Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Order; First Steps

Bastion.jpg

The Bastion of Ren
Virgillia, Outer Rim

Connor Harrison was now a Disciple of Ren.

Basically, from Master down to Acolyte. Slow steps, but they were steps forward and not back.

One of the inspiring First Order Fortress on Virgillia, built into the earth almost and housing training and research development. That was his venue today. Dusk was closing over the mysterious world, and he had some time alone to get his bearings, investigate places that would become his second home and meet new faces.

He knew three Ren; Ara, Kaalia and the mysterious Talon Ren. It was a start, and that was more than he had a week ago.

He took in everything. The views outside that he saw coming in and the architecture inside. A few First Order military types and civilians here working in serving their Order. Stormtroopers were now allies. The Dark Side was his ally. It felt good. It felt exciting.

Connor took a slow walk through the magnificent entrance in what looked like a training wing. Melee and weapon combat halls, gyms and pools, assault courses, rifle ranges. He was distracted by each room and each new face he came across, like a sponge absorbing it all to understand and respect the Order he now served.

[member="Ara Ren"]

moving_floor_richmond.jpg

The tranquility of dusk was the perfect time for a disciple to find a moment to herself for a bit of training. The room she'd reserved for herself was one of her favorites, built deep within the rock of the mountain temple itself, the walls dripped with moisture, each movement and sound amplified by the stone walls. Off to one side of the room was a man-made pool, perfectly square in it's design, barely a few feet deep, but enough for her purposes. The rest of the room was flat, different sized rings carved deep into the surface, expanding outward. Alcoves cut into the far wall acted as seating if needed or a place to store training droids.

The Disciple stood off to one side of the pool, hair pulled away from her face in a high ponytail. Her usual flashy clothing traded for a simple set of black pants, shirt, and boots, the rest of the training robes folded neatly in one of the alcoves, her saber resting on top of the pile.

A simple piece of black silk was tied around her eyes, robbing her of the chance to see of her own accord. Not that her own vision was much use down here, the low-lighting in the room ensured that shadows and hazy outlines was the extent to her sight and it was one more reason to enjoy using this particular area. If she was going to train, she would push herself, work with her weaknesses, not against them.

Standing with her back to the door, she stepped forward, the toes of her boots hanging over the edge of the shallow pool, the rest of her perfectly centered on the solid ground. She paused for a moment, clearing her mind and connecting with the Force. Sending her awareness out, Ara built a mental map of the force auras around her. Her fellow disciples ad even a few Knights of Ren milled about the training area deep in the heart of the Bastion. Some, like her, were practicing their skills with the Force, their auras shining brighter than the others. Most were simply working on basic sparring techniques, some with a partner, others without. Her mental map filled out, forming a 360-degree view of her surroundings for a little more than ten meters in all directions.

Today's session was as much about concentration as it was balance.

Smiling softly, she turned to the left and took a step forward, the edge of her shoe aligned perfectly with the pool. Another step forward and she repeated the same move, keeping her body straight and her feet perilously close to the water beside her.

Continuing her path around the pool, she stopped inches away from the wall in front of her, raising a hand and resting it against the cool stone in triumph.

[member="Connor Harrison"]

He followed a unit of troopers walking right down the middle of the Bastion with his head, walking right past him in perfect unison. Nodding in approval, Connor continued walking through, feeling all the life-forces around him, above and below. He shouldn’t have come here alone without knowing where anything was or who key players were, but right now he was doing what did best – explore and investigate.

Training was what he really wanted. It was time to start building himself up, from Disciple, to Knight, to Master. Back where he belonged. To lead others and to protect those who needed their Order, and he could take the fight to the enemies of the Dark Side.

While Talon had said the Ren didn’t fight, Connor knew they did. Everyone had to fight to enforce their law and code and protect their values and assets. He never played by the rules totally.

Walking through a cavern that seemed to be cut more into the mountain with rooms on both sides and the sound of running water overhead and below, he glanced in various rooms as he passed. Some were empty, which was good, and some occupied with one or two figures conversing, meditating, doing exercise.

Passing one, he stopped in mid step, and reversed up. Holding the stone frame, he craned his head into the room at the familiar sight of that figure and that aura. She was blindfolded, traversing the edge of a shallow pool.

Leaning on the frame and not hiding his smile, Connor watched her work her senses. It was nice seeing her again. The room was coolly lit and ventilated, and it was nothing but relaxing.

"Now, concentrate. Don’t let anything distract you.”

[member="Ara Ren"]

Sometime between the half-way mark and the end of her path, a familiar aura added itself to the mix and stopped a few yards away. It had only been a matter of time before the two disciples ran into each other now that he'd been accepted into their Order. She was neither surprised, nor distracted, when his voice broke through the silence of the chamber, as she assumed was his intent.

"What kind of distraction would that be, hmm? An unexpected, and uninvited visitor, such as yourself?"

With an easy thought, the blindfold pulled away from her eyes and floated to her waiting hand, another skill she worked with daily. She turned and met his gaze, one eyebrow raised and a bemused smile across her face.

"Good evening, Connor."

She chuckled and stepped away from the wall and the pool, tucking the blindfold in her pocket. The mental map faded from her mind and she let it, content to give herself a short break with the arrival of her unexpected guest.

"Do you often make a habit of interrupting a private training session? Or am I just that lucky?"

With a confused look, he turned to the passageway from whence he came, looking back at Ara and tapped his chest.

"Me? A private session? My dear I was simply walking back and caught you here and wanted to say hello. And the door was open. So not that private.”

Pushing off the frame, he took a few steps into the room and looked around at the set-up, nodding to himself.

"This is some place. The whole location, I mean. It’s remarkable. I didn’t even know this place existed until yesterday and I had to come look for myself. I’ve got to make a start somewhere.” He shot a look to the fellow Disciple. "And no, I didn’t know you were here.”

Swirling his hand at the water, a small vortex began under the surface and rippled the water for a few seconds, and that made him smile a little. Small steps.

"So how long have you been here? I’m not disturbing you am I? Good. In that case you should give me a guided tour.”

[member="Ara Ren"]

She cast a glance to the decidedly open doorway and raised an eyebrow, arms crossed over her chest. She shook her head and chose not to comment on the relative privacy of an occupied training room, instead crossing the alcove that held her clothing and saber.

"That is the point, the rest of the world not knowing where we operate from."

Using the term we in regards to the knights of Ren was strange to her. Their last few encounters had been a game of tug of war, between the now-disciple seeking information and Ara guarding it closely, both knowing that the other was better informed than they appeared. The dichotomy shift between then and now was no small thing. A change in tone and relationship they would both have to get used to.

She eyed the small vortex in the water as he conjured it, one side of her mouth quirking into a grin.

"No one likes a show-off, darling"

She chuckled as she parroted his own words back to him, words from the first time they'd met, almost a week ago. She paused, shrugging on the black and red robes, as she considered the change that a few days had brought.

"How long have I been in this room? An hour or so. Or were you asking about Virgillia? A month or so."

There was no point hiding information from him now. They were part of the same unit and would have to work together. She settled her cloak on her shoulders and clipped the saber hilt to her belt, turning to face him. Pulling her hair down from it's ponytail she sighed happily as it cascaded over her shoulders.

She shook her head at his boldness and smiled.

"I assume I don't have a choice in the latter, as I have a feeling you'll pester me until I do."

Her tone was light and teasing, he could be persistent and she hand no real reason to decline anyways.

His face didn’t change from when he finished talking to when she did, keeping that simple look of content and mild-amusement there at her witty repartee.

"You always have a choice. Darling.”

Sweeping his hand for her to leave, he actually felt a little bad tearing her away from her training.

"And yes, I meant in this room. Look, I didn’t mean to disturb you, genuinely. How about we do some training after. Since I need to get myself back into the old frame of thinking, and as we are going to be allies now, it may be good.”

He looked at her in those robes. They did nothing but compliment her. Even her face-mask she wore before meeting her Master made her look good.

"It feels strange, now being part of another Order. And one on the opposite side to all I’ve known. The first day syndrome strikes – not knowing where to be and when, who to talk to, how to act. I’ve not felt so alone in a long time, and it’s scary.”

He questioned himself the second he finished talking, shaking his head in mild embarrassment.

"And that was far too much information there.”

[member="Ara Ren"]

Ara smiled wickedly at him as she started to leave, slowing enough that he could catch up and fall in step with her.

”In a hurry to get your ass handed to you again? Deal.”

There last sparring match had been a tie in truth, but she wasn’t one to let a little thing like the truth get in the way of her teasing. She had to admit, he had a point, they were to be allies now and training together could only mean they would both grow stronger. Besides, it was inevitable that they’d end up working together in the field, this would ensure that they would work well together.

She knew he watched as she walked, adding an extra swaagger to her steps for his benefit. She listened while he talked, steering them away from the training areas and deeper into the Bastion itself.

”I wouldn’t suggest sharing that information with just anyone, Mr. Harrison. You never know who might be looking to use it against you.”

She glanced at him side-long, a steely gaze that was slightly reproachful. Not for the first time she wondered at his trust. Both he and Kaalia had a propensity to trust her with information she’d never dare tell a near stranger. Maybe it was the difference in their upbringings, but Ara could hardly imagine admitting to feeling alone, much less being scared because of it. Connor no doubt had made many enemies, a few within the order itself possibly, and joining their cause hardly erased past deeds.

She shook her head and smiled again, tone light again.

”Is there anywhere in particular you’d like to start? This is a rather large fortress.”

She raised an eyebrow in question, her footsteps echoing quietly on the stone pathways. She all but ignored the other presences around them, content to pay attention to the company beside her and their path.

She had a point, and again it was a bad habit to break. Showing weakness or uncertainty so soon was not going to get him anywhere fast.

"I know, forget that. See? It’s exactly that – talking without thinking because everyone and anyone seemed to just question me and work out exactly what I was doing. No more.”

He steeled himself, looking around to get into the mind-set of a Ren, of the First Order and of belonging.

"I’ll explore in-depth in future, so anywhere you feel is important I’ll take for now as you must know the key areas. I’d love to see just what the Ren stand for and their resources. Do you have an armoury or anything?”

He didn’t mention his fascination with the vocal mask or the need for his own lightsaber just yet, but it was there. And she made them look so good, he just had to have one.

[member="Ara Ren"]

Ara nodded thoughtfully, unsurprised that he would inquire about their armaments first. She changed their course, heading deeper into the heart of the fortress. She ran a hand along the wall idly, hoping he wouldn't question her reasons. As they descended a few levels, the light waned, less need for lighting due to infrequent traffic. At this point, the Hapan disciple was nearly blind, their footsteps and the light touch on the wall being the only guide she had.

She had only been down this far once, having been rebuked by an overzealous guard, untrusting of the Disciple's motive of curiosity.

"The armory here is expansive, but other than guiding you to the entrance itself, I'm afraid we don't have the necessary qualifications to enter."

She smiled ruefully at him as they turned a corner and came to a well-lit vault entrance. The security post was staffed by a minimum of two troopers and a captain at all times, their sole purpose to keep the dangerous weapons within out of inexperienced hands. The security detail came to life as they approached, Ara holding up her hands in front of her.

"I'm just showing the new recruit around." She smiled charmingly, her soft tone and expression putting the guards slightly at ease, although she could feel the weight of their gaze through the dark visors of their helmets.

Turning to her companion, she placed a hand on his arm, quickly reversing and moving them back the way they came. She had no desire to get into an argument with the security today, merely showing him the location was enough for now.

"We have smaller rooms throughout the fortress that we are allowed to access as needed. Only the Knights have full clearance for the vault."

She nodded back at the entrance that rapidly disappeared behind them. They walked in silence for a few moments, ascending to the familiar corridor of the training level. Beyond the private training rooms, one of which she'd been utilizing, was a small armory staffed by a single trooper. The room held a collection of basic slug-throwers, training sabers, and armor for their use.

"Anything I have needed, my master has supplied."

He felt like he had when joining the Jedi - up to no good, sneaking around and trying to get to forbidden areas. It was sickening for him to be so low in the pecking order...but then, this wasn't the Jedi. This was a whole new place on the Force spectrum, and he was nothing more than the fresh meat in their ranks.

Connor smiled, acknowledged, nodded and moved as directed, being inches from the main armory but respecting the troopers. It was an amusing situation and glad he was with Ara and not himself; who knows what he'd say or do or try.

"Thank you, and not that all makes sense.”

Watching her as they walked, more questions seeped into his mind as he continued to take in their surroundings.

"That's a point. A Master. How do I go about finding one to take me forward? I won't go on about my former days, but I assume the ascension is similar and the protective bubble of Master and Apprentice remains? I take it I need to pick a number and wait or something?”

Walking into the small room equipped with the weapons and tools, he walked slowly around, hands clasped behind his back to show no intention of touching, and looked at the various makes and models and pictured himself as a fully fledged Master one day.

[member="Ara Ren"]

Ara watched as he walked the room, an amused smile on her face. The trooper beside her also kept watch, but was far more relaxed than the vault's security detail. The weaponry in this rom was meant to be used, even by Disciples.

"You are allowed to touch these, they are for training after all."

She chuckled and picked up a training saber from the collection, tossing it to him without warning. She pondered his question about a master. In truth, she wasn't sure how one went about it. Her second day at the Bastion had found a summons in her room and a master waiting for her in the main hall of the citadel. She supposed Samka or Ilsa had arranged for a meeting with the mysterious Talon Ren on her behalf, but it could equally have been anyone else. She doubted their shadowy and elusive Supreme Leader had deigned to worry about a lowly disciple from Coruscant.

The thought that this was another test for the ex-Jedi crossed her mind. He had far more to prove than she ever did. Perhaps the Knights of Ren wished to see how the man dealt with this challenge he faced. Would he be brave enough to seek them out on his own or would he flounder in the lack of direction.

"I found a summons and a master waiting for me on my second day. I can only assume they expect you to find your own way." She eyed him speculatively. "Perhaps they wish to see if you are too confident in your own skills to seek out a Master of your own."

Ara shrugged and picked a saber of her own, a blade with a cross-guard, something she was unfamiliar with. It was bulky and difficult to hold, let alone wield one handed. Shaking her head she set the hilt back down, content to continue using the curved hilt attached to her hip.

"You can continue training on your own or approach the knights yourself. That decision is wholly yours."

Ara's movement helped Connor ready his right hand and he turned as she threw, and caught the hilt in his palm with a satisfying smack.

"No, that makes sense. I will seek them out myself. After all, why wait for something when you have to go and get it yourself.”

He wandered over to where she had been messing with the hilts and inspected the cross-guarded one. He took it in his hand, noting the bulk of it and the way it was designed primarily for two handed combat.

"A cross-guard? This is a bit primitive isn't it?”

Looking at the normal hilt in his left and cross-guard in right, he was tempted to favour the new one. Nodding to himself, he kept hold of both.

"I take it I can borrow both?” He grinned at her and raised his brow. "Always wondered how the cross-guard felt.”

Connor poked his head out, and walked into the passageway.

[member="Ara Ren"]

She shook her head as he called the weapon primitive. Apparently he'd never had to deal with an opponent wielding a cross-guarded saber. Three blades instead of one was a daunting prospect even for the most experienced. She had yet to have first-hand experience with the blade but the disciple had a feeling she was about it.

When the trooper didn't stop the man from leaving with both hilts, she assumed that meant yes.

"Where are you-"

She frowned and followed him out of the room and into the corridor.

"-going?"

She debated lecturing him on the rudeness of walking away from one's guide without warning but chose to let it go. Following him silently with one eyebrow raised in curiosity.

Shaking the hilts gently in each hand, he turned to Ara who followed.

"Nowhere, I'm just moving on.”

He turned back next to her and had another question.

"So what, and rather how, do you Ren operate? Talon said it's more of a mystery how we work in public. Are they sort of like Shadows? Special Forces? In and out without making a sound sort of thing? I'm a little confused as to how you would go about an operation. And the mask thing,” he nodded to her face, "is that optional?”

[member="Ara Ren"]

As he shook the hilts at her, she rolled her eyes dramatically and followed him at her usual pace, a few steps back. He could continue wandering on his own, ahead of her, or slow down. She wasn't going to scramble to catch up with his long strides.

"That sort of thing, I suppose."

She noted the flipping from us to them and back. He probably hadn't reconciled the fact that he was now one of them in his own mind yet, not completely. It was only to be expected. After all, his introduction had been very different from her own.

She had had to prove herself by capturing, and killing, a common criminal from the slums as well as avoid the authorities to get to the spaceport. She had blood on her hands because of the Ren and that simple act had solidified her past from her present. Connor...he had offered an oath of loyalty to them, but until he bled or spilled blood for them, they were just words.

"As you've experienced for yourself, our existence isn't common knowledge, not even among those of the First Order. Only those in the highest of positions knows of our existence. And of course the military. We work along side them often enough that they need to respect our presence and abilities."

She chuckled as he mentioned the masks. Was he hoping for an affirmative answer or did he dislike the idea of hiding his identity? Would the he be content in his role as a shadow or did he long to use his reputation and name as a tool to instill fear?

"The masks are required for all missions. We are one unit, one voice for the Supreme Leader. We must be unidentifiable, both on our own and together."

She tilted her head and smiled softly, taking a few long strides to move past him, glancing over her shoulder as she overtook him.

"Follow me, I have something that may help." She took off, heading for the library wing.

Sliding the two hilts in either side of his three brown belts, now kitted out with three sabers – a personal record – Connor rubbed his thumb and fingers together behind his back as he paid attention.

"Forgive me if I’m being dumb, just let me think out loud and correct me if I’m wrong.”

He indicated for her to lead as he kept up, intrigued as to what she had for him.

"So the Ren operate within the First Order. The First Order know of the Ren, and work with them most of the times, but their personal identities are not known to them, hence the masks and such, like Stormtroopers – one unit, one image, one force.”

He was on a roll now with his logic.

"You say our existence isn’t common knowledge, but…it must be to the Order itself right? Otherwise it’s like we are part of an Order who doesn’t even recognise us. I thought the Ren would be helping lead others into battle for the service of the Leader. Or am I wrong again.”

His brow furrowed as his continued.

"I understand about identity. When I led the Silver Shadows, only those in the Shadows knew who we were, not even the Jedi Order. They knew OF us, but not who we were. I was just under the impression the Ren were not so secretive…I can’t see the point hiding away when everyone knows we DO exist, really. We should stand up with pride for what we do.”

With a slight chew of his cheek and a lick of the lips, he sighed.

"I don’t know. Who am I to question. I have plenty to go on and need to find someone to guide me. I don’t suppose you can in your position could you.”

[member="Ara Ren"]

Ara never slowed, dragging them through the labyrinthine halls of the fortress with a few casual comments as to what was down each hall. She'd give him a better tour after this, but he had questions and she knew of something that might be able to answer them better than she could.

To his first comment, she nodded easily. The average member of the First Order, civilian and military alike, did not know that she was a member of the Ren. She shook her head, laughing softly.

"I am not doing very good job of this, am I? You are correct, the First Order knows we exist, but not who we are individually, unless they are of high enough rank to need to. If you were to need medical assistance for example, you would get priority over their usual patients, but they would not know why. The medical staff can assume all they'd like, but other than a simple designator on our identichip, our information is secure."

She chuckled as she remembered the day he'd met her on Avalonia.

"When we first met, I was on a mission. To everyone in the military complex and Capitol Building, other than those I was reporting to, I was simply Amaro Saito, Civilian Support, Intelligence Sector."

One side of her mouth quirked up in an bemused smile. She had chosen to forgo her birth name and identity even within the order itself. Instead, taking a fake identity and occupation as needed. She hadn't quite been lying that day on Dosuun, to almost everyone in the Order, she was Military Support.

She turned them down a final corridor, entering the archives without any pre-amble. She lead them through the collections of datacrons, the occasional holocron, and even a few tradition tomes tucked away as well. The more sensitive information were stored well away from the prying eyes of overly-zealous Disciples, but she only needed one.

She stopped as the reached the small pedestal and pyramid shaped holocron. She turned to him, one hand hovering over the top of the pyramid.

"I can keep attempting to answer your questions and make a mess of it, or I can show you what I've been shown."

A simple push with the force and the holocron popped open with a snap and a hiss. She stepped back and allowed him a moment to watch and absorb the information given.

"Of course. Military support. Makes sense.”

He smiled to himself, remembering their nothing-but-fateful first meeting outside the plaza. For once, his persistence had paid off.

Walking with her through the intricate halls, the two entered what looked like an archive and resource library which would suit him just fine. Following, whilst looking around at the wealth of information and running his hand over a set of books, he came to a pedestal and stood opposite Ara before she activated the holocron atop it.

"Thank you,” she said to her with a little wink.

Focusing on the holocron, he rested his hands on either side and watched and absorbed the information that was divulged.

With the idea and concept of the Ren opening before him, a few moments caused Connor to shed a questionable glance to Ara, which she may or not notice.

His eyes and head worked in overdrive, taking everything in and First Order propaganda filling his mind. It made sense, and was the perfect foundations for an Order as this to succeed.

It felt like a few minutes, but could have lasted longer, and when the hologram faded, Connor snapped himself out of the intense focus he bore on the holocron, and looked up and around to find Ara.

"Path of the Jagged Stones? Hm.”

Tapping the pedestal, he stood back and rubbed his eyes.

"Well that certainly cleared a few things up. Thank you, Ara. But, one thing bothers me that may need to be re-evaluated. The Sith. I have ties with them, and one of their Lords is helping me ascend in my Force connection. Will that be a problem?”

She was probably the wrong person to ask, but right now she was all he had.

[member="Ara Ren"]

Throughout the duration of the hologram, Ara stood off to one side, leaning easily against a wall. She watched the man intently, taking in every facial expression and reaction. At his questioning glance, she raised both eyebrows, the smile gone, an indifferent look the only expression present on the girl.

As the hologram ended and Connor disengaged from his intense focus, she pushed away from the wall, a smile returning.

"From what I understand, the Path of Jagged Stones is now a part of the trials to ascend from Disciple to Knight."

She shrugged casually. She knew that she was far from that level of power and authority, but someday...someday she'd be ready. At his mention of the Sith, her eyebrows winged up in a truly surprised expression. She beckoned for him to follow her out of the library and back towards the living center of the Bastion.

"That question is far beyond my ability to answer. Sith Lord, hmm?"

She cast an appraising glance at her companion. The revelation was surprising and raised her opinion of him ever so slightly. He was more serious about his path than she'd initially given him credit for. The easy way she dismissed his former and current skills would have to be adjusted. If he was working with a Sith Lord, it was highly possible he'd overtake her skills quickly. After all, he had experience and she was a novice.

Her pride kept anything but mild amusement from showing, even as pieces of information were filled away for further examination. Their promised sparring match later would be an enlightening experience to say the least.

"As my Master said, we all have different approaches and views, even if we work towards a unified goal. I would assume that so long as you are dedicated to the Ren above all else, it shouldn't cause an issue. But it is not my call."

She shrugged again and led them past the mess hall most Disciples and a few Knights chose to take their meals in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom