Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Grahala Mk-I Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
dark_nova__mil_wpns__m_36_by_breandan_ociarrai.jpg

Image Source: Breandan-OCiarrai on Deviantarthttp://breandan-ociarrai.deviantart...7?q=gallery:Breandan-OCiarrai/10822751&qo=235

Intent: To create a weapon that can provide an advantage over lightsaber-wielding opponents.

Development Thread: None

Manufacturer: Mandalorian Clans

Model: Grahala Mk-I Rifle

Affiliation: Mandalorian Clans

Modularity: Top and side rails for mounting optics and accessories, varying grenade loadouts.

Production: Limited (Mandalorians and Mandalorian allies)

Material: Mandalorian Steel, Duraplast, Shatterbeam Components.

Classification: Blaster

Size: Handheld

Length: 0.7 Meters

Weight: 6 Kg

Ammunition Type: Power Cell, 30mm Grenades, Debris.

Ammunition Capacity: 200 Shots (blaster), 5 Shots (grenade launcher).

Effective Range: Personal. 300 meters.

Rate of Fire: Semi-automatic, burst, automatic.

Special Features: Optic and accessory mounting rails, underslung 30mm grenade launcher.

Strengths:

Powerful – Even for a rifle, the Grahala is a potent weapon, capable of punching holes in heavy armor and knocking opponents on their choobies even when it doesn't. While it is technically no more powerful than the Grahala'shok pistol from which it derives its function (and therefore much less powerful per blast than the shatterbeam from which both are derived), the increased barrel length allows for a much more focused blast, compressing it even tighter and allowing it to penetrate heavier armor than its predecessor, as well as travel significantly greater distances while maintaining power and accuracy. The blasts themselves are otherwise nearly identical to those fired by the Grahala'shok, complete with their significant kinetic punch (capable of leaving bruises in its wake even without penetrating armor) and inability to be reflected by a lightsaber.

Rugged – The use of Mandalorian Steel and Duraplast in the construction of the weapon makes it exceptionally durable, as well as highly resistant to being disabled by ion and EMP attacks, allowing it to function in even the most extreme conditions.

Versatile – Though the primary firing mode lacks any sort of versatility, even foregoing the implementation of a stun setting, the attached grenade launcher can fire nearly any properly sized projectile due to the use of a miniaturized pressor field and repulsorcoils as the firing mechanism. In the absence of any other type of ammunition, even an appropriately sized rock could be fired at the enemy, though in such cases lethal results are not guaranteed.

Weaknesses:
Heavy – While this particular flaw is somewhat mitigated by the fact that the rifle is meant to be wielded with two hands, it is still exceptionally heavy for a rifle and if wielded without the proper training and conditioning, can quickly exhaust the user in battle.

Recoil – Even taking into account the weight, the recoil is still significant. While this model is heavy enough to largely eliminate the danger posed to unprepared or weak limbs, it can still have a significant negative effect on the weapon's accuracy while using sustained or burst-fire modes.

Description:

Utilizing the same shatterbeam technology as the Grahala'shok pistol, the Grahala rifle is a version designed to be wielded by humans and other beings of the average limb strength variety. As such, it has maintained the heavy firepower and thermal damage of the pistol while simultaneously adding weight in order to decrease recoil to manageable levels. Using a bullpup design for the new barrel has allowed it to be significantly longer than that of the original, tripling range while maintaining exceptional accuracy. Increasing the size of the weapon's power cell has also quadrupled the ammunition count, and given the grenade launcher enough power to match the optimum range of the rifle's primary projectiles.

The shatter-bolts themselves have maintained their full effectiveness against lightsabers, being capable of knocking them out of the hands of their wielders, and in rare cases even turning the weapons against their own masters. However, while they are exceptionally difficult to block (nearly impossible with a one-handed grip), they are not impossible and particularly determined or strong individuals can manage to stop several of the blasts, though the kinetic shock of it will be draining and they will no doubt feel the effects afterwards.

The weapon's grenade launcher is the same variety as was used in the previous iteration, making use of pressor fields and repulsorcoils to propel any sufficiently small projectile a significant distance. Due to the increased power of the launcher, even non-grenade objects such as shrapnel and rocks can become lethal projectiles at close range, and even potentially long ranges with particularly lucky shots.

Like the pistol, the Grahala rifle also comes equipped with biometric sensors that render it entirely useless in the hands of unauthorized wielders.

Primary Source: Grahala'shok Heavy Pistol

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Bloodshot"]

I get the idea of the shatter-beam to knock lightsabers and deliver kinetic energy since I've made a shatter beam pistol some time ago but the shatter-beam's technology would deliver such damage due to its sustained beam which this does not have as it is being shot as bolts.

But that doesn't worry me as much as the fact of punching holes in heavy armor, I've always taken the shatter beam as more of a kinetic energy type of damage rather than piercing. Moreover, what level of heavy armor are we talking about ?

The submission is good but it needs just a few details to be clarified because having 200 bolts of shatter beam capable of kicking durasteel doors out of their frames maybe a bit too much, in my opinion.

Zef Halo said:
[member="Bloodshot"]

The submission is good but it needs just a few details to be clarified because having 200 bolts of shatter beam capable of kicking durasteel doors out of their frames maybe a bit too much, in my opinion.

Ah, therein lies the issue then. Each individual bolt fired by this weapon isn't as powerful as that of a standard shatterbeam. That was specified in the original submission for the first variant, but when I re-wrote it for this I seem to have left it out. I've edited to clarify that particular aspect.

As for the armor, nothing made of super-metals. Mostly I'm referring to the types of heavy armor mass-produced and worn by standard infantry units or combat droids (and even some weaker vehicle armor), and while it CAN penetrate such, it's not a guaranteed thing, just like with the capabilities of any other weapon. I would say it's roughly the same power level seen in the Westar M5, with added kinetic punch.

[member="Zef Halo"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom