Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flies and Spiders

There was something comforting about making a bomb.

This was an opinion held by no one in the galaxy, with the exception of one Dresden Verbrennung. The former mercenary sat behind his desk, in a nondescript office in a little building that no one paid much attention to. The room was smallish, for an office, the walls bare save for a couple of shelves. There were a couple of cheap office chairs, a cheap prefab desk, and a filing cabinet. The only expensive items were a large, sturdy looking safe in the back of the room, behind the desk, and a very ​nice rifle propped up against the desk, within easy reach of the room's sole occupant.

The man behind the desk was tall. That much was evident, even though he was seated. His arms seemed overlong, his hands overlarge. His fingers were long, nimble. They were manipulating a ball of putty, into which were connected various wires, which were in turn hooked up to a circuit board. The putty looked an awful lot like detonite, but Dresden wasn't completely crazy. It was an inert lookalike he kept around to keep his hand in when not in the field. The real explosives were in the safe.

Okay, maybe he was a little crazy. The contents of the safe could level the building. Hell, the block.

The planet he was on didn't matter. From the First Order's perspective, it was a relatively unimportant ball of rock. Some industry, some agriculture, nothing major. It was worth keeping a presence on, but not so important to warrant a full occupation. Dresden had been assigned here as a minor chastisement for mouthing off to a superior.

It was a temporary assignment, enough to get the point across, but clearly not a permanent exile. He was supposed to cool his heels, think about his sins, and move on when his time was up. No loss in rank, he was still a Station Chief, but there wasn't much of a station here. A few operatives in the sector would report back to him on occasion. A technician monitored the mostly electronic surveillance assets. No one expected trouble here.

No one, except Station Chief Verbrennung, professional paranoiac.

As a matter of course, when taking over what was supposed to be an unimportant backwater, he had kicked the asses of all the agents under his supervision. They had become complacent, lulled into a false sense of security. Within a day, he had uncovered a number of shortcomings, had reported them up the chain, and kicked back as the heavy hand of God smacked them into the ground. The old station chief had been fired, the other agents either fired or demoted. New hands, less complacent, had been brought in.

In a few minutes, Dresden was to meet with one of them. He had never heard of her, which, for a man in his position, was unusual in and of itself. He knew things. That was sort of his shtick. The agent wouldn't have been here if she wasn't good at what she did, but she had no reputation. That was, in its own way, impressive.

Exactly why she had called this meeting, he had no clue. She had been reticent, unusually so, even for an FOSB Supervisory agent. That probably meant something important that she didn't want getting out.

Maybe this boring post would get exciting after all.

[member="The Major"]

That anonymity and nondescript nature was exactly her focus. The last few months within the FSOB had this woman traipsing to and from unit and service branch from seemingly impossible distances and speed. Even amongst the idiosyncratic members of the Security Bureau there was something specifically foreign and unwelcome about her presence. Some might take offense. Others, would resort to derision. For Sybil, it was all part of the job -or at least her loose interpretation of the job. It would be a complete fabrication if this proud looking woman were to say that the jabs at her character or competence didn’t leave a sour taste in her mouth. On the other hand she could understand why the worker drones of the First Order had that outlook. Most were bred and raised from birth to do their part. Read: follow the dogma.

Technically, Station Chief Verbrennung outranked the one “affectionately” referred to as the Major, or, that annoying freak that no-way-no-how earned that rank, or, that bloody re-education bantha licker, or, the Supreme Leader’s ugly thought police officer, or, that ****ing nerdy-looking four eyed *****. FSOB allowed for a lot of quirks, as long as it was in the name of that aforementioned Supreme Leader. Sybil entered, wearing what appeared to be the garb of Knight of Ren without the cloak or hood. She did not appear to be armed, although her strong form and tall stature implied that receiving a good steel toed kick from her leg to your the chest would be terribly unpleasant.

She tucked a loose flyaway of dark auburn hair beneath her officer cap, and proceeded to offer Dresden a firm handshake if he was so inclined to provide one.

His paranoia was legendary, or so at least others that gossiped said.

“Hallo, and good day.”

[member="Dresden Verbrennung"]

"Howdy," Dreden replied. "Please, sit."

The initial impression of the woman known as the Major was favorable. Of course, Major was an army rank, not FOSB, but you know what, he didn't much care. Idiosyncrasies were to be expected in the really good agents. That he'd not heard so much as a rumor proved that she was good. How good remained to be seen.

It was rare for anyone to be able to look the former merc in the eye. He was on the upper end of the bell curve for humans when it came to height, and she was right up there with him. Her outfit was eccentric, but the Ren getup guaranteed that no one would think twice. In a way, it was the ultimate disguise in these parts. No one wanted to cross the Ren. Granted, if one of them​ ran into her and she wasn't a Force sensitive, they might take issue, but that wasn't his problem. Dresden was about as Force sensitive as a sack of potatoes.

"So what brings you in today?" he asked. From a pouch on his belt came a rolling paper and a measure of loose tobacco. He quickly rolled one, then, remembering hospitality, rolled another and offered it wordlessly. If she smoked, the gesture would be clear. If not, well, it wouldn't go to waste. Dresden was something of a heavy smoker these days. Must be all the paperwork.

[member="The Major"]

"Oh, a very specific need brings me to your. . . temporary office."

The woman with rather spider movements takes up Dresden's offer of hospitality with a kind, though seemingly feigned, smile. One combat boot shod leg crosses the other before she produces a case for the large glasses resting low upon the bridge of her nose. From this case she equipped a small gray kerchief which she began to use to clean her glasses.

"Before we begin, are there any questions you have. Rumors I can clear up? I ask, because this operation will require trust -as much as two operatives of this branch can muster."

It surprised even Sybil how much more confident and stalwart she had become since gaining the assistance of a certain Shard like entity months ago. Every week that passed seemed to she her growing in strength and resolve. She could only hope the First Order could continuously keep up.

Dresden frowned, ever so slightly.

"Honestly, I've not picked up anything through the grapevine. But then again, I'm not exactly the most popular guy in the Bureau at the moment, so it doesn't really reach that far. All I really know, Major, is that you don't seem to exist. You've the proper papers, or you'd have been turned into a grease spot when you entered the building, but there's no official record of you at all."

The frown turned into an approving grin.

"Which tells me that you are extremely competent in some way or another. Either you've taken care to erase any mention of you in the FOSB records, which is impressive in and of itself, or you've made so little impression that no one really thought to document your existence. Either way, that's good stuff, as far as I'm concerned."

For someone as paranoid as Dresden to be comfortable with a complete stranger in the room might have been odd, unless you took into consideration the countermeasures he might have had in place. The lanky human was quite confident that, if something went wrong, he'd leave the room alive. He was also quite confident that, if she was as good as he thought she was, the Major would have considered that, and either had what she considered appropriate counter-countermeasures or no intent of causing harm.

Either way, his gut wasn't twigging to any real danger. If she wanted to kill him, Dresden had no doubt that the Major could make a good run at him, but he highly doubted she'd planned for the sort of countermeasures he ​thought of. There was the reason he was also on the FOSB's list of people to disappear in a hurry if he ever went rogue.

"Trust, I imagine, will take some time to build, but rest assured: if you're good at your job and don't try to stab me in the back, front, or anywhere else for that matter, we'll get along just fine."

[member="The Major"]

"Existence. . . Truly an interesting concept, but based upon comforting common psyche." Something about the idea caused her mouth to screw up in a fashion that would be uncomfortable for anyone stuck looking at it. "I think you'll find that once you let go of those little strings, you truly become free." The index finger of her right hand begins to massage the thumb of her left.

"What if I told you existence was little more than a matter of perspective. Reality, just as you know it, is little more than electrical signals sent to and from your brain. Now if you really wanted to get paranoid, imagine if someone could actively skew those signals in your gray matter. Wouldn't that be terrible?"

The Major's smile took an open shade of cheer, as though nothing more than sunshine and flowers flowed through her mind.

"But you're not here to talk existential philosophy. Nor am I here as some preamble to start inflicting wounds. I'm here to expand the scope of my mission within the Order.

"What about you?"

If [member="The Major"] was hoping Dresden would be unsettled, well, that was a tricky thing to pull off.

"I hit the off switch on those electrical signals for folks on a regular basis. Had my own switch jiggled more times than is probably safe for my sanity. I can believe it."

He matched her own smile with his own. Well, it was technically a smile. There was something about it that brought to mind the image of a shark, moments before it tore into a cute little seal. Maybe it was the cold, dead eyes that no expression ever truly seemed to reach. Long ago, those eyes had been vibrant, full of love and life. Now they had all the warmth and welcome of the barrel of a gun.

"Now, if what's you're hinting at is that you can alter folk's perceptions, then my​ mission is to figure out what I can do as a Station Chief to make the best use of that ability."

The grin widened just a bit as he spoke. The former mercenary looked the part of the oversized brute, and his laconic drawl reinforced that impression. He was, however, quite astute. When he wanted to be. Which was, basically, most of the time, these days. It was exhausting, but so was survival.

"Hah hah hah hah."

The Major's laughter sounded mirthless, lacking any kind of soul or effect on her features, and having the distinct impression of lead weights being dropped on the floor.

"That's what I like about this outfit: nothing surprises anyone here. Never ambushed; always vigilant."

She offers him a little, slow wink.

"I am, in fact, hinting at such a skill. I like you, Mr. Verbrennungk (may I call you Mr. V?). Unlike so many of the operatives in this unit, you seem to take everything as though it were -well, not a joke- but in a practiced manner. Nothing new under the galactic center, right?

"Tell me, have you ever heard of something called the white current?"

Dresden's grin turned ever so slightly wry.

"The name is​ a mouthful. I can live with that. Though, I wonder what I'm supposed to call you. 'Major' works as a title, but it's not much of a name, is it? If that's what you'd prefer I'll leave it at that, but a name would make things easier."

He was starting to see why [member="The Major"] might have been worried about rumors and the like. She was, in the common vernacular, creepy. Not that the former merc was bothered by creepy. He once worked with a guy who kept a collection of mouse pelts in his footlocker. How he managed to skin the little buggers in one piece was a mystery, but he was a damned good RTO, so most everyone left him alone.

But most agents hadn't been in a position where their lives depended on trusting a guy who could be found rubbing his fingers over a pelt and muttering about how soft it was in his bunk. They would fear what they couldn't understand, and this lady was definitely tipping the scale towards the ineffable. Well, Dresden wouldn't be himself if he didn't try to grab hold of the ineffable and see if it couldn't be effed after all.

"White current...I recall something about a tribe of Force users somewhere out in the hinterlands that used that term. Don't know much about them, to be honest, other than they were supposed to be tough customers if you pissed them off."

"Tough? Interesting. I never thought of my family as tough, but more. . . defensive. Elusive. And for good reason: people with good intentions and highly specific skills historically end up used, maligned, and discarded. It's always a risk to put yourself out there -to be swallowed up in politic and some mysterious, eldritch truth."

She pointed at him now.

"A tribe in the hinterlands. . . that's a perfect description. The 'Fallanassi.' That's what we call each other in our tongue. Incidentally, I grew up as a hunter next to a labyrinthine forest. One core belief of the tribe is that titles, and specifically names, don't matter. We use whatever we need at whatever given time. I can tell you a name, but would it mean anything? Why don't you give me one?"

A putrid, sardonic smile rips across her face.

"Now you know a lot about me, and that's the first basic rule of trust, isn't it? Why don't you tell me a little about yourself: where you come from, and what you are."

Now that​ got a raised eyebrow. Whether or not her story was true, or she was making it up on the fly, Dresden had never heard of a culture for which names were unimportant. Still, he was a flexible sort.

"Well, I do hate to interrupt a good theme. How about Miss S?"

There was definitely something of the spider about this woman, so it fit.

"My own story is not nearly so interesting. Grew up with a boring life on a boring world, so I joined up with a mercenary regiment. Saw the galaxy, shot holes plenty of it, then went and got myself married and widowed in under a year. Worked for the Republic before it went down, and now I work for the First Order. Because, for whatever flaws they might have, they are all about some order, and that's what the galaxy needs right about now."

[member="The Major"]

She looked pleased with his choice of name, and as if on cue, her fingers began to drum together with a subtle eloquence that gave a spidery impression. Dresden's reason for working within the FO made her eyes splay, as though he hit just the right mark.

"Exactly!" Her fingers snapped.​

"The galaxy is a lawless, exploitative place. People need protection to thrive, and thrive they shall under the banner of the First Order. And that's what brings me to this place: discussing how to improve the Security Bureau so that the Order can grow."

There was something insincere about the way she spoke. She hit all the right notes and had just the right amount of fire in her eyes, but... It wasn't anything Dresden could put his finger on, but if he had to take a guess, it was the zeal. [member="The Major"] didn't strike him as a zealot. Zealots tended not to last long in the field. The ability to put aside one's own prejudices and beliefs in order to get close to a target, or to blend in with a crowd, or, hell, not to get shot getting a cup of caf was vital. Zealots, seven times out of ten, gave themselves away under pressure. Yet here was a woman for whom the word "unflappable" took on a whole new meaning. She​ didn't know that the explosive device on his desk was inert.

Dresden's gut told him that Miss S was a world class actress, capable of sinking into any role she desired. That would fit with her remarks about being able to alter one's perceptions. He took that to mean some talent with illusion at first, but maybe that wasn't it. Or at least, not wholly it. The best illusions relied not on mystic powers, but on providing one with just enough clues to let them come to the desired conclusions themselves.

If he was right, and he usually was, the woman in front of him would be an incredible asset. And, potentially, a huge liability.

"Well, that's a conversation I'm certainly willing to have, but I feel I should mention that I'm probably not the best person to have it with. I'm not exactly popular in the halls of power, you see. My talents lay in the destructive, and that includes the egos of the high and mighty."

The woman sitting happily across from Dresden lost a tiny glimmer of her mirth. Momentarily confuted in purpose by his comment, the huntress considered if the station chief was concerned. Saying he was worried about his safety or her loyalty while within her presence was incorrect -this she knew. There was no reason for him to be intimated nor was she attempting such a feat. It wasn't nihilism that drove him to lack caution; it was a certain je ne sais quoi, or an ineffable grasp of realism. Pushing her purpose now too strongly was pointless: no one would believe it. Still, if everything was to work out in the Security Bureau's favor this had to work.

"That's the second time you hit the mark: in regards to 'the egos of the high and mighty.' The First Order is fraught with over blown egos. It's been the death of countless empires. From what little information there is on your operational history I can glean one poignant thing about you: you don't stand for arrogance. Not for long anyway."

Leaning forward, she paused to produce a small glass bottle filled with dark liquor. A round, grape like object floated within its contents. Rather than further drone on, she paused to let the administrative agent react and speak any counter or approval. If the verbiage worked, he would start talking and filling in the gaps. Preferably, she could craft this in a way that made it look like his idea -which is always the best when getting someone to do something specific for you. If it failed, then she supposed she would have to elucidate her plan to him.

An icy sliver of something very much like fear ran up Dresden's spine. It was a good thing this room was free of bugs. He saw to that, personally. The FOSB was a notoriously paranoid lot, and they liked to listen in on their field agents. Fortunately for both [member="The Major"] and Dresden, he mightily abused his reputation for being the most paranoid of the lot to keep any sort of recording devices out of his office. That didn't stop him from sweeping it regularly, or building a Faraday cage into the place, or using paint with a high conductive metal content for additional signal blockage, or from saturating the room with a low level EM field that interfered with listening devices, or...

Let's just say his countermeasures were extensive, and leave it at that.

The thoroughness had just paid dividends, big time. Because, to a properly paranoid sort, that sounded an awful lot like treason. Not that the former merc disagreed, necessarily. Egos and power went hand in hand. One rarely sought power for unselfish reasons, and one rarely retained it without an overdeveloped sense of one's worth as a person. That, however, wasn't unique to the First Order. Just about every government was infested with that sort of egotism, and that's why they rarely held together for longer than a few decades without external pressures to motivate the greedy bastards to work together.

"Why Miss S, I'm flattered," he said, not a trace of his momentary panic leaking into his voice or mien. Not, he suspected, that she wouldn't pick up on it anyway. He'd bet half his detonite that she was at least as observant as he was. "And to think my I thought my little foible had gone unnoticed."

There was a certain dryness to his tone, and he cast a meaningful glance towards the meager furnishings in the office.

"You wouldn't be bringing that up, or sitting here, for that matter, if you didn't have something specific in mind."

Despite his trepidation, Dresden found that he enjoyed the company of the strange woman. She reminded him of a blasting cap, in more ways than one. He figured she'd be useful, if used correctly, but dangerous if he dropped his guard for even an instant. She was also, he decided, waiting for something, what he didn't know, to set her off and fulfill her true purpose. That purpose was also a mystery, but hell, what in life wasn't?

It took a few beats for the one referred to as Miss S to access exactly what went wrong in her prompts. Even among her peers of the tribe, she was still considerably young, so one would expect for youth to be a limiting factor when it came to motivating outsiders. Still, she was intent on learning and perfecting speechcraft. One great thing was that visibly, there was nothing lethal to this encounter, so it was a great place to practice and try different things.

Uncorking the bottle, the woman deposits a straw -an extremely strange device for this modern era- into the liquid. She drinks a few slurps of the liquid, which caused her freckle splattered cheeks to tinge with just a bit of warmness. One could presume it was liquor.

"Very well. I intend to expand the Security Bureau's internal affairs division. In its current state it's nothing more than an assignment for career file pushers. The Supreme Leader himself is concerned with the different branches of this organization, and their capacity for cooperation. I.A would task itself with embedding agents in every level of the government, military, and even Ren. You may think with this explanation that I intend to slam you because of your reputation. Nonsense. No one in this room is a zealot."

Whatever was in that bottle, it wasn't alcohol. Dresden's nose wasn't as sharp as it once was, what with all the errant fireballs and propellant fumes, but he could recognize the chemical stench of fermentation from a mile away. He thought about asking, but, on second thought, he was pretty sure he didn't want to know the answer. What was one more mystery, after all?

"That's an admirable goal," he said when she finished speaking. "Internal Affairs has always been something of a cesspool for ass kissers and ne'er do wells looking to build their careers on the ashes of better men. I wouldn't mind seeing someone shake that tree just to see what sort of ugly falls out."

Dresden had worked with, and occasionally against, IA in many organizations. In his considered opinion, they were a bit like a hedgerow. Kept trimmed, they could be both beautiful and functional, the dividing line between order and disorder. Let run wild, IA was an eyesore, and a damned annoying one at that. The First Order's IA wasn't as bad as some, but it was still getting a little bit on the bushy side.

"So where do I fit into this? And, for that matter, where do you? Don't get me wrong, I heard what you said, but you're a ghost. Officially, you don't exist, You hold no rank, have no authority, you're not even on the payroll, as best as I can tell. I'm no slicer or super sleuth, but I've been around the block a time or two. What this tells me is that you're either working so deep in the black they've got to pump you down sunshine, you're the best con artist I've ever had the privilege of meeting, or both."

Though his words might have been harsh, taken at face value, there was something approaching admiration in Dresden's tone, and a tiny, almost imperceptible grin twisted the corners of his lips. He didn't know that he bought her story, or that he'd believe whatever came out of her mouth next, but one thing was for certain: she was good. A little rough around the edges, perhaps, but she had raw talent for days and a metaphorical set of balls that would clank when she walked, if they were to manifest physically. Whatever else might happen, the former mercenary had an inkling he was going to get along with [member="The Major"] just fine. Assuming, of course, she didn't try to kill him somehow.

"I've heard it said that actions define a person, more so than intent. Me wearing this. . ." She tapped a pin attached to her lapel, inscribed with FOSB insignia, and something only to be really worn with Fleet Admiral Rausgeber or the various specialist army units. ". . .is a result of necessity. I. . . need the First Order; for now, they need someone like me. It's so strange, Mr. V, but something about dealing with this organization gives me the queerest feeling of nostalgia. It's not only a purpose, but as though I'm. . . persisting on. I see the red banners, the star destroyers, and am filled a distinct pride.

"Make no mistake: despite the mystery, the vagueness, I can assure you I was actually recruited by an agent of the Security Bureau. It feels like so long ago now. . . There's a name somewhere, maybe even an exact title. But my job requires more ambivalence. When you paste everything to the limitations of reality it tends to incidentally limit what you can do. As for this being a con job. . .

"Truthfully, I haven't the lack of heart to be something so cynical."

Dresden wasn't entirely happy with that answer, but then again, he knew he was more paranoid than the average bear.

This was, essentially, a binary problem. Either she was lying, or she was telling the truth. There were various shades of grey in the middle, but they all amounted to the same thing.

If she was lying, the smart thing to do from his perspective was to send her away. Well, technically speaking, the smart thing to do was shoot her on the spot, but he wasn't counting on that being an option in the immediate future. This was almost certainly the best chance he'd get, but even a Station Chief would have some explaining to do if they shot someone in the face in their office on mere suspicions. Anyway, the smart thing to do would be to send her packing. But the smart thing for him wasn't necessarily the smart thing for the FOSB.

You didn't last long in the Bureau without a heaping helping of paranoia, but even among the naturally suspicious, the former mercenary was in a league of his own. He tried not to indulge in overconfidence when he could help it, but he knew he wasn't infallible. That said, if [member="The Major"] was even half as dangerous as he suspected she could be, she'd turn the average field station into her own personal plaything in about as long as it took for a nexus to bite the head off an antelope.

Which meant that the best place for her was right by his side.

And if she was telling the truth, well...

This could be huge. Dresden really wasn't all that fond of the egos that controlled the upper reaches of the Bureau. He really didn't like the way they put politics ahead of the good of the First Order. For a chance to take them down, or at least make them have to work harder to exploit the FO for personal gain? There was an awful lot he was willing to do.

A part of him wondered if he was just trying to justify making a choice that he was naturally inclined to make anyway. It was a valid point, but one he filed away for later. He could plan for that outcome.

"Okay, I think you can tentatively count me in. What is it you have in mind?"

Swimmingly, this was going swimmingly.​
W-w-w-won't you come? And wash away p-p-p-p-Rain?​
Not now, not now, not now, not now. Sybil takes a swing of the drink, and as the murk spreads it initially burning buzz upon her sinuses, the cold aftermath settles down nicely. It certainly was a calming, and ultimately enhancing brew. You couldn't price reassurance.

The Major had told Dresden that this wasn't a lie. And it wasn't.​
"Honestly?"
Her head cocked quizzically to its side. "It is a bit mundane to begin: we need subordinate agents that are neither zealots or paychecks-with-a-badge. A team designed to specifically follow some of the highest profile members of the First Order. Think bodyguards, mid tier officers, Force sensitives, and especially internal and external SIGINT personnel." Another gulp downed, the bottle was now halfway empty. "I'm not the best judge in character. I think you would be better suiting to interviewing and vetting such types."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom