Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favors and Negotiations (Aiden)

[member="Aiden Merritt"]

[SIZE=9pt]"Yes, its appearances Aiden within the Cluster. My parents lose their minds over it. But when I'm out of the reach I don't have one, for goodness sake I'm an adult" She looked at him as he reasoned it out, "If we are, dating a chaperone is suppose to be near. If we are engaged, then a chaperone is not needed as it is viewed as a commitment that neither would break without good cause." Good cause, what would be good cause.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]A roving eye, yes.

But not Aiden, she couldn't picture him like that.[/SIZE]

She took his hand as she exited the boat and stood once more upon the hard ground. She looked at the grounds long unattended, over grown, abandoned. The building was incredible, huge for a lakeside manor.

She looked up at him as he spoke, "Our first, excellent!" It was so exciting so unknown, how long had it been that she had been able to do something that had no known outcome. "OOoo" she cooed, "A secret group, a cult" her eyes widened, "even better" She knew he was serious, "Well what are the traditional places a cult would use to honor a dead leader?"

She would have thought a grave...were there graves here?

[member="Melanctha Dallamoor"]

Aiden had been by the property in the boat but never ashore. The current dock was a new addition built far to the side of the property.

“The original dock ran most of the length of the house. It was destroyed when the rebellion failed. That barren spot between the center of the house and the lake is where the executions were performed. One of the rumors is that nothing will grow there now; and, it seems there may be something to that part of the legends at least,” Aiden explained as he led her slowly towards the old formal entrance to the ancient Manor.

The closer they came to the building, the stronger Aiden’s feelings of trepidation. He hadn’t sensed a darkness this intense since his ill-fated time on Korriban.

“I don’t know that there are any traditional places as cults’ environments vary with whatever they are worshipping or honoring. Plus, I don’t what we will find inside,” Aiden responded to her question about places they should look for.

“That central tower does seem to be better maintained than most of the manor so it might be an area we want to explore. Otherwise, we’ll just take it floor by floor and see what’s here.”

“One fact about the manor that seems independent of all the mystery is that it was said to have an elaborate grand entry. It was designed to intimidate visitors with the power and wealth of House AlGray.”

Aiden pushed the huge door open on its reluctant hinges and gaped at the room revealed with amazement. “Wow!” was all he could manage to say until the shock of the room abated. "Are there peacocks in the Cluster?" Aiden was seriously concerned about the taste of his archaic relatives.

tumblr_melg5piIFd1qzfsnio3_500_zpsd514d580.jpg

Melanctha followed peering inside her eyes naturally traveled upwards it was stunning. She inched her way past Aiden to be inside "look at how intricate Aiden, and the colors they've barely faded" She tilted her head back to look up at the ceiling. "It must have taken some very skilled artisans to build this"

It was overwhelming beauty it took her breath away. While she would never think to have something this big in her home she could see exactly what Aiden had said, "peacocks?" She gave him a quizzical look, "I don't see any." She laughed. "Aren't you more worried about what this cost, and who built it?"

Who built it that was a great question. this didn't intimidate her it made her want to look at it more closely. So she looked back at Aiden, "I think if we get married this should be in our entry way. What do you think?" She was playing with him now, what would his reaction be.

[member="Aiden Merritt"]

Aiden chuckled despite himself. That Melanctha seemed intrigued by what he immediately found overdone and gaudy caused him to reappraise the entry chamber. He had to admit it was an amazing display of craftsmanship. Each small section was made of dozens if not hundreds of small tiles inlaid seamlessly. Plus, this room was not the source of the darkness he felt pressing against him; testing him; challenging him.

He arched a brow at the mention of marriage, but didn’t rise to the bait other than to say, “I’m sure mother would be happy to deed this place over to us if you have some desire to live here.”

He knew he couldn’t live here unless the source of what darkened the place could be found and purged. Aiden noticed another feature of the room that hadn’t been immediately obvious.

“Where are the doors?” he asked Mel as he examined the walls more closely. Other than the massive double doors of the entrance, there were no obvious doorways leading into the rest of the building. From the chambers central location there should be at least two and he would guess probably four concealed doors.

He had only taken a portion of the bait but still he had played it off rather well. He asked where were the doors, she looked around aside from the ones they were standing in there did not appear to be others.

"Must be hidden or seamless to give the illusion that they don't exist" Mel approached one of the walls she looked at it, "if there is a doorway here I don't see it" Everything matched perfectly everything looked like a solid piece of tile. She bit her lip as she tried to examine it, "Aiden, do you know where the doors are?" She walked a little further in to take a look, and still nothing looked like an opening to her.

"So part of the intrigue is it looks like you get locked in here that could deter people when they come into here" This was beginning to fell a little creepy. Just a little old homes did that to the imagination.

[member="Aiden Merritt"]

Aiden shrugged admitting that he didn’t see the doors. An opening door would have to have a seam around it even if it was tiny; however, the subtle texture in the tile work concealed any evidence of those gaps.

Aiden walked along the wall slowly, sliding his hand along it, palm facing the wall. Halfway along the north wall he felt a very slight movement in the air, as if there were a slight exhale of stale air from an unseen room tickling his hand. He stopped and moved his hand up and down the wall tracing its source and found himself tracing a rectangle, undoubtedly one of the doors. He pressed gently along the inside edge of the unseen rectangle until pressure at a certain spot produced a click and the hidden door cracked open.

“There’s one,” he said unnecessarily because Mel was watching his every move. He stepped back and studied the patterns in the tile of the door. Turning he searched the other walls for a similar arrangement.

“There’s two more, one on each wall. Do you see them?”

Melanctha watched with great curiosity and once he had found the doors she moved to the other side to see if she could find one on her own. She slid her fingers in the same manner that she had watched [member="Aiden Merritt"], thre it was that slight change, she pressed gently, success she was able to open the door.

"OH that is most excellent" Mel looked beyond the doors. "I can't believe it" She smiled broadly another very un hapan thing her emotions but Aiden knew what she was like when they were alone. He never frowned on her emotions, he always let her be herself. It was when in public that her face became passive.

She looked over to Aiden, "What is beyond your door Aiden, anything worth taking a look at?" How long had it been since these doors were opened?

Aiden slipped his finger under the exposed edge of the door and pulled. The door opened effortlessly. Either the construction was superb or someone was maintaining it; lubricating the hinges so that it opened silently at his slightest touch. All in all, he’d prefer the think it was well-made rather than some unknown person or persons keeping the old place up for what he feared could only be dire motives.

Pulling it all the way open, Aiden looked down the now exposed hallway.

“All I can see is a hallway that extends to the end of the house – a half dozen doors on either side that are all closed.”

Aiden stepped to the third doorway and opened it. From the layout of the house, he expected Mel’s doorway to open onto a hallway similar to his. This third door should lead to the main body of the house and that tower they saw as they approached.
The third door opened as easily as the first. It revealed a large chamber, perhaps a ballroom in its day. He stepped over and opened Mel’s door confirming his suspicion that opened upon a hallway that mirrored the one he first opened.

“I suspect these are mostly public rooms – the ones they let their guests see. I’d expect an office, a library, a dining room, probably guest rooms... things like that. You would probably understand Hapan architecture better than I do at this point.”

There were many things Aiden didn’t know. What he did know was the darkness he sensed didn’t come from either of the front two doors. It was definitely behind door number three.

“Why don’t we go into that next large chamber,” he suggested indicating the third door. “Be careful! It’s not in as good a condition as this entry room.”

ballroom_by_illpadrino-d4cc0it_zps8bf1d967.jpg

Melanctha was fascinated by it all. An ancient building full of memory and history. An unknown tale waiting to be told. She could almost feel the spirit of the place reaching out touching her coaxing her to come. She smiled for some unknown reason.

The musty smell of the old and worn filled her senses she could hear Aiden talking had he asked her a question.

She turned. "Yes let's I can't help it but it seems my curiosity is growing with the discovery of these new places" She took a step, "when do you think was the last time someone was in here?"

What were their thoughts and dreams. "Many homes are designed to hide things we are Hapan Aiden some things are just part of life" What schemes had been made here, were they successful. Yes she wanted to know more.

"Do you want to lead Aiden ?" She should perhaps but in this she deferred to his knowledge.

[member="Aiden Merritt"]

when do you think was the last time someone was in here?"

“That depends on who you ask,” Aiden replied. “Officially, the house has been abandoned at least two centuries corresponding with the building and occupation of the mountaintop villa.”

He stepped into the next chamber and was awed by what they found.

“Of course there are those rumors about a secret cult maintaining the place. If that’s the case… it could still be occupied in a sense – and there may be someone in here now.”

He was being a little dramatic but he did couldn’t shake a feeling of danger tied to the place that grew stronger the deeper into the house they traveled.

“I was wrong. After a quick glance, I thought this may be a ball room because of its size. It’s just an elaborate central connecting chamber leading from the entrance to the rear of the house.”

Aiden paused a moment to look out the windows at the two inner courtyards that ran on either side of the long room.

“Can you imagine what this place looked like in its prime? It must have been amazing.”

Aiden was amazed and saddened that such a wonderful home had been abandoned and wondered if it was entirely because of the failed rebellion or if the darkness he sensed had more to do with it. They might never find out with any degree of certainty, but, it would be an interesting exploration.

“Ready for the next room?”

Secret cults. Two centuries of standing still waiting for the story to be told. Was she ready? She was born ready. "Yes Aiden I'm more than ready" Still she couldn't wait to see the next.

A cold chill ran up her spine as though someone had touched her, odd but yet she paid no mind to it. What could it be. Lol. A ghost? She looked at Aiden. Was he ok? He had a look she couldn't define.

"If you want we can get it restored to its former glory. Make it a place to feel welcomed" She smiled.

Coming closer she touched Aidens arm, "lead the way professor" This was more than history. This could be a lesson in life.

[member="Aiden Merritt"]

[member="Aiden Merritt"]

Approaching the Gray Moon, Jon contacted the informant he was paying to keep him apprised of the comings and goings of the AlGray family and any developments that might affect his contract with them or offer any opportunities to further exploit the Relephon system.

He was amused that Aiden Merritt and the Duch’a Dallamoor were off exploring by themselves. Elaine AlGray must be beside herself. He had heard all the details he needed to understand that Aiden was being a reluctant heir; resisting the necessity of marriage as a political survival tactic.

He grimaced as that issue was all too close to home. He didn’t have so very many years left before a decision would be demanded of him – marry Camilla and unify two of the seven clans thus assuring that the Burke family – in the form of Jon Burke – would retain patriarchy of the Seven Clans and maintain control of the vast business ventures fronted by Burke Enterprises; marry someone else that would reasonably assure at least a good chance of having a son – the next generation of Burke leadership – a position acceptable to the Burke Clan but not as strong a position politically; or relinquish the position altogether and have the elder council decide who best to assume control. He chuckled thinking that the last option would probably result having his own family put a bounty on his head as well as the one contracted by his life-long nemesis Ronin Brennan.

His attention came sharply back into focus when he was told where they were adventuring. Aiden and Dallamoor were actually exploring the lake-house ruins. Jon grimaced. He knew Aiden well enough to know that his jedi-senses would lead him to the cave chambers – an area Jon was processing in his never-ending quest for lost knowledge of the force. Jon’s research had shown there were artifacts to be found if he had time to search the area thoroughly. Aiden’s ancestors has a very interesting history – one Jon was sure would haunt the young jedi.

“Aimee,” Jon instructed the artificial intelligence system that basically ran the little Baudo for him. “Message the AlGray estate. Inform them my arrival will be delayed. A new arrival time will be provided when determined. Also, signal the ground team. Warn them Merritt will probably be entering the caves later today. Avoid contact. I’ll be arriving soon to handle our Hapan explorers. Land us at the canyon pad as soon as possible.”

“Aye, Captain Burke,” Aimee responded then set about to execute the tasks assigned.

Jon leaned back in his chair and wondered if there was any way to drive Aiden from the caves without letting him know what they contained.

Aiden couldn’t help notice the slight shiver that ran down Melanctha’s back. Was she sensing the malevolence of this place, too? Why would she… unless she had some type force sensitivity of her own. No, she wouldn’t be deceptive to him like that… like he was being with her. Guilt overwhelmed him. She was too important to him to risk harming their relationship by keeping something that significant from her.

Aiden took her hand and turned her to face him. “Can we sit and talk for a minute?”

He opened the door to the courtyard and led her out to a stone bench that was beside what had been an elaborate fountain. He brushed off a layer of dry, dead leaves and sat down with her.

“Mel, there’s something I need to tell you because I don’t want there to be any secrets between us.”

He hesitated, nervous for reasons unknown to him. He had never had any problems telling anyone that he was jedi before. Why her?

“You know me as archeologist, teacher, and reluctant Hapan. I have another title, too. One that just hasn’t ever needed to come up before when we’ve been together.”

He gave her a sheepish grin and shrugged as he admitted, “I’m a jedi, Mel. A jedi knight to be more specific.”

He certainly hoped she wasn’t the type Hapan that hated the jedi still. That would break his heart.

"A jedi" she repeated. Oh my. She thought. A force user. Oh but oh could that be. Maybe he wasn't sure, "are you are?" She hoped he was.

But what if he wasn't what then. Who knew? Why. Did it seem to hurt so that he was. She tried to reconcile some things, "have you ever tried to influence me? " oh had he fooled her.

Oh my. But what else is there another reason. She wanted to bite her nails, but this was Aiden someone she honored respected. Someone she was thinking of having something more with.

[member="Aiden Merritt"]

Aiden levitated three small stones and began juggling them with the force. “Yeah, I’m pretty sure.”

He let the rocks fall back to their original resting places among the broken tiles of the patio. “It’s not something I decided that I wanted. It’s just always been a part of me. A jedi saw me communicating with Hoojibs on Arbra when I was about 12 and was suspicious. He tested me and found out I was force sensitive.” He chuckled, “I guess I was never mean enough to be a sith.”

He was shocked when a Baudo, the third he’d seen today, passed over the lake house. It was slowing for a landing that would put it down behind the first row of mountains behind the house. He had a pretty good idea who that was and Burke being in the area didn’t please him at all.

"have you ever tried to influence me? "

Mel’s question shocked Aiden out of his concern for the Baudo that just flew over and his attention fully back to her. It was a common fear of non-force users that jedi would be play mind-games with them. “Mel, I would never… I have never… please, don’t ever be afraid that I would try to do anything like that to you.”

He was completely sincere but couldn’t resist a little tease… “it’s just not in my skill set.”

Melanctha gave him a smile she sat there a bit stunned this was something she had not expected. Aiden had kept it secret for a reason not all Hapan's trusted those who were in touch with the force. She looked down at his hand holding hers and began asking herself questions to reason this out. He had kept this secret the majority of his life.

Would it have mattered when she first met him? Would it have changed the way she looked at him, then and now. Those blue eyes that all the women she knew then had wanted to get lost in them, she being among them. Did it change anything? Was he less of a man because of it? Was he a threat to her or anyone she knew? She studied his face, she could see a hint of emotion in his eyes.

They had been discussing a marriage contract well an engagement and he had told her this knowing that she could very well reject him now. Him telling her meant he trusted her with his secret. Just as she had started being more honest with him. And then the fear what if someone found out that would use it against him, against his family.

How would she react to that. No, he was a good man this was not something to fear from him others maybe but not him. She didn't understand and perhaps that was why she felt some apprehension. In truth though she couldn't bear to see him hurt.

"Well I guess this will pretty much settle it Aiden first if you seek a Hapan wife then you should marry me there are not many Hapan women who will take this news and react so well. Second, you must still be careful around others it is hard to know who would react well to this news" She said it quite matter of factly but underneath other emotions swirled around to see him hurt would stab her in the heart and unleash Hapan justice upon the those who would hurt him.

She put her hand on his, not giving him too much time to think she leaned forward kissed his cheek more for assurances, and to let him know she still cared, "you told me this for a reason Aiden" knowing enough about the force to be dangerous, "is something wrong here that you are..." what was the word the use that applied, "sensing?" She asked.

[member="Aiden Merritt"]

“Mel, this is another one of those situations that I won’t seek out a marriage to solve. When we seriously talk about marriage, I want us to do so without the influence of politics or force sensitivity. I want the question to be, ‘do Aiden and Mel want to go through life together’.”

He smiled at the look she gave him – something akin to ‘bless your heart, you still don’t understand Hapans.’

“I know I’m possibly being naïvely optimistic but that’s what I want.”

He thought it might be a good idea to turn the conversation away from the topic of marriage. She could tell there was something about the place that was making him uneasy and now that she knew he was Jedi, that should seem more ominous to her.

“Are you familiar with one of the ancient Queen Mothers names Ni’Korish? She was rabidly anti-jedi and had all that were found in the Cluster killed. She had a following that grew to a significant size which almost assured certain death for any jedi that happened inside the Mists. There was also a fringe group within that following that was suspected to be led by a group of sith that made the killings more a ritual sacrifice. Obviously, we don’t know very much about that group or cult as any jedi that happened to witness any of their activities never returned to report.”

“My padawan Alseia and I were coming to investigate this cult when my family’s situation side-tracked me. My greatest fear, Mel, is that – when we dig down into this place – we will find evidence that cult right here on the Gray Moon.”

It broke Aiden’s heart to think that his ancestors may have been involved in atrocities against the jedi.

“I guess we won’t find out sitting here.”

Aiden stood up and helped Mel to her feet letting his arms slip around her pulling her into an embrace. He gave her a soft kiss and whispered “thank you.” With a reluctant sigh, he released her and said, “I think if we want to focus on proving or disproving the cult theory, we need to find a way down… deep under this place. Still want to go on?”

He really did not understand did he, unless. She thought for a moment what had they talked about earlier about finding the one. She wouldn't keep him from finding the one as they had talked, but she could protect him now to not let light shine upon this secret he had shared. Oh how to get him to think like a Hapan just for a little while.

She took what he said very seriously to find such evidence on these grounds would hold consequences for the family, and many questions. "Well it would seem to me that we must continue to look though to answer the questions, and whatever is making you uneasy to put it to bed" She rose up just as his arms slipped around her giving her the sweetest lightest of kisses.

"You're welcome Aiden, it is the least of things that I could offer you. Its a shame you don't see the value in it right now" She smiled that untraditional Hapan smile and then slipped from his arms to gather her own thoughts on this. It was now important to prove what had happened did it, or did it not.

"Yes Aiden," her face was passive for the moment, "We need to look to find the answers" She nodded and looked around her again were there hints to such things within the markings around them, was there some ancient footprint waiting to be found that would lead to the darkness that hung over this, or would it be the light and nothing more than the words that had been whispered on the wind.

"Lead the way Aiden, let us see what lays beneath"

[member="Aiden Merritt"]

[member="Aiden Merritt"]

\
The Baudo settled gently down on the make-shift pad, cleared from the largest flat area on the canyon floor weeks before by Jon’s ground team on the Gray Moon. A larger craft wouldn’t fit in the snug spot but its advantage was that, when on the ground, Jon’s Baudo would only be visible from a direct overflight, and, that was extremely unlikely with as little flight traffic as there was on the ALGray homeworld.

Stepping out, Jon was met by his team’s leader.

“Where are they?” Jon asked.

“Still in the lake house,” Taylor replied.

“Good. Move one of the men forward to let me know when they get to the hall of columns. He is not to be seen or make contact. Understood?”

“Yes, Mr. Burke.”

“Good. Now what progress have you made clearing the doorway we discovered on my last visit?”

“The room is clear, but, we haven’t tried to force the door.”

“That’s fine. We’ll examine it together. Lead the way, Taylor.”

Aiden nodded and led the way back inside and to the doorway at the far end of the large room. He forced the door open as it was blocked by debris from the walls and ceiling.

“This area has faired more poorly. There’s lots more weather damage,” he said to himself as much as to Melanctha.

In the center of the room as if it were daring them, was a stairway down. Down to whatever depths this old house had to reveal.

29767b4c22973358c06a01db2e120807_zps7d8bb7fd.jpg

“I’ll lead. Stay a couple of steps behind me in case these steps don’t hold.”

They descended the longest flight of steps Aiden ever remembered taking. That was probably an exaggeration. It was just that each step downward was met with growing darkness and halfway they couldn’t see the bottom of the steps.

Aiden pulled a small light from his jacket pocket and turned it on. The light tried valiantly but was no match for the deepening gloom of the staircase. But it did keep him from stepping in holes or tripping on trash.

After what seemed an eternity, they reached the bottom and their faithful light revealed a vast open chamber broken only by stone support columns. Even in those depths, Aiden could feel a slight breeze coming from the direction that he supposed would be towards the mountains behind the house.

In the far distance, he thought he saw a faint light. He turned off his flashlight for a moment to confirm it. Turning the light back on, he said, “Looks like that’s our next stop. Doing OK?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom