Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Glamour and Gowns | Rowena Arenais

T A G | Rowena Arenais
L O C A T I O N | Dragonne Palace, Illyria
W E A R I N G | {x}

Illyria had been bathed in fresh morning light by the time Saraya had opened her eyes. The floor to ceiling window garbed in purple velvet curtains had been left partially open to allow a breeze to roll through the room. Saraya stretched the exhaustion from her muscles with a soft groan. A flutter of excitement filled her stomach as realisation dawned on her face.

There was much to do today, and as desperately as she wanted to, she could not linger in bed.

Saraya and her small family had been staying on Illyria for the better part of a week now, in preparation for the wedding. They had enjoyed their time getting to know the planet better, and its people, but now they had work to do. Cool marble pressed up against her feet as Saraya made her way over to the wardrobe to pick something suitable out.

By the time she had chosen, Cilla had found her way into her rooms. “Good morning!” Her trill tone sang out as she burst through the doors. Saraya grimaced. “Good morning to you too.” Cilla, as beautiful and kind as she was, looked rather like a beast of burden as she trudged over to help Saraya with the back of her dress. “Your mother is already waiting for us in the throne room.” Saraya narrowed her eyes somewhat and cast her friend a glance through the mirror.

“Am I late?” Cilla smirked, and shook her head. “Yes, but she was early anyway.” Saraya flashed her a smirk of her own and quickly ran her fingers through the tangled mess of chocolate brow hair on her head. With two of them at the task, getting ready took Saraya far less time than it normally would have. Before too long she and Cilla were making their way to the throne room to meet Rowena. The walk itself wasn’t too extensive, but it was long enough to make them a little later than Saraya had expected to be.

The large set of double doors leading into the throne room opened on well-oiled hinges. “Mama?” Saraya’s voice called, echoing off the polished walls as the doors closed behind them.

-Shelved-

S
Rowena was an early riser. She always had been. There was much to do while others were asleep. And it was the time in which she was usually by herself and could be herself. What most people saw, including Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais was merely a front, one that always showed her to be on top of everything and ahead of the game. Only Bastin ever got to see her true emotions and her true self. And thankfully he wasn't the type to share that with anyone.

So by the time her daughter had finally awoken, Rowena was waiting with a cup of sapir tea in hand. She was sitting in a chair, poised, straight and with her ankles crossed and tucked underneath her chair while reading through a file on a datapad.

It was the motion of Saraya stepping in that caused her to look up, hiding her disappointment in her daughter's tardiness as they were not in their own home. "Sara dear, good morning. Have you eaten? We have much to do."

T A G | Rowena Arenais

There it was.

That trademark look of disappointment.

Saraya offered her mother a bashful smile and had the decency to look halfway ashamed of herself. “I’m sorry we are late, Mama.” There was no point offering her an excuse, she hated them more than the act of being late itself, but she offered one regardless. “I saw Adron last night. We stayed up quite a while.” Cilla giggled.Talking.Saraya added onto the end, shooting her friend a rather serious look that silenced her in an instant.

“I have.” Saraya lied about the food. There hadn’t been time for breakfast, but that was of little consequence. She was certain they would be able to procure some if the need arose. Placing her hands behind her back, she offered her mother a rather excitable smile. They had discussed it at length in the coming weeks, and Saraya had insisted that the dress be the first thing on their list. She was, after all, ever her mother’s daughter in that regard.

Cilla seemed to be almost as excited as she was. The shopping district on Mnemosyne was impressive, but Illyria’s were unmatched. A city drenched in finery and grandeur to begin with could hardly afford to be less, especially where it counted the most. “Are you ready?”

-Shelved-

S
Rowena raised a brow ever so slightly towards Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais and her Lady's maid Cilla. Talking. Right. That was usually the first thing that teenagers used for an excuse to hide the fact that they were sleeping around. But really the sooner that her daughter starting bearing children, the better to secure her family's future. "Well, let's hope that those talks have some promising results."

She didn't have her own Lady's maid yet. But all in good time. Rowena was much pickier than her daughter and there was quite the vetting process. She had a lot of secrets that she kept close to her chest. The least that knew about them, the better. And any that did know needed to be trusted to not share that information to others.

Rowena stood up in a fluid motion, finished her tea and set the cup and saucer down before walking over to her daughter and slipping her arm into hers to link them. "Of course I'm ready, Sara dear. Now it has been ages since I have done any shopping on Illyria. It'll be an adventure for the both of us." Rowena more or less led the way out of the throne room. It was time to hunt down the best wedding dress that ever existed.

T A G | Rowena Arenais

A faint hint of scarlet far beyond her usual rouge tainted the tops of Saraya’s cheeks. For the moment, she ignored her mother’s comments. Even if it had been the case, it wasn’t something Saraya necessarily wanted to talk about. To anyone.

Her mother stood in one swift, graceful movement that made her look like a bird taking flight. When she commented on how long it had been since she had shopped in Illyria, Saraya remembered. It was easy to forget that her mother had been born and raised on Illyria. She knew it better than anyone currently present in the room. As mother and daughter linked their arms, Saraya spoke. “I believe Adron set aside a royal shuttle for us to use today.” An eager smile wormed its way onto her lips as they both set off from the throne room in tandem.

Once they were far enough away from Cilla, who followed behind at a respectful distance, Saraya spoke again. “I’m serious, Mama. About the talking.” Saraya shot her mother a gaze as they walked arm in arm down the corridor. “We actually discussed my healthcare proposal.” There was no shortage of excitement in her tone. Rowena herself had some part to play in drafting the initial policies, but Saraya had poured a lot of time and research into perfecting it. “He was rather impressed with it.”

The journey to the shuttle was quite a short one, as was the journey to the shopping district, but there would be enough time to briefly discuss it away from prying ears.

-Shelved-

S
"A royal shuttle? How wonderful." Rowena certainly wasn't the type to turn that down. Indeed it was something that she was ready to get used to. And it seemed as though Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais was already getting quite used to it herself. They deserved to be treated the best, afterall, for they were the best.

She listened carefully as her daughter reiterated what her previous night was fulfilled with. And of course Rowena couldn't be more proud. "Promising results indeed. Let's hope that the initiative is accepted and legislated." Already Saraya was doing well by her lessons. She gave her a sparkling smile that can only be made all the more brighter by shopping.

"And is your Lady's maid accompanying us?" With Rowena there with her, there wasn't much of a need for a Lady's maid as well. Especially given that the shuttle was sure to have servants that could carry their bags and boxes of clothing.

T A G | Rowena Arenais

Saraya smiled to herself. It was a rare opportunity to feel pride radiating from her mother like heat from the sun. Her daughter could have complained about it openly, but Saraya rather liked how difficult it was to please her. Over the years it had been motivation enough to continue improving herself. To strive for the proud expression that her mother currently wore. Without it, Saraya wondered what kind of woman she would have grown into. There was a possibility that it would have been far from who she was today. So far, that Saraya pictured that none of this… the palace, the titles, the wedding, Adron. None of it would have happened without Rowena.

She had much to be grateful for.

“I’m not worried about the court. It seems the task of pleasing them is far more simple than we had originally expected.” Turning to face her mother, she flashed her a confident smile. “I believe I’ve already made quite the impression on them. Adron has high hopes that the proposal will cement that.” At the mention of Cilla, Saraya turned her head just slightly to catch her friend’s pale blue gaze. She was far more than just a lady’s maid. The two had been close on Mnemosyne. Granted she had been given the position of lady’s maid once they had taken up residence in the palace, but that did not change the fact that she was the closest thing Saraya had to a friend.

For a few moments, she debated on sending Cilla back to the rooms. Saraya realised why her mother was asking. Her presence wasn’t entirely necessary, but Saraya had promised she could come along. “I think she’ll be useful. A third set of eyes can’t do us any harm.” She finally spoke as the doors out of the palace were opened by two stern-looking men garbed in Illyrian armour. Saraya was growing used to their constant presence. They were almost part of the furniture now.

The hot Illyrian sun beat a heavy rhythm on the tall marble palace, but it was not an uncomfortable heat. It was a rather perfect day, in fact.

At the end of a short runway, a shuttle painted in silver and purple sat waiting for them. “I do wish we had brought Anita with us.” Saraya commented as she ducked into the cool shade of their transport. The plush seats waiting within were more than appreciated by Saraya as she settled into one. “I think she would have enjoyed the attention.” Saraya shot her mother another knowing smile.

-Shelved-

S
Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais was a good daughter for the most part. Always taking her lessons well, a quick study. However there were times when Rowena caught her faltering in both her manners and her focus. But her daughter was still young. However such scrutiny would be much harsher in the Royal Courts. Their judgement would be all the more strict. It was what Rowena had trained her for, and hopefully those efforts would be appreciated.

Hearing that the Royal Court would be easier to please than they had realized was good news. Rowena remembered how critical and untrustworthy that they had seemed when she had visited to propose the marriage between Saraya and Adron. And as much as Saraya might be well accepted among them, Rowena knew that she had a tougher task ahead for herself. "That's wonderful to hear, Sara dear."

And as Saraya wanted Cilla to come with them, Rowena couldn't so readily disagree. The thought of Anita coming along caused her to laugh softly. "Sara dear, if Anita was here she'd be telling you to go to her shop instead. That and she'd be criticising every outfit you find." No doubt the shop owner would be jealous too.

T A G | Rowena Arenais

Saraya smirked and nodded her head at her mother’s comments. “She would.” Anita was a very exuberant fashion designer with an exceedingly respected shop on the high streets of Mnemosyne. Every outfit Saraya had worn from the moment of her birth had come from Antia. Buying her wedding dress from someone else almost felt like cheating on her, but she would understand.

The day itself was not just about Adron and Saraya tying themselves to each other, but Saraya tying herself to Illyria too. It would look far better on her part to make use of local fashion.

It was a short journey from the palace to the city, which lay just beyond the borders of the tall marble walls that surrounded it. By the time they reached the shopping district a small crowd of people had gathered around the entrance. Their heads poked curiously out from behind a barrier as they attempted to peek through the tinted windows of the shuttle. Jean had insisted on royal guards outside the doors, but in her naïve nature, Saraya had insisted otherwise. Her presence was not meant to interrupt Illyrian life but to blend into it. As if she had always been there.

Granted, she was still somewhat of a curiosity. However, in time, they would view her as they viewed Adron. Jean had made it deafeningly clear that her idea to allow the shop to remain open during her visit would not be happening. Still, at least there were no guards. Stepping out from the shuttle with the hand of a helpful attendant, Saraya and her mother made their way into the store.

They were greeted by a friendly face belonging to an exceedingly tall man with hollow features. “Welcome, Ladies of House Arenais. Please come through.” His slender arms directed them to the heart of the shop where individual changing rooms lay waiting. As they walked, Saraya slid her arm into her mothers once more. Visible excitement was written on her face as she turned to look at her. “Where do we even begin?” It would be a fine balance attempting to find something that suited the myriad of things the dress would represent.

-Shelved-

S
Having no others around was wonderful for Rowena to hear. It meant that they were being given the shop owner's full attention, as they should be.

Rowena of course, still had Anita in mind as they arrived at the shop and exited the shuttle. And it was almost as though the Mnemosyne shopowner was channeling herself through Rowena, for already she was looking upon the Illyrian shop with a critical eye. Of course this wasn't the only shop that they had to go to. If nothing suitable was found, then that was fine. They were always able to see Anita.

She smiled as Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais hooked her arm into hers as the two walked. As they passed the shopowner, Rowena gave him a nod in greeting. "Thank you. As you know, we are looking for the perfect garment for what will be a perfect day. I assume that everything would be tailored to fit?" She then tilted her head towards her daughter as she spoke softly to her. "Why don't you start going through the colours you fancy first, and we'll see if anything suitable is within them."

T A G | Rowena Arenais

Saraya had never known butterflies to be violent before, but the ones in her stomach were certainly taking a good shot at it. The attendant sat them both down on the nearest sofa. “Indeed, my Lady Arenais. Everything is tailored.” He started, but quickly added on the end. “Can I offer you all something to drink?” Saraya responded with some sweet tea for herself, but she left the question open for her mother to answer if she wished it. Perhaps as the day went on, she would indulge in a little champagne, but it was far too early in the morning for Saraya’s current tastes.

What her mother suggested was a wise idea.

“I thought white would be best.” Saraya responded, but her voice sounded hesitant. She didn’t have to wear white. True it was tradition, and Illyria was rather a traditional place. “But perhaps a splash of colour on it wouldn’t be such a bad idea?” Behind her, she thought she could Cilla shaking her head softly, but Saraya ignored it.

When the attendant returned with her tea and the other drinks, Saraya offered him a friendly smile. “I’d like to see everything you have in white, and perhaps something with a little colour on the hem? Preferably purple.” He handed her the saucer and offered her a flourishing display as he bowed low to her request. “Of course, wait just a moment please.” Saraya indulged herself in a sip of the strongly honied liquid. It was refreshing and soothing.

They waited for a few moments before two attendants came back, each guiding a long rack of white gowns with either hand. They set them up in the centre of the room and walked back to fetch more. Saraya stood, abandoning her cup on the table for the meanwhile. “Well…” She said, as two more racks were wheeled in. “This is everything we have in white, my Lady. We can, of course, tailor anything to suit your needs should you require it. The other things will be along shortly.” Saraya nodded her thanks and swept her hands over the skirts of her dress to flush out any creases.

She took three measured paces to the first rack of intensely white dresses. There were puffy princess style ones that took up half the rack, slender revealing bohemian dresses, tight form-fitting mermaid skirts… more styles than Saraya had ever seen in one room before. She reached out to slide a particular hanger across the rail. “Nothing with too big a skirt.” Saraya commented as she discarded the first overly large pile of chiffon and lace. Immediately, the attendants in the room move forward to remove the dress and several others from the rack.

The next dress she hovered over for a moment or two, before pulling out the silk skirt to feel the material beneath her fingers. It was plain and on the boring side of simple. Perhaps what was needed for a wedding of such a grand scale. She let the fall from her hand with a sigh. If there was one thing she could say for certain, it was that she knew what she did not want. That still meant sifting through a thousand other dresses that she may want. "What do you think, Mama?"

-Shelved-

S
Rowena chose some red wine for herself. She wasn't going to turn down a chance to indulge herself a little. Nor was she ever going to be at risk for spilling it.

"White with a splash of colour? I'd say that sounds marvelous, Sara dear."

She watched as Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais went through some of the racks of dresses that were wheeled in. There were some dresses in there that would surely drown her daughter in fabric and fortunately, she had the good taste to turn those aside. Good girl. Yet it was clear to see that she wasn't exactly pleased with what was already put on display. In Rowena's mind that was far better than Saraya loving everything. When it came to a wedding, it was perfectly suitable to be overly critical.

"You would do well to think of how your day will be, and everything that you will be doing during your day. Will you be planning on sitting or standing a lot? Dancing a lot? Often I put fashion over comfort, but on such an important day as your wedding, it is better to be prepared. We don't need a bride that faints during the ceremony, nor would you want to be too exhausted and sore when it comes to consummation. So nothing too tight or too heavy is what I suggest."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom