Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Related Questions: Creating 'Past' Items

I've got a few questions regarding making 'past items' (items that have existed for some time/everyone who worked on them/made them are dead). Uh, hopefully I can word these moderately properly. Bare with me here. How exactly does one go about making a dev thread for something that was built some time ago? The reason I'm asking is because I was hoping to make some Nyxai heirlooms, but I wasn't sure how exactly to go about it, especially with the few items that have special-ish properties. At this point I know for sure that at least two would require a restricted item dev thread and at least one will require a thread with alchemy. Do I need someone else to work with me on those dev threads? Or, since all the characters involved would be NPCs (since it would take place quite some time ago, before most of the PCs on the site were alive), could I do that thread by myself? Is that a thing? That can be done?

There's probably something else I'm forgetting...
As a note, here's a list of items I'm hoping to (at this point) make. In addition I will mention that only one of these is intended to end up in my hands, while the others are to be given out on a sort of... treasure hunt thing.
  • A crown. Special properties: Fancy jewels that can be sold, has a hidden compartment for a data chip or other small item. Made of durable metal, but can still be broken moderately easily.
  • A shield. Special properties: Made of lightsaber resistant material (probably Beskar or Phrik). This item is intended to have a sort of 'energy catcher' on the front, something that draws electricity (like force lightning) to it, absorbs it, and stores it. The means for this are still being researched.
  • A sword. Special properties: Either made of lightsaber resistant material or imbued with alchemy to get the same result. Styled like a scimitar with traditional beads hanging from the end of the hilt.
  • A ring. Special properties: Has the Nyx family crest (also called the Nyxai Crest) engraved on the top. Twisting the base causes a spike to pop out, which can be used in emergencies (or you can just punch someone while wearing the spiked ring and laugh as their face bleeds).
  • A holo-journal. Special properties: Nothing really. It would just have information on the Nyxai family and potentially battle tactics + basics in one or two areas of the force. Likely just the former though. More for fun story purposes than actual practical use. Because.
  • A mask. Special properties: This is the item that would end up in Nyx's (as in her allies') hands. The mask is to be made of phrik and treated with alchemy. Originally the mask belonged to her grandfather, Drosk Ssolas Nyx, who was a famous Imperial general (though he started out as a Private, of course). When he first received it as a gift for protecting his commanding officer (a now-unimportant Sith Lord) it was simply a lightsaber resistant piece of face-wear meant to inspire fear in his enemies. Once upon a time it was able to be attached to Drosk's custom helmet, but the helm has since been lost (it's believed it was destroyed when Dromand Kaas was crushed by the Mandalorians). After many years it was further upgraded. This allowed the user to 'zoom in' (explanation pending. Think Corvo's mask in Dishonored), mask some of their presence in the force (potentially to be swapped for a calming/focusing effect; caused by alchemy), and it could only be used by someone with Nyxai blood (think the way that certain lightsaber crystals make it so the blade can only be used by the person who made it). Obviously this is the one I've put the most thought into, and is, understandably, the most important. It would also require the most work (I'll probably recruit the help of 1-2 other writers, if not more, to help with a past dev thread for this one, even if a solo thread is deemed okay for this one).
​Now if I can list my actual questions in a way that makes sense to both myself and whoever reads this...
  1. Do dev threads that are set a long ways back in the timeline require multiple writers, even though all characters inside them are NPCs?
  2. Would the NPCs involved in this need a Codex submission? Especially whatever NPC would end up doing the bulk of the alchemy involved? I should probably be asking this in the codex section. Oh well.
  3. If anyone knows of electricity absorbing technology, and could link me to some stuff, I'd really appreciate it. In fact I'd owe you one or two or three.
  4. How much force could a force ghost force if a force ghost could ghost force? This is not an actual inquiry. I'm tired and can't remember what I was actually going to ask here. Oops. Forgive me.
  5. Actual question: What's the generally recommended process for making old/past items? Is there one? Have people done this sort of thing before? Are there examples I can look at? Any general recommendations for this? Advice is appreciated.

1. If the requirement for the dev thread is stipulated as multiple writers, yes; in all other cases, no.
  2. No. NPCs in the codex are entirely optional - unless the species banned/restricted list is involved in which case those need one.
  3. Not sure on this.
  4. :|
  5. Just post one as if it were in the past. Same way you would a normal dev, just with either different people or a younger you.
[member="Drapeam Nyx"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom