Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Force barrier or Force shield?

Lilla Syrin

A great leap forward often requires first taking t
“You want that horny-monster instead? He’s throwin’ off a force field that’d stop a sandcrawler!”
―Gudb

Mei always believed that the best Jedi was one that was still alive. And he told anyone who was listening his views on the subject.

So, the Cerean Master continued Lilla’s training with the second stage of his simple plan to keep her in one piece. Once he was assured that she could defend herself against a saber, he continued the philosophy by teaching her to protect herself against most things that weren’t a saber.

“Good morning,” he said as Lilla arrived. She was unusually a few minutes early – no doubt her previous lesson had ended prematurely.

As if reafing his thoughts, Lilla gave her customary bow and then smiled. “A free period for study time. I was so far ahead of the class on astro-navigation that I was excused. I chose to spend the time in the library, researching classic saber duels.”

Mei returned the smile. Lilla wouldn’t know free time if it wore a Sith cloak and performed Force lightning on her. One day she would have to slow down, but for now she had so much catching up to do, he could not bring himself to tell her to relax.

“Good. I’m glad I could have been of some help. Now, back to the here and now. I shall begin your training on Force Barrier.”

Lilla Syrin

Lilla nodded, ready for his next question.

“So tell me, what do you know of the subject?”

Lilla recalled what she had learned in the library yesterday evening, plus what she’d gleaned from her Holocron. It seems Master Kenobi was adept at the discipline.

“Force barrier is sometimes known as Force shield and even Force war-shield. It can be used as an an offensive or defensive power. It is aligned neither with the light or dark sides of the Force.”

She wrinkled her nose as she dug deep to recall her studies. “In simple terms, you create a barrier or wall of Force energy around the intended target. It could be around yourself, or with practice, around someone else.”

“It is a basic application of the Force and varies by individual. It can appear as a shimmering, stasis field of Force energy, or sometimes be invisible. The barrier is capable of absorbing a wide variety of physical and energy attacks, depending on the capability of the user.”

“They have even been used to repel gasses and sound.” Lilla recalled Master Kenobi recounting the time he used this technique when a bounty hunter was firing at him with a sonic boom grenade launcher.

“It was first practiced by the Umbaran Shadow Assassins, the technique was later adopted by both Jedi and Sith. Once fully trainined, Force barriers can be deployed instinctively to the point of becoming a matter of reflex."

Mei sensed Lilla was going to provide a list of notable uses of Force barrier, so raised a hand to stop her. “Excellent research. But theory is of limited benefit on this occasion. This requires a practical touch.”

Lilla Syrin

Mei walked over to a bench and picked up a small box that was resting on the surface. Putting it on the floor in front of him, he sat down, cross-legged and indicated Lilla did the same.

“One of the challenges of learning this ability is the fear factor. To learn to put up a barrier, you have to learn to repel things. Things that would otherwise hit you.” Mei put his hand in the box and pulled out some sponge balls. “These won’t hurt and so are an ideal starting point.”

“The second is that our eyes deceive us, which I know I’ve said before. But moreover, they lead us to act in a way that is not conducive to learning. The moment you see a ball heading your way, you tense up – even if it is a soft one. Hence this.” Mei now took out a simple blindfold. “Pop this on.”

Lilla did so and felt oddly at ease straight away. She often meditated in the dark – she found it a perfect way to connect with the Force and so, without prompting, she found herself naturally sinking into a meditative state.

“In time, this needs to become instinctive, but for now, it’s a good way to learn the discipline.”

Mei allowed Lilla to relax further before he continued.

“As with any use of the Force, it begins with you connecting, which I sense you have already done. Next you need to imagine the Force is a barrier, stopping any harm coming to you. Then you have to push that barrier out of your body. Unless you are able to manipulate it, it will naturally form a sphere.”

Lilla concentrated on what Mei had said, but found the attention counter-productive. So she relaxed once more and simply told the Force what she wanted to happen. She imagined a suit of armour that covered her head to toe. She had no idea if it was working, but next she imagined this suit was being filled with air from the inside and so expanded to form a bubble – in this case a bubble of the Force.

“Good,” Mei said, which suggested to Lilla that she’d been successful.

As she awaited Mei’s next move, her Force Sense told her that a ball was being gently lobbed in her direction. This shifted her concentration and the Force barrier dissipated, allowing the ball to land softly on her nose.

Rubbing her nose more out of loss of pride than discomfort, Lilla sighed audibly before nodding. “I know, I know. Believe and multi-task.”

Lilla Syrin

The next time Mei threw a sponge ball, Lilla was able to keep the shield intact – at least for the collision. The sensation of repelling the ball was odd, and Lilla immediately dropped the barrier as a result.

“That’s quite normal,” said Mei, “It can take a little getting used to.”

By the end of the session, Lilla was able to keep the barrier up for a few minutes and without the blindfold.

Lilla Syrin

The following day, Mei progressed with the training. Initially he added multiple balls and then progressed to rubber balls before moving to ball-bearings.

The latter were gently thrown at first, and then progressed to a reasonable amount of force.

Satisfied Lilla could deal with simple projectiles, Mei produced a blaster – and a wicked grin.

“Your enemies will rarely attack you with soft sponge balls,” he said and set the blaster to stun mode. “The worst that can happen is a numbing sensation."

###​

Lilla’s eyes opened and for a few moments she’d forgotten where she was. Then she remembered.

“Sorry,” Mei said. “My finger slipped and I set the blaster to standard mode. Fortunately your barrier held firm for long enough to protect you. By the time I realised my mistake, you’d already blocked the blast.”

Lilla looked puzzled. “So why was I unconscious?”

Mei pointed up. “You deflected the blast up and it dislodged some of the ceiling. Which landed on your head. My mistake, but at least you know you can face a blaster. If only for a short while. And ideally outdoors!”

Lilla Syrin

As the days progressed, so did Lilla’s capabilities. Blaster bolts were now simple enough to block, and she also learned to deflect them some of the time in a direction she wanted.

Then she learned do keep out liquids and gasses, which were only different in the mind she found.

And finally she learned to project a barrier around someone else.

“This can be used to protect them or you. If they intend to do you harm, keeping them inside a bubble isn’t such a bad idea.” Satisfied he could teach her no more, Mei allowed her to practice by herself as he busied himself preparing for her next subject – Soresu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom