Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Ghost-Hunter Sensor Array, SF-2.0M

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

Intent: To create a compact, advanced sensor array for starfighters for use in future submissions and role-playing.
Image Source(s): N/A
Canon Link(s): N/A
Primary Source(s):
PRODUCTION INFORMATION

Manufacturer: Visanj T’shkali
Affiliation: Closed-Market (CIS Only)
Model: Ghost-Hunter Sensor Array, SF-2.0M
Modularity: None.
Production: Semi-Unique
Material(s): Stygian Triprismatic Reinforced Duraplast, electronic components, sensor components.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
STRENGTHS:
  • Three-stage system allows optimal and incredibly broad-range sensor capabilities for hyperspace, realspace, and against cloaked vessels and stealth technology.
  • Signal-boosting technologies incorporated into the design provides greater range and precision than most other systems used on starfighters presently.
WEAKNESSES:
  • For all of its signal-boosting and broad-range sensor capabilities, the Ghost Hunter is still limited in its range and lacks the ability to reach as far or be as precise or detailed as sensor arrays found on larger vessels, despite being one of the most powerful systems for starfighters available.
  • Ability to detect stealth and cloaked vessels is limited to determining only a small general area and also by the relative size of the cloaked vessel. Larger, more powerful cloaking devices will remain secure, and those using Adegan crystals or other Force-related means of avoiding detection will not be found.
  • The Ghost Hunter system relies on cooperation with the ships’ computers, ECM, targeting, and communications arrays to maximize effectiveness, and if and when these systems become damaged or compromised, so too will the effectiveness of the Ghost Hunter.
  • The Ghost Hunter, due to the sheer number of miniaturized components involved, requires a com-scan and droid brain to manage it, both of which are included into the design. However, these are vulnerable – with sufficient skill and adequate time – to dedicated slicing attacks and carry the risk of compromise and possible partial or full deactivation through this means.
  • The Ghost Hunter requires a notable amount of power, and can only achieve maximum performance on starfighters which have excellent power plants and / or power management, or else if a separate power source is used.
DESCRIPTION
To create an effective sensor suite for today’s starfighters, given the enormity of existing technologies, particularly with regard to stealth technologies, was not simple task. Engineers on this project combed through literally thousands of hours of research, reaching back far into the past, as well as studying cutting-edge emerging technologies before reaching their conclusions. The new sensor array had to be a hybrid of new and old, a coming together of ancient technology and modern innovation, and the result of this was the Ghost Hunter Sensor Array.

The first element of this new sensor array was to create a potent hyperspace sensor package. Developed during the First Order-Resistance War by First Order scientists and technicians, active trackers were once large proprietary systems, often highly guarded to protect the secrets of these (formerly) cutting-edge sensors. However, in the centuries since then, like most forms of technology, they have been increasingly miniaturized and their once-guarded secrets are now widely used. Able to track ships even through hyperspace, active trackers can ‘lock’ on to a ship or fleet and continue to track it like a bloodhound on a trail, relentlessly pursuing their targets virtually anywhere. Coupled with this, long-range phased tachyon detectors, gravitic sensors, and spatial flux dilation spectrometers which could pinpoint a ship entering or existing hyperspace or else scan for mass shadows and other threats while in hyperspace, even detecting very powerful gravity wells or interdiction fields before exiting hyperspace – avoiding traps and navigational risks – making a powerful hyperspace sensor package.

Next up, they sought to create long-range realspace sensors, beginning with a navigational sensor, then adding a full-spectrum transceiver (Similar to the ones created by Fabritech which were used in the X-Wing starfighters), dedicated energy receptor, energy scanner, energy wave detector, radiation sensor, and finally, a targeting sensor. These sensors, miniaturized (as everything in the Ghost Hunter is) and working in tandem both actively and passively surveyed the areas around the ship, locating and identifying anomalies, assisting avionics and piloting, tracking other ships, communications, energy signatures, radiation (including ion emissions – the most commonly used propulsion being ion engines), and much, much more. A pilot, with such breadth and depth available to them, would have a detailed and real-time picture of the space surrounding him. To this end, a K-Blakan mini sensor was added, providing rear warning capabilities working in concert with the ship’s ECM suite. A PN-4 component was used also. Originally developed for long-range exploration, these components could boost sensor ranges terrifically and allow pilots to see much further than their enemy counterparts.

Lastly, the real question was how to defeat stealth technologies and cloaked ships. The answer was found in ancient Holo-records, and was the Alibata-Unyo system. Reverse-engineered from ancient schematics, these systems use hardware and software together to create targeting telemetry able to detect cloaked ships. While not able to detect them with absolute precision, or even to detect especially-powerful cloaking devices like those on very large military-grade ships or those which use Force-related materials such as adegan crystals, they work very well against smaller-sized (Below 2,000m) vessels using standard stygium or hibridium technology. In fact, the smaller the ship, the easier the detection, due to concentration of cloak effect and limitations to that effect brought on by sizing constraints. To aid in this, a combination of pulse generator and aural sensors were added, acting as a sort of SONAR-like effect to detect ships while cloaked, listening for them in the same manner submarines hunt one another beneath the ocean surface where light and visibility may be compromised. The two technologies together gave pilots a very good indication, accurate to within very small areas, in which a cloaked ship could be found, limiting the need to strafe an entire vast section of space to attack a single cloaked ship. At the very least, it ensured that being sneaked up on by an enemy intent on a surprise attack became a thing of the past.

In all, the Ghost Hunter represents one of the best and most powerful three-stage sensor packages available for starfighters today!

Just so you are aware, while this submission is not restricted to Semi-Unique, any ships submitted with this technology will have to be submitted at Semi-Unique production in order to adhere to Factory Rules.

[member="Visanj T'shkali"]

That is understood, and much appreciated [member="Laira Darkhold"]. Thanks for the heads up! If I might ask, I know you're referring to the stealth / cloaking detection elements, but might I ask which particular systems / components must be removed to eliminate the need for a rating of "Semi-Unique", as I'd very much like to sub a less restricted variant in the future. Thank you very much for your input on this.

Its not specific parts, but the capabilities of the submission as a whole. If it can be used to detect heavily restricted Cloaking/Stealth Technology, it to is similarly restricted.

Visanj T'shkali said:
While not able to detect them with absolute precision, or even to detect especially-powerful cloaking devices like those on very large military-grade ships or those which use Force-related materials such as adegan crystals, they work very well against smaller-sized (Below 2,000m) vessels using standard stygium or hibridium technology. In fact, the smaller the ship, the easier the detection, due to concentration of cloak effect and limitations to that effect brought on by sizing constraints.
My only other suggestion is this. This seems like it would be the reverse. Generally a bigger ship, the easier it is to detect. Larger vessels generally have greater magnetic signatures, more easily detected ion trails, and the issue that since it is bigger its more likely to be accidentally bumped among other obstacles.

While its not required, would you mind explaining your thinking here?

Sure, [member="Laira Darkhold"], thanks for asking! My logic here is this: A ship, in this case larger than 2000m, would have a much larger, more powerful cloaking system aboard than say a frigate, corvette and certainly, a starfighter, would have. Because of this, the cloaking effect, while having a larger signature, would also have a stronger cloak performance than the smaller-sized ships, i.e. more emitters, better sustained projection, further sensor-jamming range, etc. Because this sensor suite is intended for starfighters, it features miniaturized components and therefore a reduced range and power levels, meaning that detection isn't really possible at further distances. Smaller vessels, however, can only carry so much aboard, so while an SSD might be able to reasonably devote 30m to dedicated stealth technology and systems, a smaller ship is forced to say 'good enough' and limit itself to more general technologies. The same holds true with submarine warfare irl, where smaller 2-or-4-man submarines can use stealth technologies, they are less 'invisible' than bigger nuclear-class submarines who can project stealth effects at much higher intensity and range. So I was pretty much going by this as it might translate to spaceships and space combat. A big ship can more completely hide, particularly from a starfighter with limited range and sensor abilities, no matter how advanced. Smaller ships then would not be able to 'muffle' themselves as easily, and the telemetry used to detect them in this suite would be more successful. Counter-intuitive as it is, it's easier to find a two-man sub with a few general sensor-evasion systems and baffling than it is to find a mammoth nuke sub with a whole room of such equipment and a reactor powering it.

The Canon Cloaking Devices, generally disagree with your logic. Even Personal Cloaking Devices are generally more than capable of hiding the person wearing it from sight. The small transport in Clone Wars has no issues with its Cloaking Device's power constraints. Thrawn's various asteroids (dozens of which were placed in a Star Destroyer's Hangar) were all powered fine without a starship-scale reactor.

You're free to leave it, but it is certainly far outside the norm in terms of the material provided to us.

First, let me say thank you for taking the time to review this sub, [member="Runi Verin"], and congrats on your promotion! [member="Laira Darkhold"] thank you for your interest in this sub.
What suggestion are you referring to [member="Runi Verin"]?

Runi Verin

Two pounds shy of a bomb.

Suggestion to potentially bring it closer in line with the norm.

I don't think it is strictly necessary in this instance, and I'm happy to approve, but I didn't want to do so until giving you a chance to respond.

[member="Runi Verin"] Thank you for that, I know Laira also was bothered / confused by the counter-intuitiveness behind this sub and how it appears to conflict with more standardized SW technologies. Perhaps I did a poor job in explaining it, but roughly speaking, it's a starfighter technology and thus has limited range and power behind it, which I see as being less able to penetrate large cloaking effects and stealth suites like those used in larger capital ships. However, for smaller ships, I figured it might have more success, particularly as ships become smaller and proportionately the power systems and ranges of their stealth technology would also. How might you suggest possible corrections or adjustments to achieve what this sub is meant to be and yet remain in keeping with traditional SW tech?

Runi Verin

Two pounds shy of a bomb.

I think you're almost good as is. I understand what you're going for and it does make a certain amount of sense, it just isn't quite the way we've come to expect nor is it strictly supported in canon. I am fine with passing this through, however.

That said, following this recent rule amendment, the production will have to be reduced to Semi-Unique.

Change that and I'll stamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom