Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Green Lights In Your Body Language

KitKat

rcrT2cL.png

Corucant - Diagon Alley Raceway

The Galactic Circuit Pod Racing Invitational was premiering today. Camera crews were everywhere as fans took their seats and ordered drinks and snacks. Holly was brimming with excitement. She had landed the opportunity to cover the race for HNN. She was hopeful if she continued on this track she might land herself a full time reporting gig. She was leaning against one of the railings next to the pit crews that were setting up. Her cameraman, a Duro named "Boro" was untangling wires and fuses. Holly was looking at her reflection in a compact mirror and checking her hair. She'd be on the air soon, announcing the start of the race. All around people were placing bets, ordering food, cheering for their favorite racer, or taking care of other business. The atmosphere was infectious and Holly couldn't stop grinning. It was going to be a hell of a race.

Konan Sunracer

K
Konan sat in his podracer, its repulsor engines rumbling in low tones. Behind the tempered transparisteel of his podracer the loud crowd was only a low murmur. Off time was coming more and more as the Corellian Confederation began its shift towards a true galactic democracy. Even with the Imperial Warlords disrupting trade, the military was still laying off troopers and giving their pilots too much free time. With a sigh he ran a vibro comb through his pompadour and shifted the com in his ear.

"You ready kid? I know its been a while since you've been on the track." The scratchy voice of his Bothan manager came over.

"I'm ready, these guys don't got nothing on a Corellian Ace pilot." The Bothan sighed.

"Listen, you're a fighter pilot now, its been how long since you've been on a race track? Be ready for anything."
K KitKat

KitKat

tap, tap tap, Her foot kept up it's movement as she waited in agitation. This was boring, just waiting for the race to start. "Let's get some interviews with some of the racers. It beats sitting here."

Boro grunted his approval, though she hadn't stuck around to notice. She was already bouncing towards the racers. The first one that caught her eye was a man running a com through his hair.

"Hey! Can I get a quote for HNN?"

Konan Sunracer

Ashla Novakin

A
Ashla had never been to Coruscant. Or any of the great big city-worlds, either. And while they called her home the Holy City, it hardly qualified as a city compared to this. She had wandered through the towering structures for a while, pushed by the crowds more than anything else. It was overwhelming to the point she had nearly forgotten why she had come. A tray was looped around her neck, loaded with carved talisman and sigils. Some were religious in nature, but others were more commemorative for the occasion. Pod racers. Race emblems. Things she had learned tourists tended to like.

Already she had begun to make a brisk trade, selling totems for luck in the races and the knickknacks for those who more credits than practicality. Her staff was loosely tied to her back as she walked. It gathered a bit of attention, but not much, given her plain brown and tan tunic and trousers. Just another Outer Rim rat trying to make their fortune in the Core. Some said so openly, others said it with their disdainful gaze.

She let them pass. Such things had no influence on herself and her service to the Force. They would do little but disrupt her harmony with the Tyia, and so they flowed past her like water. "Lucky amulets!" She called, raising her voice. "Trinkets and commemorative memorabilia! Handcarved!"

Konan Sunracer

K
HNN? They were still running? Well, no matter who ran Coruscant you can never get rid of the news. He shrugged and popped the canopy. Cute reporters could always have a minute of his time when he was on leave. He put on his best camera-friendly smile and nodded.

"Sure thing sweets," he said with a wink, "No one bests a Corellian in a race. We've got rocket fuel for blood, can't nothing beat that." He winked again and gave her some finger guns. "Or did you have a specific question in mind?"
K KitKat

KitKat

Holly glanced over her shoulder at her cameraman Boro. The Duro had gotten sidetracked and appeared to be buying some type of merchandise from a woman with a staff. Holly bit her lip and decided to stall until she could get some footage

“You seem very confident in your ability! Are you familiar with this track?” She asked the racer as she gave her cameraman a stern look.

Konan Sunracer Ashla Novakin

Konan Sunracer

K
He shrugged noncommittally. He had to be careful about what he did and didn't say. Konan Sunracer, for all intents and purposes, was his real name. A good slicer had made sure of that. But any hint at a mystery story and he knew reporters followed it to their grave, especially the pretty ones trying to make a name for themselves. In his past life he was assumed dead, but if they got a wiff of him still being alive...CorSec could have him brought in for murder and there went his new military career.

"I flew this track one or two times when I was younger, yeah." he said finally after some thought. "Now it ain't anything special I'll tell you. 'Least not to a racer like me." His brow quirked when he saw the woman behind the reporter selling wares, shouting into the crowds. Was she an iridonina? Zabrak? He knew there was some sort of difference but he really couldn't care less right now. He had a reporter to woo.

"What about you?"
he asked, "Any real interest in pod racing or racing in general? I didn't catch your name earlier."
K KitKat Ashla Novakin

It'd been awhile.... As it stood I hadn't raced the Diagon Alley course in a good while... That being said nobody on triple Z there were incredibly few people who could match me as a mechanic. I'd left an open link for Faegard Faegard to watch the race but it looked like I'd be racing against pods....

Smirking at the fact that I still had course records on every single track on Coruscant I pulled my modified street speeder up. Looking at a reporter questioning a pod racer I looked over my speeder. Nyssa I'd named her. Turning the key, there was a roaring growl from the engine. Then moving into a purring growl... I'd stolen the engine and tuned it to the point I could race against both swoops and pods. As it rumbled I triggered the course map link and my racer ID appeared on the screen Wraith.

I felt an the crowd draw breath in. Smirking I tapped the tires and looked over everything. As it was my vehicle was an eye catcher. And not one that'd been seen in awhile. The neon glow of a red demon mask from my rear window and the glowing green demonic eyes. I had no doubt I'd finish top three but it was enough that I'd set records across the planet. Who knew? Perhaps the reporter would come my way it was valuable to have resources in the press after all... K KitKat

Last edited:

Ashla Novakin

A
It was a cameraman who was her next customer, some Duro lugging a holocamera around, while the anchor was interviewing some racer nearby. She lifted one of the talismans from the tray and handed it over to the Duro, taking a handful of credits and slipping them into the pouch around her neck. "You better get back to work," Ashla said after a moment. "Your anchor's not looking thrilled to not have the camera on her."

The Duro gave a wry shrug and turned back to his job while Ashla continued to circulate through the milling crowds. Not far away, an engine roared, and she gave it a look. Not a pod? It was a speeder. She didn't think speeders could race against pods, let alone even come close to matching their speed. Perhaps this racer was more confident in his abilities than the normal racer. Or it was a very unusual speeder. Both options were definitely possible.

KitKat

“Oh it’s Holly Starstorm. I’m a freelance reporter for HNN.” Well freelance for now, but she was going to change that as soon as she could.

Her cameraman made his purchase and finally made it back to start recording. Holly thought he could get some great shots of the racers getting ready.

“Now then, Mr. Starchaser (his name and pod number were on the large screen flashing) “are you expecting any surprises today? What is your strategy for the tunnel portions of the track?”

This might make a good documentary topic she thought. Just then another contestant appeared, in an odd looking craft. Holly pointed it out to her cameraman, indicating they would interview him next.

Konan Sunracer Ashla Novakin Al-Saher Al-Saher

68 credits, she was doing well. Pod-races and other spectator sports were always good places to visit: lots of distracted marks and plenty of drink to muddy everyone's senses. The increased security could be a problem, although luckily there were a pair of Besalisk causing a fuss a few stands over from where Lefwen was now stood. She slid the credit chips into her pocket and took a moment to study the crowd. It was a rather usual affair: a wide mix of species and a clear mix of reasons for attending, some were here for the sport, some for the betting, and others were here to try to make a name for themselves among the high and mighty. She shifted her eyes towards the trackway. Engineers scurried backward and forward, working in small teams to prepare the 'pods for the race ahead. A few self-important looking figures stood around in race-suits: slicked back hair, smug grins on their faces, fawning crowds and reporters around them, it was enough to make her groan.

She threaded her way through the crowd, finally emerging into a clearing where a few stalls had been set up to sell knick-knacks and souvenirs to the tourists. 'I'm not the only thief about then...' she thought to herself with a smirk. She closed her eyes for a moment and let herself feel the emotions of those around her, looking for a new mark. It was difficult in such a large crowd, but there were a few individuals who stood out: a young woman down near a 'pod, whose thoughts flickered with excitement; one of the racers near her, who seemed to be worried about something; a bulky Duro who felt exhausted as he lugged a holocamera on his shoulder. No good marks. Someone else stood out though, someone who had violence on their mind. She located the source from behind her eyes and then opened them, spotting a Rodian engineer who was working on one of the many vehicles that were preparing to race. Lefwen's brow furrowed. 'Why would an engineer be so preoccupied with anger?' she asked herself, noting the small piece of machinery he was now carrying away from the sleek, shiny racer.

Konan Sunracer

K
He just smiled and nodded. Starchaser was a popular name on Corellia, especially with the "war hero" Coren Starchaser and his family. But alas, this particular young man was not a Starchaser. He was a Sunracer, but correcting her on that itsy bitsy detail only made it harder to swing dinner plans after the race.

So he just smiled and nodded his head.

"Not many, heard there was a Gungan racer today...Don't see many of them on these circuits so he might be something to watch for...As for strategy..." he shrugged and made a hushing motion with his finger against his lips and winked. "Can't be giving away all my secrets. What would be the fun in watching a race if you knew what was gonna happen?"

He was about to lay on another one of his lines when he saw a street swoop and cocked an eyebrow at the racer.

"Hey koochu! Yoo hoo! Hey flyboy!" He shouted at the mystery racer, "Get that hunk of junk off the track! You Barvy or something? This ain't some street race! Get in a pod or get off the track!" What had made someone bring what looked like a swoop bike to a major Pod Racing invitational made him question if the man had read the invite to begin with.

Lefwen Claskier Lefwen Claskier K KitKat Ashla Novakin Al-Saher Al-Saher

KitKat

Ever a ditz, Holly was so excited she got his name wrong. This was the kind of this her editor yelled at her about, and it would certainly make being a successful holo journalist more difficult. The girl really needed to slow down and calm down but she was a ball of energy.

“Well I wish you the best of luck today.” His heckling brought her attention back to the other racer, whose vehicle was very unusual for a pod race. She approached him, the cameraman keeping her in frame

“Holly Starstorm for HNN! Why did you bring such an unusual vehicle for the rave today?”
Konan Sunracer Al-Saher Al-Saher

Looking at the poofy haired racer I simply shook my head and smirked if he hadn't realized the crowd draw breath in when my racer ID went up then I wouldn't explain it. I'd show him on the track.

"Five thousand credits says after a minute in you'll be following me. There's a reason I have course records across the whole planet...."

Then the reporter came to speak with me asking why I brought such an unusual vehicle to a pod race. I said "well Holly, its honestly not just the vehicle but the driver. I know mine like I know myself and it has raced against swoops as well as pods. I like my chances..."

Pausing I asked "First time at races? You've got the look of a first timer here. If you don't mind my saying so..."

K KitKat ~ Konan Sunracer

KitKat

Holly was eating up the trash talk, knowing it would make for good ratings. Boro, the cameraman knew enough to get good shots and Holly liked her chances of at least breaking somewhere close to prime time.

An announcer soon sounded over the comm systems, booming out over the loud crowed. "Racers to the starting line please! We will begin momentarily."

"Good luck both of you!"

Konan Sunracer Al-Saher Al-Saher Lefwen Claskier Lefwen Claskier Ashla Novakin

Ashla Novakin

A
Another set of carvings swapped hands as Ashla pocketed the last bit of credits just as the announcement booked across the crowd for the racers to get to the starting line. Already, engines were beginning to roar and racers trash talked each other. The coasts of arrogant men, for the most part. She had heard plenty of that in her time, so she paid it no mind. Even not directed at her, the boasting and competitive spirit sent discordant ripples through the Tyia.

Vendors, support teams, and well-wishers hurried off the track, with Ashla surging along beside them. She pressed against the edge of the starting area, hoisting the staff higher on her shoulder, and she gave a nod of greeting to the reporter, who she ended up next to. “Good broadcast ratings?”

She had never really been one for watching the holonet. Her family’s receiever barely worked, let alone received very much. They were too far out of the way of anything, but she thought she remembered hearing about broadcast ratings.
But something stopped her from saying more. The Force rippled around her as violence and anger tipped past the edge into violence. She half turned and her eyes darted across the crowd, trying to discover what it might have been.

Lefwen Claskier Lefwen Claskier Konan Sunracer K KitKat
Al-Saher Al-Saher

With the ease of a skilled pickpocket I slipped a mobile holoprojector disk into the reporters' jacket pocket it had a pre-recorded message. "If you are interested in exposing corruption in the Coruscant underbelly contact me. My information is at the end of this recording." Odds were she'd be feeling inside her pockets for a data pad or some other reporter tech and she'd find the recording. heard the call to the starting line and as the reporter wished me luck I said

"Never know what or who you'll find at the races. Hope your viewers enjoy the report!" Sliding into my vehicle I closed the hatch and with the engine purring like a predator I rolled my neck, hooked up my comm device and set it to start music up after the race began....

To quote a long gone Jedi....This was where the fun began....

K KitKat ~ Konan Sunracer

Konan Sunracer

K
Konan scoffed and rolled up the window. He was 90% sure he was breaking a dozen rules for the pod racing invitational considering it wasn't just a street race, but he'd learn the hard way...When that trophy was Konan's regardless of if the street racer came in first or not.

Konan revved the engines of his pod racer and the turbines began to spin to life, floating off the ground.

KitKat

Holly was surprised by the mans words of corruption. Of course she would investigate the angle. She was a reporter after all! She made her way to the stands as the announcer stared the race.

"Racers on your mark, get ready, set, GO!!!"

A woman asked about her ratings and Holly smiled. "I hope so. A lot of people are interested. I think we should get some shots of the crowed." She motioned for her cameraman to start filming the crowed, who were "ooing" and "'ahing" at all the dramatic moments in the race.

She noticed the woman speaking to her look distracted. "Is everything okay?"

Ashla Novakin Konan Sunracer Al-Saher Al-Saher Lefwen Claskier Lefwen Claskier

"GO!" Faith was on her feet watching the races. She was here doing a visit to the the Alderaan Embassy to ensure they had what they needed and to put her face out for those on Coruscant to let them know Alderaan still lived.

The races were a lucky coincidence and she was loving it. "come on!!"

Becca was beat the railing, "Oh my oh my, Mam..." She pointed out to the crowds, "look I've never seen so many people" Becca had never been to Coruscant before this was an experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom