Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting It Together

FORT AMARANTH
CONFERENCE ROOM

Eugene sat hunched over, hands in fists that rested on the table’s surface. “Who the hell is this guy? Huh? He just thinks he can waltz in here and start… Ordering us around?” He looked to the only other two people in the conference room, Rahgot and Deglarch, seeking confirmation. Rahgot stood in one of the corners on account of his size, arms folded. His upper lip twitched, on the verge of either frowning or smiling, when Eugene looked at him.

When Eugene looked down the table towards where Deglarch sat, the Nikto looked serious but kept his tone neutral when he replied. “Doesn’t matter. We’re still getting paid.”

“Money is not issue,” said Rahgot. “Issue is new leader. I do not know him. You do not know him.”

Eugene looked pleased, but his expression fell as Rahgot continued.

“But life debt is to Maleagant. Maleagant says to follow new man, I follow new man. No questions asked.”

“Agreed,” Deglarch said. Eugene reddened.

“It should have been one of us.”

“You want to lead this thing, Rahgot?” Deglarch asked. The Mandallian shook his head.

“Busy enough as is.”

“Strange, I feel the same way.”

Eugene scowled first, then scoffed. “He could have at least offered it to us.”

Deglarch leaned back into his chair and folded his arms, peering down at Eugene. “He did. Twice.” Deglarch had been expecting Eugene to look dumbfounded in that moment, but not Rahgot. He quickly clarified. “Well, he offered me, anyway.”

Rahgot gave a hmph. He still did not want the job posting, but could not help but feel miffed Maleagant had not spoken to him about it anyway. This was no issue of trust. It was just rude. The Shi’ido probably knew what he was doing anyway. He had never steered anyone in this room wrong as far as he could tell. Except for Eugene, apparently.

“You didn’t know about that?” Deglarch asked, sounding surprised. “You’re in charge of intelligence. I thought-”

“I don’t spy on Syndicate people. Waste of resources.”

“Maybe if you did, we wouldn’t have had that break-in, or gotten the Crimson Horse stolen.” Deglarch returned. He might have looked down his nose if he had one.

“You’re one dumb orange bastard, you know that? He wouldn’t have been hired in the first place if you had screened him before giving him the job.”

“Not my job to screen people. I just maintain security, Big Boy over there, he’s in charge of hiring and training.”

Rahgot chortled, but it was a stale sound that intimated that he might just punch whoever drew him further into this argument. Not that such a need ever arrived, as the doors slid open just then…

FORT AMARANTH
CONFERENCE ROOM

Tytos Ardik had never so much as held a weapon in his entire life, much less fought a battle. He walked like a soldier anyway, posture straight, hands clasped behind his back. Deglarch would later swear that the room dropped a few degrees in temperature the moment he stepped inside. Rahgot would mention feeling his insides turn to ice when the Umbaran glanced at him. Eugene, prideful sort, would not say anything about the new boss who stared straight at him now, as if he had heard everything that had been said.

The Umbaran’s face was hardened, like it had been caved from stone. Though it lacked the handsome features most sculptors would apply. Rigid, cold, and ghostly pale - Tytos looked to have had more in common with a corpse in rigor mortis than a near-human. His eyes looked like they were glossed over, but this was only a trait common to some Umbarans. Those assembled could still feel his eyes on them and it only heightened his rather disquieting presence. They almost didn’t notice the Sallust-Class Service Droid that followed him in, likely some kind of attendant.

Deglarch straightened his posture and Rahgot unfolded his arms.

“Gentlemen,” Tytos said, finally releasing Eugene from his withering gaze to glance between Rahgot and Deglarch. “I am Tytos Ardik. Allow me to set the tone of our future partnership, long may it last.”

The three lieutenants looked expectantly to Tytos. Deglarch had no illusions that very much would change with this new administration. Eugene waited patiently for the opportunity to say something contrarian to the Umbaran and make his status as a malcontent known. Rahgot was not the sort to be easily cowed, but otherwise looked like he was listening attentively.

Tytos privately took note of their stances and continued. “You will all continue your duties as you always have, only now you will be reporting directly to me. I have been given complete discretion to relieve any personnel I determine to be a liability to this institution.”

Eugene tensed as Tytos paused. The Umbaran was gauging their reactions, so of course he noticed Eugene and seemed to hone in on him.

“I expect loyalty and cooperation from you all. Reshuffling top level executives will not be productive, but I won’t hesitate to do so if you give me a reason,.” He continued, “We will meet independently later today. Expect to be summoned to my office in the late afternoon. Make time.”

With a final nod to his attendant droid, Tytos turned and exited the conference room. The droid followed quickly after.

FORT AMARANTH
TYTOS’ OFFICE

As one might have expected, Tytos set up shop in Maleagant’s old office. Maleagant’s last days at Fort Amaranth had been spent mostly in his private quarters rather than his office. There had been rumors that he wasn’t handling paperwork in there. Something less explainable was going on. Lots of arcane wall markings and ritualistic items. Deglarch didn’t know where the rumors started. He did know that when he poked into the now-vacant room, the place was spotless. There was no sign of anything.

That was awhile ago. Now he was stepping foot into Tytos’ office at the appointed time. It was just getting into the late afternoon hours so Deglarch wagered he must have been the first. The first thing he noticed once inside was that it was dark. Considerably dark. The lights had been dimmed down quite low. Tytos had apparently wasted no time in implementing more obvious redecorating either. Finely crafted furniture had replaced the sparse and spartan collection Maleagant had been using. The walls even had paintings, but to Deglarch they all looked like monochrome blobs.

At the far end of the dark room, Tytos was waiting. “Take a seat.”

Deglarch sat himself and said nothing.

Tytos, meanwhile, retrieved a folder from an open drawer and flipped it open. “I understand you’re a Morgukai.”

“Was.”

“Hm, yes. I suppose past-tense would be more fitting, all things considered.” Tytos slowly leafed through the contents. There was not much there - in another moment the folder was closed and returned to the drawer. “Do you enjoy working here, Mr. Deglarch?”

Deglarch was a fighter to be sure, but he had grown to like this substantially cushier position. Sure, he killed people less often, but that also meant he risked his life less often too. Nowadays most of the field work was being left to people like Derrenger, Aldabert, and Grigori. The original big three had offices now. “Yeah. I do.”

“Good. Very good.” Strange, then, that Tytos’ tone suggested the very opposite. It was not rage so much as a flat skepticism, but he did not press Deglarch on the matter any further. “You oversee on-site security. How do you think you’ve done?”

“Well, nobody found this fort. Or the other ones. Nobody attacks us. Nobody’s broken in,” he paused, quickly adding “Well, nobody’s really broken in. And nothing too bad has happened as a result of a breach.”

Tytos folded his hands. “And what would you classify as… Too bad?”

Good question. Deglarch rubbed his chin. “Maybe like an explosion or something. You know, stuff getting destroyed, or folks dying.”

“An explosion, yes. I see what you mean.”

Silence. Tytos appeared to be sizing up the Nikto, analyzing him quietly.

“Uh, so-”

Tytos turned away, reaching down to open a drawer and find another folder. “That will be all, Mr. Deglarch. If you would, tell Rahgot to come down here as well.”

FORT AMARANTH
TYTOS’ OFFICE

Tytos had noticed that the door frames and ceilings in Fort Amaranth seemed to be higher than standard. Now that he was in a room with Rahgot, a Mandallian Giant, up close and personal, he was beginning to understand why. Strange that the fort’s architectural specifications had to be adjusted just for the sake of one employee. Rahgot must have been a very good employee. Very loyal, in any case. Tytos suspected Maleagant’s choice in selecting lieutenants was based on something other than competence.

If Rahgot wanted, he would have lifted one foot and crushed the plasteel desk Tytos sat at. Then, before the Umbaran could flee, Rahgot could have placed both hands around Tytos’ head. He would have been completely covered. Then Rahgot could have crushed it with the ease in which smaller creatures crushed a fly, or a roach, or some disease-carrying mosquito. If he wanted to. But he didn’t. Tytos had met Mandallian Giants before, surprisingly enough. He had conversed with them. Most of them were dullards, but Rahgot was sharper than that. Much sharper.

“Mr. Rahgot. I understand you were a pit fighter at one point.”

Rahgot nodded slowly, then cracked his neck. It was a sound like lumber breaking. Tytos nearly reacted to it, but that would have been a terrible breach of character. “Yes,” said Rahgot.

Tytos closed the folder he had been inspecting and placed it on the desk, sliding it away from him. Rahgot could not sit in one of these chairs, not without breaking it, and so was merely standing at the desk. Tytos had to lean back in order to look at the Mandallian. Something that could have been avoided if Rahgot had taken a few steps back, but Tytos suspected the positioning was purposeful.

“Did you enjoy that line of work?”

Rahgot scoffed. “I was a slave.” When Tytos only raised an eyebrow, Rahgot conceded. “There was much glory to be had. Yes, much glory and honor in combat.” Anticipating his next question, Rahgot added, “There is less opportunity for such things now, yes, not as active as once was. I do not care. I do as I am told. If Maleagant wishes me to oversee the debt collecting, I do that. He wants another thing, I do that. Yes.”

“I see, very interesting.” This was not, in fact, interesting at all. Predictable more like it. “You believe your training as a pit fighter and experience as a mercenary make you a good fit for your… Current role?”

The Mandallian shrugged. It was like watching a mountain rise and fall before Tytos’ very eyes. “I do well enough. The returns from debtors as high as they will ever be, yes. I am told there is glory in high returns.”

It sounded like whoever told Rahgot that had not completely convinced him. It was all the same, Tytos supposed. The Umbaran nodded slightly, appearing to agree.“Yes, glory indeed. Glory indeed… That will be all, Mr. Rahgot.”

This had been an awfully short meeting, if it could be called that. Rahgot raised an eye, but by now Tytos was engrossing himself in something else, retrieving another folder from somewhere in the cabinets behind the desk. Rahgot waited for a moment and, when he was not further acknowledged, slowly lumbered out of the room.

FORT AMARANTH
TYTOS’ OFFICE

And then came Eugene. The one human and supposedly “former” Mandalorian was the most combative of the three Lieutenants. Tytos would have been grateful to see another humanoid face around here if Eugene had not been such a hostile fellow. The Atrisian stormed in and sat himself down quite abruptly without so much as a hello. Yes, Tytos was aware that Eugene was taking this change in leadership a bit more harshly than the rest. He had apparently been a close ally of Maleagant since the onset of this company.

How unfortunate his loyalty did not match his competence.

“Mr. Eugene,” Tytos said, patient as ever. None of these people had surnames on file. He supposed that was what happened when you picked these people out from a mixed bag of garbage instead of, say, a proper hiring process. “I’ve been told you served as a mercenary for quite some time before you came here.”

Eugene was slouched in his chair, one leg propped up on the other. Truly he must have been something of a sentimental piece of Maleagant’s syndicate to have stuck around for this long with that attitude. Of course, Tytos could see the curve of this. Unlike Deglarch and Rahgot, Eugene was not as adjustable to his current duties. “Yeah. You heard right.”

“And you believe this experience makes you qualified to oversee-”

“Yeah,” Eugene cut him off harshly - defensively. “Yeah, it does. And yeah, I am.”

Tytos’ eyes flicked up from the folder he had been reading. Eugene’s inability to manage the Syndicate’s intelligence network had become more and more apparent the bigger it got. Felix, an Arconan, was now overseeing most of it due to his role in perfecting the Crimson Horse. Yet even with that reduced burden, Eugene still seemed to be struggling. A struggle that was manifested by repeated failures, repeated security breaches, repeated instances of the Syndicate being outmaneuvered by its now defunct rival, the Waylon Syndicate.

This had caused him to fall out of favor with Maleagant. Naturally.

Fortunately for the Syndicate, Tytos did not have nostalgia clouding his judgement.

“And that security breach last experienced-”

Eugene cut him off again. A nasty habit, that. “Like I told those two, that was their fault. If they had done their job, none of that would’ve happened. You wanna talk about that breach? Talk to them. That’s their field. Not mine.”

Tytos closed the folder softly. “I see. Thank you for clearing that up.”

Eugene scoffed. “No problem.”

“That will be all.”

FORT AMARANTH
CONFERENCE ROOM

Several days passed before Rahgot, Deglarch, and Eugene were summoned back to the conference room. Eugene looked particularly annoyed, practically red in the face. He did not even appear to acknowledge his colleagues. Deglarch and Rahgot were in neutral spirits at best. On one hand they had met several more times with Tytos over the course of those few days. On the other, all of those encounters had been too short to gauge his agenda. Just a few questions while he read through their files before dismissing them.

Eugene, meanwhile, had not been called in since the first one.

As far as they knew, Tytos had spent that time touring Fort Amaranth and meeting with the lower lieutenants and contractors. Felix and Chretien, for instance. At one point he flew out to inspect some of the collection centers. Maybe even some of the other facilities. Eugene would have all the details, not them. Though that certainly explained why he seemed so angry.

Right on cue, Tytos entered. In addition to his assistant, he was accompanied by a Trajan-Class Mk I War Droid. That was new. “Gentlemen. I appreciate your presence. I have finished my review.” Tytos paused after he said that. Deglarch straightened in his chair to resist the urge to lean forward. Rahgot was trying to look disinterested or calm, but failed when he shifted on his feet. It was a large gesture. Too big to miss. Eugene stared with defiance and fury, still as a statue.

Tytos ignored him and looked between Rahgot and Deglarch.

“Effective immediately, you will be returning to field duty. You will be replaced with more… Suitable candidates.”

Eugene immediately stood up. Too quickly. His chair was knocked to the ground and the war droid assumed a more defensive posture upon detecting aggression. “That’s bullchit. I’ve been here since the beginning, you can’t just shuffle us back out like a bunch of-”

“Not you, Mr. Eugene,” Tytos interrupted flatly. Finally he looked at the Atrisian.

For a moment, Eugene seemed placated. “Not… Me?”

“No. You’re fired.”

There had been a lot of silences between everyone in the room. None weighed quite like this one. It took Eugene a second to process what had been said, then suddenly he was launching himself across the table, fists swinging. The War Droid was between him and Tytos before anyone saw it move. Within a short space of time, Eugene was restrained by the droid, his face mashed into the table.

Rahgot had unfolded his arms now and was standing, more bewildered at Eugene’s outburst than his demotion. Deglarch was likewise caught up in the moment. But even as Eugene was squirming against the table, cursing away under the droid’s repeated requests that he stop resisting, Tytos was speaking. “Mr. Rahgot, Mr. Deglarch,” he said, “The two of you have been exemplary employees. We merely feel that your skillsets are better utilized elsewhere.”

“The hell do you mean, we?” Eugene barked, prompting another elbow from the droid.

Tytos sighed. “We’ll continue this later, shall we?”

FORT AMARANTH
CONFERENCE ROOM

Later, as it turned out, was another day later.

This time it was Tytos waiting for them in the conference room. And for some odd reason, the viewport was open this time. A massive, snowy expanse stretched before them. There were a range of mountains in the distance, but other than that the weather was calm. It was midday, or at least it appeared to be. The sun rose and fell in a stranger fashion here than elsewhere on the planet.

The war droid was gone this time, but the assistant droid wasn’t. Tytos himself was standing, gazing out the window, hands clasped royally behind his back. He half-turned to address the former overseers. “I assume you both went to see Mr. Eugene off?”

Deglarch sneered. Rahgot snorted. Neither of them were overly fond of Eugene. Not that it mattered, Tytos knew the answer. They might not have bid him a tearful farewell, but they had seen him boarding the shuttle in the hangar. Both were presumably unhappy with what they perceived as a demotion. “Understandable. He seemed rather uncouth. Allow me to make things more clear to you both.”

“You will both return to more active duties. The administrative tasks you are currently burdened with will be given to others. Your rate of pay will be cut somewhat, but you will both continue to serve in positions of authority within the Syndicate.” Tytos turned completely from the window now, facing them fully. “I offered Eugene this same arrangement. Privately, after he calmed down. He declined. That is, I suppose, his right.”

A shuttle, the one Eugene was taking out of fort Amaranth to begin his new life, zoomed by the window. The room rattled somewhat, Rahgot and Deglarch momentarily startled. The ship shrank into the distance, going further and further from view. Tytos kept talking. “But between his… Morale. And his bitterness, one might assume he he’ll hold something of a grudge. Grudge holders are something of a liability in my eyes.”

The shuttle had almost entirely vanished into the distance now, when it exploded. The noise or shock wave could not be heard or felt at this distance. The way the ship blossomed into a magnificent orange fireball, the way it billowed smoke as shrapnel rained down into the icy wasteland below - that was visible.

The corner of Deglarch’s mouth twitched erratically. Rahgot did not look very moved. It was neither man’s way to be intimidated by displays like this. Tytos was more than aware. They did not have to be intimidated, just made aware of the consequences of a bad attitude coupled with an inability to work effectively. They had to know that whatever semblance of friendship they had with Maleagant would not save them if they crossed the new administration.

“As I said before, men of your skills are still very much in demand,” he said, “We simply feel they are better applied to situations in need of a more aggressive approach. Do either of you have questions?”

Silence.

Tytos scoffed lightly. “Yes, I thought not. Very well, that will be all.”

FORT AMARANTH
TYTOS’ OFFICE

Felix the Arconan sat uncomfortably in the chair across from Tytos. The Umbaran was filling out paperwork. Paperwork. What paperwork did he have to fill out already? It felt like he just got here. Word traveled fast around Fort Amaranth. There was only a very small population of personnel, not counting the service and battle droids. For the most part Tytos’ presence was only felt by the higher ups, like the big three, and minor lieutenants, like Felix. But they had all heard what happened to Eugene. Tytos did not appear to be hiding it. The big three had been knocked down to the minor two - basically on the same level as Felix.

What did that mean for Felix? He was nervous - as far as he knew he had done his job right, so he wasn’t exactly sure why. He did everything he was supposed to and then some. Finally his nerves got the better of him. He had to say something. “You’re not gonna… Uh… Blow me up, are you?”

The scratching of Tytos’ pen on flimsiplast, previously the only sound in the room, stopped. Tytos’ eyes flicked up from the document and to Felix. “Excuse me?”

“Jutht, uh,” Felix smiled weakly. “Jutht a joke. I heard, you know, about Eu-, uh, Eugene.”

Tytos held Felix’s gaze for another few seconds before returning his attention to the form he was filling out. “Charming,” he said.

The silence resumed, but it wasn’t long before Felix was overcome with anxiety once again and felt compelled to break it. “Tho… Did you… Uh, need… Thomething?”

For the second time, the scratching halted. Tytos clicked the pen once and returned it to a small holder on his desk. “Indeed I do.” Folding his hands atop the desk, Tytos continued. “As you rather crudely pointed out, Eugene has been… What did you say?”

“Blow- blown up.”

“Yes,” Tytos rolled his eyes. Such a poor conversationalist under pressure. “Eugene has been blown up. His post will need to be filled by another. I imagine you would be suited for the job.”

Felix blinked, his giant yellow eyes betraying bewilderment. “M- me?”

“I cannot fathom why you would be surprised. You have been performing most of the duties associated with his position since your arrival regardless. All that remains is a matter of formality. And, of course, an increase to your current salary.”

It was strange, really, how a man could make a promotion feel like a slap in the face. Something about the tone. How could you be so stupid as to not see this coming? Why else would I call you in here? Felix did not realize he had been silent for several seconds.

Tytos sighed. “Am I to assume your silence is a yes? Or would you prefer...”

“No, no, uh. I’ll do it.” Felix snapped back to the present moment, nodding eagerly.

“Good.” Tytos said, retrieving his pen from the holder. “You should perform well, I imagine. You seem to have the right temperament for it.”

If Tytos didn’t know any better, he would have written off Felix as a lisping simpleton. Most did. He was incredibly nervous, yet somehow managed to meet performance expectations. Hopefully he would continue to do so, hiring internally was a much easier process.

FORT AMARANTH
TYTOS’ OFFICE

Not long after he had blown up an insubordinate employee, Tytos found himself being hounded by holomail. An Ishi Tib scientist employed at Fort Aetherius had apparently made a remarkable stride in food technology and was demanding to be seen. Being a man with many things on his plate and no time for uppity eggheads, Tytos ignored the scientist for quite some time. Once he was convinced of the security of the Syndicate’s gambling and private prison operations (by far some of their most profitable work), he decided to humor the Ishi Tib, Guovla Yussk, and let him come in.

The Ishi Tib entered the office with long, hurried strides. When he got to Tytos’ desk, he did not sit, but instead slammed a can onto it. As far as cans went, this one seemed rather… Robust. Tytos preferred more posh meals than what would normally be consumed out of a can, but he did recognize a self-heating unit when he saw one. Attached to the can appeared to be a couple of packets. One was marked “bantha steak” the other “roast queg.” Flavor packets?

Before Tytos could say anything, Guovla fished into the deep pockets of his labcoat and flung a couple of utensils onto Tytos’ desk. A spork and a can opener. Guovla was a short, fat Ishi Tib, and by the end of his hurried walking and flinging things in front of Tytos, he was panting rather obnoxiously. In addition to staring at Tytos.

Cold eyes flicked between Guovla and the can. “Good morning to you as well, Mr. Yussk,” he said. “Did you come all this way to show me a can?”

Guovla opened his beak, but no sound came out. Then he started talking. “Try it.”

“You’ll forgive me if I don’t immediately shove a foreign substance into my mouth without first inquiring after it’s nature.”

That got him going. Guovla pulled out a chair, sat down, then scooched as close to the desk as his girth would allow him. “This, this right here, this is the future of ration technology.” When Tytos didn’t say anything, Guovla decided to continue. “See, you eat one of these and - look, it’s basically just paste - but then you gain all the nutrients you need. You know, it’s like a complete, healthy meal. But without the hassle.”

“Interesting,” said Tytos. “It is good to see our research and development team have managed to invent the centuries old product of nutrient paste. Funding well placed, as usual.”

“Hey! Well, I mean, yeah.” It was always interesting someone’s tone changed when talking to a superior. Tytos wondered if Guovla had heard about Eugene yet. Probably not. “Look, but now I’ve got a whole different production process. That old nutrient paste? Santhe product. Good for what? Good for humans, sure, but definitely not me. That isn’t how they make them, but the way...”

Guovla trailed off, watching Tytos pick up the opener and begin cutting open the can. The Umbaran eventually noticed the quiet and glanced back up. “Please. Don’t let me interrupt. You were saying?”

“Huh? Oh yeah, well,” He continued even over the sound of the can be rended open, “We - and by we I mean me and the other team members - we can adjust what goes into the paste easier than the kind Santhe can produce. You know? So, like, we can get one for Kubaz. We can get one for, uh, Nikto. We can get one for Kaminoans. That kind of thing.”

The lid of the can was now removed and Tytos was eyeing the contents specifically. It was a thick, grey paste. It did not look particularly appetizing, but he supposed the point wasn’t taste so much as efficiency. Hence why the flavor packets were clearly an afterthought.

“You, uh, can heat the can if you hit that button right- yeah, that one. Then it makes it easier to stir in the flavoring.”

FORT AMARANTH
CONFERENCE ROOM

“Despite Mr. Yussk’s decidedly lackluster presentation, I find myself mostly convinced this could be somewhat profitable.” Tytos droned on, talking over the hologram slideshow presently taking place. “Several potential buyers have been lined up in several different governments. As such, I am giving the project the go-ahead.”

The members of this meeting were a lot different than the ones Maleagant used to hold. Instead of Rahgot, Eugene, and Deglarch, it was Felix and two other people he had never seen before. There was a shrewd looking Chiss woman. Felix reckoned she was pretty, but he found the buzzcut somewhat off-putting. Next to her was a Weequay. A Weequay in a suit. Felix never thought he’d see the day. He was as tight-lipped as any Weeuqya, but he also had sunglasses on. Sunglasses. Indoors. And the things were so thick they might as well have been slug-proof.

Where the hell do you even find people like this?

“Ultimately whatever we make selling these ration canisters is secondary. The agri-worlds in the Alignment have gone without listening posts of their own for long enough. The requisite equipment will be installed in each basement level. Do we all have an adequate understanding?”

Felix looked between buzzcut Chiss and shades Weequay. The Weequay was the one that spooked him the most, sitting there with his arms folded like that - not stirring, eyes totally obscured. What the hell was his job here?

Tytos took his answer from the silence anyway. “Splendid. Ms. Doresh, see to it that the necessary permits are filed on each world. Felix, I expect you’ll be in touch with logistics. Make sure they have everything they need to get things running in a timely manner. And Mr. Shun...”

Felix muttered a “yetthir” and nodded along, but he was focused on the Weequay, Mr. Shun. What was his job? What objective was Tytos to assign to such a mysterious figure…?

“You know what to do.”

Felix watched as Mr. Shun moved for the first time. It was the slowest nod he had ever seen executed by another humanoid. Seriously? What was-

“I think that concludes things for the day.” Tytos continued. “You’re all dismissed.”

Mr. Shun rose and exited like a soldier on a death march. Despite her severe buzzcut, Ms. Doresh moved more delicately, gathering her things before leaving. Since both of them made Felix uncomfortable, he lingered for a few moments before leaving. He did not want either of those weirdos behind him.

FORT AMARANTH
CORRIDOR

Deglarch ducked into an alcove when he heard the conference room doors open, then footsteps. No, not footsteps. High heels. A dashing looking Chiss woman went by, jet black hair shaved down to a buzz. What a sight to behold. Her eyes were glued ahead of her and she did not appear to notice Deglarch keeping out of sight, or Derrenger in a similar alcove. Or Grigori hiding behind Derrenger. Together the three men waited in silence as a second pair of footsteps went by, this time Felix.

As usual, the Arconan looked flinchy. He had always looked flinchy when out and about from his usual section of the Fort, but apparently the pressures of his new position were making him even more anxious. So much for grace under pressure. After another minute, Tytos himself walked by. Mercifully the Umbaran had been looking through his datapad as he went, otherwise he definitely would have seen the three lieutenants. Loitering, he would have called it.

After that there was no one, and the three resumed their hushed dialogue. “See? What having I been telling you?” Grigori said, poking Derrenger in earnest. “They are shuffling everybody! And then to be killing Eugene! Tut. Nasty business. Things are fish.”

“You dragged me out here to watch some blue broad walk out of a meeting?” Derrenger hissed.

“No, no! Felix was with them, didn’t you see? He has been taking Eugene’s job now. Very fish, he gets promotion and we don’t.”

Deglarch took a few steps forward and looked around the corner. The conference room door was still open, but it’d probably reflect poorly if he went snooping around. Besides, field work wasn’t all that bad… Pay wasn’t bad either. Plus he didn’t want to go the way of Eugene and explode. Instead he glanced back at Grigori and asked a more important question. “Why do you keep saying fish?”

“Oh,” said Grigori. “Is expression. Is meaning something, ah, wrong. Yes. Very suspicious.”

“You’re an idiot. Don’t bother me again,” Derrenger said, he turned to leave, only to freeze on the spot and give an alarmed snarl.

That got Deglarch to turn around, Grigori nearly jumped out of his skin. There stood some giant of a Weequay. In a suit. A Weequay in a suit, with pitch black sunglasses. Indoors? Could he even see? “There a problem here?” Mr. Shun asked. There was a long pause that ended when Derrenger bared his teeth and stormed past, apparently annoyed at having been dragged into this situation.

Grigori was slightly more forthcoming with an answer. “We were just, ah, going to the… Lunch place. You know.”

Mr. Shun didn’t stop Derrenger as he went past. “Cafeteria?”

“Ah… Yes. That is being the place. I go now. Let us be going, Deglarch.”

“Right,” Deglarch said, and both men creeped past Mr. Shun, wary that the Weequay would lash out at the last minute. He looked like a strong enough fellow, after all, and neither man had the slightest idea of how good in a fight he was. But Mr. Shun did nothing, merely turning his head to watch them as they went past. Or whatever passed for watching with shades like that.

Mr. Shun turned around completely to watch them leave. And he himself didn’t leave that hallway for another several minutes, waiting until their footsteps finally faded from his ears and the credits sequence began.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dvIzpWJfMQ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom