Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Failure on Foerost

Timeline: Sometime after Galactic Alliance dominion of Foerost
Kora Zavo

Br8YpBr.png

The Galactic Alliance's dominion of Foerost had gone as well as they would have hoped, at least it had on initial inspection, if one dug a little deeper there had been many more issues than the GA would like to admit, especially if you cared to dig deeper into the mess that was the downed star destroyer. After an initial scouting mission of the long forgotten wreckage had resulted in the loss of all but one of the squadron, fearing the ship housed an ancient Sith artefact that would cause untold misery on the galaxy if it was allowed to fall into the wrong hands, the GA launched a massive operation.

A mixture of Jedi and the Defence Force's finest operatives entered the ship with two objectives, locate any surviving members of the initial scouting squadron and to retrieve the ancient artefact. The Jedi were mainly tasked with the latter objective with the former in the hands of the Defence Force. The mission had been cursed from the get go, rarely was it ever advised to walk into a den of Rakghoul's, but that is what all those on the mission did, following the orders of men and women who wouldn't be getting their hands dirty.

Camo Orerig was one of the unlucky souls tasked with finding any remaining survivors, he had entered the ship with one of the strike teams, initially all seemed to be going reasonably well for them despite the issues some of the others on the ship faced. That didn't last long though. The fell beasts had overwhelmed them, preying on the fear that the place seemed to radiate. As the only surviving member of his strike team, and with no found survivors, Camo found himself with his own set of orders to follow. Survive.

Unfortunately Camo succumbed to the pressures of the Rakghouls, alone and being chased down by a horde of the Sithspawn the ranger made an uncharacteristic error and found himself weaponless and on the brink of passing out, as a last act of defiance he had used a grenade in the hope of taking as many with him as he could. Thankfully for Camo he survived the blast, although he was not aware of it, he'd passed out before the blast.

Unfortunately for Camo that is where the good luck ended, the blast had left him deafened from the proximity and a massive shard of durasteel had become an unwanted passenger lodged in his thigh, threatening to sever his femoral artery, if it hadn't already. They probably weren't the only two injuries he had sustained but, they were the only ones he'd registered when he had come around, he then managed to send out a mayday message and prop himself up, slowly retrieving his weapon with the intention of going down fighting. He hadn't banked on blacking out again, whether it was the blow to the head again or the probable loss of blood was unclear, but things did not look good for Camo Orerig.

An unknown amount of time later.

The beasts were closing in on him, he fumbled with the items on his bandoliers, finally he located it, the world around him was starting to blur, it was getting darker, he threw it, or rather it rolled helplessly into the direction of the beasts, and then white light. Only this time he didn't pass out, this time his vision started to come back slowly, this time it was going to be different. In fact it was different. This wasn't Foerost, or was it? It certainly wasn't the downed star destroyer. The white light hadn't been the blast of the grenade he had thrown, but a light shining down on him. He hadn't been fumbling with item's on his bandoliers, they were straps. He was strapped to something, with a light above him blinding him. Was he dead? He probably should be but no, Camo wasn't dead. But if he wasn't dead what was this place? He tried to look around but everything was still fuzzy, and the light wasn't helping that. He raised an arm to shield his face, or at least he would have if he hadn't been strapped to whatever it was he was strapped to. He struggled against his bindings, but he didn't have the strength to carry on his fight. What is this place? Before he had time to work that out a door nearby hissed and slid open. It hissed. It hissed which meant Camo heard it, "Hello?" his voice seemed to reverberate around the room, "Who are you? where am I?"

OOC: This is a follow on from the GA dominion of Foerost. It's my intention for Camo to have been rescued by someone (anyone want to jump in on that? Message me) and then currently undgoing medical attention

K.Z.

K
Kora had found herself part of a medical crew dispatched with Alliance forces to Foerost, and hadn't gotten entangled with any conflict involving the GA's dominion of their latest expansion (thank the gods). Combat was, or ought to be, none of this nurse's business anyway. Her skills were much more needed and demanded of her in the medcenter, where the young woman worked tirelessly, not just catering to those Alliance military, but even some of the locals of Foerost as well, who passed through the GADF-commandeered medical facility on Hajibar.

Camo Orerig Camo Orerig was no different from the countless bodies Nurse Zavo had tended to and was currently tending to, that day. Donning the full-body white of her nurse's uniform, her black hair pinned back in a tight bun, Kora entered the recovery wing to perform her routine check-up of those patients assigned to her. It was while she was immersed in her task, checking IV lines and recording vitals, that Kora heard one of the patients calling out to her, and she glanced over, seeing the Human male stir against his bindings. Looks like the man's sedatives were wearing off, emerging from his induced sleep after surgery.

"It's alright, stay still," Kora assured, walking over to the man's bedside to calm him. Despite the strain of her workload, coping with the sick, wounded, and dying all around her, she didn't let the weight of it show, behind her gentle composure. "You're at the hospital in Hajibar, on Foerost," she spelled out for him. "I'm one of the nurses here, from the Alliance. You're safe here."

Orerig, Camo—She had read the patient's medical file beforehand, along with matching identification records that had popped up on her datapad, as soon as the Ranger had been wheeled into the recovery wing, a few hours prior. It was a little boost of morale to brighten up Kora's face, seeing the man come around, knowing that he was one more that would make it, apart from so many others she hadn't been able to save.

"Good to see you awake." She smiled kindly. "Those bindings are for precaution," she pointed out with a note of humor, before explaining seriously. "You've just been through surgery and your leg needs time to heal." She motioned to the man's bandaged, right thigh. "It's quite common for traumatic patients to react before they're fully conscious, and if they aren't strapped down, they'll move and tear something before we can explain that it's important to be still," she emphasized, eying Orerig warily. "I trust you'll stay put?"

Once she was confident the man wouldn't be hopping up out of bed anytime soon, Kora would remove the bindings, to give his arms and one good leg freedom of movement.

"The doctor will be with you shortly, to check up on you. Then perhaps a food tray is in order?" She half-commented the 'food' part to herself, just now thinking about her empty stomach as she typed in a few notes on her datapad to update the latest on Orerig's status.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a woman who had entered, Camo's vision was still impeded by how bright the place was, a stark contrast to the star destroyer he'd had his accident on. She explained he was still on Foerost, in a hospital in Hajibar, that meant his mayday had been answered, but by whom? Before he had chance to ask that question she explained the bindings and the importance of staying where he was, he nodded taking in everything she was saying, she had a calming tone, one that made you trust her, that and the fact she was a nurse.

"I promise I won't go on a walk anywhere" he smirked as he looked at his heavily bandaged leg, "Not that I could if I wanted too" he laughed as the haze of suddenly waking up seemed to melt away, his vision slowly returning to its normal state, "it's just good to be awake, and be able to hear things, last thing I remember was not being able to move because off the leg and whatever else was wrong with me but the worst thing was not being able to hear anything" he shook his head as he swore he heard a high-pitched squeal from somewhere, an after effect of the explosion maybe?

"Did the mission go OK?" he wasn't sure if the nurse would be privy to that information but it was natural to ask what the outcome had been, after pausing for a moment Camo carried on asking questions, hopefully she was ready to be interrogated! "What happened to me? Last thing I remember was waking up on that ship, realizing I was compromised and sending out an SOS, after that nothing until I wake up here" it made him feel useless that not only had he failed his mission, he had been rescued like a helpless civilian, a mixture of shame and anger welled up inside of him, he clenched his fists but controlled himself and didn't let it spill over, besides the nurse was here to help him and it wasn't his intention to make her day any worse than it probably already was.

"Is it just the leg I need to worry about? What kind of damage am I looking at?" he looked at the nurse waiting for what was inevitably bad news, having said that Camo always prepared for the worst, anything above that was then a bonus. He shook his head again as the high-pitched squeal made a reappearance.

"Food sounds good" he replied realizing only now how hungry he was, his stomach growled, he was sure loud enough that the nurse would have heard too, "I never caught your name sorry, what was it again?"

K.Z.

K
"Which one?" Kora tugged a small smirk of amusement, despite her puzzled expression when Orerig asked about "the mission". What mission was he referring to, exactly? Kora wasn't aware of much else going on outside the medcenter, though she supposed if the "worst" were to happen concerning the Alliance's occupation of Foerost, no alarms for an emergency evacuation had reached her ears yet. Which meant the GA's "mission" must have been a success, if all was still running smoothly (what a nurse would define as "smoothly" for her line of work) at the hospital in Hajibar. Whatever other "missions" revolving around the GA's military was beyond her department to be concerned about.

She hesitated uncertainly. "I'm…afraid I don't know the details of your mission, sorry." She hated to disappoint Orerig with unanswered questions. "Though I'm sure someone in your group will come for you and give you the latest update." She flashed a look of apology, before perking up, hoping to encourage the man with better news. "But as far as I know, I'd say our mission was a success…" Ranger or nurse, both of them were still on the same team, serving the Alliance, even if Kora hadn't participated on the battlefield. "…if everything's still standing here..." She hinted to the quietness of the room and patient beds around them. "…very much thanks to you." She nodded her heartfelt appreciation at Orerig. Regardless of how big or small the Ranger's role was, Kora still owed her life and freedom to him no less than any other member of the military. Because of them, she had not been the one out fighting.

The man's questions didn't faze Kora. Being a good listener was part of the job. Again, it was all news to her. As much as she wanted to ask Orerig more about his whereabouts and events leading up to him waking up at the hospital, it wouldn't be very professional of her to ask while at the workplace. Where the Ranger came from and how he got here was a mystery to her, but whatever recollections he had to say about it, Kora doubted she was the one qualified to be dabbling in such information, which ought to be confided to other military personnel, those that knew more about Orerig's doings than she.

Kora shook her head. "I didn't see you come in, unfortunately. I don't know what happened to you out there. I'll ask the front though, and I'm sure whoever saw you and whoever brought you in, I'll...let you know what I find out." No task was too menial or out of her way for her to do, if it meant seeing to the comfort of her patients. She could sense the man's frustration and guilt behind those subtle cues of tone and gesture. Like most proud soldierly types, he didn't aim to be here. Kora could sympathize, bearing the same weight of responsibility and failure towards her own passion as a nurse.

When he asked about the extent of his injuries, Kora replied, "The doctor will fill you in on everything, but according to your file, just your leg, is the only main concern." She didn't want to risk dishing out false hope, in case the doctor might have something otherwise to say.

"Kora. Zavo." Her name, written in Aurebesh, was displayed on the chest of her uniform. Regardless if the man had vision problems or not, Kora would still say it aloud for him. "Nurse Kora, Nurse Zavo, Miss Kora, Miss Zavo," she listed out, stifling a chuckle. "Whichever your pick. And how shall I address you?" She asked him in return. Of course she had the file in front of her, but it was also standard procedure to ask a patient for their name, in case they might have suffered memory loss.

Unfortunately, her busy schedule wouldn't allow much time for Kora to talk to a single patient for long, and she'd shortly excuse herself from Orerig's bedside. Not that she didn't enjoy the conversation, but there were other places to go, people to see… Other areas of the hospital she had to rush back and forth to.

She would eventually return, accompanying a green female Twi'lek by the name of Dr. Gorvat, who would give Orerig the rundown. Several lacerations had required some stiches, none so serious as his right leg, which had been the focal point of surgery. Thanks to a convenient supply of bacta patches, the healing process was expected to go smoothly, and Orerig ought to be on his feet in the next few days. With no other complications to be seen, Dr. Gorvat cleared the man good to go, as soon as he could walk again.

Kora would then bring the food tray around, setting it on Orerig's bed table.

"If you will excuse me, I have other work to attend to." She smiled cordially. "But if you'll be around for a few days, I expect we'll be seeing each other more often." Kora couldn't guarantee how much time she'd have for chatting, but Orerig would definitely be seeing her company around the recovery wing, until he was well enough to travel.

Camo hadn't really expected the nurse to know the ins and outs of the GA's miliatary operations but it was worth a shout, he also hadn't really expected an answer when it came to who had recovered him from the star destroyer, that was a question for a different day it seemed.

"Orerig, Camo Orerig, but you already know that" he replied with a smile, "well nurse Kora Zavo" he purposefully chose one of the options she hadn't mentioned, his smile widening, "I'd like to say it's a pleasure to meet you but, truth be told I'd rather not be here, although that's nothing to do with your bedside manner which is impeccable" he let out a small laugh before allowing her to carry on her checks and move onto her other patients.

Time passed with Camo becoming more frustrated with the wait for the doctor, he felt like a waste of space here, filling up a bed that could otherwise be used for someone who needed it more than him. Admittedly he hadn't tried out his leg for fear of making things worse but surely he hadn't done that much damage, had he?

Just as he was about to give up Kora returned with a Twi'lek by the name Dr. Gorvat, she explained the damage that had been done, and the work to repair it, he would be forever thankful for the work they had done on him, he would also be forever disappointed that he'd allowed himself to be compromised in such a way. "Thank you" he said as she finished her explanation, "Really thank you, you guys are incredible, if there is ever anything I can do to repay you please don't hesitate to get in touch" he knew the offer would effectively fall on deaf ears, but he truly meant it, although it may not look it based on the mess he got himself into, Camo was a very good soldier, capable of pretty much anything, and he would always look out for those that looked out for them, even if it was their job so to speak.

The next few days passed by with Camo working on his ability to walk again, it had been hard initially to put pressure on his wounded leg, the other injuries didn't trouble him, just the leg, it felt unnatural at first, but the more he persevered the better it got to the point where he could walk again with only a slight hint of a limp and that was good enough for the medical professionals to move him on. He knew he had to keep working at his leg to get the movement back that he had once had, after all he didn't want it failing on him out in the field but all in all it could have been much worse.

He thanked all those who had helped him over the couple of days he'd been awake, and made for the exit, making sure to catch Kora on his way out, "Hey, I meant what I said the other day, if you ever need help just send me a message, the GA will know where to find me I'm sure" he smiled, saluted her and left the ward and the hospital. Foerost wasn't necessarily a bad place, but it would be a long time before Camo ever returned here, or at least untill someone ordered him here which was more likely, he took a look around and headed towards some of the GA building situated not to far away, he'd arrived by GA Shuttle so didn't have his ship with him, "I knew that had been a bad idea" he though to himself as he limped away.

Fin​

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom