Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Harbinger Anti-Material Rifle: Imperial Series Weapon System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Other Space Kaiden

Better than other-other space Kaiden
BIG_GUN_for_Contact_by_biometal79.jpg
(http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs32/i/2008/187/1/b/BIG_GUN_for_Contact_by_biometal79.jpg)
Intent: To Create an advanced weapon system for the Imperial and Graug militaries
Development Thread: No
Manufacturer: Graug Forgers
Affiliation: Graug and Imperial Militaries
Modularity: No
Production: Mass Produced
Material: Dura-steel
Description:

The Harbinger Anti-Material Rifle is the first step in the Graug attempts to modernize their military after their increased cooperation with the Imperial forces. This rifle is one of the most advanced pieces of military hardware to come out of the Gratos, and it is thanks to the knowledge of Imperial weapon works that have been brought back by Krag. The rifle is classified as a railgun that utilizes 3 inch by 3 inch Durasteel rods with a with several tiny ultrachrome rods, surrounding a depleted baraidum core, encased within the durasteel.

The rifle can only be loaded with a single round per-shot and has a charge pack, able to be loaded into a round container on the stock of the weapon, that is able to be used for 15 shots. After the charging has been completed, the rods are launched from the barrel at nearly 1000 meters a second. Upon impact with a target, the kinetic energy activates the detonator for the deplete Baraidum within. Once the Baradium is activated, the core explodes outwards and sends the dozens of tiny 2 inch Ultrachrome rods and the durasteel frame splintering in nearly every direction.

The theory behind the weapon is that the sheer kinetic force is enough to break through nearly any material and if it is not, the explosive energy is. The rifles main purpose is to destroy enemy cover and kill anybody who lies beyond and also to serve as an anti-vehicle weapon. It is not the best weapon against shielded vehicles, but the explosive and Kinetic force is still a freighting enemy regardless. While the weapon has an unmatched punch in the world of rifles and its range maximum range of 15 Kilometers is excellent (although a scope with such range is unheard of), the loading time, magazine capacity, recoil and charge time between shot are major downfalls. The recoil of the weapon is mostly seen in the form of a rumbling from side to side and not a kick to the shoulder, but it is still enough to throw off ones aim. This fact, combined with the one shot capacity, means that a shooter will usually only have a single chance to hit a moving target in most scenarios. Another downfall is the weapons weight of 60 pounds, making it a daunting task for non-Graug to carry both the weapon and its ammo.

Classification: Railgun
Size: Handheld
Status: Illegal (due to Gratos embargos and Imperial Military Status)
Length: 110.8 centimeters (64 inches)
Weight: 28 kilograms (60 pounds)
Ammunition Type: Explosive Slug rounds
Ammunition Capacity: 1 round
Effective Range: 5 Kilometers (effective) 15 (Max)

A few things:

1) A projectile speed of 100 m/s is quite slow. A typical .22 Long Rifle rim fire cartridge leaves the rifle at about 300 m/s. A true railgun weapon should be projecting its payload at some kilometers per second.

2) Why is there a 3 second firing delay? A ranges of a kilometer or more, a three second delay would equal almost a hundred meters in lead distance. It's quite cumbersome. A more practical solution is to use capacitors within the rifle to store a charge that would be consumed upon immediate trigger depression.

3) Where is the energy used to power the railgun stored? Is it within the round? Or is it within a separate power pack? If the latter, how many shots is the power pack capable of providing before replacement/recharging?

4) Can you edit into your post a link to the source of the image please? We'd like to give the artist credit for his/her work.

Please @ tag me in your reply. Thanks! :)

Other Space Kaiden

@[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]

I edited it :D beefed up the range a heck of a lot (though I made note that the maximum range is limited by the power of modern scopes) and I beefed up the weight after taking into consideration the Graug anatomy and the still evolving nature of their tech. I also added a power pack in the stock of the weapon that is capable of 15 shots before replacement is needed. Also the image link has been added :)

@[member="Krag"]

The range is excessive. 600 kilometers is a VERY long distance, and with a muzzle velocity of only 300 m/s, the round would not have the velocity or energy to travel that distance without dropping to the ground. I'd recommend something along the lines of maximum 10 kilometers with an effective range of 2 kilometers.

Also, you need to up the muzzle velocity by a lot. Like 800-1200 km/s. The .22 I mentioned earlier is a TINY cartridge, and it has a muzzle velocity of about 300 m/s. The .50 cal BMG cartridge fired by the Barrett M82 anti-materiel weapon has a muzzle velocity of some 850 m/s. A rail gun would have an even higher velocity.

Aside from that, I do like the combination of bulkiness and cumbersomeness. Those are key traits of a very long ranged anti-materiel weapon. My first two points are the main things that need fixing, in my mind. Otherwise, the entry looks pretty solid. :)

Other Space Kaiden

Well I had amped it up to 300 kilometers prior to your response but I made it 1,000km/s with an effective range of 10 kilometers and a max of 15

@[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]

@[member=Krag]

I see the changes. I also see that I made a minor mistake, which led to a mistake on your part. :) The muzzle velocity should be in meters per second, not kilometers. I erroneously suggested km/s, when it should be m/s. 1000 km/s is like, Woah speed of light? (Not quite) :p Sorry about that!

So, things that need changing:

1) Change the muzzle velocity from km/s to m/s.

2) The description text states the maximum range as 600 km, which does not match the listed maximum range of 15 km. You'll have to fix that.

3) While you can keep the maximum range at 15 km, I believe the effective range needs to be dropped down to no more than 5 km because while the weapon may be lethal up to 15 km, the simple fact that optics and shooting skill and sheer luck would dictate most engagements occurring at no more than 5 km. Five km is about 3 miles or so, and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that can fire accurately at that range without artificial guidance. It's less of a weapon limitation and more of a shooter/practical limitation.

Now, if you disagree with me on this last point, please explain and we can work it out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom