Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech High Colonel Caelag Vass's Personal Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Armor
breton_knight___full_body_production_render_by_baldasseroni-d6p0suy.jpg

Helmet
kory-hubbell-kory-hubbell-locus-helmet.jpg
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Caelag Vass with assistance from Iron Fury Industries
  • Model: N/A
  • Affiliation: Caelag Vass
  • Modularity: If you count ammunition, yes.
  • Production: Unique
  • Material: Phrik, Rancor Leather, Durasteel, Cloth, armor-weave
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Multipurpose
  • Weight: 14 kg
  • Quality: Overall: 8
    Plates:
    Blaster: 8
  • Lightsaber: 8
  • Kinetic: 1
  • Cutting: 8
  • Piercing: 7

[*]Leather
  • Blaster: 5
  • Lightsaber: 0
  • Kinetic: 2
  • Cutting: 3
  • Piercing: 3

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Resistances:
    Blaster-resistance: The use of Armorweave, Phrik Plates, and fairly thick Rancor leather allows the armor to withstand blaster bolts to a very reasonable degree.
  • ​Edged Weapon Resistance: The plates of Phrik are thick enough to provide substantial protection against sharp implements.
  • Lightsaber-resistance: The use of Phrik plates for the chest, shoulders, and wrists provide fairly substantial protection from lightsabers in those locations.
  • EMP/Ion Resistance: To protect the armor's electronic systems, resistant materials are integrated into the armor.

[*]Armor:
  • Phrik Chestplate
  • Phrik Vembraces
  • Phrik Helmet
  • Rancor Leather covered durasteel boots
  • Rancor Leather legs
  • Rancor Leather coat
  • Cloth and armor-weave hood, mask, and short cape
  • Armorweave Bodyglove

[*]Helmet:
  • Copper Faraday Cage: A mesh of conductive materials, that protects the armor's systems from electromagnetic radiation (e.g. EMP).
  • Audio/Video Systems:
    Audio/Video Recorder: A device which records both audio, and video. Can store up to fifteen (15) hours of content.
  • Audio/Video Player: A device which displays the recorded audio, and video files.
  • Annunciator: A sound amplification device.
  • Broadband Antenna: A device which allows the user to pick up noises and sounds, on different broadband frequencies from far distances.
  • Sonic Dampeners: A device which limits the amount of sound that can reach the user's inner-ear.

[*]Communication Systems:

[*]Breathing Systems:
  • Environmental Filter: A device that removes harmful gases, such as poisons, and fumes from the air.
  • Oxygen Filtration System: A device that removes solid particles, such as dust, pollen, mould, and bacteria from the air.
  • Oxygen Supply: A storage vessel that holds one-hundred and twenty (120) minutes of oxygen.
  • Re-breather: A breathing apparatus that adsorbs the carbon dioxide of the user's breath, to permit the re-breathing of unused oxygen.

[*]Transponder Systems:
  • IFF Transponder: A transponder signal which broadcasts the user's affiliation.

[*]Body:
  • Copper Faraday Cage: A mesh of conductive materials, that protects the armor's systems from electromagnetic radiation (e.g. EMP).
  • Power-Pack: A small power-pack that supplies energy to the Armor's systems.
    Redundant Power-Pack: A small, redundant, power-pack that supplies energy to critical systems if the primary power-pack is damaged, or disabled.

[*]Temperature Regulation System: An in-built system, designed to keep the user at a comfortable temperature, in high or low, heat environments.
[*]​Environmental Seal: The armor can be sealed to prevent outside environmental hazards from leaking in (underwater, toxic air, frigid cold, etc).
[*]Pressurization: The armor can be pressurized, so as to aid the user in surviving the vacuum of space.

[*]Gauntlets: Phrik gauntlets capable of protecting against lightsaber blows for a short period of time.
  • ​Each Gauntlet has one modular slot. The left arm contains one MM9 Rocket System for loud engagements, while the right arm holds a modified Wrist Rocket System that fires only darts for quiet engagements.

[*]Utility Belt:
  • 6x Combat Knife Sheaths: Designed to hold daggers/knives for combat. Designed and positioned to be drawn with fluid motions.
  • Additional Ammunition: A compartment for storing additional clips of ammunition.
  • Grenades: A compartment for storing additional grenades.
  • Medpac: A small first-aid kit that contains limited-utility diagnosis equipment and other essential medicines for the treatment of wounds.
  • Field Ration: A prepackaged meal, easily prepared and eaten.
  • Multitool: A device that contains a variety of useful tools.

[*]Legs:
  • Grav Boots: A device that allows the user to move at planes fourty five (45) to one-hundred and eighty (180) degrees opposite normal gravity.
  • Magno-grip Soles: A device that allows the user to magnetize themselves to surfaces which they were standing on.

Strengths:
  • Phrik is Phriking Fantastic: The use of Phrik for the metal plates provides substantial protection against knives, blades, blaster bolts, and even lightsabers,
  • Pretty Limber: The primary construction of the armor utilizes special leather, making it overall much lighter than other sets of similar quality and nearly lacking in inhibition of movement.
  • Rancor Leather: The use of rancor leather provides modest protection against blaster fire, helping the suit to survive a battlefield despite the lack of total metal protection.
  • Modularity is Key: The exact ammunition of the two wrist weapon systems can be changed out, as can the materials of the knives.
  • Phrik helmet: Though not likely to stop repeated lightsaber swings, the fact that the helmet is designed for a miralkua means there are no visors, and therefore the entirety of the helmet is made of phrik.
  • Sealed for your protection: Due to the harsh environments a soldier can be expected to go through, the suit has been designed with temperature regulation measures to help protect against the cold or mitigate the effects of heat.
  • Copper Cages make happy soldiers: The use of copper Faraday cages through the most sensitive areas of the suit provide some protection against electromagnetic radiation, such as ions or emp devices.
  • Dampened Sound: The use of sonic dampeners helps to protect the user's highly vital sense of hearing, considering the user has no eyes.
Weaknesses:
  • Slugthrowers and Kinetics: Anything utilizing kinetics or ballistics have substantially more effectiveness to any part of the body.
  • Leather, stylish but vulnrable: The main vitals and arms are the only locations of the thicker, more protective plates, while the rest is protected by the leathers, armorweave, and cloth. While this does enhance mobility substantially compared to a full plate set, it makes a number of kinks in the armor open to abuse. Anything that cannot be assisted by the armorweave, which is to say blasters, prove to be a significant threat to the arms, legs, waist, and neck. Even blaster fire is only moderately protected against.
  • Essential Systems Only: Though the chest and head are well protected with copper Faraday cages, as they house the suit's major systems, the legs and arms are left open to emp strikes. These systems will go down with relative ease in the presence of such an attack.
  • Not hands free: Neither wrist weapon is voice activated, nor are they able to be used with one hand easily. Instead, a second hand must be used to activate the device.
  • Reloading is a pain: Reloading the wrist weapons is a fairly difficult task, requiring anywhere from 40 to 60 seconds to properly do so. This can be a huge liability in any situation where the user is not capable of finding enough time to do so in peace.
  • Darts aren't exactly powerful: And even then it isn't a guarantee. The dart launcher on the right arm is excellent for stealth, but only against targets with exposed skin or armorweave and armor that can be pierced by the small dart. Even something as thick as a combat suit's leather can potentially stop the dart from reaching any skin, thus making it useless.
DESCRIPTION

An officer's armor oft consists of nothing more than a slightly improved version of that which they already wear, or in the case of some armed forces even less armor, however it is not uncommon for very high ranking officers to commission their own suit to satisfy their own needs. Also commonplace in such practices is the act of an officer's armor representing, to some degree, their role from earlier in their military career, such as a scout officer, or an officer in heavy power armor. Both these apply to the personal suit of Caelag Vass, an armor personally commissioned to suit her needs and represent her career over the course of her time in the Iron Empire. The suit was made to be a gift for her rapid promotion, and as such very little was spared in the construction of the armor perfect for a High Colonel scout captain.

The first step was to design a suit that properly represented the role of an infiltrator or scout. As such the primary material surrounding the armorweave and basic devices was changed from a flex armor to leather, specifically rancor leather after much consideration. The beast's armor would protect the Colonel from blaster fire to a reasonable enough degree, despite its minimalistic protection against other forces. This notable weakness also prompted the collection of enough Phrik to construct gauntlets, chestplate, and helmet to protect the user's vitals and hands from worse damage.

The general aesthetics, that of robes or coats, was taken from her heritage as a Miraluka, and the accompanying helmet designed without a proper visor for the slight intimidation factor. With the form dealt with the technicians went on to more specific details. Several combat knives were attached neatly just above the utility belt of the armor, for ease of access as well as supplementary knives in the event of being disarmed or used as a ranged attack. Each wrist had a wrist weapon built into it. For engagements of stealth, the right hand had a modified rocket launcher attached, though it only fired an assortment of darts, with the advantage of being silent. The left wrist had a standard MM9 rocket system attached, for general use in war.

Besides the standard equipment used by the Iron Empire troops, the helmet had all the visor or sight based technology removed, replaced instead by the entire helmet being composed of phrik, considering the lack of a need for a visor. The boots too were redesigned to fit, using the durasteel framework of the standard soldier boots cut down as much as possible and replaced with the thick leather with only the bare minimum metal to hold the devices in place.

Once the entire set was completed, a standard six durasteel knives were forged swiftly to pair with the armor itself, and the entire suit was given to Caelag to commemorate her promotion. A symbol of her past, forged by her present, to persist and shape the future. Such was the gift designed by her family, the Iron Empire.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
<p>Hello, I'll be the factory judge reviewing your submission. If you have questions, please feel free to respond to this thread once we are underway.</p>

Rusty

Hi. I'll be your friendly neighborhood Factory Judge for this submission.

So the name of the game here is balance. All submissions have to have appropriate strengths and weaknesses, and the more powerful the submission, the more powerful the weaknesses have to be. With that in mind, this armor, as it stands, is extremely unbalanced. Stuff like this...

Caelag Vass said:
Obviously THAT'S the Officer: Considering the ornate-ness of the armor's design and the unique helmet, the uniform is almost obviously a high ranking officer, providing enemies with a very nice target for moral destroying purposes.
...isn't something that will actually affect the functionality of the armor. It's fluff. Good fluff, but fluff nonetheless.

In addition, you've got about a dozen things listed under special features that aren't reflected under strengths and weaknesses, such as this:

Caelag Vass said:
2x Energy Sink: A component designed to adsorb blaster energy
I'll grant that, with the amount of stuff you've got going on here, it's entirely possible you forgot to list some things under strengths. With that in mind, I'm going to give you a chance to go through and make some corrections on your own. If it's a strength, list it under strengths. Your weaknesses need to be actual weaknesses, stuff that will affect the functionality in PVP and will actively offset the strengths. Once you're done making edits, gimme a holler and we'll take it from there.

[member="Caelag Vass"]

[member="Rusty"]

I won't lie, I've been nervous as this is probably the biggest factory thing I've ever submitted. That said, thank you for being gentle with me. ^^

So I added a couple of strengths and weaknesses (or expanded on a weakness or two) after removing the deionizers and energy sinks, as well as removed the shield generator option (assuming that would be a boon to the balance). Some of the strengths (the sonic dampeners) I didn't know if I had to add to strengths, since they're fairly commonplace in soldiers according to wookiepedia, but I added them anyways.

I'll be honest as well Mr. Judge, I honestly don't know if some of these things count as strengths or not. I do hope the changes here are at least a good start.

Rusty

Okay, so now we have a clearer picture of what we're working with, and what we can see is that this armor doesn't come close to being balanced. Simply put, you're trying to do too much. Examples:

Caelag Vass said:
Phrik is Phriking Fantastic: The use of Phrik for the metal plates provides substantial protection against knives, blades, blaster bolts, and even lightsabers,

Caelag Vass said:
Pretty Limber: The primary construction of the armor utilizes special leather, making it overall much lighter than other sets of similar quality and nearly lacking in inhibition of movement.

Caelag Vass said:
Terentatek Leather: The use of terentatek leather for the majority of the armor provides ample protection from the force, negating attempts to use telekenisis directly on the wearer and mitigating the effects of other abilities slightly.

Caelag Vass said:
Copper Cages make happy soldiers: The use of copper Faraday cages through the most sensitive areas of the suit provide some protection against electromagnetic radiation, such as ions or emp devices.
You've got lightsaber resistant armor that's still highly flexible AND provides practical immunity to telekinetic attacks. That's asking a lot for any armor. But then there's this:

Caelag Vass said:
Specialized for Stealth: The suit, while very capable in most any situation a soldier would likely find themself in and suited for the body of an officer, has a clear purpose for quiet operations relating to infiltration, black ops, etc. The suit is not going to provide nearly the same protection as something designed for full frontal assaults.

That's not a weakness, that's a humblebrag. And completely negated by the above. You've got excellent protection against Force users, lightsabers, blasters, blades, and it's still, somehow, stealth armor.

Your other weaknesses are similarly lacking.

Caelag Vass said:
Not Totally Covered: The main vitals and arms are the only locations of the thicker, more protective plates, while the rest is protected by the leathers, armorweave, and cloth. While this does enhance mobility substantially compared to a full plate set, it makes a number of kinks in the armor open to abuse.

Caelag Vass said:
Modularity... to a degree: Certain modular devices, such as the pack for ammunition or jetpack, can be put on in the field with relative ease, however hooking the additional oxygen tanks or personal shield requires forethought and adequate planning, and are not so simple to change out on the go.

Caelag Vass said:
Not Immune to Ions forever: Though well protected and resistant to ion weaponry and emp type assaults, when compromised the weapon systems in the wrists become non functional alongside the rest of the armor's systems. The lack of additional sources for counteracting ions also hastens the pace said attacks will be able to disable the armor.

Caelag Vass said:
Not hands free: Neither wrist weapon is voice activated, nor are they able to be used with one hand easily. Instead, a second hand must be used to activate the device.
While I can appreciate the work put into thinking these things up, I'm forced to point out that none of these actually affect the way the armor will work in a fight. Yes, armor has gaps. Armor that completely protects everything is frowned upon in RP. If you've got to swap out a jetpack for an oxygen tank in the middle of a firefight, you've done something very, very wrong. Likewise if you get zapped with enough EMPs to break through the protection. And as far as the rockets go, I've never once seen anyone placed into a situation in a fight where the inability to hit a button made the difference between life and death. If you're close enough that the other guy can stop you pressing a button, ​you're too close to use a rocket.

I'm really not trying to be too harsh here, but as things stand, this simply doesn't work. So, let's try this again. Scale things back a bit. Choose one or two abilities that really count, that will really benefit your character, and work from there. You don't need three pages worth of special features. Most of them will play absolutely no role in combat. Chose the ones you really need. And once that's done, find weaknesses that actually work. The bullet thing is a start, but it's just a start.

[member="Caelag Vass"]

[member="Rusty"]

Sorry for the delay, wanted to sleep on a few ideas to help try and balance the armor more.

Change log:
  • Removed the back slot entirely.
  • Reduced overall protections of the leather rather drastically.
  • Reduced plate protection against kinetics to near-0. A solid kick should provide fairly significant pain.
  • Removed Faraday cage from the legs.
  • Added reload time to the wrist weapons as a weakness, making them effective one shot weapons in pvp combat.
  • Altered the gaps weakness to note anything besides blaster fire is a significant threat to most of the body now. Even blaster fire should be dangerous as well.
  • Noted that the darts are highly situational, countered by even moderately dense/thick armor.
  • Noted that the wrists and legs are not protected against ions and emps. A solid ion grenade or shot to the wrist or leg will easily deactivate the wrist weapons and leg devices.
  • Clarified that the terentatek leather prevents Caelag from using any telekenisis, even basic telekenisis. I'm uncertain if terentatek leather would affect light side oriented powers, given what a terentatek is, however I can definitely add that in if you wish.

You've been very patient with me. I hope these alterations help some. If you want me to as well, I can further reduce the leather's protection..

Rusty

Sorry for the delay. Been trying to come up with a way to balance this thing without nuking it entirely. Unfortunately, there's one more change we'll have to make to get it through. Thanks for being patient.

Caelag Vass said:
Terentatek Leather: The use of terentatek leather for the majority of the armor provides ample protection from the force, negating attempts to use telekenisis directly on the wearer and mitigating the effects of other abilities slightly.

Given everything else that's going on here, I don't see any way to leave in the resistance to the Force. That's just one step too far. If you take that out, everything else should be good to go.

[member="Caelag Vass"]

[member="Rusty"]

Before I adjust it, the second leather proposed when I asked for ideas creating this was Rancor leather for some decent blaster protection. Would switching it from terentatek to rancor and giving it a small buff to the blaster protection be acceptable to you? If not I'll just have it be generic leather. Just figured I'd ask before making the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom