Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gravitational Transport Polarity Beam (GTPB)

Rj26VlYl.png

Example 2
Image Source: Google Search (Abduction Beam)
Intent: To provide The Awoken with a new form of transport from and to planets rather than using shuttles.
Development Thread: If Necessary
Manufacturer: LOOM
Model: Polarity Beam M1
Affiliation: The Awoken
Modularity: No
Production: Production: (The Awoken) Limited
Material: Electronics, Tractor Beam Projector Components

Description: A unique form of Tractor Beams developed by The Awoken in attempts to transport vehicals, soldiers, and supplies in a more effective manner rather than simply using shuttles to deliver them. The GTTB is often activated within orbit above planets. These lifts are projected from the underside of most of The Awoken cruisers, used to lift ground-based troops and equipment onto a ship or to safely transport them to a surface. Containment shields are projected on the outside of the beams radius (Consisting of about the length of 20 meters at biggest), and flushed with the planets atmosphere to prevent those within the beam of suffocating from lack of oxygen or the harshness of space. Capable of lifting several hundred tons thanks to the power of the beam and it's focused precision. The beam at full power and ascend and descend 500 Tons worth of weight.

A weakness of this form of tech is that things within the beam are vulnerable to outside assaults and thus is exposed. While blasters and other conventional weapons would be deflected by the containment field, Rockets, Ships, and ect can easily fly into the beam or blast those within it. Another possible weakness lies in the fact one cannot regulate who gets in or out of the beam. Enemy forces can easily hitch a ride onto the mother ships if not caught by allied forces within the beam.

However, the beam can only be used effectively from a rather low orbit above a planet. It is also difficult to lock on to moving targets given that the beam must sync up orbital momentum and planetary rotation. Troops and other objects would need to be in a open area and remain stationary for the beam to lock on to their transmitting signal. Odd thing is, the beam picks up ANYTHING that is not nailed to the ground regardless of its weight. A feature that still needs to be worked out.

(DISCLAIMER: THIS BEAM CANNOT ABDUCT CHARACTER PLAYERS WITHOUT CONSENT)

Primary Source:

[SIZE=12.2222px]Containment Field[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12.2222px]Tractor Beam[/SIZE]

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Lady Sovereign"]

OK, so you're talking about a big force cylinder, more or less, correct?

I'm going to have to talk this through with some folks, since tractor beam canon is conflicted on whether they affect organic stuff rather than metallic stuff. In the meantime, I'd recommend that you switch the ship's atmosphere to the planet's atmosphere as the source of airstuff. That's a LOT of air.

OK, so before we delve into technical details, here's the big issue. If I stamp this, anyone who has this tech has a pretty decent case for being able to grab someone off the ground in the middle of just about any thread. From a certain point of view, that's a variety of airstrike that lends itself real well to an autohit. I completely understand that that's not your reason for designing this. I like this thing -- Zahn canon crossed with X-files -- but I firmly believe that about 75% of potential uses are going to cause grief. So basically, what I need from you is some thoughts on how you'd make this not a problem waiting to happen.

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

Wow i...actually never thought of it that way. I mean, when creating this it was mainly just to create a quicker and more effective way to get on and off a planet with less risk. Cause ive seen characters die being chased down and trying to get onto their shuttles/ships and someone just tosses a grenade and blows up the ship...never thought it would be used to like...abduct ppl.

I suppose that what i can do is make make this sub consent only when it comes to the whole 'Snatching ppl up' thing. So you have to ask the other players permission to use it on them.

Am I allowed to do that? For a tech sub anyway.

I've seen it done, mainly for disruptors ('this can't disintegrate ppl without consent' etc.). So here's what I'd suggest.

• Make it limited to very low orbit. I've got no problem with a tractor beam at that range -- first time we ever see a tractor beam in canon, it's working great at hundred-kilometre ranges.
  • Add the disclaimer like you mention.
  • Make it really hard to target this without a special transmitter and a stationary target. Low orbit is too low to be geosynchronous, so it's a matter of synching up orbital momentum and planetary rotation -- which, so far as I understand it, means this would be real hard to keep on target.
  • Either make it only able to grab things over a certain size, or make it so it grabs whatever isn't nailed down around your targets. Even ground and stuff. Like I said, tractor beam canon is pretty thoroughly conflicted. Some sources say tractor beams only work on metallic things, others say they work on anything. I'm fine with both.
Let me know what you think.

[member="Queen Sovereign"]

I believe that there is a question of oxygen levels beyond 10-15 kilometers.

This is going to transport troops as well, am I correct?

Please add an effective range from the ranged weapon template to the submission please, with the optimal range this should be used at.

Queen Sovereign said:
Manufacturer: LOOM
This needs to hyperlink to the LOOM(Legacy of Organics) submission in the company factory.

I apologize for the lapse in time before this submission was looked over again, but due to inactivity I will be archiving this. Please PM myself or another RPJ/Admin when you are ready to continue with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom