Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Campaign Footsteps In The Sand

Astos

A

WHO I AM, WHO I KNEW, ALL GONE - MY ONLY CLUE, A LIGHTSABER

NEAR THE VALLEY OF THE EREMITE; JAKKU

Jakku was an unforgiving world.

Sand, dunes, rocks. No real life, sandstorms and dangerous creatures. All for as far as the eye could see.

The fact there were sentients that inhabited the planet was a shock, because the environment was harsh and unforgiving, and anyone who lived on Jakku was either a survivor or a fool. Or someone desperate enough to be a scavenger. It was impressive the sheer amount of debris and hulks of starships that littered a portion of the planet, honestly, which had been witnessed from low orbit on arrival to Jakku proper. The pilot of the freighter had said they were Star Destroyers and all kinds of cruisers and capital ships, all from centuries past. It had been interesting to learn a little more, at any rate.

Still, the environment, when one stood on Jakku, was unlike anything else: Blazing heat. Skin-peeling sand winds. Difficult to find water supplies. Distant outposts.

"I may have made a mistake." The words were muttered through a thick wrapping of scarf, as a bundled humanoid shape trudged through the endless sand for miles and miles. "What am I doing? This is madness, right?"

Boots sank into the coarse surface with each step, as the sentient huffed and puffed in the evening dimness of the desert. Beneath the layers of protective fabric clothing was a young man, his name simply Astos, and - though he didn't know why, exactly - he was on a mission to find the Jedi. Some months ago, Astos had been a survivor of a star cruiser crash, which had killed thousands, with few who walked away; and of those that did, many were injured beyond help, while others were hospitalized for long periods of time, and given drastic bacta treatments to pull them back from the brink. Astos had suffered a severe head injury, a trauma, and once healed found his memories simply gone... and his only clue to anything, a lightsaber on his person.

"I wish I had had the credits to hire that speeder. Deciding to walk was a bad call, for sure, I don't have enough supplies for this."

Once Astos had procured passage to Jakku, he had arrived at a remote community called Niima Outpost. A home to scavengers, it was said, and to some who might help the amnesiac locate the Jedi, rumored to be out in the desert near the Valley of the Eremite. So, with what few credits he had left, Astos had gathered some protective clothing, water, food and a ride to the valley entrance... and some hours later, now, he was very aware of how bad things looked.

"Okay... I have to stop..." Astos huffed, as he sunk into the sand with his knees and keeled over. His hands pushed into the surface like his legs and boots, and he tried to calm down. "They said there... was a hermitage, some old place, not... far..."

Astos eased back onto his haunches and reached under the robes, to pull out a water sack. He gulped some of the liquid, which tasted like bliss after walking in the late afternoon desert, before he resisted the urge to drink more and put it back. He had been told to conserve water, at all costs. So he would. On the belt the amnesiac wore, was a small device with a cracked screen; and once it was held in hand, Astos looked at his coordinates in comparison to the location the scavengers had marked out:

"You'll find it around here, in the valley." They had said. "It's not much, there's some water and plants you can eat. But it's your best bet to find the Jedi... I guess."

The information had been worth the last of Astos' credits. And now, here he was, alone in the dimming evening of the Jakku desert, on a wander to locate some old living place to hopefully find Jedi...

"This was a mistake."

After several more moments of rest, Astos sighed and pushed to his feet. There was nothing for it, he had to keep going - what other choice did he have...?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Just over the horizon huh?" She demounted the speeder, stepping flat just outside what would have been the yard? -- it was hard to tell the boundaries on Jakku.

Huffing
, there was a mild translucent sheen across her forehead; prolonged exposure to the heat. Romi had actually never been to Quill's spot, she never got the chance before he disappeared and the Maw cut through the dunes in a swath of destruction. This place borderlined between discovery and nostalgia. At this point, she barely gave it any more thought.

She shuffled through barrels, old lockers and pieces of worn-down wood.

Initial observations produced nothing. She strolled through, slowly...at this point this place had been sitting here unattended to for a period of time she wasn't even sure of. Sauntering to the cadence of her boots crushing sand. "Alright..." she hit a pivot and spun, taking one more surface glance before hitting the main hub -- the sandstone structure.

Astos

Astos

A

SOUNDS ON THE WIND - AM I ALONE?

NEAR THE VALLEY OF THE EREMITE; JAKKU

One boot in front of the other.

Crunch, crunch, crunch, the sand relented to heel and sole and gave way to dragged steps. The residual heat from the day still made the ground warm, so Astos could only imagine how the desert might be during the day. He silently thanked the junker who had given him some direction, some knowledge, and suggested to avoid the heat of the day in the desert. If it was one thing Astos knew, it was that wherever he came from it wasn't a desert planet - he was exhausted, sweat covered his body and he swore his mind was playing tricks on him.

Was that a speeder... or just the wind?

There was no direction to Astos' movements. He walked the length of the valley, nothing more. He didn't know the exact location of what he sought, but there were no other options; either Astos found the dwelling, where a Jedi was rumored to have lived, and had a chance of maybe meeting him or another passerby... or he sat around Niima Outpost and wasted away, with no purpose, and a lightsaber as his only reminder of failure to try to discover his past.

"No. Forward," Astos muttered. "Always forward."

Despite no real gauge of what not remembering felt like, what Astos did know, was frustration; like when he looked into a mirror and didn't know himself, or when someone asked his name and he offered the one a medical officer had suggested, based on the doomed star cruiser. There was a deep rage that sat in Astos' stomach, anger at his circumstance, anger at himself for not remembering, but mainly anger at the fact he had survived to exist in the state he was to begin with...

"Always forward."

Nothing came of thinking like that. It didn't change anything. But, what could change something, perhaps everything, was locating the Jedi and asking them for help - help to recover himself, to heal his mind maybe, if that was even possible. Astos didn't know. He only had the lightsaber to go from, it was the only connection to anything since the crash, so there was a blind hope that it was some kind of key or string to follow. Because, if not... well, Astos didn't even want to think about it.

Huh? What's that?

Ahead, Astos' attention was caught by moving lights in the distance. He couldn't tell how far away they were - or what they belonged to - but the lights moved along the dip of the horizon at a speed faster than his walk or run. Much faster. Something, was out there near the valley, some kind of vehicle if he had to guess. Whoever it was, they were in the area, but still a distance away.

"Maybe scavengers? Stopping for the evening?" Astos frowned. There weren't really any scavenge spots around, the desert horizon was flat and uninterrupted by starship remains and debris. "Doesn't matter. Find the dwelling."

Astos kept walking, as he took another gulp of water, trudging onward...

JAKKU ENCLAVE NORTH; JAKKU

The small dwelling kind of just appeared.

One moment Astos was walking up a dune rise, then the next he was skimming down the other side... and there it was, the place was in front of him.

"Okay, good. Good." Astos muttered as he felt some relief. He loosened the fabric layers around his face, but was still bundled up for the cool desert weather. "Found it."

The young man pulled out the nav-com, the same one with the cracked screen, and double checked his position. It seemed to be the spot, but was a little off from the marker. Close enough, this had to be it, there was apparently nothing else around for miles. The building itself wasn't large, but there was a waterhole and some stringy plants around it - which Astos recalled the junker had mentioned - so it seemed to hold up to the description so far. Astos' eyes moved to the speeder, which was parked near the sandstone building, and--

Thum-thum-thummmm.

--suddenly two speeder bikes pulled up, with three sentients seated on them. They looked like scavengers, but a little rough in appearance, with some leather spikes and tattoos. One of the speeder bikes had some creature skull mounted on the front, and several blaster weapons in satchels on the rear engine panels.

"Uhh... hello?" Astos said slowly, as he looked between the trio. "I-is this your place?"

The largest one, a big reptile that Astos didn't know the species of, was the leader by the way it acted and barked a laugh and shook it's head. The other two seemed to be humanoid, but one had spikes on her head. They both held blasters now, while the larger alien spoke:

"Naw, we're just passin' through," The voice was gruff, yellow eyes intent on the young human. "Got a tip from a junker at Niima that some little punk was passin' through these parts..."

That wasn't good.

"So, what you carryin'? Salvage? Credits?"

"No, nothing like that," Astos blinked as he held out his hands. "Just a locator beacon and some supplies. Food, water."

"...and that?" The junker leader motioned with it's chin to the metallic hilt on Astos' hip and belt. "That a lightsaber? You a Jedi? So... don't move or you die, kid."

The other two junkers shifted, aimed the weapons at Astos, and were ready to pull triggers within seconds.

"Huh? No? I don't think I'm a Jedi? I... don't know how I got it?" Astos winced, as he glanced down. It was the truth, but probably sounded like a lie. "I was in a crash, I woke up and someone noticed it--"

"Shut up. Toss it over, it's ours now," The leader smirked. "You said it wasn't yours, right? You're no Jedi?"

"Y-yeah... I think so. I don't really remember anything right now, so." Astos began. He frowned. "Look, it's all I have, please take whatev--"

The reptile sighed.

"That thing's the only thing worth anything, kid. Hand it over. We're taking the crystal to market, your choice if it's dead or alive..."

"No, wait," Astos swallowed. "It's all I have--"

"Kill him. We'll take his speeder over there, too."

And, in response, Astos let out a shout and knew he was about to die - he even thought about trying to turn and run.

This is how it ends... wait, who's speeder is that?

But, the two junkers pulled the triggers on their blaster pistols, aimed squarely at Astos, and the human was in no position to protect himself... he was dead to rights!

Scrounging through through a crate of little odds and ends, she mostly found nothing of note -- Quill collected anything he remotely found interesting it seemed. This create seemed like junk he'd come across in the desert.

A shout -- Her head whipped up. It seemed close, and she sat there stuck for a moment to deduce whether she heard what she heard of the heat was getting to her. She went for back for the entrance, and could hear the ambiance of shuffling and heavy breath. She saw a body flee and the others take aim from the crack in the door.

She pulled her blaster pistol, kicked the wooden door in and let off clumsy rounds to draw their attention, "Back off!"

Causing a pause in conflict, she force them to go for cover. Her head whipped around for Astos "Are you alright?" She looked him over, spotted a lghtsaber, "You a Jedi?" She called out.

Before anything could come from it she heard a blaster round go off just above her head, her natural reaction was to duck to which she followed through with a roll out of range before ducking behind a pile of junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom