock the secret of the datadisc. In many ways, it was the first test to potential students. Today, however, he could sense that she was nearing the academy, so he continued to wait at the landing bay, accompanied by a pair of the Exalted.

He had genuinely curious as to if she would show. He knew that there was a level of distrust that the young Zabrak felt, but he was hoping to have broken through to her. Perhaps she would prove to be a valuable ally after all.

The winds seemed to pick up as yet another ship left the landing bay, breezing off into the distant atmosphere of the old Rakatan planet. There was always such a strange, beautiful movement within the Force here. One of sweet, beautiful darkness. Dark, yet calming. He had often wondered if it were always so. When he originally came upon the Rakatan ruin that later became his academy, he could feel the remnants of their destruction permeating the durasteel and stone. So many ghosts...

Upon sensing the arrival of the ship, Petrichor looked to the skies. It looks like she had figured it out. Very clever indeed.

The small starfighter that shuttled her down to the landing bay was proof that the Zabrak still harbored the same skepticism and distrust that she had on Dantooine. Again, her larger corvette was left cloaked, orbiting high above the atmosphere, controlled by her 'employed' droids with their customized protocols. It shouldn't come as a surprise. The true surprise was that she showed at all. To entertain civil conversation with Darth Petrichor Darth Petrichor in relatively neutral territory was one thing, but tracking him down to his own academy was another, which she hadn't planned on doing.

Initially, she decoded the disc he gave her simply for the curious challenge it presented When she had finished, and discovered its location to be Lehon, she promptly tossed it from her mind, and went about her business.

For a time...

Their conversation couldn't be so easily forgotten. His words grew like weedy vines in her mind. Coiling through her thoughts and leaving little hairline fractures in her concentration. What made it easier to distract her was her lack of direction. Dantooine had been her final stop within the current reach of the Sith Empire, and from there she had cast herself into wild space, where her biggest concern was pirates. Though concern wasn't the right word for it. She rather enjoyed toying with pirates. Maybe a little too much. It was a great way to let off steam, so long as she wasn't reckless.

Nevertheless, coming to Lehon became an intolerable itch that needed to be scratched. She wasn't entirely confident in her decision. In the least, it would be a waste of time and fuel. At most, she wouldn't leave the planet alive. Intuition pointed to the former being more likely, but years of training and experiences blindly insisted on the latter.

She emerged from the small ship in robes similar to what she wore before, shifting in the breeze. He stood there with his guard, as if he sensed the precise moment she would arrive. It was not comforting. Yet the moment she saw him, she felt that same calmness. Malice, contempt, impatience...those were familiar attitudes. The calmness...the pleasantness... It was difficult to accept that there was no expert manipulation disguised beneath.

"Lehon..." She stated evenly, stopping several feet away from him and his Exalted. An informal greeting, if it could be considered one at all. Her cool gaze left him to glide up the towering monolith that pierced the clouds beyond. It was a structure that had been there for some time. She could sense it. The tumultuous and ancient history was rich, and had left its imprint long before there were Jedi or Sith to battle over their religious views. She knew this planet, though she'd never been here.

"Why did you choose this place?" Her eyes narrowed curiously. The energy here was thick. She could feel it like a faint current tracing her nerves, and a jumble of inaudible whispers ghosting through her mind. Asking questions, making suggestions, taunting, inviting, all without spoken words. Seeming benign, in their gentle way, but they were not neutral. There was a deep reservoir of dark power here, almost as old as the land itself, and it had rippled much chaos and change throughout the galaxy, once upon a time. Yes, he had chosen this place, and not without careful consideration.

Petrichor eyed the ship as as it touched down. It was a sleek design, and looked like it had a surprise or two for anyone who'd dare try to take it down. Both elegant and practical, something Petrichor could certainly appreciate. As Minka Vosh Minka Vosh made her way off of the ship, Petrichor could sense the lingering uncertainty within her. He couldn't blame her. That had only met once, and anyone who met him the first time tended to err on the side of caution. At this point, he had gotten used to it.

He was genuinely amused by her question. On the surface it was a completely innocent question. Beneath, however, Petrichor knew she was lightly poking for answers. She could clearly sense the ancient energy that seemed to flow freely throughout the grounds. It was yet another example of her astute personality.

Petrichor took a moment to breathe in the Lehon air before speaking.

"You are very observant. There are several reasons for which I have chosen this place, and the energy here is certainly one of them. You see, in my time exploring the galaxy, I often found my greatest moments of clarity within places enshrouded by the energies of the Dark Side. Such places force you to either come to a greater understanding, or break under the pressure.

He took a couple of steps down toward her, motioning to the sky as he continued. The Exalted remained in place, standing still as stones.

"Considering the temptations that my students will inevitably face among the stars, I have chosen to temper their wills here. The more senior members of the Order are able to guide them in a controlled environment, away from others who would seek to corrupt their minds. Here, they can learn to test their limits without overexerting their will. The voices that you likely hear this very moment are a constant test of their control and understanding, and they spend many days and nights learning how to quiet them. Eventually, the voices are no longer heard."

Petrichor calmly stepped to her side, looking back to the entrance to the academy.

"Perhaps you would like to see for yourself?"

Weeks had gone by since she had laid eyes on his featureless mask. The exact number was unknown, and irrelevant, but it was enough time to make her arrival reasonably doubtful. Yet, his presence and speech made it seem as if little more than a brief interlude had passed between their first meeting and now. One more thing for her to find unsettling, through no fault of his own.

She listened to him speak, watching his approach silently. Just as she suspected, there were particular reasons for why he settled his academy here, though she knew there was bound to be more than what he expressed. This was far from the only planet in the galaxy to be home to such history and power.

"You had no doubt that I would show up." She stated with certainty, considering him with an inquisitive eye when he posed his question.

The ancient monolith was like a sleek, black gravestone for all the voices whispering through the Force. To a Jedi, or even a non-Force user, it would be an ominous sight. The energy would be eerie, if not foreboding. Minka, on the other hand, felt an unexpected ease, which struggled unnaturally with her will to remain guarded. A familiarity of being at home, without a trace of hostility. She could understand how the environment alone presented a constant test to the students who would train here, but it hit her differently.

In time, her answer came with a slight tilt and nod of her head. Signaling for him to lead the way.

"You immerse them in a constant hum of temptation and distraction in a controlled environment, until it becomes background noise they can switch off at will. Is that your first lesson in practicing control over the Dark side of the Force?" She mused as they strolled slowly towards the Fulcrum, past the mute Exalted that stood faithfully by. The air was densely humid, as expected for a jungle, but it was tolerably cool, with cloudy mists rolling through. Something she liked about this place. Jungles had always been a favorite.

The air seemed to shift slightly as they spoke. Everything on this planet had a history. Every rock, every tree, every blade of grass had some sort of story to tell, most of which weren't pleasant. But it as here, of all places in this blood-splattered galaxy, that Petrichor was able to find a level of piece. He could sense that she was looking for more answers to her question, and Petrichor was willing to provide them... in time.

"There was always a chance that you wouldn't. Then again, anything is technically possible, no matter how likely. I had a feeling that you would find your way here though."

He began leading the way up the stairs to the main entrance of the academy, listening intently to her observation as they made their way through the large archway at the top of the stairs.

"Precisely. The constant calling to the students keeps them attentive to their thoughts, and helps us to locate any potential weakness within them, thus allowing us to address problems before they arise."

As they passed through the entry to the academy's walls, they were met with a large, luscious courtyard, filled with all manner of exotic plants. Vines hanging from trellises and ancient statues were scattered around the gardens, accentuating both the history and beauty of the mysterious grounds. Many members of the Order could be seen bustling about. Mentors were teaching students various Force techniques, and the occasional squad of Petrite troopers could be occasionally seen patrolling the grounds. Some students and mentors could also be seen in small alcoves, holding themselves deep in meditation. The Fulcrum seemed to be one of both beauty and focus; a place of both peace and necessary diligence.

Petrichor motioned to Minka Vosh Minka Vosh as they walked through the gardens, beckoning her to his side.

"I am curious to hear your thoughts. Tell me, what are your first impressions?"

She might take it as an attempt to pry, but Petrichor had no intention of drawing any information out of her that wasn't given freely.

The black walls were an impenetrable presence, and yet they gave way to an elaborate courtyard within. A shield hiding its treasures to all but the worthy. Exotic plants decorated the pathways and stone statues. Vines, ferns, flowering bushes, and more. A taste of the wild jungle that reigned beyond the walls unchecked, was maintained and care for within. Order from chaos, molded to one's will. Given the structure and room to flourish, but not overcome. Was the poetry his, or hers? She didn't know, but she recognized it as clearly as the ethereal current of power humming like generator of life to the planet.

She wandered the courtyard leisurely. Taking her time, as if there was more to look at than there was. She was doing much more than looking, though. Eventually, her eyes slipped closed, and she stopped near an elaborate twirling of vines sewing its way through a trellis. Seeming to ease into her own meditation. Her senses spread out like a fishing net. Casting over the courtyard grounds and beyond. Out of curiosity, rather than paranoia. She explored everything, and everyone. Listening to the heartbeats, the conversations and lessons taking place, the surface thoughts of students, and even pricking the attention of some mentors who recognized her subtle interference, but couldn't place her whereabouts.

When Darth Petrichor Darth Petrichor motioned silently, her eyes opened and she looked at him. He wanted to hear her thoughts. Naturally... She had been quiet for some time now, but not for a lack of interest or opinion. There were many thoughts, some of which bickered or contradicted one another, and some which weren't ready to be shared.

"This is an academy in its purest form." She began thoughtfully, attention still somewhat torn between him and their surroundings. "Knowledge and discipline...everything else is secondary. It pushes for greatness, without punishing weakness. Not in the way the Sith that I know do."

Moving away from the trellis, she stood in front of a carnivorous plant. Thick curled leaves sprinkled with brightly colored and sticky dew drops reflected the light shifting in and out of the passing clouds above. The black leather glove was pulled from her hand, and she reached for a leaf that was wilting beneath the rest. A fingertip glided over the sticky drops, and the plant curled in on itself reflexively. As it did, it shriveled into a dehydrated shell, color dissipating into a lifeless greyish-brown. Aging and decomposing in a flicker of time. The energy it released was less than miniscule, but it was siphoned to her nonetheless in the tiniest life drain.

"You took a risk giving me the disc. You take a risk with everyone you bring here. And everyone who leaves, who graduates from your teachings and is released into the galaxy, becomes a liability." A small, fluttering insect whizzed above the plant. Drawn by the sweet scent of the dew, but reluctant to touch down. She lifted the finger that touched the dying plant, and after a moment, the insect landed.

"No matter how secretive you are, you send ripple after ripple into the galaxy. Eventually, one will be too large to ignore. Do you worry one of your students will have a change in perspective, and bring the Sith Empire to your door, purposely or consequentially? You have defenses here...but you would need more against the Empire. It would be a shame for something to happen to this place."

Though it might have sounded like a threat, especially with the dispassionate tone used, it was quite the opposite.

Slowly, her hand lowered with the insect perched on her finger, until she brushed it against one of the leaves. Caught by a wing, it struggled in the sticky trap, but the leaf rolled inward, sealing its fate. Minka smiled and glanced to him, pausing in thought. A strange mix of calmness and anticipation brewing.

"When that days comes, I would very much enjoy being here... I think your garden would flourish in their slaughter."

So little spoken, and yet so much revealed, if one listened with the right ear.

Last edited:

Petrichor could sense Minka Vosh Minka Vosh reaching out, feeling everything and everyone around her. He didn't take it as invasive. In fact, he had expected her to do it. He was hoping that her curiosity would lead her to flexing her ability within the Force, allowing herself to truly see what the academy was. He was certainly not disappointed.

"Indeed it is. There are few punishments here, outside of betrayal to the Order. Unfortunately, we have to be careful about our security, so those who seek to maliciously undermine our work have to be met with swift and decisive action. Not that we allow it to immediately get violent, mind you. We have our own methods."

It wasn't a lie. The members of the Order had proven their worth time and again, and disloyalty was a rare thing to be found within the academy walls. On the rare occasion that it had occurred, the Order would usually resort to memory rubs and other tricks to help those forget. It was rare that someone met their end as a punishment, although not unheard of.

"If there is no other way, then I make sure to do the deed myself. Since I have the greatest mastery of control among our number, it is only right that I take on such a burden. I wish to limit the violence within our walls, and I don't want my followers to carry unnecessary weight unless absolutely necessary."

He observed as she moved toward the plant, studying her actions as well as her words. She was right. The Order may have done a fine job maintaining its secrecy through the years, but deep down, Petrichor always knew that a day would come where they would have to step out of the shadows.

"It is true, our ripples continue to permeate the greater galaxy, even as we speak. There will come a day when we are no longer in hiding, and our enemies may very well find their way to our door."

As the insect met its fate, Petrichor let out a smile.

"You would be surprised, however, at how little we have to worry about such betrayal here. This is because I do not demand loyalty. I only ask that my followers understand why we are here. Only those who truly want to be with us remain. I do not send agents to other planets unless they are truly ready. As for those who do... my Exalted are very skilled at rooting them out."

He took a moment to run his fingers across another nearby plant; a large flower with blue-black petals. As he did, the flower emitted a strong, blue glow.

"You can't find this flower anywhere near a Dark Side nexus. It thrives on the light, and is choked by the Dark Side's energies. And yet, here, it flourishes. It is a testament to our work. My followers believe in our cause, and they would gladly lay their lives down for it."

He turned back to Minka as he continued.

"I told you that I went to Dantooine to see the destruction of the Sith's victims for myself, and that was true. The other reason for my expeditions, however, has been one of diplomacy. I have been slowly reaching out to individuals who may be able to help in the inevitable days of aggression against my people. As it turns out, even some of the more prominent Sith may be willing to support the cause. If the Empire were to come here, I think they would find more opposition than they'd expect."

He motioned toward the other end of the garden, where the path ended at the large, black doors to the academy itself, implying he wished for her to follow him. He began making his way to the doors as he spoke.

"I would be honored. You have many talents, perhaps more than even you or I know. There is great strength within you. Your separation from the yoke of my misguided brethren is a sign of such strength. Though I understand why you wouldn't want to call yourself a Sith, you embody the biggest trait of a true Sith. Instead of the lash, you chose freedom. Instead of becoming a pawn, you chose to forge your own destiny. That is what it truly means to be a student of the Dark Side, Sith or not."

The compliment he gave her was sincere, as far as she could sense, but she did not react beyond the searching glance over his mask. The mask that would tell her nothing. Neither would his face, but this she already knew. With her innate strength in psychic abilities also came the skill in reading others, whether in or outside of battle. Still, the reflexive suspicion lingered.

"Mmm... I suspected as much. You do have a knack for diplomacy." She admitted quietly, eyes shifting to the flower he touched. It was one she hadn't seen before, but the galaxy was vast. Her relatively brief time spent exploring what she could yielded many intriguing surprises, both unfortunate and mesmerizing. Naturally, the fact that it could not survive in the presence of the Dark energies alone was all she needed to hear.

"My Master would have crushed your garden out of spite, simply for the tolerance it shows for such living things...if she couldn't corrupt it. Anything of the Light repulsed her, so much that she could not physically cope with its presence. To eat a rotting corpse would have been easier for her to stomach." Her lip curled into a grin briefly, as she began to follow his lead towards the door across the courtyard. "Such irony... They will scream from their graves that those who follow the path of the Light are weak, and yet they manifest it as their own greatest weakness."

As she passed, she watched the flower for a moment, but did not touch. Though it wouldn't be damaged by her without intent, there was no benefit she could offer that one. Some things were best left alone.

"I would be curious to know who these other Sith are, that you've persuaded to ally with you. Nevertheless...I would be lying if I said I didn't relish the thought of meeting the Empire on a battlefield. The diplomacy would be left to you, because I have very little for them. But if you simply wish for a massacre, I would absolutely volunteer. No strings attached." Though her eyes now rarely glinted the fiery hue of corruption that was trademark of the Sith, the hatred and vengefulness was still very much a part of her. Something she didn't care to hide, for better or worse.

As they neared the door, her eyes roamed over his back. Whether he meant for her to walk next to him or not, for the moment, she trailed behind. Funny enough, that was when she paid him the most undivided attention. Something he probably sensed, as he had sensed everything else she had been up to so far. That being said, nothing she had done was meant to be secretive.

Such a calm and composed man. So much yet to be discovered. She wanted to pick. Dig around in his mind, deeper than he would allow. Test him in different ways, subtly and otherwise. Observe him stealthily, like a scientist learning a new species. They were more instincts than thoughts, and they'd been there her whole life. Any opponent, anyone with reason to catch her interest - good or bad - would be subject to it.

"Have there been many who have turned against you, after learning all you would teach them?" She agreed; it was his responsibility to neutralize any threat within his own borders. A master of anything, who couldn't control his own pupils, was a farce. "Perhaps you will show me this Mastery of yours... What I witnessed on Dantooine was the tip of the ice burg, wasn't it?" A rhetorical question, though posed as if she wanted an answer. She already knew the truth, but it was a poor substitute for raw experience - and that was something she coveted.

Darth Petrichor Darth Petrichor

Last edited:

He could see Minka Vosh Minka Vosh looking for answers, both through her eyes and her words. She seemed to be searching for something. Perhaps it was purpose, or perhaps truth. Perhaps she was just tired of the flowery words of Sith lords. Petrichor didn't react to her compliment with any more than a simple nod. He might not have possessed the inflated ego that had plagued the Sith for so long, but he was aware of his strengths. Thankfully, his time among the Sith had forced him to become accustomed to such political endeavors, for better or worse.

Petrichor couldn't help but to let out a chuckle at the comment about her master.

"She would have tried, but failed."

He was impressed by her next comment. It was always refreshing to hear another darksider come to such conclusions about the Sith.

"Indeed. That uncontrolled hatred of the light would have been her downfall, as it is with all of my wayward brethren. I may not be a follower of the Light, but I respect it, as we all should. It holds just as much sway over the galaxy as the darkness, and to ignore that simple truth is to limit your own perception, thus creating further weakness. It is one of the many examples of the ignorance that plagues the minds of the Sith."

He paused before opening the door.

"There is a fire within you. It gives you strength. I suspect it is why you have managed to survive in the ranks of the Sith as you have, as well as after. Take care though, if you get lost within it, you will find yourself down a path that would make you no different than those whom you despise."

It wasn't meant as a jab, but Petrichor would understand if it were taken as such. He could sense the survival mechanisms within her; a mix of distrust and rage that swirled around in an endless spiral. And yet, she didn't stay with her masters, indicating that there was more to be unlocked within her.

He then opened the door with the push of a button, revealing a large room, filled with more students and mentors, all in the midst of training. He walked through the doors as he continued.

"It is rare that a student completes their training only to leave. If it happens, it is often long before then. There was only one who got close, but even he hadn't quite made it through the entire process. A shame, really... he had potential. Such raw strength, but such rage to accompany it."

He let out a deep breath.

"Thankfully, that was long before I found my way here. If he were to look for me, it would be a long time before he found me. And by then, I would be more than ready for him."

He cracked a smile beneath his mask, looking back to her.

"Yes, it was the tip of the iceberg. If you wish see more, I will happily oblige."

It was a rhetorical answer to a rhetorical question. He knew that she was carefully choosing her words, even if they were sincere. She was looking into him as much as he was her, and he was okay with that. He motioned to another nearby doorway, leading to a large, open room, peppered with a variety of large objects. The walls were lined with waterfalls, which flowed into a large pond in the center of the room. Above the pond stood a platform, with two large, curved staircases leading up each side.

"Through here."

With those last words, he walked into the room.

Tracing his steps through the courtyard's exit and into a training room - one of many, she supposed - she fell quiet for a time. Mulling over her thoughts, in light of some things he said. The Light versus the Dark... Her perspective of the Force itself had gradually shifted over the years she spent dedicated to learning everything she could about it. A shift that was slow to begin, and had rapidly accelerated over the past couple of years. Even more so over the last few months. Nothing had impacted her viewpoint quite like her impromptu exile. The rigid and harsh indoctrination of the Dark side's superiority dissolved in an acid wash the moment the hypocrisies and betrayals began to unravel around her.

Like a violent kick from the safety of the nest. Except that nest had been her greatest enemy in disguise, all along. How couldn't one change their perspective after that? That being said, not all of those changes were for the better, but they never were. Nothing was purely good nor evil, but a mix of both, if one insisted on such labels. They were further convoluted by different perspectives and experiences.

As of now, she was beginning to regard the Force as simply the Force, rather than a two-faced coin of Light and Dark.

"I understand your concern..." She began finally, in response to his assessment of her intolerance for the Empire. "I am not incapable of diplomacy, and I do not act without thought. If I did...our introduction would have gone a different route." A very violent route, which likely would not have ended in her favor.

"Let me rephrase. I am diplomatic with those who earn it. If the Empire were to show up on your doorstep with the intent to absorb or destroy your academy, then in my eyes, they have already forfeited any diplomacy I might have entertained them. It would take only a small nudge though, and I admit...a part of me would be disappointed if they did play nice."

When their journey paused again, they were standing in a large room framed in a cascading wall of water. It was a strange set up, which she assumed functioned as another kind of training for his students. Unless it was meant to be a meditation room, but that seemed unlikely. Whatever it's purpose, she approved the moment she took it in, but she was biased. Water had always been something she was drawn to, whether placid or turbulent.

"You didn't kill him...?" She mused quietly, referring to his former student. Drifting past Darth Petrichor Darth Petrichor , she made her slow ascension of the stairs in front of her. This room only increased her desire to explore the jungle beyond the walls of the academy, because there would surely be plenty of natural waterfalls hiding in the exotic labyrinth. Whether or not she actually would had yet to be decided, but she was entertaining the thought more than she did when she first arrived.

At the platform above, her gaze swept the room. Energizing and soothing... She always did enjoy contrast, and she looked for it unconsciously. It all spiraled down into an obscured aspiration for balance.

"Oblige me."

Looking down at him, she smiled.

Petrichor was pleasantly surprised at her devotion to the academy's existence. He hadn't expected that she would be so ready to defend it should the need arise. It was good to hear though. The more friends Petrichor made, the more effectively he could continue his work.

"I admit, as much as I seek to minimize the bloodshed, I am inclined to agree. Anyone who seeks to harm my followers or my work has lost any hope of reprieve from me. The security of the Order is tantamount to our mission."

He paused his step for a moment when questioned about his former apprentice. There was still a part of him that wrestled with the encounter, even though it had been years.

"In truth, I thought I had. He put up quite the fight, as all Mandalorians do, but in the end, his anger allowed me to defeat him. I ran him through and sent him falling down a cliff. I thought that would be the end of it. Years later I began hearing whispers of a Mandalorian Sith, operating on the fringes of the galaxy. I knew it had to be him."

He let out a sigh as he crossed through into the room.

"It truly was my mistake. I should have made sure he was dead."

He watched Minka Vosh Minka Vosh as she ascended to the platform. Some of her suspicion seemed to be replaced with an eagerness. Petrichor wasn't sure if it was to learn, or to test his skill. Perhaps it was both. He took a moment to gather himself, then with one swift motion, he leapt from the floor to the platform. Off to the side of the platform was a rack holding training sabers. Petrichor reached out through the Force, pulling on of them toward him. Once it was in his hand, Petrichor ignited the blade. It couldn't cause any true harm, but it served as a decent replacement when practicing.

"Very well then. Defend yourself."

With those words, Petrichor made his move. None of the strikes were directed at her torso, but rather, at her arms and legs. Petrichor was testing her reactions and movement. As a former Sith assassin, she likely would have no problem maneuvering around his blade. But just as she would test him, he would test her. It was time to see what she was made of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom