Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Frost Fang

Status
Not open for further replies.
FROST FANG
CiHCnrR.png
haVSXXq.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: A weapon for Kaida Taldir, since she’s a Cyromancer and all
Image Source: [xhttps://saberforge.com/products/copy-of-bastion-shoto] | [x]
Canon Link: Lightsaber Shotohttp://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_shoto
Primary Source: CryoBanhttp://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CryoBan | Cold Grenade | Baas’ Wisdom | Ostrine

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
Manufacturer: The Resistance
Affiliation: [member="Kaida Taldir"]
Model: Not Applicable
Modularity: No
Production: Unique
Material:
  • Lightsaber Components
  • Plas-Bonded Ostrine
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Classification: Lightsaber
Size: Small
Weight: Light
Overall Length: 60 Centimeters
Blade Length: 42 Centimeters

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Lightsaber: The weapon is beholden to the inherent weaknesses of standard Lightsabers and features the same components and features of one, with the exceptions noted below.
Strengths:
  • Super Cold: The blade of Frost Fang is cold, rather than hot due to using supercooled liquid helium and a Baas’ Wisdom Crystal in its construction. This is capable of doing severe tissue damage like a Lightsaber, as well as damaging electronics, and metals, however it does so by being cold to the touch rather than hot.
Weaknesses:
  • No Cutting Power: The Weapon cannot cut things as it does not melt through metal or flesh.
DESCRIPTION
Functioning off the same basic principles as a Lightsaber, Frost Fang utilizes most of the same parts. The Emitter, handle, power cell, and other miscellaneous items. The main differences are the thermal insulation to allow the weapon to be held, the plas-bonded ostrine canister which in the weapon which maintains the super-cooled compressed helium liquid which fills the containment field that comprises the blade of the weapon.

This liquid replaces the traditional plasma in a Lightsaber and is focused through a crystal, Baas’ Wisdom which is known for causing a Lightsaber to run cold rather than hot. The liquid is nearly two hundred seventy degrees below zero, causing flesh to freeze on contact rather than burn or melt. Metal is cooled so quickly all but the strongest or densest armors fracture and break from heavy blows and sustained contact, and even heavy metals can become brittle when exposed to the blade for prolonged periods of time. It is capable of freezing people within their armor given enough time and contact with the blade, turning men into frozen statues.

Much like how a lightsaber does not emit heat until it touches something, Frost Fang does not emit a chilling aura around itself when in normal use, only when the blade touches something does it begin to rapidly cool the object. Otherwise the weapon is identical to a Lightsaber, able to deflect blaster bolts, parry other lightsabers and the like. On the rare occasion the blade were to short out, the fluid within the blade itself would escape and be cast out. Its not enough to spill everywhere, but the small amount can serious injure a person doused in the liquid helium.

[member="Laira Darkhold"],

Cortosis. Since it acts much like a lightsaber, and uses all the components of a lightsaber, does Cortosis short it out like normal lightsabers, or are there other effects due to being a cold liquid, instead of heated plasma? A normal lightsaber blade "shorts out" and the plasma, after hitting the air, rapidly cools to become just your average gas. However, as a liquid, would this spill everywhere?

Laira Darkhold said:
Metal is cooled so quickly all but the strongest or densest armors fracture and break from heavy blows and sustained contact, and even heavy metals can become brittle when exposed to the blade for prolonged periods of time.
What would happen to metals that are naturally cold? Say Ostrine since you have it linked in your thread? Would the Ostrine be in otherwords, "Lightsaber resistant" due to the natural cold effects of it?

As well, what happens when this lightsaber clashes with another? Is there your average saber lock, or does one or the other Heat up, or cool down to cause one to short out, OR both to short out?

As for cortosis, yup it acts like a normal Lightsaber and so would be effected. Same with Paddle Beamers, sonic weapons, etc that effect lightsabers weird. For simplicities sake, I classified the weapon as a Lightsaber and didn't note that it would be exempt from any of a lightsaber's inherent weaknesses, but I think I'll make a quick note in the sub.

As for spilling/leakage when cortosis shorts out a blade I've actually never seen it referenced as unleashing the plasma which dissipates quickly in any of the source material I've read. If you've ever played with finite amounts of Liquid Nitrogen it doesn't stay mega-cold forever. It only takes a few degrees before it becomes gas again and is just a cold spot as the gas rapidly expands.

As for Ostrine edges, I mean, sure. I'd buy that they'd be resistant in this scenario against this particular weapon. I'm sure their would be other exceptions people could come up with or find.

[member="Auberon"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom