Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Eye for an Eye

Tags: Ko Vuto Ko Vuto

Ilo was excited. So excited she didn't seem to care about the giant leather bag she was carrying on the right hand as they walked through the temple, full of electronic and metallic components, many more than what they needed in order to build the shoto Ko intended. By the time they arrived to the bank anteroom where the Kyber Crystals were stored, she had already filled the Kel Dor with silly questions: "What kind of emitter would you like?" or "Rounded, squared, sawed-off? What about the activator? Are you a small silver switch or big old red button kind of person?"

Although her feeling-sensitive tendrils could tell the fellow padawan wasn't in the best of his spirits, her joy obscured — or enlightened — her senses. She rushed to one of the study tables and dropped the package, with some of the parts jumping off the partly opened bag, which were promptly re-thrown into it. She started setting up a workbench, with a support for when the saber started being built.

"I haven't asked you why you want a shoto. They're kind of difficult to use, aren't they? I'm still working on how to handle a single lightsaber, now two of them? That's too much for my little brain." Ilo pointed out ironically.

She started organizing the parts available for selection by two categories: firstly size, secondly color. Even though it was difficult for her to differentiate small details with Force Vision, Aduni knew her little "arsenal" by heart. The padawan liked to do it with her eyes closed, which was kind of disturbing for the unadvised.

"I brought mostly shoto parts, but if you really like one of the bigger-boy parts, we can always do some modifications." Aduni didn't bother opening her eyes to speak, even less looking at Ko.

Tags: Ilo Aduni Ilo Aduni

Z9U36lL.png
Ko was slowly but surely getting better at being able to use his other senses to help him get around and function. Starting to sense things with greater clarity. Braze was already helping to share what they’d learned from their training with Ko. The Kel Dor was aware of a few individuals in the order who shared such a disability. But Ko has not yet grown confident enough to do much outside of the temple. Which was part of why he was looking to build a new weapon for himself.

He sensed the arrival of Ilo, a fellow padawan he had not yet had the pleasure of getting to really know. He was already sitting at the workbench, but didn’t anticipate them dropping the bag on it so suddenly. Cause Ko’s body to jump some in response to it. He ‘looked’ up to the nautolan padawan after she asked why he was interested in crafting a Shoto. She seemed to wanna get straight to business, he could appreciated that.

“Hmm, well I don’t wanna outright replace my old lightsaber. I know it’s still out there and I wanna get it back. I’ve kinda been meaning to get myself a smaller secondary weapon, especially now. Something for rapid deployment to deflect blasters and maybe throw sometimes.” Ko recalled a prior discussion with his master after being taken in as her padawan. Who criticized him discarding away his main weapon with saber throws. Which often left himself vulnerable afterwards. So getting a side weapon to use for that instead would likely serve him well in the future. But Ko hoped his words would answer Ilo’s question.

He didn’t mind the fact that she had her eyes closed and wasn’t even looking at him. Mainly because he couldn’t tell that she wasn’t looking at him. Not yet at least, his Force Sight still had a ways to go. “My first was eventually designed with the sleek and ergonomic styling of a classic Fireband lightsaber hilt. The large pommel worked well for my hands.” Ko said, before casually holding up his clawed four fingered hands to get the point across. “I always imagined that whenever I finally got around to crafting a shoto it would just look like a smaller version of that. But now I’m not so sure.”

The word "Firebrand" worked as an ignition to Ilo's mind. In a matter of seconds, she could already assemble a prototype version with the exception of the crystal. That kind of weapon was pretty much handbook-standard and the Nautolan had practiced building uncountable Firebrands while helping younglings. She positioned the design on the workbench.

With the help of her tendrils allied to her natural empathy, she could literally feel the bad feelings blooming out of Vuto's lost saber story as he said it. The padawan tried not to be incisive, but couldn't hold some words.

"Sorry to hear that about your old saber, and I respect... your respect for it. You know... not just building another one. I really love to design sabers, but Penny is my one and only." Ilo tapped her lightsaber, not at all feeling the need to explain why she named her weapon. "I used to lose her a lot when I was a youngling and still couldn't understand how too see through the Force very well. Now, I can even locate Penny through walls sometimes. I'm sure you'll get the ring of it when you find yours. I can even help you looking for it. Do you have any idea where it could be?"

While talking, Ilo didn't stop fiddling with parts for a single minute. She organized some groups of alternative options for the shoto on the bench, making sure to clearly separate them in order to Ko to see them better.

"We've got some options. Firstly, we could just miniaturize the prototype with these parts right here" She raised some pieces of metal with the Force, creating a floating, near-perfect miniaturized replica of a Firebrand. "However, I think Firebrands are quite non-aerodynamical for you to throw, they're too heavy and thick at the bottom, near the pommel."

She reached for the bag and grabbed some extra, unorthodox parts.

"Option one: we could use a thick but hollow pommel and keep the overall shape of the weapon. Two: we could use a different pommel, maybe a long and curved one to help you manuever the saber in mid-air and still make it comfortable for your hands. Three: We could keep the thick and hard pommel and use lighter sleeves, but I think that would make it hard to master as a throwing weapon. But these are suggestions, of course, the parts are here." As Aduni gave her opinions, she showed every part by making it float with the Force.

Z9U36lL.png
He was a little surprised that she seemed to quickly understand what he meant when he mentioned the style of hilt he made for himself. Normally if anyone asked, which nobody normally did, he’d need to explain some of the details. But Ilo was already familiar. Ko figured that was a testament to how well she knew her stuff. “You name your lightsaber? You remind me of my Master, she does the same thing with her weapons.” Ko replied with a soft chuckle.

Hearing her express her condolences Ko let out a bit of a sigh. “I know that Jedi aren’t supposed to let themselves get too attached to things. But there’s still that bond between a Jedi and their lightsaber. Well specifically the crystal I guess.” At the end of the day it was more so the crystal that he wanted to get back. The hilt could always be remade but every crystal was unique. Even if this was just some unremarkable Adegan Crystal.

Ko was a little surprised at her offer to help him find it. He already greatly appreciated her help now. Still being unable to craft a weapon for himself being blind. So he found her offer to be quite kind. But after hearing the question that followed, he thought for a moment.
“Well, my saber was taken from me by an opponent I faced back in the recent battle on Ryloth. From my understanding she was arrested afterwards. So if I could, I might need to question her about it.” Other than that Ko’s best guess would be that it was still left behind on Ryloth. If so it’s possible that some scavenger has sold it to the black market.

After that he listened to Ilo and began to explain some ideas about what to do for the shoto. Mentioning how it would be hard to throw with the hilt’s weight distribution. Sensing the floating pieces that Ilo presented. “Yeah, I remember it being a problem for me when I was making it myself. Fortunately since it was a bit thicker it wasn't too difficult to more evenly distribute the weight across it. Might need to see if we can do that again here. Which kinds just sounds like the first option you mentioned.”

For the first time in a while, Ilo moved her head towards Ko, "looking" through the Force directly to him. She had a raised eyebrow, in some kind of surprise.

"Of course I name my saber. Don't you had a name for yours? I think that was Jedi 101. They did tell me about the no-attachment stuff, but I prefer the 'This lightsaber is your life' motto, because then I can really care about Penny. And sabers in general. They're more reliable than a lot of people!" She said, tragically.

After that, she listened to the story about Ryloth while assembling the Firebrand shoto with the hollow piece as a pommel. Aduni made sure to bond them with a micro weld, making sparks run wild around the padawan. A normal person should wear specific goggles for the task, but her big black eyes logically didn't seem to care much about the blinding light.

"Things got pretty wild at Ryloth, didn't they? Didn't have the honor to be there though, but you should really question the prisoner about the saber. Worst case scenario we'll go on a wild ride to the Outer Rim and rescue your old pal. By the way, here's your shoto. A first version of it, of course." She said, offering him the hilt. It was ready, apart from the crystal.

Ilo didn't even think about being inconvenient and intrusive when she said "we" about the hypothetical trip. For her, Ko's lost saber story had become a personal matter, even though they barely knew each other. It didn't matter: the Nautolan was quick to befriend and even quicker to claim others' battles as her battles too.

"How are things going with Force Vision?" She asked, while the Kel Dor examined the shoto. "A good trick is to use your other senses too, because when you don't have one, the others are kind of bumped up. I know you should use the Force, but notice how your touch is also more powerful now. You can create a schema for the object in your head if you concentrate and touch it enough."

Z9U36lL.png
Ko could sense that she was actually looking at him now. The Kel Dor shook his head some. “No not really, I never really thought about naming my saber before. But I get what you mean. It’s been difficult since I’ve lost my saber, so I think there’s more truth in that motto than most realize.” Not to mention that back in the day lightsabers were one of the limited ways that many jedi could express themselves in their design. Uniquely shaping their design and function. Which Ko found a little funny since he based his off an old standardized design from centuries ago.

The only way that Ko knew that Ilo was applying micro welds to the hilt was from the sound and pulses of heat from it. The two padawans did not need any goggles or masks to shield themselves from the blinding light it created. Hearing Ilo’s words about Ryloth Ko let out a bit of a sigh and nodded. “Yeah, wild is one way to put it. But you weren’t missing out on much I would say. I never even got to go where I was needed.”

Ko was still a little surprised that she was so set on helping him find his saber. Especially after being advised by others to just craft a new one for himself. It was a somewhat heartwarming change of pace for him.

He perked up some when she asked how things were going with his Force Sight. It was more difficult for him than he thought. But Ko also had enough sense to recognize that he wasn’t really feeling himself since losing his eyesight. “It’s… coming along, slowly but surely. I still feel like there’s some hurdles that are making it difficult. Keeping things fuzzy, and cloudy.” Ko elaborated, sharing how things were going for him. He grabbed the small shoto hilt. His clawed hands feel it’s small yet familiar shape. The image of it through The Force suddenly became much clearer as he made physical contact with the item as he rotated it around in his grip. “So far the ground and floor are what I’ve always had the most clear image of. Maybe because my feet are always making contact with it.” It was also possible that it was because it was an element he had the most affinity towards. Stubborn but sturdy, like he often was.

While Ilo listened to Ko struggles with Force Vision, she could only partially relate. As a blind and Force-sensitive child, this spatial awareness is one she developed without much effort, even more when she learned to meditate and reflect upon the Force in a conscious way rather than an innact aid. On the other hand, some specific aspects of it were still a struggle she also needed to learn from. Finally, though, Aduni didn't feel so alone about that.

"It's hard for me to put in words how, but sooner than you think, you'll be able to recognize walls. And roofs. Take a moment and pay attention to the sound of my voice, how it spreads through the room, and how it is limited by the thick walls and the ceiling above us. The Force will help you with that." As she instructed, she took a moment to also practice some concentration. In a level such as hers, she could even hear and see the "ghosts" of the Jedi in the closest room through one of the walls. "But it's never perfect, even for me. Some days you can't just concentrate. And space. Oh, it sucks to be in a starship! There's no sound, there's no limits, every ship moves just too fast and you can only use stars as a reference. I'm working on that."

Having shared some of her thoughts, Ilo realized she was talking openly about her disability and the strategies she used to overcome them for the first time in a while. Actually, it was the first time she talked with someone in the same situation. She smiled, thinking about that. It was like she had a partner in crime.

"Liked the hang of the shoto? Need me to change something about it? I don't know if you already have the crystal to power it, but now is a good time to grab it if you haven't. I'll let you light it on by yourself, of course. You can do it."

Z9U36lL.png
“The way you describe it kind of sounds like echo location. By trying to focus on sound. But I get what you mean. It feels like vibrations sort of help give a sense of where things are sometimes. I’ve just, never felt like I needed to feel so reliant on the Force as I do now.” That was really where Ko’s major obstacle was, in trusting the force more than he’d ever actually needed too before. Then Ko’s shoulders sagged some. “Yeah, I’m dreading needing to learn how to navigate interstellar travel like this. Might need to invest in a trusty astromech droid of some kind.”

After a moment Ko paused and thought for a moment before turning his head to face Ilo. “Thanks by the way. When I lost my sight, I was worried it would end my journey as a Jedi in the order. I know that’s silly to think now. Since there've been plenty of accomplished Jedi with more severe limitations, and I’ve gotten a lot more support than I thought I would.” He explained some, expressing some of the concerns he had.

Listening to Ilo brought attention back to the shoto. Ko nodded to their words, unsure if they could ‘see’ him nodding. “It really does just feel like a miniature vision of my old lightsaber. Which is a good thing, since I always liked the geometry of it. The pommel always helped prevent the hilt from sliding out of my hands.” Ko replied, adding a bit more context as to why believed the design worked for him. “I don’t actually have a crystal for it yet, I think I’ll need to find a new one that I can work with. Not really looking for anything fancy.”

"Yeah, it's like echo location if you think about it. But being proficient with seeing without your eyes is basically an amalgamation of all your senses with the addition of the Force. You just have to fully indulge. Like... doing a belly flop into the water?" Ilo suggested, even though she wasn't quite certain if that example was the best one to illustrate what she meant. The dubious entonation showed that.

Aduni smiled when Ko showed approval regarding his new weapon. Although it wasn't a particularly difficult design to make, the Nautolan was proud of herself. Not necessarily by her effort but because of the simple satisfaction of helping someone in need.

"It's a cycle, really. Other Jedi gave me exactly the support I'm giving you right now, so they made my weakness one of my strengths. That's what so nice about our order — we kind of learn and do everything together, don't we?" She pointed out, optimistically. "Just imagine being a Sith locked on a dusty castle all alone with all the angst... I see no 'dark side seduction' in that." Ilo laughed with her own anecdote.

She started repacking her parts, stuffing the leather bag in a very chaotic fashion. It looked like it wouldn't fit all the components, but if they were packed before, they will be repacked now.

"So, let's get you crystal next door." She stood up, in triumph. "The only thing I miss during lightsaber construction is knowing the color of its blade. I can kind of feel it, but it's not the same as seeing it."

Z9U36lL.png
That was actually a pretty good way of looking at things. “I think you’re right, it’s kind of like jumping into the deep end of a pool. I always used my knowledge of things to get by. But this isn't really something you can study. It’s very, swim or sink I guess.” Ko replied, playing off the metaphor. Believing it was an excellent way of describing how he was feeling.

“Yeah, I’m very thankful to be here as a Jeid learner. The community, and support are really nice.” Ko could only imagine how their dark side counterparts must feel. He often felt a level of pity and concern for young and aspiring dark side adepts. “It's hard to imagine how someone like the two of us would even be able to use The Force to observe.”

Ko ‘watched’ as she began repacking the parts. Imagining that it would be very difficult for him to accomplish on his own. Constantly fumbling between the pieces and mechanism, even if he still had his eyes. The fact that Ilo could do it so quickly really showcased that this was a genuine talent of hers. Soon enough the young Kel Dor stood up beside her and gave a nod. Listening to her mention how she can’t see the brilliant colors that the blades emit. “That’s a good point I hadn't considered. My old one was green. I wonder if that might be the same now.” With that he was ready to move with her between rooms. Wondering which crystal might speak with him. Since it wasn’t always the best to use any old gem for a lightsaber.

Tags:
Ko Vuto Ko Vuto

Ilo chuckled when Ko followed along her metaphor, mainly because she noticed a coincidence within it:

"The only difference is that I'm physically incapable of drowning." She pointed out, still laughing about it. "Seeing through the Force and swimming are natural things to me, I suppose. I belly flopped into the Force at the exact same moment I swam off my egg."

That deep connection to the Force also boosted Aduni's memory in a creepy way. If she concentrated enough, she could remember her time as a tadpole, swimming through the waters of Glee Anselm with the help of her parents. She winced, thinking about not having arms or legs again.
Forgetting about that, Ilo led the way into the crystal banks. She opened the door and went into it, guiding Ko. It was a somewhat dark chamber, maybe built that way in order to avoid breaking the concentration involved in the process of selecting and attracting a gem. Well, light wouldn't matter for the blind duo.

"Here we are, Ko. Do your thing, but please take your time. I will be silent to help you focus." She said, staying next to one of the walls.

Ironically, she hit her head against one of the shelves, causing a metallic noise to echo through the room. Classic Ilo behavior, if you consider the quietness of the room and her inability to use much of her senses.

"Ouch! Sorry!" the Nautolan whispered.

Z9U36lL.png
“I could imagine it’s past just being second nature for you. I hope that I could just get to such a point. The way I like to imagine it, is that I have nowhere to go now but up. Since I’m starting at such a low point you know?” Ko replied, if this was still the swimming metaphor, it could be seen as though he needed to get to the top of the ocean while being at the bottom.

The Kel Dor let himself be led by the fellow padawan. Letting her guide him to the crystal banks and walking into the dark room. Hearing Ilo say that she would be quiet to allow him to concentrate he gave her a silent nod. Unsure if she could even see the gesture.

Ko assumed a stance, with his hands behind his back and his feet shoulder width apart. Feeling the high concentration of energy surrounding him in the room. Even without his eyes he could sense the brilliant radiance of the gems around him and Ilo. But one container ‘spoke’ to him more than the others.

Then suddenly his focus was ripped away back towards Ilo. Facing back towards her, Ko smiled softly under his mask. “No worries, and I think I found what I’m looking for.” His tone was gentle, being quiet as if not to disturb the lively gemstones around them. Ko then approached one of the containers. Placing his hand against the metal box over its label. If not for his blindness it would inform him that it was from the Adega System, likely from Ossus specifically, the same as his old lightsaber’s crystal.

Opening the container Ko gently picked out one of the various gems that were held within it. Holding it between the claws of his thumb and index finger. “It… feels strikingly familiar. I know it’s not the one that I lost, but it’s almost like it’s related to the previous crystal.” Ko said as he felt the glowing mineral in his hand. Sensing that it yearned for something. The Kel Dor ‘looked’ back to the nautolan girl, “I believe this might be the one.”

"Really, you will only get better and better. I think you're doing great with the little time you've been given, actually" Ilo pointed out in a low pitch, as Ko triumphantly got his crystal. "Let's go power up your shoto."

As they left the room, it became easier again to navigate. The sound of people talking, the electronic devices beeping, the droids passing by made it easier for the Nautolan to navigate. Heading towards the same workbench they were using earlier, she laid her back onto the wall.

"If you're feeling that, probably they come from the same mineral cluster. It's an Adegan like the other, isn't it? They sometimes come in big rocks, separated from each other only when we, as Jedi, poke them out with the Force. When you recover the other saber, they'll be like little brothers." As a lightsaber nerd, she did study the intricate science behind Jedi crystals. "Well, do your thing. When they teach us to assemble sabers as younglings, we do it with our eyes closed, using only the Force. Just do it again, I guess."

She made a gesture with her arms, pointing to the bench like she said 'do the honors'.

Z9U36lL.png
Hearing Ilo’s encouraging words caused Ko to give a content ‘smirk’ under his mask. She actually gave him a fair bit of hope just then. The Kel Dor then began to wonder. Ilo mentioned getting to ‘see’ past walls. An idea crossed his mind, could she see what he looked like, under his mask? At least a better idea than most? He wasn’t sure if that’s even how things ‘appeared’ to her. But the idea intrigued him some since normally people didn’t see his facial expressions.

Ko followed the fellow padawan back over to the workbench. All the while feeling the Adegan crystal in his hand. After she laid back against the wall and spoke, Ko looked to Ilo and gave her a nod. “You know that might be it. Hmm…” He through for a moment before bringing his attention back to the glowing crystal. “I guess that’s all the more reason to get my old saber back, or at least the crystal. So they could be reunited as sedimentary siblings.” Ko said with a soft chuckle before continuing on with the assembly.

He’d done this before, telekinetically messing around with his previous lightsaber. Disassembling and reassembling in the air. Setting the crystal on the workbench Ko placed both hands on either side of it and the hilt they made earlier. Taking a deep breath to calm and focus himself. Going back to the times he’s done this before with his eyesight. There wasn’t much difference now since he did it with his eyes closed. Only other thing is that the saber hilt is notably smaller. He sensed an eagerness from the crystal with partly distracted from the tranquility he was striving for. But as he continued he felt the familiar energy from the Echo Stone around his neck. Feeling like it’d awoken some in the moment as telekinetically assembled the shoto with relative ease given the familiarity with the hilt design.

As Ko floated the small weapon into his clawed hand the echo stone seemed to fall back asleep. Gripping the shoto and feeling it now with the crystals energy stored within the Kel Dor took a step back before igniting. The short plasma blade springing to life as Ko gave it a few dexterous twirls. It felt much more nimble than his previous saber, it was quite nice actually. “I wonder what color it is, maybe we need to ask someone else for us huh? Haha” Once more a smile grew across his face before he deactivated the saber and attached it snuggly to his belt.

It felt nice to accomplish something. He felt like he’d been dealing with a lot of failure lately. This reignited a bit of positivity and optimism in the padawan. Looking back to Ilo he spoke. “You really helped me out here, Ilo. I don't really know how” Even his voice seemed to have a much more upbeat tone to it now as well. “I swear, it’s like I could hug you right now…” Suddenly then Ko felt a pang of embarrassment for blurting that out. “...W-well not that I would, ya know?” The Kel Dor always tried to keep a more respectable and reserved demeanor around folks, especially other Jedi and Padawans such as himself. Trying to hold to more traditional behaviors.

If Ko ever expressed his curiosity regarding if Ilo could see behind the mask, he would be confused. If she really wanted, she could pretty well go deeper into the layers of things and get a projection of Vuto's face. At that relaxed moment, though, she could only see an amalgamation of his features, a mixture between his mask and the face underneath.
However, she could feel the smirk with the tendrils, that unmistakable sharp burst of joy.

"Some will say that after being reunited, familiar crystals will perform better and feel lighter on the hands of the user. But that's controverisal Jedi literature. Which I believe wholeheartedly, because it's really really cute." Ilo said, feeling that it was her turn to laugh.

When the Kel Dor talked about the color of the saber, Aduni closed her eyes. Not that it made a really great difference, but it always had helped her concentrate anyways. She raised her right hand towards the blade, getting close to the Force and entering a nearly oneiric state, dreaming. At first, the dream was just about sound, but after that it started to pick black and white shapes and shadows. That smokescreen was cut off by a bright emerald light, slicing through that cloudy space that felt like a cave.

"Ha! Now, with the power of the Force I shall foresee the color of your lightsaber! It is... green!" she said, opening her eyes, using a weirdly urgent tone. "Trust me."

Without further explanation about how she could make such a wild guess, the Padawan didn't even begin to start listening about all that reserved and well-mannered behavior. Hearing that the weapon was turned off, she approached Ko at his first mention of a hug, throwing her arms in a very tight comfy embrace. As she was tall and bulky, it may have seemed like a very weird one, also.

"Don't mention it, friend." She said, giving him light taps of encouragement on the back. "We'll stick together."

She was happy, not feeling alone as usual. That was Ilo. Quick to make friends, even quicker to offer a helping hand. Just like she was offered a helping hand. Eye for and eye, as they say.

Z9U36lL.png
“You’re right, it’s pretty sweet to think that they will do well together whenever I can get my old crystal back.” Ko let out a slight sigh at the thought. He knew he likely wouldn’t be able to return to Ryloth for a while. Especially as a padawan given how The Mandalorian Enclave have been on the warpath again to reacquire ‘their former territory’.

After assembling the shoto he sensed some of the focus coming from Ilo. Hearing her claim rather boldly that the color of his new saber was green like his former one. The color is often reflective of goodwill and harmony. Ko nodded as she said to trust her. “I do, I get the feeling that you’re correct.”

Then the Kel Dor gasped a little as Ilo threw her arms around him suddenly after mentioning it. He kind of forgot about her size since he was more along the taller side as a padawan himself. The skin around his mask quickly took a more red shade. Blushing a fair bit from the embrace. Partly glad that the two were blind so she couldn't see how flushed he became. But Ko would reciprocate the act by gently bringing his clawed hands to her back. Patting her as well. It felt quite nice despite it feeling stuff like that being rather unfamiliar to him.

“...O-Okay.” He said, somewhat at a loss for words. “Yeah… just two blind padawans together, what could go wrong?” Ko asked, chuckling at some of his own words. He'd always considered himself decently good at making friends but even he was taken back with Ilo's eagerness to befriend him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom