Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private First Steps Into Combat

It appeared that fate favored him once again.

He had participated in a classroom with a former Sith Emperor. And now, he was to be trained by Kyyrk Kyyrk . Even Illian had heard of the Obsidian Lord. After the Cataclysm, he had been among the few that survived. Interestingly enough, it was also around this time that Illian had joined the Knights Obsidian. He had gained some knowledge, but the Squire knew that theoretical knowledge was nothing compared to practical experience. He would always value the knowledge a man who knew nothing gained in the battlefield, than to those that read the books of great generals.

And that was why he was here. Word had spread about a training session among the Squires. He had been among the first to hear it, and he was the first one to apply.

Arriving in a room as large as a library, he waited for him to arrive. He examined the weapons, feeling the smoothness of a phrik sword as he waited for the session to begin.

Last edited:

kobanner_1.png

T R A I N I N G
Voph had been away for some time. Nearly six months, to be exact. Where he had gone, no one knew. Rumors passed around that he was dead. The members of the Knights Obsidian knew better, he had clearly been present after the Cataclysm, and had given them new direction in the wake of this catastrophic event. And yet those outside their brotherhood still suspected that he had not survived the ordeal. After a while, even some of the Knights began to wonder.

But then one day, he had returned like nothing had happened. No explanation, no ceremony. Some half-expected him to reclaim his title as Lord Commander. But he declined. His time at the forefront was over. For now, he was content to assist the new Lord Commander Lechner in his duties until such a time as he was able to continue on his own. For now, that meant helping Lechner train the ever precious batch of recruits that had stumbled through their doors.

Voph strode into the training hall underneath Arx Obsidia, turning his attention to the sole occupant. A young squire by the name of Dragos, as Voph recalled. Voph was clad in his usual obsidian colored armor, though his helmet was noticeably absent. In place of his typical faceless mantle, a black strip of cloth rested over the sockets where eyes should have been. "Squire Dragos. My apologies for being late. My meeting with the Vylmiran Remnant was...longer than expected."

"Thank you for this opportunity."

In comparison to Kyyrk Kyyrk , Illian did not have any armor own; an attire of black clothes would be sufficient for now. At least, that was what he hoped for. Perhaps this encounter would teach him a lesson: that it was always good to have some form of armor own.

Illian considered how to approach the man. What he wished to relay to him. In comparison to those he considered rivals, he was far behind. A speck of dust among a vast plane of sand. On numerous ocassions, he had learned that honesty was the best policy. Hopefully, that would serve him well in this instance.

"Master Voph, I will be as straightforward as I need to be. I do not know much about the force. The data the Obsidians have on me should show this. More importantly, I do not know anything about combat. Unlike many that you have faced, I did not train from birth: I have only been here for a short while. Essentially, I am a walking target: I strongly desire for that to change. "

The squire moved to a handful of weapons that were here; vibro-blades, guns, training lightsabers, whatever he wanted, it was here. Illian went and grabbed a pair of phrik blades, longer than the knives he was used to, but their use was still the same.

"Teach me what you know. As much as I can recall in a class. I will be recording this if you do not mind. But perhaps, if your time is needed elsewhere, which is most likely the case, I wish to learn about lightsaber combat. Let me learn first hand what the Lord Commander can do."

Waiting for his response, he wondered if his challenge would be accepted.

Last edited:

kobanner_1.png

S T U D E N T
Voph had not even properly greeted the squire, and already the boy was asking him to teach him. Voph's brow lofted. The boy knew little of the Force, and yet he wanted to test himself against the Obsidian Lord. "Former, Lord Commander." Voph held up a finger as he made the clarification. He regarded the boy silently for a moment, his gaze focusing on the phrik swords he held. "I would not recommend your chosen course of action, but if you insist, I shall grant your request."

Voph turned and walked towards the center of the sparring area. Though he had not arrived with a lightsaber, a simple snap of the fingers and one appeared in his hand, summoned from the realms of the aether. Voph turned back to face Illian, and held his own blade at the ready. With a crackle of lightning, the blade hissed to life, the currents arcing up and down the length of the blade. Both hands gripped the blade tight as his feet slowly spread into a ready stance. "The choice is yours, Squire. If you wish to test yourself, then step forth."

The Epicanthix stood in silence as he heard Kyyrk Kyyrk 's response. As if he was second guessing himself, he closed his eyes. Touching the blade itself, his hands moved in a downward motion, Illian enjoying the blade itself. Looking at the former Lord Commander, he calmed his breathing, knowing full well a nervousness man was a dead man walking.

He first encircled Voph. Having first experienced the ferocity of force wielders first had, Illian was not unprepared in his engagement. He positioned himself in a manner that the light would be behind him, and in the direction he run, if he were to be thrown toward a wall, the specific materials in the wall would help cushion the impact his body would have had.

After all, where he had faced an Apprentice, he was facing a Master of the Arts. That was not being taken lightly.

Illian ran toward Voph, the youthful warrior closing the distance in such quick speed. As he approached the appropriate range of melee combat, the Squire motioned with his right hand to move in an upward diagonal motion from right to left specifically in his chest. His left hand appeared ready to strike, and to comb to his defense.

He could only hope that Voph would not use the force to aid him. If he did, then he would have already lost the fight before it began.

kobanner_1.png

T E S T
Voph remained motionless as the boy circled around him. Voph smiled softly as the boy decided to attack with the light at his back. But then he foolishly ran directly at Voph. This elicited movement, as Voph stepped and turn to face the boy fully. The first of Illian's swords was in motion. His left hand released its grip on his lightsaber, and drew aside to block the sword's blow with his forearm. In the same fluid motion, Voph's lightsaber extended out, coming precariously close to Illian's neck if not dealt with. Not enough to wound him, but there would be a bald patch.

Voph's precision had placed the blade exactly where he'd wanted it. Close enough to let Illian know what could have happened were this a real fight. But also not enough to punish him for his mistake. After all, this was a lesson. Voph had at least offered the boy a chance to test his reflexes. "If you intend to assault, do so. Take the momentum, and make it yours. Do not allow your opponent a moment's hesitation. For in that, you lose the battle."

To control a battle, one must be able to control the pace of the duel. Whether it is through a continuous attack, or excellent counter attacks, Illian firmly knew one of the two approaches had served countless people in personal exchanges. For him, he preferred to be to be the initiator of the fight. It allowed him to set the pace of the duel, and he would be doing so here.

Footwork was extremely important. When he had self-taught himself how to use vibroblades, he knew that his own natural speed and footwork were paramount in ensuring a stable defense. Drills where he practiced his movement were beginning to be part of his muscle memory. And he would show it here, at least if Kyyrk Kyyrk did not destroy him.

The young warrior had intended to have followed his attack with something else. But he had not gotten what he wished. However such thoughts were in the very depths of his mind, Illian already pivoting as soon as the Lord Commander attacked him, his right hand attempting to conduct a thrust to his neck.

Pivoting his left foot, he saw the Lord of Blades moving, but he once again pivoted. Now, he stood at Voph's back. And his back was ripe for some slashing.

Once more, he attempted this strike. Hoping to remove some time of reaction by attacking his center mass(his back), the warrior stroke at Voph's back once more, attempting a diagonal attack, still on his right hand, but from his left side to his right side.

His other sword however strove to in a sweeping motion strike the dark-sider's legs.

kobanner_1.png

T E S T
The boy was quick. That was good. One moment, Voph was placing a warning strike next to the boy's neck, the next minute the boy was behind him swinging at his back and legs simultaneously. Voph dipped forward, bringing his torso low to avoid the strike to his back. As he did this, his right foot twisted on the ground, and his left came up to deliver a powerful kick aimed at the boy's wrist. A sword strike would be ineffective if one were to suddenly not be holding a sword.

Voph turned as his foot withdrew back to him so that he was once again facing Illian. "Speed and Agility are your allies. Use them. Energy is everything in a fight. Do not expend it upon blocks when you could expend it on strikes." As he spoke, he brought his lightsaber around in the same arc he had spun, traveling wide towards Illian's left tricep. It was a highly obvious attack. Almost too obvious...

Impressed by the Lord Commander's counter, his mind already began to move as soon as Kyyrk Kyyrk had kneeled. In this dance, Voph was trying to take the lead; Illian couldn't have that, otherwise he'd lose the battle.

Seeing Voph attempt a spinning kick, the brief moments of Voph kneeling and attempting a spinning allowed Illian to reposition himself. Using his footwork, he moved back, intending to use Voph's momentum to his own advantage. Illian then attempted to grab his leg and put it in a lock, between his armpit and his upper shoulder.

Illian then jumped up, attempting to cross his legs between what he hoped was a captured leg locked on his shoulder. He would attempt a lock specifically on his feet, putting slightly to his right to apply more pressure as he attempted to twist his knee in as much pain as possible, cautious of Voph's strength, but confident in his ability to match it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom