Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech FC-2 Flechette Launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
[ IMAGE ]​
Image Source: http://liammacdonald.blogspot.com/2013/07/asura-concept-for-laser-gun-and.html
Intent: Provide a modern day upgrade to the FC-1
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Golan Arms
Model: FC-2
Affiliation: Limited Market (Requires Permission or thread)
Modularity: Can Use Anti-Vehicle or Anti-Personnel Rounds (Switchable ammo)
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Durasteel
Classification: Flechette Launcher
Size: Handheld

Length: 1.4m
Weight: 12kg

Ammunition Type: Flechette Canister
Ammunition Capacity: 6
Effective Range: 250m (Optimal: 100m)
Rate of Fire: Single Action (Double shot)
Special Features:
Two Ammo Types - Anti-Infantry or Anti-Armor
Lethal - This weapon is designed to massacre

Strengths:
Powerful - Armored infantry and vehicles will have dozens of holes through them
Simple Ammo Switch - To change ammunition, change the canister. Every two-shots are loaded individually of the one before it, requiring manual load and reload. Single shots can be loaded and fired, but pulling the trigger activates both chambers

Weaknesses:
Very Slow - Single Action, and nothing is automated, the user must actively load, reload, prime, and fire. It's reload time takes upwards of 30-40 seconds
Heavy - The weight of the weapon forces any ordinary humanoid to use no other weapons, except maybe a small pistol, rarely even a pistol or grenades. Recommended for ammo to be in backpacks for weight distribution

Description: The FC-2 is the upgrade to the FC-1, making it a lot more powerful and have a little more ammunition, for effectiveness of todays standards. It suffers with a longer reload time, but is just as effective with range as its predecessor, but its specialized ammunition allow more to be carried and fired. It isn't made to capture, and it isn't preferred as an anti-infantry weapon, however, using it for anti-infantry purposes can be considered inhumane, and could be seen as genocidal actions. Moderately armored vehicles will feel the brunt of this weapon. Although, instead of a full force rocket, it is design to put holes into a vehicles hull, killing its occupants, like a shrapnel grenade being dropped into the cockpit.
Vehicle Armor up to: Heavy, non-reinforced
Infantry Armor up to: 8 (On Armor Quality)

The canisters provide compressed, ignitable gas, able to excellerate the rounds without making them go off by other means. The weapon fires an Armor piercing slug, as large as six inches long as an inch and a half wide, which will explode depending on the pressure designated. Anti Personnel rounds require very little pressure, but explodes a few miliseconds after the pressure hits, allowing it to pass through personal armor and explode between the armor and flesh, or penetrating flesh and imploding within the body. The end result is a small explosion with shrapnel and some fire. The result and way the round works is the same for the anti vehicle round, except it requires a lot more pressure, a lot more. However, these rounds can easily be counteracted with spaced and layered armor such as Chobham Armour, Spaced Armour or extremely thick or extremely strong material, resulting in the round exploding within the armor, or in the space between the armor. Against vehicles, it's designed to suffocate or knock out crew, or destroy systems, allowing it to, perhaps, be repairing or even taken over without destroying the entire vehicle.

Primary Source: N/A

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Erich Arnstein"]

Ruling out 8, 9 and 10; armor of the best metal and material, or "super material." Up to 7 would still consider the strength of Durasteel and lesser advanced metals.

Above the FC-2r, this would be shooting up MBT's, APC's, anything that has moderately more armor than standard.

I'd wager it can shoot holes or at least rattle the cage of anything with no development, or up to ten posts of development. After that, it will likely do nothing to the vehicle.

Even with a swiss cheese ability, the vehicle may have multiple layers of armor, which would result in the canisters exploding within the layers. Key points would have to be shot, which more than likely wouldn't be that easy to get to. This weapon is also extremely heavy, and would require like, a grocery cart if you wanted to mainline it like an assault rifle. So it would probably be as common as a rocket launcher. What I'm saying is; if I fielded all of my soldiers with it, I would run out of ammo before the fight ended

Alright. I can't exactly see a Flechette Launcher, something that is essentially a bigger, meaner shotgun, piercing MBT or APC armour, especially when the original was best used against fairly lightly armoured Snowspeeders, especially with no development behind it. So could you tone down the AP capabilities of the launcher to something more akin to the FC-1? Could you also lower the armour quality it's effective against by 1, pushing it more into the realm of higher-end medium armour?

Also, remember that even though it may be effective against certain armour qualities, the damage someone else takes is left up to them, within reason, of course.

[member="Neldar Poska"]

Alright, so I should have suspected this is what was going to happen. Nothing against you, I'm just poor at this.
The first step for me would be to change the ammo type, because...

The idea of the upgrade was to change the weapon to make much more effective than, but still keep the effect, of the flechette launcher.
The FC-2 uses Armor-piercing rounds similar to that of the RT-20, piercing the initial armor and, depending on its type (anti personnel or vehicle changing pressure threshold), the bullet would explode depending on pressure designation and release its flechette with a slightly explosive and fiery effect with shrapnel and other things flying. Anti personnel explodes after piercing light or hard and thin infantry armor, or on contact with flesh or bone (results in internal explosion) and anti vehicle rounds detonate after contact through a type of hardness from very hard or thick armor.

A little different.

Aaah, that would make more sense, yes. This type of shell would definitely be more likely to pierce average MBT, APC or early heavy armour than simple flechettes, so if you could clarify in its description to reflect the proper way it works, that'd be awesome.

[member="Neldar Poska"]

Neldar Poska said:
Vehicle Armor up to: 7 (On scale of 1-10 in armor strength)
Vehicles in the factory do not have armor ratings. You would be much better off describing what kind of vehicle armor it would be best capable of penetrating. i.e; heavy non-reinforced armor, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom