Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First PvP/Skirmish on SWRP - Advice Please!

Hello Everyone!
I know this might be a stupid topic, but I feel the need to ask for some help. As I don't wish to be seen as a powergamer or anything of the like I feel the need to ask for some advice on the matter of my first actual experiencing facing of against other SWRP Members. Are there any tips or tricks you guys can give me to not seem like a total poodoohead? I have a few questions already in mind about general etiquette and such, so if anyone could answer even just one of these i'd be grateful:
- How much should I put in one post? What would be considered too much action or too little action when facing off against someone?

- Should I contact the person I happen to get into an altercation with through PM if there's a misunderstanding on an action or something of that nature? Or should I stick strictly to the thread?

- Should I be going in with lethal intent, and will others be going in with lethal intent? Or is it more of a relaxed atmosphere where I may injure someone, but I wouldn't go for the killing blow and vice versa?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any feedback! :D

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
Kyber Salurra said:
- How much should I put in one post? What would be considered too much action or too little action when facing off against someone?
Play it by ear mostly, but a good idea to keep in mind is to take one defensive action to counter your opponent's offensive action (or just take the hit) and then usually one 'trick' plus an offensive action. If you write too many actions in one post, it can get confusing and too much for your opponent to want to answer.

Don't automatically write that you hit someone unless they allow it. Also, gauge your actions by how difficult they would be to perform. Writing yourself using some super duper ultra powerful Force monstrosity in one post will no doubt disinterest your opponent in writing with you.

Kyber Salurra said:
- Should I contact the person I happen to get into an altercation with through PM if there's a misunderstanding on an action or something of that nature? Or should I stick strictly to the thread?
Yes. Please contact them unless it's just a negligible blunder. But usually contact them if there is a misunderstanding. If you can't get along with them, ask someone else to talk to them for you.

Kyber Salurra said:
- Should I be going in with lethal intent, and will others be going in with lethal intent? Or is it more of a relaxed atmosphere where I may injure someone, but I wouldn't go for the killing blow and vice versa?
Go in with as much lethal intent as you want. Just keep in mind that the odds of another writer accepting character death are super slim, so respect that and don't go for the kill if they are hesitant. You can try to injure them all you want, but be courteous about it. If you find yourself simply dominating them, perhaps you need to take a step back and let them.

Personally, I don't write PVP with opponents who won't take hits. Even if I'm writing some measly Padawan versus a super bad Sith Lord (practically a guaranteed loss for the Paddy), I expect to get at least one hit before I am defeated. Losing is great story for anyone. (Why bother if there's no challenge?) But it's simply no fun to fight an invincible player, no matter how indestructible their armor is.

PVP is competitive and can be unpredictable. But when it comes to how you write it, it's all just common courtesy, really. :)

Thank you [member="Beowoof"] ! That was extremely helpful! I just have one more question referring to what you stated;

The player chooses their character's death? Meaning there's no forced death? And if that's true, and someone was in a situation where their character would die yet they choose not to, how would someone write that off without sounding OP? Would they PM the person asking to let them go, or?

Rapax

R
[member="Kyber Salurra"] depends on the situation and the character's powers and abilities if theyll survive or not

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
Kyber Salurra said:
Thank you [member="Beowoof"] ! That was extremely helpful! I just have one more question referring to what you stated;

The player chooses their character's death? Meaning there's no forced death? And if that's true, and someone was in a situation where their character would die yet they choose not to, how would someone write that off without sounding OP? Would they PM the person asking to let them go, or?
According to the site rules, you cannot kill another person's character without their permission. So, yes, there is no forced death.

It comes down to communication. If the other player does not want to kill their character, make up some event that happens, or perhaps let them accomplish a distraction of some sort so they can get away. Maybe even bring in a 'sacrifice' NPC. If you're defeated, take the loss. But you're never required to off your character.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Kyber Salurra said:
You've got options,

• 1. The Edit Button: Work with your partner to move the battle in a new direction. Maybe even go back a step or two. Thus avoiding the insta-death situation. You'd be surprised how accommodating people can be.
  • 2. Handwavium: Sometimes you just have to claim *handwavium*. Like having the floor suddenly open up beneath your character or having a wall spontaneously fall on you. Also, if you can break line-of-sight? Even momentarily? Then you can just claim, *smokebomb* and withdraw from the fight completely. Easy out. The other guy just shrugs and takes the match.
And try not to worry too much. 99% of writers on the board will accepted your character as "exhausted and bleeding" over "dead and disintegrated" any day. That's how you create good foils, nemeses, and rematches. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom