Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Vonnuvi Orphanage looked similar to the rest of the housing in the Residential Sector, if a little larger in size than the typical home. There was nothing to outwardly indicate that the place even was an orphanage, probably for the sake of privacy and safety.

Okay, Serena,” Inanna asked, glancing down at her daughter. “Are you excited?

Yeah!” Serena jumped up and down. Quite a different reaction compared to when they first pitched the idea of a sibling to her. “Do all babies come from here?

No, only some of them,” Inanna answered, holding out her hand for the toddler to take. “This place is for babies without mommies and daddies."

"Where did I come from?"

"You showed up on our doorstep one day.

Why?

Uh…” Inanna glanced toward Cato. “Because we wanted a baby.” Well, not exactly, but Serena didn’t need to be told she was an accident just yet.

Like a package?

She laughed. “Yeah, I guess.

Despite having already gone through the 'trial by fire' edition of first time parenthood, Cato was a bit nervous leading up to this meeting. Between him and Inanna, he was clearly the more hesitant of the two to try for another child at this stage of their lives. And though he had since come around to the idea, his concerns didn't just magically fade away. If things went as expected, they'd be adding a whole other real life person to their family. Another person to be responsible for. Sometimes, Cato still didn't quite trust himself.

Cato shot a nervous glance over at Inanna, the reminder slapping him in the face at a rather inconvenient time, given what they were here for. At least this one wouldn't be of his own irresponsible conception. The boy in question was also younger than Serena, so at least he wasn't technically jumping into anything he hadn't experienced before. If they were taking on an older kid, or a teen, Cato wouldn't be so sure he could manage the drastic difference, "Something like that," Cato quietly added to the conversation.

After a beat, he knocked on the door. And after another beat, it opened. A nanny droid had answered, looking at the guests quizzically, "Hello. Can I help you with something?"

Cato cleared his throat, "We're ah, Cato and Inanna Harth? We're here for our adoption meeting." Was that the proper term? He didn't really know how to navigate the foster system himself.

The droid stalled for a moment, apparently accessing some internal data, "Ah, yes! The Harths. Come in," She moved aside for them to enter, ushering them through to the waiting foyer, "Take a seat, and we'll have someone with you momentarily." The droid dipped its head, and left the room, leaving them as the only ones here. Chairs were laid out around the space, with pictures of children and children's drawings scattered across the walls. Stiffly, Cato sat down, and sighed.

Cato was brooding. Inanna made no attempt to pull him from his thoughts, but Serena reached out to grab his hand… mainly so that she could use her parents’ arms as a swing, though it was sort of a comforting gesture too.

Once they were allowed inside, she started running around the foyer, exploring the pictures on the walls. A box of toys in one corner quickly had her full attention, however, as she entertained herself by pulling everything out of the box.

With the toddler preoccupied, Inanna sat down next to Cato. “Well, this all seems pretty… relaxed,” she said. “It’s certainly a lot more chill than the refugee ship Hal and I adopted our kids from. They were overcrowded and just wanted to offload as many passengers as they could. The adoption process was like an assembly line. They had all these war orphans lined up to be handed off to their adoptive parents. There were so many babies crying in that room, the noise was practically unbearable…

In this orphanage, you could hear the occasional cry, but it was muffled by the walls and, from the sound of it, quickly taken care of by the nanny droids. But the quiet meant that you were allowed to stew in your thoughts. The sheer chaos of the situation aboard the refugee ship had kept her from thinking about anything other than getting those poor kids out of there. Only after they had returned to the calm of their own vessel did she have a chance to reflect—and by that point she was already fully committed. Those children were hers.

Cato wasn’t going to have that experience here. Neither was Inanna, who could already feel needling doubts creeping in. But thinking about the Chiss baby they were here to see helped to keep them at bay.

After a few minutes of waiting, the door to the foyer suddenly opened and an Ithorian stepped through. “Welcome,” he greeted them. “You are the Harths? I am Raj Zawobb. You wanna adopt a kid? Then follow me, please.”

Cato's expression remained fairly blank even as Inanna spoke up, his attention divided between her words and his own thoughts. "Yeah?" He added conversationally, scratching at the five o'clock shadow he had yet to shave, "Sounds pretty… stressful." As if this wasn't going to be in it's own way. Eventually he grew restless to the point that his leg was bouncing up and down, and he was checking the time, "So… When we go in there, what should I-?"

His question was cut off by the arrival of an Ithorian man, who introduced himself in the trademark sonorous voice of his species, "That's right, Mr. Zawobb. Uh— Cato. My wife Inanna, and our daughter Serena," He introduced them all, assuming the cordiality was of interest. But Mr. Zawobb seemed eager to get down to business. Serena was still playing with one of the toys as they walked, her attention preoccupied.

"So… When we go in there, what should I-?"

Though he was cut off by the arrival of Raj, Inanna got the gist of what Cato was asking, along with the sentiment behind it. She slipped her hand into his. “Just be yourself, I guess.

He was probably looking for a more concrete explanation of what to do, but seeing as they were probably going to be interviewed, that was the best advice she could offer. To be true.

Serena skipped ahead of them, clutching a plastic toy in her fist. They followed Raj into a smaller meeting room with a table surrounded by chairs. Once they were seated, the Ithorian faced the family. “Okay, let’s do this.” He rubbed his hands together. “Married?”

Yes.

“Employed?”

Uh… yeah.” Cato being a Jedi instructor counted, right? And Inanna still wrote books every now and then.

“Children?”

Just this one.” Inanna pointed to Serena, who held up her toy in response.

“Living situation?...”

The questions started to get more personal. What was your life like growing up, and what type of relationship did you have with your siblings and your parents? If you could change something that your parents did while raising you, what would it be? What would you and your spouse say are some of the strengths and weaknesses in your relationship?

The advice was pretty standard fare, but probably true. And they didn't really have the time to dwell on it further, before they were pulled away by Raj. The Ithorian brought them to a smaller office, and rattled off a series of simple questions, which Inanna answered in equally simple terms. If this is all it was, maybe this wouldn't be so bad.

"What was your life like growing up, and what type of relationship did you have with your siblings and parents?"

Cato blinked. A question they both had to answer? A complex one at that? He swallowed, "Well… My family was usually struggling to make ends meet. We lived paycheck to paycheck in a small house on Bonadan. I had one sibling, a sister, and we both did odd jobs to bring in some extra credits. But I had good relationships with her and my mom and dad. They always did their best to take care of us, and my sister and I looked out for each other. Eventually we were uh… surrendered to the Jedi, cause our parents thought it would give us better opportunities than what we had with them." He shrugged, "Eventually we reconnected. My dad passed, but, my mom lives on the Vonnuvi now, near us."

"If you could change something that your parents did while raising you, what would it be?"

Jeez. Cato sighed, "Uh… I think I'd start by living somewhere other than Bonadan," He tried to quip, but his heart wasn't really in it, "Got that covered already. I probably wouldn't have given up my kids to Jedi, but uh, I also don't really live in a situation where I'd have to." He didn't really like criticizing his parent's situation, seeing as much of it was out of their control, and done for their children's betterment. Even if it wasn't always the perfect answer.

"What would you and your spouse say are some of the strengths and weaknesses in your relationship?"

Cato blinked again, and looked at Inanna. He cleared his throat awkwardly. Hopefully they had the same answers, "Iiiii guess I would say… Strengths: We're both close to home. There's not a lot of long distance management between us. We're very committed. To each other. We work well together. Lift each other up, and all that. I'm a first time dad with Serena, but, Inanna has a lot of experience with raising kids. So that helps." He rubbed his neck, failing to think of something less cookie-cutter to say, "And we're very… loving," He shot another glance at Inanna. "Our relationship is very… healthy."

But he had to think up some weaknesses, too. That felt like treading over a minefield. "As for weaknesses… I… guess our different perspectives mean we don't always want to move through life at the same pace," Cato pursed his lips, "But ah… we're both ready to expand the family." After quite a bit of wearing down on his part. But they were too far along now for him to start peddling his doubts to their interviewer.

Inanna waited for Cato to answer before giving hers. “I grew up on Lao-mon, the Shi’ido homeworld. My father was a veteran Jedi Master and the sylarat, or clan chief, so we were very respected by the community. Our family was also fairly wealthy, and we lived in a big old mansion that had been in our clan for generations. I had six older brothers who had already left home, so I didn’t know them that well, and there were several decades in age between me and my one younger brother—I was the only girl. But I had a friend who was like another brother to me. He was my father’s nad’yim, which in our culture is like a protégé. He lived with us for part of every year, so that my father could tutor and train him. I was closest to him and to my mother growing up.” Since Cato had included the current whereabouts of his family in his response, she added, “Most of my family was killed by the Brotherhood of the Maw. My mother is very old, and her health isn’t good. She’ll probably die soon, too.

"If you could change something that your parents did while raising you, what would it be?"

Inanna sighed. “My father expected too much from me, and didn’t take what I wanted into account. I tried to make him happy, but I couldn’t, and that made me ashamed of myself. I wish he had listened to me rather than trying to mold me according to what he thought was best. Things might have turned out better that way.

When Cato mentioned that Inanna had a lot of experience raising kids, Raj turned to her. “You are not a first time mother, then?” he asked.

This is not the first time I’ve been married, either,” Inanna replied, rubbing the back of her neck. “They all died. My first husband, our daughter and our son. They were killed.

“Oh. I’m sorry for your loss.”

I know what it’s like to lose the ones you love to war, how senseless and unfair it feels,” she continued, no longer fidgeting but looking intensely at the Ithorian. “That’s one of the reasons why I’m here. Unfortunately, I can’t adopt all the galaxy’s war orphans—he wouldn’t let me.” She dipped her head in Cato’s direction, her tone briefly lightening. “But if I can give one child a home, a family, and love, that’s better than none.

As Raj asked about their relationship, Cato gave a somewhat generic answer. They didn’t have many problems, apart from those stemming from their difference in age.

"And we're very… loving."

Inanna thought about last night, smiled and nodded in agreement.

"Our relationship is very… healthy."

Inanna thought about that morning, smiled harder, and nodded again. Then she realized it was her turn to answer, yet here she was sitting there starry-eyed and grinning like an idiot. “Oh, uh…” She shrugged. “I am older than him, and sometimes he does seem more like a little boy than a man. But I don’t mind it too much. If anything, it makes things more fun. Besides, eventually our roles will be reversed, and he will be more mature than I am. Now that will be interesting.

“How would you describe your parenting style or disciplinary style?”

I used to think he was too tolerant with Serena, and that I was doing most of the disciplining. But, there is some merit to his patience. He disciplines her when it counts, and because it’s so rare for him to do that, she doesn’t forget it easily. The lesson sticks.

“How does Serena feel about you adopting a child, and what have you told her?”

We told her she was going to have a new baby brother.” Inanna looked at Serena. “She said she was excited earlier. Serena, are you still excited to be a big sister?

Uh?” The toddler paused in her play and looked around. Obviously she hadn't been paying much attention to their conversation. “Yeah. Where baby at?

Cato couldn't help but smirk himself, as he caught Inanna growing a pleasantly dazed expression. Though saying her husband sometimes seemed "more like a little boy than a man," made him cock an eyebrow. And again when she claimed he would one day be more mature than her, "You sure about that?" He nudged her in jest.

"How would you describe your parenting style or disciplinary style?"

Cato shrugged, "Inanna summed it up pretty succinctly, I think. Our different approaches balance each other out." She was effective with the day-to-day course corrections. But when something big went down, he was ready to lay down the law where it was needed. It wasn't needed too much, thankfully. Serena was a good kid. Definitely mischievous, but far from malicious. They must have been doing something right so far.

"How does Serena fell about you adopting a child, and what have you told her?"

Again, pretty much covered by Inanna, with some input from Serena. Cato chuckled, "A fair question, pinkie. But we have to show that we can be good parents for the baby first, okay?"

Serena shrugged, not really understanding the whole process, and went back to her toys, "...Okay."

"Just raring to go, that one," He chuckled again, "Ah— Anything else?"

"You sure about that?"

Oh yeah, I’m gonna stay young for longer than you will.” She wrapped an arm around him, stroking the nape of his neck with her fingertips. “And I know you’re changing, because I’ve seen it already happening right before my eyes. If you can grow this much in just three years, within a lifetime you’ll be a paragon of mature, rugged masculinity. And even if you don’t, well, I’ve got to see what you do become. So…” She kissed his cheek. “I’m not going anywhere.

After saying all that, she glanced back at Raj a little self-consciously. He had observed the heartfelt (and kinda hot, by human standards at least) exchange in silence, his Ithorian face impossible to read, before he nonchalantly resumed the interview.

"Ah— Anything else?"

“No. It is time for you to meet the child, actually.” Raj pressed a button, squinting at the holoscreen that then popped up. “He’s awake, so we’ll bring him to you.”

A couple minutes later, a nanny droid arrived holding a baby carrier. It carefully placed the carrier on the table facing Inanna and Cato. Inside was a baby, perhaps a few months old, with azure-blue skin. A few locks of silky black hair peeked out from underneath the hood of his infant-sized dinosaur costume.

Baby!” Serena exclaimed, immediately trying to climb on top of the table to touch him.

Hey, Serena.” Inanna grabbed her and sat her on her lap, holding her in place. “You gotta be gentle, okay?

Okay.” The toddler flailed with excitement, bouncing up and down on Inanna’s knee. “He’s blue!

Yeah.

Why is he blue?

Because he’s a Chiss.

The baby stared at them with wide crimson eyes. Meanwhile, Raj launched into a speech that sounded oddly like a sales pitch. “This baby’s not even a year old, brain’s still plastic, perfect for a first time adoptee. Teach him any language you want, culture, religion, lifestyle and habits, it doesn’t matter, because he doesn’t know anything. Go ahead and hold him, please, give it a go.”

Cato chuckled softly, “And you think I haven’t seen any change in you?” He leaned into the peck on his cheek, enjoying the little moment with his wife. Catching the blank gaze of the Ithorian man across from them, however, turned Cato a little more bashful. Maybe not quite the place for this particular aside.

“No. It is time for you to meet the child, actually.”

Cato blinked, “Oh. Well, sure,” That wasn't as bad as he thought. He straightened up, and anxiously awaited the baby’s arrival. A nanny droid brought him in soon after, placing a bascinet atop the desk. Within lied a Chiss infant, dressed in a hooded dinosaur onesie. Cato pursed his lips, unable to hide a smile at the adorable sight.

Raj gave them a sales pitch for the boy, which earned a raised brow. But he then offered for them to hold the baby, and Cato tentatively reached out a hand. He glanced back at Inanna-- He would have offered her to be the first to hold the baby, but she was currently preoccupied with Serena. And it would’ve been a little weird to be so insistent that he not take the opportunity to hold a child he intended to adopt and raise as his own.

Gently, Cato reached forward, lifting the little Chiss from his carrier and into his arms. The boy wriggled gently, overtaken by infantile curiosity, “Hey there…” Cato spoke softly, wiggling a finger in front of the child, who grabbed at it reactively, “Cool costume, kid.” He was a big dinosaur fan himself.

“Here,” Cato twisted, angling the baby slightly so that Inanna and Serena could see him.

Before Inanna could ask what exactly the change he had seen in her was, they were being hustled on behalf of a Chiss infant. Serena’s boisterous reaction turned out for the best, as Inanna having to restrain her meant that Cato was the one who got to hold the baby first.

Cato, who had lingering doubts about having another kid—and was also likely to melt like hot butter upon being presented with a cute little orphan baby.

Now to pray that the boy wouldn’t puke on him or otherwise ruin the moment. Right now he seemed quite fascinated with Cato’s finger, which he was holding tight in his tiny blue fist. He had a strong grip.

He has dinosaur jammies!” Serena remarked.

By the way, what’s the deal with the dino costume?” Inanna asked.

“It’s what he came in.” Raj shrugged. “We have dropoff sites in areas with large refugee populations where people can anonymously leave their babies, y’know, if they can’t take care of them or whatever. Now, normally we try to talk to the person who drops off the kid before they leave, ask them some questions, make sure they’re okay. But Cindy was on duty that time and that dumb bi—uh, unprofessional female wasn’t paying attention.” He blinked. “Anyway, we call him Rex.”

I wanna,” Serena held out her arms, clearly indicating that she wanted to hold baby Rex, who was currently preoccupied with staring intently up at Cato and aggressively gnawing on his fingers.

Inanna glanced at Cato, then shrugged. “As long as you’re very, very gentle with him, and don’t drop him.

Okay,” Serena said, clapping her hands. “Gimme dat baby, Daddy!” Belatedly, she added, "Please."

Cato raised a brow as the Ithorian explained the kid's clothes, which partially devolved into a rambling complaint about his coworker. Frankly, he almost found the unironic use of calling someone a "female" in casual conversation to be more of a red flag that what Raj was originally going to say. Not that it would have exactly been professional, "…Riiight." He turned his attention back to the child, a soft smiling returning.

The kid was cute. No denying that. As if things were still up in the air. What was he gonna do, suddenly back out on giving this baby a family? Technically possible, but anyone who knew Cato knew it was far too late for him to shirk the responsibility.

I wanna,

Cato glanced up at Serena, his smile tinged by nervousness. Inanna relented to the toddler's request, which of course meant that now Cato had to as well, "…Okay. Gentle, honey," He held out the baby to methodically place him in her arms, leaving his hands underneath afterwards, just in case a slip up were to occur, "What do you think?"

Inanna’s eyebrows rose in sympathy at the unfortunate story. “Poor baby…” she murmured, turning her gaze back to the Chiss, who was still sucking on his hand. “Do your fingers taste good?

Seeing as Rex did not stop his hand-eating, the answer was evidently yes.

Inanna also hovered over Serena as the baby was laid in her lap, instructing her where to place her hands so that his head would be supported. Once that was done, the two year old was surprisingly gentle, cradling him in her arms. “He so little,” she remarked, even though Rex was arguably more than half her size.

You used to be that little.

Entranced with her soon-to-be kid brother, Serena hugged Rex close and pressed her lips to his forehead. After that, though, she was pretty much over it. Inanna scooped him up right when she started to push him away, laying him against her chest. She was open and unreserved with her affection, kissing his neck and bumping her nose against his playfully. He pulled his hands out of his mouth and grabbed at her face; she let him do it, not caring about the saliva on his fingers.

So, Cato.” She glanced over at her husband. “What do you think? Is this your—oop.” Rex had begun tugging on her collar, trying to pull it down to get at the goods underneath. “Sorry, I don't have anything for you." She laughed. "It looks like he’s hungry.

The nanny droid approached, ready to take him, but Inanna held back. “Can we feed him?” she asked.

“Eh,” Raj answered. “Sure, why not.”

"Littler than that," Cato remarked. Serena had been a wee thing when she first arrived. Now she was soon to be a sibling, and held the young Rex with surprising gentleness. Her two-year-old attention only last so long, though, and before long she was ready to hand him off to someone else. That someone being Inanna, who happily hoisted him up to eye-level. Cato smiled at the scene.

So, Cato. What do you think? Is this your—oop."

He snapped to attention, raising a brow when she was abruptly cut off. The boy tried to get a quick snack, making him chuckle. Raj was okay with them taking the opportunity to feed Rex themselves. The nanny droid retrieved a bottle which Cato took and then offered to Inanna. Already, he was reaching for the sight with grasping little fingers.

Yeah,” Inanna murmured in agreement. Serena had been a newborn, after all. Thinking about how small she had been caused a memory to resurface of finding Cato, halfway in or out of his Moonlighter costume, holding Serena to his chest. She could even remember exactly where he had been standing in the living room of the old Narsh apartment. The window had been open. That was in the very early days, when he was still getting used to having a baby and didn’t seem to know when to put her down. Or couldn’t bear to.

She took the bottle from him and held it up for Rex to latch onto. Once he started eating, she looked at Cato again. “You’re being very quiet,” she said. “I assume you’re not having second thoughts. So what’s going on in that head of yours?

Serena, meanwhile, suddenly decided that she was hungry as well and began pestering her father for snacks.

Cato laid his attention on the young boy now snacking away at the contents of the bottle, until Inanna spoke once more, earning his eyes one more, "A bit too late for second thoughts, don't you think?" He tried to dismiss with a lax smirk, but wasn't really convincing himself either, "Not much. Just thinking about… what comes after, for us," He shrugged awkwardly at her expectant gaze, "I guess I don't really know what you want from me right now." Was she looking for some specific reaction? Something unsaid that he'd yet to voice?

Serena poked at him from the other side, making grabby hands, "Pleeease?" Cato glanced over, but didn't turn his head; Simply reached into his pocket and pulled out a baggy of small cheesy crackers, "Thank you!" She snatched it, and immediately began to chomp away at her snacks.

I just want to know what you’re thinking,” she said. “We’re not going to keep calling him Rex, are we?” Not as a given name, she hoped. The nickname might stick. Chiss names were a pain, so that was off the table. “We could name him after your father, like we named Serena after your mother.

Not long after he’d begun, the baby unlatched from the bottle. “Done already?” Inanna asked. “You just wanted a snack, huh.

He shrieked in answer, then continued to make staccato baby talk even while she was patting his back. Serena found this funny and laughed with a mouth full of cheese crackers.

While the two toddlers continued to babble and giggle, Raj finally spoke. “So… When do you want him?”

Now,” Inanna answered. She looked over at Cato. “Can we take him home today?

Last edited:
"I hope not," Cato admitted. Rex was a cutesy nickname, but he wasn't all that interested in making it the legal name of his child. He shrugged at the suggestion of his father's name as well, "I dunno. Feels weird to name them both after my parents. Maybe as a middle name?" He pursed his lips in contemplation, struggling to come up with good names on the spot, "What about you?" He suddenly asked, unintentionally vague, "I mean like— What if we named him something Shi'ido? Could be after a family member or, just something else." It made sense in his mind. If Serena was essentially "carrying on" a piece of the Harth side of the family, it stood to reason that perhaps their son could do the same for the Hoole side. The two kids shared a humorous little moment, interrupted by Raj's next question.

“So… When do you want him?”

Now,” Inanna answered. She looked over at Cato. “Can we take him home today?

Cato looked back at Inanna, then to Raj, and shrugged, "…Yeah. Sure. Today, if we can."

Yeah, Rex Leo Harth… actually sounds pretty awesome, but I don’t want to saddle him with a name like that.” She squished her lips against a chubby blue cheek. “Nobody’s going to bully my baby because I picked a silly name, hm?

Cato suggested a Shi’idese name. “Toloth Harth?” she asked, wincing. Too many th sounds. “I wouldn’t name him after my father. Hm… I like Arimanes, Ashur, and Sinuhe.” Any of those would pair well with Leo Harth, she thought.

Once Cato gave his approval, Raj shrugged. “All right. Both of you just sign this form, and he’s yours.” He held out a datapad.

Inanna took it first, signing the form as the baby reached for the stylus. He whined when she handed it off to Cato. “Feels kind of like buying a starship,” she muttered with a snort, holding up a finger for her son to play with in lieu of the stylus. "Except it's a person you're signing on to love." She was trying not to cry, but there were tears in her eyes as she smiled down at him.

This was how it began, with a little girl and a baby boy. She knew it wouldn’t happen the same way as it did last time. Maybe this would give her some closure and help the old wound to heal.

Rex Leo Harth certainly would have been theatrical. But Cato found the names Inanna put forth to be more appealing, "Ashur is nice. Ashur Leo Harth?" He shrugged. It worked. Ashur struck a nice balance between being Shi'do and also being accessible, for lack of a better term, to others.

Then, it was just a matter of signing off on the adoption. Two signatures were the final hurdle in their way from adding another to their family. A son. It was almost amusing to view the transactional process of it all, but that perspective was overshadowed. Cato found himself wondering what the kid's life might have been like. What his parents were like, and why they weren't here now. Or what might happen if someone else were to adopt him. He was aware of the weight this decision, acutely so. It was why he had been so hesitant to begin with. But something else almost seemed to register as he noticed tears forming in Inanna's eyes. The importance of this not just for the child, but for her. Especially her.

And it was with a new sense of resoluteness, that Cato signed the pad, and handed it back to Raj. He then leaned in by his wife, enveloping her and the boy in his arms, "Welcome to the family, Ashur. Son." Serena, not to be ignored, came in to join the hug herself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom