Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Friendly sparring session (private)

Reggie was training by himself in one of the training rooms, practicing his saber forms. The Padawan hadn't been training for too long, but he was hoping that someone else would come to the room to practice as well. Training alone was fine but having someone else there to help would be more effective, especially when it came to honing one's saber skills. He had learned that it was easier to practice with a sparring partner than without one, and couldn't gauge how much his technique had improved by himself.

Usually Reggie would ask someone to accompany him but today was just one of those days where the thought of doing so didn't cross his mind. It shouldn't be much of a problem though. In his mind, someone was bound to show up to train as well. There are others in the order who want to hone their skills, and hopefully one of them would stop by and be willing to spar with him a little. For the time being though, he continued to go through the motions and tried to catch any mistakes in his form.

[member="Lucius Alexandros"]

My style is still sloppy. Lucius thought, restlessly as he walked. I will never get a Master at this rate. Maybe choosing to train mostly by myself with only a few friends was a mistake...

I'm a social person anyway. I made an odd choice. It's been 4 years. Maybe I should stop focusing on my dueling and on my force abilities... He was walking at a brisk pace to his destination, so he lacked the freedom to shake his head without looking odd, though he did so mentally. I enjoy lightsaber dueling and training too much. I'll just continue as I am.

He reached his destination, the Training Area, and brushed past someone. He paid little attention except to quietly apologize without looking back. Taking a deep breath, he began to practice the sequence he had gone over in his head. A step there, a light cut there and....No, that makes me vulnerable. A power attack is bait. I lack overwhelming strength. I was mistaken, I should continue to focus on my speed. I had thought I could feel confident and focus on using the force to boost it, but I still do not feel it would compensate enough.

He continued pacing around the room, thinking of new sequences and moves, not paying much attention to the person he had brushed against just a little bit earlier.

As Reggie hoped, someone else had entered the room in order to train. The person that entered had brushed past him and prepared himself.

Reggie was about to interrupt his fellow Padawan but decided to take a moment to let the man do his own thing for a bit. Deactivating the training saber that he had picked up, Reggie put his hand on his chin and watched as the person went through a sequence. After performing the sequence, he watched as the young man paced around the room, looking as if he was thinking. This is when Reggie decided to ask the man for a sparring session.

"Hello there! Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you'd be willing to spar with me for a bit? We're both here to train after all."

Lucius was slightly startled and surprised when the person he had brushed through spoke to him. Still, he seemed rather friendly. His offer of a challenge was also somewhat exciting. Lucius liked this person already. A duel would be excellent for his calculations. This should be fun. He thought.

He smiled. "Sure! I would be happy to." He chirped cheerfully. "I'm Lucius by the way. I'm sorry, I don't remember names easily. What is your name?" He turned sideways, first foot in front of the other, his blade held in front of him. He had decided the best thing to do was to start off with a cautious advance and retreat style to analyze his opponent.

Reggie nodded at the Luciu's response, happy that he accepted the offer.

"Great! it's nice to meet you Lucius. My name is Reggie."

As he saw that his new sparring partner was getting into his stance, Reggie did the same. He gripped the hilt of his training saber and activated it, ready for their session to begin. He focused his mind on the match and made sure to watch his opponent carefully. Reggie wasn't one to strike first, preferring to see how his opponent would start the match. Gauging their fighting style is easier when on the defensive.

"Alright. Let's begin."

Lucius saw his opponent was not moving forward in an offensive posture. He must fight defensively then. Lucius calculated. The 2 circled each other for a moment. A beat. A straightforward aggressive approach won't work. Yet that's only a straightforward one....

In the blink of an eye, he rushed towards his enemy with a heavy one handed cut, yet this was a ruse. He knew he did not possess the strength to power through his opponent. After the feint, he thrust, and launched a series of rapid strikes aiming at multiple angles at his opponent's body, attempting to break away from the engagement before things got too heated, catching his breath.

When his opponent rushed towards him, Reggie went to block what seemed to be a heavy strike. However, it turned out that the strike was a feint, forcing Reggie to quickly jump back from the thrust that was coming at him. Without fail, his opponent began to strike rapidly, aiming at different different angles of his body. Reggie was able to deflect the assault and tried to counter with a horizontal strike, but his opponent disengaged too quickly for him to do so.

Seeing that Lucius was catching his breath, Reggie dashed in and swung his saber towards his opponents left shoulder. Then, he dropped back a bit and thrust his saber towards Lucius' chest.

Lucius was satisfied with his opponent so far, he had not gone down instantly. His opponent had also launched a counter, Lucius was lucky to have evaded the strike with his backstep. However when his opponent followed it up, Lucius sprung into action. His opponent seemed to have overestimated his exhaustion. He blocked the strike then was knocked slightly off balance when his opponent broke the lock and thrust. Instinctively, Lucius switched to his reverse Shien grip and batted the strike aside. Still, he was wary, so he quickly moved backwards, gathering his thoughts of his opponent's style. However he quickly realized his opponent may try to take advantage of this so he switched to a defensive position, his lightsaber still aimed downward, aiming to confuse his opponent with a hopefully unfamiliar tactic, prepared to switch back into a standard defensive stance if necessary, to stonewall a possible assault. He only needed a few seconds to calculate a plan of a long term strategy, as well as to analyze his own weaknesses in the engagement, to improve his style. He honestly thought he was a little sloppy. Still, he proved capable at least, so he was doing something right.

Reggie's attack wasn't as effective as he thought it would be, Lucius being able to not only block his initial strike, but was also able to bat his thrust away with ease and back away from him. Reggie noticed that that his opponents lightsaber held in an unorthodox way, which made him recognize that his opponent must be very skilled with handling a saber. The Shien grip wasn't something a person could switch to with such ease against an attack.

Reggie took a few steps towards his opponent, quickly thinking of how to get a hit on him. Deciding not to take too much time, Reggie ran towards his opponent and began a series of rapid attacks, trying to overwhelm his opponent. This wasn't something he would usually do but he was trying to force Lucius into a corner so that he had a better chance of striking his quick opponent.

As expected his opponent had taken the initiative to take advantage of the lapse. Batting aside the strikes, using his Shien grip to cover multiple angles of the body, he backstepped to gain some distance between him and his opponent. He quickly shifted back to the normal grip and held the blade in the Soresu ready position. He would use the time and energy his opponent to restore his own and bide time for an opportunity strike. Still, like most of his forms, his Soresu was still quite rough, and sloppy. He did possess a natural talent with it, however, so he hoped that would make up for his lack of experience-he was only a Jedi Initiate after all.

Yet again, Reggie's attacks were being deflected easily. His opponent was very skilled but Reggie was determined to get the advantage. When Lucius switched back to his normal grip and changed the position of his blade, Reggie stopped his assault. Soresu was the form that Reggie was looking to learn, so he knew the ready position for it. If he were to attack his opponent with same energy as before, all that would happen is the decline in his endurance.

A change of strategy was necessary here. If Lucius was a skilled Soresu practitioner, then Reggie wouldn't break through his defenses with the current skill he holds. Keeping this in mind, Reggie started rushing towards Lucius like before but instead of attacking when he got close, he jumped over his opponent using the force to achieve the feat. After landing behind his opponent, Reggie quickly turned and brought up his hand to push him with the force. Reggie was sure that if he attacked first, Lucius would be able to deflect his strike again. The only option that gave him a chance was using the force to try and push Lucius down. If Lucius defended against this, Reggie would have to reevaluate his opponents strengths.

Taking advantage of his lapse, the opponent rushed at Lucius, though oddly after quick hesitation. However he was caught by surprise by his opponent's sudden acrobatic maneuver. Lucius had a lightning-quick thought rush through his body. He's not stupid...He wouldn't be trying to power through my defense. Which means...

Lucius spun around and matched his opponent's push, using his blade to launch a couple cuts or thrusts at his opponent, but they were not at optimal ability since he had thought too slowly and he was too focused on matching the power of his opponent's force strike. He quickly began to consider using martial arts but immediately decided it would knock him off balance.

Reggie was taken aback when Lucius was able to counter his force push. It didn't show on his face, but Reggie was impressed. The attacks that came next were a worry for Reggie at first since he was left open for a short amount of time, but he was barely able to maneuver his way around them.

Reggie stopped trying to use the force to push his opponent and decided to increase the distance between the two a little more. He was starting to lose his endurance, realizing that he put too much effort on that last tactic of his. If he wouldn't have staked everything on that last move and conserved himself when acting it out, he would have a bit more energy to spare. It would be fatal if he continued pushing the assault without breaking through his opponents guard.

There wasn't much left up his sleeve. The longer this lasted, his effectiveness would decrease. Reggie pushed this aside though and took in a deep breath. He started to rush in on his target again, this time deactivating his training saber and performing a quick combat roll towards Lucius. When Reggie closed the distance and began to rise up from the roll, he activated his saber and went for a upward strike, hoping the momentum from the roll would be enough to break his opponents guard and provide a small opening. This would be dangerous to the user if performed with a real lightsaber and would leave him open if his opponent caught on. Not usually Reggie's style, but he was running out of options.

Lucius saw his opponent break his offense and immediately began to consider his opponent's next move. He was getting tired, but he had managed to conserve his energy using Makashi and Soresu, while his opponent had been rushing at him in a wild aggressive offense. He clearly had the advantage. His opponent seemed to be getting desperate. Lucius would have to-

His opponent rushed at him. Lucius initially prepared to defend but a blazing fast realization shot through his mind, almost as if the force was telling him this.
This is a feint.

He immediately moved out of the way and launched a wide sweeping strike at his opponent, aiming to finally end this conflict. As he did so, he noticed his opponent's acrobatic maneuver, and how he had barely evaded it.
He was notable impressed with the desperation tactic, but chastized him internally for using such a reckless tactic. Aggression and Speed were a core facet of Lucius's style, but normally, recklessness was uncalled for. Perhaps, however, his opponent had used one of the most reckless tactics possible to win, and Lucius was hit with the realization that it had very nearly worked. One millisecond later and Lucius would have lost.

As Reggie had risen up to strike, he was struck by the sweeping move Lucius had performed. Instead of fully rising up, the Padawan fell back to the ground, instinctively putting his hands where the saber had hit him. Of course, it was only a small shock since they were just training saber's. If this was a real battle though, Reggie's legs would have been cut off.

"So as we have witnessed today, aggression does not work for me."

Reggie whispered this to himself and laughed for a short time. The defeat was frustrating since it just showed him that his training wasn't enough, and he had to find what style he could truly shine with. However, frustration was soon replaced with gratefulness for getting the chance to test himself and being able to train with such an opponent. Reggie got up quickly and bowed towards Lucius.

"Thanks for sparring with me. You're very skilled! i'm surprised that I've never seen you before today honestly."

Exhausted, Lucius offered to help Reggie up with his hand but Reggie got up without it. He was surprised his switch to a Shii Cho technique had succeeded, as it was merely meant to catch his opponent off guard. He thought he had heard Reggie inaudibly mutter something, but dismissed it. He bowed.

"It was a good fight. I was very surprised I won. I guess even as an initiate I have skill." He stated, with false humility.

"Don't be surprised you won. As you said, you have skill. With more experience, you'll be able to sharpen your skills even more."

Reggie smiled, ignoring the lack of energy he actually had after the sparring.

"I'd definitely like to see how much you grow in knowledge and skill in the future. In the mean time though, Let me know if you ever need any help."

The Padawan started to stretch out, preparing to leave the room.

"It was nice meeting you Lucius. I have to get going but I hope we meet again soon."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom