Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GR military planning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going forward I would like to get the thoughts of everyone on how to proceed forward. As the limitation on Invasion is lifted the 15th we have options for worlds to Invade.

Coruscant is the big one. Yes we can reach it and it would be an EPIC undertaking and righteous win if we won. I would have liked to wait till the middle of june to invade but with the ban on invasions lifting on the 15th I fear we will not have that choice. It would be nice though but thems the breaks.

Other OS invasion targets include
Khomm
Kuat
Balmorra
Byss
Anaxes

Now all this being said If we can get the OS to agree to hold on invasions till the middle of June I would like to do so. Too much going on in may OOC wise for too many.

We have several Dominion options. I think we should push for a tier 3 dominion of Gyndine and just deal with the rebellion as it comes. This would be for IC reasons as well as OOC reasons. It solidifies the new core of the republic on the map and gives us more industrial power.

other possible Dominion targets include
Devaron - Expand on the Denon hex
Rhommamool - expand on the Denon hex
Deneba - cut off the triumvirate's expansion towards us

there are others as well but these make the most sense for both IC and OOC reasons.

Rememder its about the story :) We just got cut off from our friends in the core. I would chose Gyndine tier 3 slam out the dom fast and roll with any rebellions. then we hit the OS breaking their cloud opening up the core once again for us to retake.

LEt me know what you guys think and what you think would be best. I would like to get the dominion started before the 15th if possible.

Coruscant two hexes away, that is a huge under taking on the direct route. I wouldn't go near it right now.

As for other invasion targets, I would favor Balmorra or Kuat. any invasion will be hard fought I'm sure we can come up with a good viable story line to work towards with IC Goals.

I would attempt to have some of our spies go to both, or any world we are looking at to get some intel. I just don't know how much time we will have. If anything I'll have Faith go on an official visit of some type.

[member="Willam Forlon"]

My support goes to a Tier III of Gyndine. Nabbing that whole hex would be great. If we can get an invasion on Coruscant declared for mid-June, then we can use the time in between to deal with the inevitable Rebellion.

Then go for the throat at Coruscant. We need to work on our PvP strategy though, we keep losing just because of PvP. I would suggest we push for two PvP fields and one objective-oriented one. That should be favorable enough to the OS writers and give us a bit of advantage in the field.
I would not recommend we have any victory parameters dependent on fleeting. No offense, but those writers never seem to get much done on both sides.

[member="Ali Hadrix"]

New invasion rules mean that there are no more points. It will be judged on how well people wrote and ooc behavior now.

We still do need to define objectives for the story to be around of course and that can be favorable depending on what types of people our writers rp as so they can weave the story as best they can. So yeah, duels don't matter, no more time limits on anything either so no rule abuse for anyone losing and no incentive to anyway since there's no points to gain by trying to end a fight as quickly as possible through <insert god mode here>

Understanding the layout of Coruscant can be a huge help (Only if we go there of course, this goes for any planet). Maybe rather than traditional fighting in the streets the settings could be the Sith Temple there and an orbiting station.

If you don't mind me asking - why are you now focused on invading, when you've lost 75% of territory?

RL equivalent; it's like when France fell under Hitler in 1940 and De Gaulle, while comfortably seated in a cafe in London, planned the invasion of Berlin as retaliation.

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
Matier said:
If you don't mind me asking - why are you now focused on invading, when you've lost 75% of territory?
we lost space. we gained population and industry. We now have billions more citizens which means millions more soldiers. Denon itself had more population than the rest of the Republic put together. Nubia, Duro, and Loronar also have large populations. They also have more industrial power each than every plant we had before Togaria combined. In character the addition of the Denon hex gave us everything we did not have before to sustain an In Character ability to hit back at the SIth. The map it neat and OOC wise lets us think we have more when In Character we just became the 2nd more powerful faction behind the Sith just for the 4 planets we gained.no other world outside coruscant had more population than Denon. You would be hard pressed to find 25 planets that together could add up to equal the population of Denon and Coruscant. At least canon planets. A few chaos specific planets have massive populations but I have no knowledge of anything on the scale of Denon and Coruscant. Sirat Wen Prime Is know is around Denons population but of any others I have no idea. But of the world we held before Togaria Denon out populates them all combined basically.

Also we now have 3 major shipyard worlds where before we had none. The Republic has not been able to build ships for awhile in character. and it never had anywhere near the ship building potential that Duro has. let alone Loronar or Nubia. So in character we are now in a better position to perform invasions because we have more people and more weapons.

Matier said:
RL equivalent; it's like when France fell under Hitler in 1940 and De Gaulle, while comfortably seated in a cafe in London, planned the invasion of Berlin as retaliation.
imagine if De Gaulle had just captured the united states with its industrial power at the time. That is basiclly what were looking at. YEs we lost France but we now own the UK and America so we have what we need to strike back.

Ali Hadrix said:
Then go for the throat at Coruscant. We need to work on our PvP strategy though, we keep losing just because of PvP.
PVP does not matter anymore as far as win count goes. Its about the story.

Ali Hadrix said:
I would suggest we push for two PvP fields and one objective-oriented one.
there are no more objectives or anyway to make anything more favorable for anyone. It is about the story.

Ali Hadrix said:
I would not recommend we have any victory parameters dependent on fleeting. No offense, but those writers never seem to get much done on both sides.
there won't be any dependency on fleeting more so than anything else but everything now counts towards the story. there is no picking and choosing what duals or battles matter it is all important as long as it fits the story. and if it does not fit the story will count against us.

Faith Organa said:
I would attempt to have some of our spies go to both, or any world we are looking at to get some intel. I just don't know how much time we will have. If anything I'll have Faith go on an official visit of some type.
yes Supreme Commander Forlon orders more intel gathering... lol

[member="Matier"] [member="Dallen Thayne"] [member="Reshmar"]
Personally, a Last Ditch effort attack on the Galactic Capital would be awesome, don't discourage that. Discourage the "Lets see where we can tip the scales to our advantage". Besides, that line of thinking is likely to be held against you under the new invasion rules.

Coruscant. Still love the idea.

Location (Lets stop calling them objectives)
Atmospheric Control Centers
  • Coruscant Requires these to live. Even a short time without them, would result in the planet quickly being rendered a Type 2 Atmosphere, and a Day would likely have people dying without oxygen tanks. Historically Emperor Palpatine had remote control over these in order to prevent uprising. It would make since that the OS would as well. Securing them is paramount to the safety of the populace. [Small Strike Teams]
The Black Pyramid
  • Its the Sith's primary Structure. Its their house. You should attack it and burn it to the Ground. [All out Ground Assault]
Orbital Station Guardian
  • I made up the name. Its a space station that acts as a key point in the defense of the planet. Fight over it because it should be fought over. Perhaps crash it into that pyramid, or stop the OS from crashing it into a city sector, or whatever happens with it. [Medium Strike Teams]
City of Death
  • If you've ever been in a fire fight, they Suck. What sucks more. Fighting through enemy held skyscrapers in a war zone. Riots in the Streets, there are simply no sheets. Its all Riot and fighting, and loyalists/freedom fighters making it worse for both sides. [All out Ground Assault]
Blood in the Stars
  • Don't you like my names? Fleet Battle. Remake Druckenwell, it was awesome, this will be awesome too. 50km each side. Through caution to the wind, its Coruscant, winner take all.
If people say "Screw your Locations, I'm doing my own thing on [insert obscure area of target system]." Cool, let them. If people wanna do personal fights, like duels, let them. Be respectful. If both parties are down for it, don't rain on their Parade. Don't flood fields with numberless super NPC's of Doom to bog down the opposition, don't try to have squads of NPC's engage every PC in a location as one writer. They will hate it, and RPJ's will likely look at it like Godmodding. Take Easy Company and go wreck stuff if NPC's are your game, if Tim the Sith comes in with the Oversector Army to stop you, go the OOC, say this:

Hey man, just so you know, I'm only RPing like [Insert rough company size here] and that's like [Insert crapload more]. Perhaps shave down to about equal and let's duke it out.
Under the new Invasion rules, he who moans the loudest in the OOC, is most likely to lose. Legitimate Problems should be brought up. Once. If you get the generic "Tough Luck." Make a note of it, make a PM, add One FA from both sides and the involved party, work it out like adults. If the opposing side are jerks, you have an Open slot and when the RPJ comes in (If they Must) to judge the invasion, it can be brought up by your FA.

Until then, roll with it. You know how hard it is to overwhelm a company, in a skyscraper, in a city, while riots are going on. Losses would be overwhelming, though they would def still win. If they go to knock the Skyscraper down... Some of those are a kilometer wide at the base, get extracted by Close Air Support, move to a friendlier opponent. As a note you don't have to act like every single 100,000 storm troopers are shooting all at once. That's impossible, and so long as you aren't a jerk about it, the RPJ's will see it and smile down upon you for it.

Moving on to Pre-Invasion
Caamas. Totally skirmish the Crap out the OS there establishing a nearby fleet presence and supply base so that damaged ships from Coruscant can retreat to Caamas, receive refuel and rearm, and sent back to the fight.

[member="Draco Vereen"]

Like all these points, no complaints, and the fact someone has mentioned locations as the objectives for the story setting (just for the setting I mean as the center point for the fighting) is really useful.

Is Caamas neutral or OS controlled? (in regards to the supply and fallback idea)

ADM. Reshmar

Draco Vereen said:
Blood in the Stars Don't you like my names? Fleet Battle. Remake Druckenwell, it was awesome, this will be awesome too. 50km each side. Through caution to the wind, its Coruscant, winner take all.
We should move away from meter count as well and focus on the story. Realistically having 100km of ships might seem cool but it is just too much to deal with. I think we should approach fleeting like we did at Contruum. Each pweson involved gets a certain amount of a certain class of ship. There we got to have 1 destroyer, 1 cruiser, 1 frigate, and 1 corvette. Now i understand this is a bit limiting but the idea is sound. Each writer could get 1 destroyer, 2 cruisers, 4 frigates, and 6 corvettes for instance. I mean those numbers are just basic it would be worked out. The whole same amount of ships in meters is just not In Character realistic and since losses do not count now needless.

Dallen Thayne said:
Is Caamas neutral or OS controlled? (in regards to the supply and fallback idea)
Neutral.

As a Note, I wouldn't suggest struggling over these in Invasion terms. Knock out a Fleet limit, (For logistical sake), and go "Hey, you guys post two Settings or Locations with rough outlines for why these would be fought over, we will too, and we will let out writers do the rest."

Basically, set the scene for the writers. IE This is the location and general area, this is the scope of that part of the battle for the planet. Let them take it from there. There was one invasion I read where [member="Ayden Cater"] ran around on his own, doing his own thing for the most part, and it really set the scene for me as a reader (it was way before my time. Into the Jaws of Death. If you have the time, go read that invasion.) without him dueling six people to pulps.

We should move away from meter count as well and focus on the story. Realistically having 100km of ships might seem cool but it is just too much to deal with. I think we should approach fleeting like we did at Contruum. Each person involved gets a certain amount of a certain class of ship. There we got to have 1 destroyer, 1 cruiser, 1 frigate, and 1 corvette. Now i understand this is a bit limiting but the idea is sound. Each writer could get 1 destroyer, 2 cruisers, 4 frigates, and 6 corvettes for instance. I mean those numbers are just basic it would be worked out. The whole same amount of ships in meters is just not In Character realistic and since losses do not count now needless.
I use examples. Meterage makes logistical sense, but personally, if you prefer that and can convince the other folks that's solid to, go for it.

[member="Reshmar"]
For a change I was not lazy and I did some counting
GR members posting in dueling thread of Togoria:
1.Masters - 3
2.Knights - 6
3.Apprentices - 1
5.Mercs/NFUs - 3

It's not about resources. You just don't have writers. And these are the facts. :D

Matier said:
For a change I was not lazy and I did some counting GR members posting in dueling thread of Togoria: 1.Masters - 3 2.Knights - 6 3.Apprentices - 1 5.Mercs/NFUs - 3 It's not about resources. You just don't have writers. And these are the facts.

Dueling being the key word. Have you looked at the fleeting or grounding portions of Togoria?

Traditionally, the Republic hasn't been the strongest on classic PVP dueling, but it's been unusually strong with NFU's leading military units.

ADM. Reshmar

Matier said:
It's not about resources. You just don't have writers. And these are the facts.
5 writers who write an amazing story can win against 40 writers who do not. It is not about numbers any more. Sure we want to get more people involved and add tot he GR writer pool but numbers will not win an invasion. As long as a faction has 5 writers they can win even if they are writing against 100. The story is what matters not how many people post on which side. And we have writers aplenty, but most of the GR writers have stopped writing in invasions.

In character resources matter very much when it comes to the story. Lets recruit people sure but in the end that will not help us win invasions. A good story with in character plots and resources will.

[member="Reshmar"]

A petty officer can't command a capital ship. An apprentice can't oppose Vornskr. It's not the number of people that matters. It's what they can do.
How many tanks do you have among FUs? Judging by the last invasion - zero.

Don't fool yourself. There is no way to write a nice story between a tree-hugging Jedi and an almost omnipotent Sith killing machine.

Actually, this new set of rules made it worse for GR. Before you could have more allies over, so decent PvPers from GA and SSC would come over for invasions.

In the end, if you do go for Coruscant, go with a single mission. Torch the planet. If I am not mistaken, GR has a ship that is capable of orbital bombardment. If not, develop it. And frelling torch the place from orbit. And then just leave.

[Member=Reshmar]

I hadn't made myself privy to the new invasion rule set, I've been too busy to keep up much on OOC; thanks for the heads up.

After reviewing the new guidelines, I feel even better about our chances at success. These parameters are much more fluid and are something I've wanted to see done for ages. I'm excited for this.

[Member=Matier]

As swell an idea as simply torching the planet is, I think it makes for poor story telling, which has moved to the forefront of judging.

Yes, let's try glassing Coruscant, murdering hundreds of billions of our own people so that we can provide ammo for their PR campaign labeling us as bigger monsters than they are. OS Psyops needs to be a little more subtle.

Anyway, I don't mind setting up shop on the ground with some commandos to connect with some resistance cells. We can work on securing the scrubbers that [member="Draco Vereen"] mentioned, and soften the OS's AA with some demo work and slicing in advance of a ground assault. In the meantime, we get to work on our own propaganda campaign to let folks know that we're back in the neighborhood. [member="Faith Organa"], it would be nice if GRIM could get involved in this.

Personally, I find the idea of a Kuat invasion more attractive, just to test out this new system. We'll still get a nice row of planets along the way, including Rendilli.

BTW, the systems cut off in the map game haven't given up fighting the OS. I'm trying to organize anyone who's willing into a minor faction to coordinate opposition against the OS in the area. I have Carida and Eshan on board, which represents a sizeable chunk of GR military assets. Kiribi also has a large standing army, and a strong technology and manufacturing sector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom