Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private First Impressions

Coruscant
Jedi Temple

The sun had just crested the jagged skyline of monstrous mega-towers and cast it's light upon a balcony high in the jedi temple. There stood Lao-ta Unbari, knight of the jedi order. The human woman's dark hair stirred softly in the morning breeze as she took in the sparkling view with a serene smile on her face. She wore a pale blue shawl with an asymetric cut to it over her tunic in place of the more traditional brown robes. The pale blue of her eyes matched the shawl as the sun beamed down onto her freckled face. Two lightsaber hilts gleamed in the light hanging from her wide belt. She pushed herself away from the railing where she had been leaning and began to walk inside. The moment was past and she had a day full of classes with younglings ahead of her.

A week ago the council had called her back to coruscant. They told her that they thought the time was right for her to take a padawan of her own. The idea had caught her by surprise. She knew it was an eventuality just not that it was imminent. But she breathed through any doubts as they came to her. Letting them be a part of her and then letting them pass. She would meet this challenge with grace as she always strived to do. So she had set her navigation computer to return her to the jedi temple where she was raised. She had spent the last week attending classes with various groups of younglings as a guest instructor. The experience had been enlightening so far. She found that she enjoyed giving instruction. Enjoyed watching the younglings succeed. But every time she considered taking one as padawan something felt wrong in the force. She would reach out with her senses and feel their life force and each and every one of them was sparkling and beautiful, but none of them felt right to her. Now she wondered if it was supposed to feel right. That maybe she was waiting for a signal that would never come.

Later that morning, Lao-ta wiped the sweat from her brow after a string of sparring matches with some of the more gifted students. Suddenly she felt a tickle on her mind as she sensed a new person enter the room. She looked and saw a green twi'lek man in robes holding a datapad watching her. As their gazes met he nodded his head slightly in acknowledgement. She powered down the training saber she had been using and turned to the class.

"Thank you all for allowing me to entertain you today. Hopefully some of you learned something as well, but now I am called away." She turned and bowed to the instructor. "You have my gratitude." She turned and jogged over to the newcomer who handed her the datapad.

"A missive from the council." He stated as she took it. "They think you should meet this padawan. Might be a good fit."

Lao-ta tilted her head quizzically. "But you said he's already a padawan."

The twi'lek's face darkened. "His master just fell. They're bringing him home. He should be back tonight."

As she took in this news her face twisted for a brief moment before settling into serenity again. "Thank you. It seems I have some reading to do then." She inclined her head politely and took her leave.

A padawan that had just lost their master? Was she prepared for that? What were the council thinking? When she had lost her own master she had been crushed. She'd even considered leaving the order. But if the council were arranging this then they must believe the apprentice was ready to keep going. Would she be up to the task though? Again she reminded herself that if the council was arranging this then they must believe in them both. So she set off to the library with the datapad to learn what she could about this Niynx Ioune in the short time that remained her before he arrived.

Padawan Errant Padawan Errant

Last edited:
Temple_gardens.png

Nestled within the serene embrace of the Jedi Temple, there lies a verdant haven known as the Gardens of Remembrance. Bathed in soft light which filters through the canopy of ancient trees, this sanctuary of nature flourishes with vibrant life. Tall, graceful flora line carefully braided pathways, their petals blooming in a myriad of hues, from delicate pastels to bold, saturated tones. Exotic flowers release their sweet scent, filling the air with a soothing perfume to stir the senses. Tall grasses sway gently, their whispers akin to ancient chants which resonate with the Force...

• Coruscant
  • Jedi Temple || Temple Gardens
  • Gardens of Remembrance

Always before, this place had felt novel and safe to Niynx Ioune, always before it had inspired awe. It still did awe him, but now all of a sudden, some of that previously taken-for-granted safety felt endangered and home felt bittersweet. Where before this place had exemplified to Niynx the triumphs and seeming immortality of the Jedi Masters, now he couldn't help but also be reminded of their frailty, and of loss.

Among the blooms and flowing waters of the Temple Garden, there were secluded alcoves adorned with holo projectors casting their ethereal images of fallen Jedi Masters upon the garden floor. Each hologram, maintained by the Temple librarians, immortalized the various lessons and insights of these Masters such that their teachings might serve again as reminders of the Jedi's noble purpose.

Scattered throughout were statues and monuments paying homage to the Jedi who had come before. Majestic sculptures of revered Masters and scholars of the Force, frozen in time, served as a testament to the Order's wisdom and strength. Before, these statues and monuments, carved with meticulous detail as they were, had radiated an uncontested sense of serenity to Niynx. Now, he found himself wondering where they'd put La T'vil. Who would carve her statue and would it end up looking like her even to his discerning eye?

Niynx caught himself staring at the holographic visage of Jedi Master Tsuvatla. At times, he'd imagined himself as one day being imposing and broad shouldered like this man. He did not feel that way tonight. On a thirty second cycle, Tsuvatla's holo would smile and nod its head as if at the beholder. He'd never counted it out like that before. The plaque below Tsuvatla read 'In times of doubt, seek solace in the Force. It is a wellspring of wisdom and guidance patiently waiting for you to reach out and listen.' Niynx sighed to himself.
"Yes Master," he whispered almost soundlessly.

Lao-ta Lao-ta

Coruscant
Jedi Temple
Gardens of Rememberance

Lao-ta took in the garden as she entered. She had always loved the gardens. The vibrance of life she felt in the force went beyond the physical beauty of the place, but this garden in particular held a special significance. The monuments to fallen masters had once left her awed, later fear of mortality after Shamba's passing, and now... now she felt a sense of continuity. These masters had passed but their teachings lived on in their students, in her, and that was right. It was the way of things and their contributions would be carried forward into the future.

As she strolled through she let herself feel it all. The flowers, grasses, and the other people gathered here. As she let it all in something seemed to fall into place for her as she felt a particular energy in the room strange to her but almost familiar. She turned towards the source and saw a slight form standing in front of the holo of master Tsuvatla. She took in his sense. Yes there was the doubt she expected but there was resolve and hope as well. The council was right, Niynx seemed resilient, certainly he must be stronger than she was when she had faced this loss.

Her initial reluctance to disturb his peace was washed aside by a swell in the force. It had brought them both to this particular garden. She let the feeling propel her forward still somewhat uncertain what to say until she stepped up beside the boy.

"This place feels different now doesn't it?" She asked, wondering whether she was right to speak at all. But something about this moment, difficult though it was, felt right. Somber but right. Was this the feeling she had been waiting for all week? She hadn't heard him speak. Hadn't looked him in the eye. Yet she knew she was in the right place.

Last edited:
Temple_gardens.png
  • Coruscant
  • Gardens of Remembrance

"This place feels different now doesn't it?"
Niynx's shoulders tensed momentarily, but he gave no other visible sign of being startled. With the same instinct one might have to turn and face an approaching conversational partner, the Padawan instead reached out with his senses to touch the other's mind.
"Is it so obvious?" he asked, quirking his lips into an absent smile. He let a moment pass. Then, breaking his reverie, Niynx nodded a farewell to Master Tsuvatla and turned to greet this newer face. As he did so, he shrugged his shoulders and tightened the fit of oversized robes, tugging at the fabric in an effort to soothe the presence of wrinkles. Of course, it was a somewhat futile effort to begin with, and the overall resulting appearance of the Padawan was admittedly somewhat disheveled; tousled windswept hair, cloak stained with discoloration from years of use, threadbare patches along his elbows.

Pulling his sleeves together in his best approximation of a learned Master, Niynx bowed at the waist.
"You must be Master Lao-ta," he said, recovering from the bow. He sent encouragement through the Force, welcoming the Jedi Knight to share in this sacred place with him.
"It's an honor to meet you."

Lao-ta Lao-ta

Coruscant
Jedi Temple
Gardens of Rememberance

Lao-ta smiled as she felt Niynx reach out in the force. He was quite adept.
"Only obvious to one who's stood in this same spot missing their master. Though admittedly there are more of us than many would like to say. It is an honor to meet you as well." She looked up and scanned the garden sighing.
I let the force bring me here and I found the person who was weighing so heavily on my thoughts."
Her eyes drifted back to the padawan's face. He had sent her an impression of welcome through the force. This mind to mind game was one she enjoyed playing and wondered if that was something they could share. As she spoke she sent him a genuine expression of compassion and her sincere empathy for his situation.
"Tonight..." She reached out and put a hand on his shoulder. "I wanted to let you know that you're not alone, and put myself at your disposal if you need someone to be with you."

Last edited:
Temple_gardens.png
  • Coruscant
  • Gardens of Remembrance

"It is an honor to meet you as well. I let the force bring me here and I found the person who was weighing so heavily on my thoughts."

Niynx's mouth formed a surprised looking 'O' and he gestured to himself with a questioning hand. As he reached out, he could feel her there in the Force like a comforting warmth. 'In times of doubt, seek solace in the Force. It is a wellspring of wisdom and guidance patiently waiting for you to reach out and listen.' Niynx allowed that warmth to surround him, closing his eyes, then shutting them tighter.

"I wanted to let you know that you're not alone, and put myself at your disposal if you need someone to be with you."

A smile sprouted on Niynx's face and he opened his eyes, taking a step nearer to Lao-ta, fascinated. When his gaze found the other's this time, it was as if he were seeing her for the first time. Niynx nodded his head again, his smile sliding shy.
"I am honored by your words, Master Lao-ta. I would be most grateful for your company, much has changed since I've been away." Retrieving a hand from one sleeve, Niynx gestured in the direction of a winding pathway.
"Both from within and without, I'd imagine. Come," he invited, "walk with me?" Niynx let a playfulness drop like paint into the Force between them. It felt so good to smile. He stowed his hand again in the opposing sleeve.
"In Tsuvatla's own words, wisdom flows through many currents. We must not tether ourselves to a single stream. Instead, drift on." As if on cue, the holo image of Master Tsuvatla smiled and nodded his head.

Lao-ta Lao-ta

Last edited:
Coruscant
Jedi Temple
Gardens of Rememberance

"I am honored by your words, Master Lao-ta. I would be most grateful for your company, much has changed since I've been away."

Lao-ta took in the sight of him again, noting the way his grin grew shy. This was it. She felt certain that at the very least their paths were meant to cross.

"Both from within and without, I'd imagine. Come, walk with me?"
She felt him again in the force as his playfulness rippled around him. She had not known what to expect from the boy, but she reminded herself to let go of those expectations and experience him with an open mind. What little she'd seen of him so far had been impressive. Master La T'vil had done well by him it seemed. She nodded at his invite and turned toward the path.

"In Tsuvatla's own words, wisdom flows through many currents. We must not tether ourselves to a single stream. Instead, drift on."
"Master Tsuvatla shows his wisdom in this, and you show yours in heeding it." She took a step onto the path. "I like to think that part of the purpose of this garden is to remind us that even when we become one with the force our contributions live on. Master Tsuvatla's wisdom now lives in you, as does that of master La T'vil." The knight looked at Niynx sideways and continued to let her sense be open to him, a gentle questioning to see his reaction.

Temple_gardens.png
  • Coruscant
  • Gardens of Remembrance

"Master Tsuvatla's wisdom now lives in you, as does that of master La T'vil."

Niynx brimmed with an admittedly melancholic pride, his smile preserved and even encouraged to grow under the enforcement of Lao-ta's words. Counter to his expectations, he found that the weight of bearing Master La T'vil's legacy did not feel as heavy as he'd imagined, nor as tragic; at least, not presently, not with someone else to help carry the load. He met Lao-ta's gaze, sidelong, and the tips of his ears colored with that same shyness that crinkled his smile and kept his eyes from resting too long in any one place.
"And... what was the name of the mentor who's wisdom you now carry, Master Lao-ta?"

Lao-ta Lao-ta

Coruscant
Jedi Temple
Gardens of Remembrance

Lao-ta met Niynx's gaze with a fond smile. Her master had taken her places teeming with life and helped her truly understand her connection to the living force.

"That would be master Shamba. I intended to visit their place in the garden tonight as well if you'd like to join me."

Her countenance was truly warm. How far she'd come in the 11 years since Shamba's death. No trace of the bitterness she'd felt in the aftermath remained with her. Only the warm fondness for the way the wookiee had changed her life.

Temple_gardens.png
  • Coruscant
  • Gardens of Remembrance

"That would be master Shamba. I intended to visit their place in the garden tonight as well if you'd like to join me."

Niynx nodded to himself, eyes growing momentarily distant.
"Master Shamba," he repeated, his tone carrying the speculative glimmer of near-recognition. Then, returning to the present, he nodded once more to Lao-ta, clever smile returning.
"It would be an honor, Master. Besides— you must know by now that I'm inclined to take you up on your offer of company." Letting his eyes fall forward, Niynx became silent and bowed his head in acquiescence to another passing Master who walked nearby. They crossed paths with one another and Niynx felt their contemplation in the Force. The weight of the passing Master's thoughts expressed itself like a fatigue, the fog of war so many Jedi brought back with them when returning from the frontier worlds of the rising Sith Order. He wondered how much of that very same fatigue he now carried with him as well, feeling shame at the idea. Suddenly, the weight of La T'vil's lightsaber upon his belt seemed more noticeable than before, tugging at him, hanging beside his own. Heavier still was the worn, simplistically styled lightsaber which jostled along beside them both, a third, its own weight feeling alien, older than either his or La T'vil's, more dangerous.
"Master Lao-ta?" Niynx asked, wrenching himself back to the present and glancing with a bruised curiosity up to where the Knight strode along beside him.
"Is it wrong for a Jedi to fear the Sith...?"

Lao-ta Lao-ta

Coruscant
Jedi Temple
Gardens of Remembrance

Lao-ta felt the shift in the boy's mood. Felt the way he resonated with the war weary master as they passed. She knew that feeling. Then she felt his shame.

"Master Lao-ta? Is it wrong for a Jedi to fear the Sith...?"
Her heart ached that he already carried such weight, but it was a part of the path they walked.

"Fear is not a failing. Most sentients, most creatures in the galaxy feel it in some way or another. It only becomes a failing when we let it dictate our actions. Our challenge as Jedi is to know our fear. To see it for what it is and untangle it from ourselves that we might see the path beyond it and choose our own way forward. Know your fear Niynx. Feel it as part of yourself. Then let it pass from you."

Sure. She thought to herself. That sounded sagacious.

Last edited:
Temple_gardens.png
  • Coruscant
  • Gardens of Remembrance

Niynx pressed his brows together, contemplating Lao-ta's words.

Together, they passed a statue on their right in the likeness of a Twi'lek Master. Inlaid with the luminescent Heart of Fire crystals of Kiffu, it shone with a mesmerizing glow from within, as if capturing the very essence of the Force at peace. Her contours were smooth and polished, embodying the serenity and harmony of the Jedi path.

Beside it, a second statue portrayed Ishiah Reb, a Zabrak Jedi Master with the prim appearance of one steeped in tradition. Crafted from a blend of precious metals and adorned with intricate engravings, every detail, from the etchings on the robes to the fine craftsmanship of the face and horns, reflected the meticulous care and reverence with which he approached his duties as Consular.
"I think I understand, Master," Niynx said eventually. He spoke slowly, figuring out the words as he went along.
"To accept our fear, not as a victim to it, but as one resolved in acceptance, is to defeat it without ever needing to make it wrong or seeking its destruction. It's in keeping with the Jedi principles." Abruptly, Niynx lit up as if he'd suddenly figured out some grand secret. A brilliant wave of satisfaction sent like a shockwave through the Force, and he snapped his head back in the direction of Lao-ta.
"Like the branches of great wroshyr trees," he recited enthusiastically, "our actions extend from the roots of our own self understanding— it's Master Shamba! I remember now!" He grinned in contentment with himself, nodding his head to the Jedi Knight beside him in congratulations.
"You really do carry their wisdom with you, Master Lao-ta."

Further along the garden path, a massive statue representing the whole of the Jedi Order showcased a striking fusion of ancient and modern techniques. Composed of many shattered alabaster slabs, it appeared almost ethereal, with intricate patterns etched into the stone surface. Delicate strands of luminescent filaments, representing the interconnectedness of all living beings, was interwoven throughout the work of art, holding it together and giving it an otherworldly appearance. Below, many of the garden's paths converged and sprawled out from the statue, some running beside artificial rivers, others opening up into glades where banks of holo projectors displayed Masters in their moments of wisdom.

Lao-ta Lao-ta

Last edited:
Coruscant
Jedi Temple
Gardens of Remembrance

As they passed the statues, sculptures, and holos along the path her focus remained on the padawan. Had he understood? His sense was... contemplative.

"To accept our fear, not as a victim to it, but as one resolved in acceptance, is to defeat it without ever needing to make it wrong or seeking its destruction. It's in keeping with the Jedi principles."
She nodded slightly. Good, even if he was hesitant he had gotten the point. Making it a part of himself would be more difficult, but she was sure he was up to the task. Then she felt the ripple in the force as Niynx seemed to come to a realization.

"Like the branches of great wroshyr trees, our actions extend from the roots of our own self understanding— it's Master Shamba! I remember now!"
She laughed as he quoted her master, her voice echoing the joy inside her. She'd been alone for most of the last decade. It was good to hear Shamba's words from somewhere other than her own memory.

"You really do carry their wisdom with you, Master Lao-ta."

"It seems you do as well." She continued along the path, leading them past the central sculpture and picking a new direction with purpose. This was the path towards Shamba's holo. She felt a gentle nudge from the force and followed it's lead.
"The sith use fear as a tool. They would have it control us and through it control us themselves. Our awareness of it lessens the hold it has over us." The force urged her to continue. "I was afraid when the sith took Master Shamba. I was angry. But the same wisdom that we discuss now helped me overcome that. Now I know myself to be stronger for having wrestled with it. It is a journey though, and with so much of the path we walk it winds and twists and is sometimes very long. Understanding will not come all at once, and we must make peace with that as well. It is important that we take the next steps along the path even as it turns and hides itself from us." Niynx was already on the right path. Now she would help him along it if she could. "So, what is it you fear Niynx Ioune?" She stopped and turned to the padawan, letting the question hang heavy in the air.

Last edited:
Temple_gardens.png
  • Coruscant
  • Gardens of Remembrance

"So, what is it you fear Niynx Ioune?"

Niynx cast an anxious glance over his shoulder, then met Lao-ta's eyes with a sobered gaze. For a moment he just stared like that, eyes drilling, as if trying to see through her. He could not feel any pretension in the other, nor the looming quiet of one concealing themselves. Only warmth and affirmation. Still though.

Absently, he reached and traced hesitant fingers over the hip of his Jedi cloak's exterior, the very spot where under he might have kept a lightsaber. When he spoke, it was as if the words were unconscious, gaze growing distant and contemplative.
"I could try to show you...?"

Lao-ta Lao-ta

Last edited:
Coruscant
Jedi Temple
Gardens of Remembrance

It quickly became obvious that answering was difficult for the Padawan. She felt his presence in the force dim slightly as he stared into her eyes and then as his gaze went somewhere distant.

She wondered what he meant for a moment before gesturing invitingly.
"Please do." This would be difficult but good for Niynx in the long run.

Niynx Ioune Niynx Ioune

Last edited:
Temple_gardens.png
  • Coruscant
  • Gardens of Remembrance

"Please do."
Niynx nodded obediently, regaining his bodily composure and, piece-by-piece, returning to the present moment. Lucidity returning to a fragile gaze, Ninyx glanced back in the direction they'd been walking and seemed to consider.
"... Are you familiar with the Kiffu Force technique called tai vordrax, Master Lao-ta?"

Lao-ta Lao-ta

Coruscant
Jedi Temple
Gardens of Remembrance

"... Are you familiar with the Kiffu Force technique called tai vordrax, Master Lao-ta?"
"I am. It's a rare gift and one I learned this afternoon that you possess." She hooked her thumbs into loops on her belt and looked at him expectantly. This ability that would be forever beyond her reach did fascinate her, but she was unclear how he would use it to show her anything. As far as she understood it only the user experienced it's affects.

Niynx Ioune Niynx Ioune

Temple_gardens.png
  • Coruscant
  • Gardens of Remembrance

"I am. It's a rare gift and one I learned this afternoon that you possess."

Surprise bled into the Force, and Niynx turned round to fix his eyes again on the Jedi Knight, studying her.
"It is, Master," he agreed, feeling the surge of Lao-ta's curiosity.
"—And a gift I have been asked to call upon many times in my training beneath Master La T'vil. Although much of the tai vordrax will forever live within me, there are ways that some of that experience can be shared. Through meditation and by opening ourselves to one another in the Force, she was sometimes able to gain impressions and feelings alongside me." He winced, then let falter his gaze.
"Of course, I cannot be certain it'll work..."

Lao-ta Lao-ta

Temple_gardens.png
  • Coruscant
  • Gardens of Remembrance
Niynx nodded in acquiescence, the gesture looking formal as he returned his hands to his sleeves.
"The honor is all mine, Master. Perhaps we sit together under the shade of Master Shamba's tree? There we can be at peace and in good company, as well as away from the beaten path."

Lao-ta Lao-ta

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom