Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Exploding Horizons | NJO Intro

E X P L O D I N G H O R I Z O N S
Large, dark eyes followed the form of Enaldn Baig as he moved around the small galley of his freighter. A pleasant smell emanated from the griddle where Baig had eggs and sausages frying. Andromeda had offered to cook; she knew how, and it was the least she could do to help for the services Baig was rendering, but he had insisted that it was all included in her fare. Andy suspected that he didn't like the idea of a stranger prowling around his galley. Baig rounded the corner out of the kitchen area with a steaming plate, which he placed down in front of her. "'Reet, lass," Baig said, hooking his thumbs in his suspenders. "We'll be arrivin' to your jeedee friends in aboot an hour, so make ready your kit after breakfas', eh?"

The man spoke in a dialect that Andy had never heard, but she had learned quickly. "Yes, Captain. Thank you for breakfast." He regarded her curiously, then nodded and turned to head for the cockpit. He didn't eat with her; for the whole week of their journey, he never had. Perhaps he was afraid of her power, too, like the people on Irvulix. He needn't have worried. Andy had not been able to replicate the feat that had occurred in that collapsing mineshaft. If she hadn't felt it herself, that massive surge of something within her. An official at the secret space pad called it the curse; a worker refueling the ship had called it dark magic; the mine chief who had smuggled her out of the mine in a bodybag had called it the Force. If it was truly the curse, the dark magic, then it meant Andromeda was somehow a part of the destructive force that had so polluted and destroyed Irvulix, or rather that it was part of her.

If she wans't so hungry, she thought she might be sick. Andy's gaze followed Baig until his shadow disappeared, and she sighed quietly before picking up her fork and began to eat. The food onboard was better than anything she had tasted back home. She thought anything would be better than the mush of oats and grains and the occasional berries that made up the food supply of their village, bartered with scraps from the mine. She had never tasted eggs before, though on feast days and special occasions there had been chicken and sometimes meat, but it wasn't half as flavorsome or rich as the sausage. If it weren't so good, it might make her feel guilty to be eating something so good, even as her community dug itself out of a mining disaster and sate the mushy slop that sustained them.

At least the caff tasted the same: like dirt.

Andy pushed the painful thoughts of home and of curses aside. She had to remember that Irvulix was over now. She was never permitted to return, and her family and the village would never know what had truly become of her. The mine chief said he would tell them all that she had died in the mine collapse, body too mangled to be displayed for funeral. Her heart gave a painful squeeze at that, and the young woman pushed it down again. It was the past, now. She had the future to contend with. Andy hurried through her breakfast, shoveling eggs and sausage into her mouth and then draining the caff now that it had been cool enough to drink. She gathered her dishes and washed them in the galley before returning to her quarters to pack the few things that she had to her name. A few changes of clothes, an ancient commlink, a small pouch containing some coins that the mine chief had called credits. The rest of the galaxy, he had explained, mostly didn't barter the way those on Irvulix did. They sold things for these credits, and then used the credits to buy other things.

She shook some of the coins out onto her palm, studied them curiously. They didn't look valuable. They weren't even particularly shiny. Andy put them back into the pouch, tied it tightly, and then slipped it into her pocket and continued her inventory. A journal and a pen, within which was contained a photograph taken at her eighteenth birthday -- a special gift for a special occasion -- showing her, surrounded by her mother and father and her two surviving brothers. Her eldest brother had died in a mining mishap. No hope that he had survived and was cast out like Andy was; his body was in tact enough to be shown at the funeral. A small toolkit, but she held that back. She had some unfinished business to attend to.

The remains of a pit droid sat on the low bunk. Baig had said she could have it, since it was broken. She had managed to reactivate its processor, photoreceptor, and vocalizer, and reconnected its motivator to its legs. The arm connectors worked, after repairing some scoring there, but the arms were missing and would have to be replaced. Andy had worked with droids back home, enough to know her way around a spanner and a driver. She reached over and touched the control under the droid's flat-cap head. It shuddered awake and its head swiveled to her. "Oh! Welcome back, Guest."

"Hello," Andy said quietly as she picked the droid up. "I re-set your left leg socket. Want to give it a try?" She set the droid on the deckplate by the bunk, taking its place on the bed.

The droid's head gave a jerky swivel to look down at its legs, then lifted its leg, first at a right angle, then extending it fully straight. The droid's head jerked up to her again, its single photorecptor glowing faintly at Andy, and it monotoned: "It appears to be working. Excellent. What about arms?"

"I didn't find them," Andy said apologetically. "Maybe captain Baig can trade some of those coins for some."

"Buy them?" the droid asked, its flat-cap head jerking into a head tilt that Andy chose to see as endearingly curious.

Andromeda bit her bottom lip briefly, then nodded. "Buy them," she agreed. Buy, not trade coins for.

She brushed her teeth and hair and then packed up her toiletries, tucking the kit into her backpack, then picked it up and carried it to the exit ramp. The droid ticked along behind her, feet clanking gently along the metal deckplates, as they made their way toward the cockpit. Baig was lounging in the pilot's seat, his feet up on the navigator's chair, coffee in one hand, a datapad in the other. He looked up as Andy and the droid approached, straightening, putting his feet on the floor. Andy hardly noticed; she was drinking in the beautiful, terrible mottle of light beyond the viewport. Darkness and light, mixing and shifting. Stunning. Terrifying.

"Look'a'that," Baig said, gesturing with the datapad toward the droid. Finally breaking the spell and getting Andy's attention. "Good work, lass."

Andy smiled shyly. "It won't start asking about arms. You may be able to b-buy some."

"'S your droid, lass, you buy'im arms."

She hesitated. "I thought since he was working now you might want him back."

Baig made a whistling sound through his teeth. "Nah. We'ad a deal. Besides, I don't need'im anymore, and -- " He broke off when a trilling alarm went off on his control panel. "We'll be coming out of hyperspace soon. Have a seat there if you want to watch." He gestured to the spot where his feet had been resting, and she hauled herself into the swiveling seat. She leaned on the armrest, looking around the co-pilot's chair to watch. A moment later, the ship made a whining sound and then the mottle of hyperspace became lines of light, which became singular points of light.

Stars. Suns, each of them, she had learned over the last few weeks. Each a system which might have a world that could sustain life and a civilization.

But ahead of them was a large... shape. Like a giant pyramid stacked on top of another giant pyramid's mirrored base. A section at the center glowed in the dimness of space. "What's that?" Andy whispered faintly, her dark eyes wide with apprehension. She had watched the departure from Irvulix, watched the world go from flat expanse to curve to ball in space to faint smudge in the distance. But it had been a world, and she was on a ship, and what was hanging in space ahead of them was something entirely foreign.

"That? It's a ship, where you'll be able to find some help," Baig said absent-mindedly. He touched a control and began to speak. Andy thought for a moment he was asking her for clearance to land, but that was nonsensical. He carried-on this conversation for a few moments as his ship drew closer to the pyramid-thing, and soon it filled the viewport.

"By the Light," she murmured breathlessly, leaning forward to see ifs he could find the edges. She could not. There were noises and shudders and then finally the engines powered down.

"'Reet, lass, here we go." Baig stood and Andy followed suit, letting Baig lead her down the hallway. The droid followed behind her. Andy said nothing, but she felt herself gulping for air, anxiety clutching at her chest. Baig glanced at her sidelong, then offered a hesitant pat on her shoulder. "You're alreet, lass. These are good, decent folk, so I've heard. They're not out'a hurt ya." Andy closed her eyes against welling tears, only nodded stiffly in response. She swallowed a few times, the lump in her throat eventually lowering to the point that she felt she could speak again.

"Would you -- come with me?" Andy asked quietly. She glanced at him abashedly out of the corner of her eye.

"'Course I will," said Baig. "Not to worry, lass."

He reached over and touched a control panel, and the ramp unsealed with a hiss and lowered. Andy picked up her bag, slinging it over her shoulders and, after a deep breath, started down the ramp with Baig at her side. Andy kept her head lowered, careful on the ramp and her feet until they got to flat flooring. Only then did she raise her eyes and look around. A myriad of ships were organized around the space, with people in the distance moving around, doing things Andy couldn't quite make out. "What is this place?" she breathed, lifting her gaze to the ceiling of the hangar. It seemed impossibly high, like the sky on Irvulix. She had been comforted by the low ceilings of Baig's ship; it reminded her of the mines, of the cramped quarters of her family home in the village. This -- well, this was something else entirely.

MOSHED-2022-10-2-15-23-11.jpg

Space
Tags: Andromeda Demir Andromeda Demir

shield_core_divider.png

Jasper hadn't been expecting to be picking up any force sensitives today. He had been on a relief expedition, bringing supplies from his flagship, the Dawnbreaker, and spreading out for efficiency in another capital ship on loan from the Alliance. They were en route to Coruscant when they had received a message from a freighter captain who went by Enaldn Baig, who had claimed to have a force sensitive girl with him. Jasper was quick to reroute their expedition to link up with the man. If he did have a force sensitive individual with him, her safety was of the utmost importance.

It had been a particularly slow day as he waited for this freighter to arrive. They had taken the time to take inventory to determine what would need to be returned to the Dawnbreaker when they docked at Coruscant, as well as make repairs to any of the equipment while they were there. Jasper, of course, was right in the thick of it, directing personnel and making fixes to gear himself. He may have been a councilmember now, but he was still a mechanic deep down. It would take a lot to stop him from building and inventing, nothing short than his death. He was sure of that.

"Knight Kai'el," one of the crewmembers greeted with a salute, "There's a vessel in-bound. It matches the description of the one we were waiting for."

"Perfect," Jasper nodded, setting down the equipment he was tinkering with. "Clear them for entry."

"Yes sir!"

Jasper composed himself and prepared for their freighter to set down. It entered smoothly all things considered, and the crew of the capital ship was quick to guide them to an open space in the hangar. The ramp of the vessel lowered, and off came the captain, a young woman as expected, and a droid with no arms.

"What is this place?"

"It's the Westrunner," Jasper stated as he approached the trio, wearing a soft smile on his face. "It's a Galactic Alliance capital ship, but it's on loan for relief work at the moment. Jasper Kai'el, resident Jedi Council representative at your service."

Andromeda nearly leapt out of her skin; she hadn't noticed Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el approaching, so engrossed in all the unfamiliar sensations going on around her. Everything was so different to Irvulix. The technology floored the young woman; back home most people in the village used wood fires for cooking and heat, they used oil lamps and candles for light. There were electric streetlights, and the mayor had electricity, but for most families it wasn't worth the expense. But her attention snapped to Jasper after he spoke, her pulse hammering in her ear. Without realizing it, she had stepped halfway behind Baig, positioning the now-familiar man between herself and the stranger.

He placed a steadying hand on her shoulder, guiding her back to the front. "Westrunner," Andy said under her breath. "Galactic Alliance." She understood Basic, she recognized the words, but to Jasper they had some kind of significance. She made a mental note to investigate.

"Andromeda," she said, touching her chest. "Andromeda Demir. Everybody calls me Andy."

It was difficult to keep her attention on this resident Jedi Council representative with everything that was going on around her, but one thing she knew was that you only had one chance to make a first impression, and if she was going to salvage this one, she would need to pay attention. She reasoned that "jeedee" were really Jedi, like "al'reet" was "all right". Dark eyes considered Baig for a moment, a smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. Andy wasn't ashamed to admit that she had become rather fond of him.

Baig cleared his throat and said: "I've an arrangement, y'see, with the villages on Irvulix V. 'Avin' a sensitivity to the Force, it's a death sentence there. The lass was in a mine when it collapsed, an' she -- well, you know how these things have a way of workin' themselves out. Point is, some o'the villages'd rather not stone their young'uns to death for somethin' no fault o'their own, so they send them... out. To whatever passes for the good guys of the galaxy's force orders. The despots that rule the planet keep the rest of 'em in ignorance. 'Fraid there will be lots to teach her, and not just your hand-waving mum -- that is -- the way of your order."

Andy frowned at this; Baig meant well, but she thought he was making it sound like she was illiterate. "I can read," Andy said, trying not to sound churlish. "And write. And do sums and multiplication and division. I was educated."

"'Course y'were, course," Baig placated her. "Didn't mean to suggest you weren't -- just, until a week ago you didn't know there was other people on other planets. Not a fault of your intelligence, lass." Baig glanced at Jasper, offering an apologetic smile. "Mostly they're toddlers when they're discovered," he said by way of explanation. This was not his forte any more than galactic geopolitics was Andy's. "Anyroad, I... well, that's it, isn't it? You've got your bag, didn't leave anything behind, lass?"

Andy pressed her lips together and nodded.

"If ye'll not be needin' anything else," Baig said to Jasper. "I'll be on my way. Got a stop three systems over before dinner."

Space

shield_core_divider.png

Jasper wasn't offended by the young woman's startled reaction to him. He was, admittedly, rather weird looking given his strange tattoos and cybernetic arm. She at least was composed enough to give her name, with some encouragement from the freighter captain.

"It's nice to meet you, Andy," he nodded.

A frown came to his face as the captain explained the situation far more in depth.

"I've an arrangement, y'see, with the villages on Irvulix V. 'Avin' a sensitivity to the Force, it's a death sentence there. The lass was in a mine when it collapsed, an' she -- well, you know how these things have a way of workin' themselves out. Point is, some o'the villages'd rather not stone their young'uns to death for somethin' no fault o'their own, so they send them... out.

It was a deeply troubling situation. Not all understood the force very well. What was a natural attunement to the movement of life through all things was looked upon, by some at least, with great disdain. Unnatural or unholy, when it was certainly far from the truth of the matter. He did passively observe their interaction though, and was rather moved by how positive it seemed. The captain having such an arrangement was certainly telling of the kind of man he was, even if he was clearly far better at working with younger children.

"I won't hold you up, Captain Baig," Jasper told him, "But don't hesitate to reach out if you wish to pay a visit. We encourage members to maintain positive relationships... even if it only winds up being one or two people. It's better for adjustment."

Some came in alone, no loved ones to speak of. Jasper had been one of them, and certainly not by choice. Even if her people had shunned her, it wasn't a bad idea to keep any positive connection she could, at least to make settling down easier. With that, he turned to the girl, still with a warm smile on his face.

"Well, for starters it's important to explain that there's nothing wrong with you," he assured. That would be important to get out of the way. "The Force binds together all living things. You just are in tune to it more than others may be. It's... still unfortunate that something out of your control has cut you off from home. I'm sure you still have quite a bit to process, given the circumstances. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to provide some guidance where I can."

Baig offered a half-nod, half-bow to the Jedi and turned to Andromeda. "I'll come and visit," he said cautiously. "If y'like." He pulled a piece of flimsiplast from his inner pocket and handed it to her. "There's m'comm frequency, and m'mailing address if y'can't get me the other way. 'Reet?" He squeezed her shoulder. "Now go on. Y'll be a'reet." Andy fingered the flimsiplast card thoughtfully and smiled before tucking it into her pocket. She bid the captain goodbye and half-turned to watch him board the ship. Hastily wiping a tear from her cheek, she watched as the final link to home lifted off from the deckplates.

She turned back to Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el , took a hesitant step toward him so she didn't have to raise her voice to be heard. She was comforted by his assurances, but part of her instinctively found them hollow. Nearly two decades of cultural programming would do that to a person. "Many years ago -- hundreds of years -- there was a some kind of... disaster," she began quietly. "They say someone with the curse -- sorry, the Force." Her fingers knit together anxiously at her waist. "They say someone -- with the Force -- did something terrible. Set off some kind of seismic effect. Volcanos all over the planet ruptured and the seas boiled. The air has been gray since then, the water dirty. I suppose I can see why people would be afraid of someone... like that." A pregnant pause, and she swallowed audibly around a lump in her throat. "I was, until now."

Another beat, then a sheepish admission: "That's -- a lie. I'm terrified, still. Of them. And me, I guess. I still don't understand how I did what I did. What I mean is, I didn't do anything. But somehow..." He voice trailed off and she stepped a little closer. The armless droid mirrored her movements, staying a step or two behind her. Its clanking feet reminded her of its presence, momentarily distracting her from the her thought process. "Is he allowed here?" she asked, glancing over her shoulder at the pit droid uncertainly. "Captain Baig gave him to me, but -- he'll fold up when I deactivate him, if he'll take up too much space."

"I do have other questions, too," Andromeda said once the matter was settled. She folded her arms around her midsection, hugging herself against the chill despite her ragged coat. "What is a galactic alliance? And what is a jedi council?" Her tongue stumbled around the unfamiliar terms. "And -- what will happen to me now?"

Space

shield_core_divider.png

"They say someone -- with the Force -- did something terrible. Set off some kind of seismic effect. Volcanos all over the planet ruptured and the seas boiled. The air has been gray since then, the water dirty. I suppose I can see why people would be afraid of someone... like that." A pregnant pause, and she swallowed audibly around a lump in her throat. "I was, until now."

"That's... unusual," Jasper remarked with a frown. "Effecting nature on such a level isn't common... or natural in most cases. Fear isn't a response that's... incorrect, per say. Those who seek to conquer the force rather than coexist with it have done terrible things. I've... seen first hand the things that such people are capable of. I can't blame you for being afraid of your abilities. I grew up around the force and was terrified of what I could become for the longest time... But, the Jedi Order has dedicated itself to ensuring that no such things occur. We teach force sensitives to use their gifts for balance, and we do are best to insure that those who may use it for their own gain can't cause any harm to the galaxy. I can't really guarantee that it will become less scary immediately, but we'll work on that in time."

The girl asked about her pit droid next, causing a warm smile to spread across her face. This was a much more innocent question, and one he could answer quite easily.

"Of course," he nodded. "Droid companions are encouraged. I have many. It... seems your friend is missing a few parts though. I may have some spare limbs on my own ship, if you'd like."

"What is a galactic alliance? And what is a jedi council?" Her tongue stumbled around the unfamiliar terms. "And -- what will happen to me now?"

"Oh jeez," he reacted with a faint chuckle. "That all may take a moment. Well... I suppose for starters, the Galactic Alliance is a collection of allied star systems that form a democratic state. After a long war with a rather ruthless faction called the Maw, it's one of the few left standing in the Galaxy. The Jedi Council is the body that forms the leadership of the Jedi Order. I'm one of six, who I'm sure you'll meet eventually. It's not a highly regimented system of leadership, but it's kept our order afloat for the longest time. Longer than I've been alive. As for what will happen to you..."

A frown came to his face as he crossed his arms, thinking of a way to answer it. He understood the uncertainty of the future as well. It had caused him to run away from the order so long ago now, convinced that nobody would have him. The road to finding himself had not been a straight forward one. Jasper had no illusions that this would be a speedy process.

"Well, I can assure that you'll have food and shelter for starters," the knight shrugged, "But details become... hazy when you discuss the future. You'll be trained, of course, to harness your abilities safely, but ultimately the path you choose to walk is in your hands. Finding a place in the order is only a small part of being in a wider galaxy after all. It will take time... and I can't tell you I have the answer to everything. I'm eager to help however I can though, and there are countless others with their own experience who no doubt feel the same. So I guess that's my invitation to continue asking questions. You'll certainly find more to ask."

Jasper smiled warmly, clasping his hands together. A thought just came to his head.

"I had an idea," Jasper stated. "Why don't you come with me to the bridge? We should be making the jump to hyperspace soon."

The young woman fell into step with the Knight, putting her hands in her jacket pocket. Was everywhere in the galaxy so cold? The cold wasn't quite enough to distract her from what Jasper was saying. She believed him, of course; she had no reason to doubt him, and he certainly had a better understanding of the factors at play than she, and probably better than the powers-that-be on Irvulix. Perhaps they had things confused back home. It was an awfully long time ago, which probably didn't help matters.

Still, there was power in this magic, this Force, and with that came risk. She chewed her bottom lip thoughtfully. It seemed that this Jedi Order of his was of value in preventing the kind of thing that had happened on Irvulix. Andy remained silent, thoughtfully processing what Jasper was telling her. And when he told her about keeping the droid, she couldn't help but give an impish smile to the droid. He shifted from one foot to the other, as if excited by the prospect of being complete once more.

"He liked that," Andy told Jasper confidentially.

Jasper's civics lesson-on-the-fly was helpful to a point, but without context, the explanation just confused her more. She made a mental note to ask about a history book. She had learned of the existence of a larger galaxy a week ago, which didn't give her any foundation at all. Still, from what limited knowledge she had about forms of government -- teaching anything other than the philosophy of the ruling oligarchs was outlawed on Irvulix -- a 'collection of allied star systems that form a democratic state' seemed like a good approach to things, if utterly foreign to her.

"I -- " she began before falling silent a moment as she reached for her inside pocket. " -- Captain Baig gave me some of these -- credits. Do I pay now or later for my room and board?" Andy produced the little pouch, holding it out to Jasper. At his invitation to the bridge, her eyebrows shot up. She wondered what a bridge would be needed for on a starship, and was eager to find out. "Yes -- all right. Hyperspace is -- all blue and white swirls, right? To go places quickly, Baig said. Where are we going?"

Space

shield_core_divider.png

Jasper smiled at the positive reception of the pit droid.

"I'm glad to hear that," he stated. "I work with droids a lot. Making sure they're taken care of is important."

They were easily disregarded by the rest of the galaxy, but Jasper knew better than to let himself fall into that. Droids had been some of his most loyal allies, from his BB Unit Blip to his oldest friend, Pyf. He liked to make sure that droids got the respect they deserved from that the galaxy so easily neglected to give.

A laugh did rise from him when Andromeda asked how much she would have to pay for board. She must have still thought of the Jedi Order as a regular school. It made sense, given her limited contact with the wider galaxy in general. There was a lot she would have to learn.

"No payment," he assured. "The order covers the expenses of living for all members. It's nothing luxurious, but it's a good arrangement. It will be plenty to allow you to focus on your training."

With that, he began to lead her to the bridge. More confusion came, as he expected. It was rather charming though, seeing someone make contact with so many new experiences. Jasper doubted he could ever be so bewildered by the mundane. Perhaps that was a thought experiment for another time. There was still more for him to answer in the moment, and he was beginning to realize that he may have to describe the ship to her in better detail as well.

"Coruscant," the knight answered. "The capital of the Galactic Alliance. It's a massive city that covers an entire planet that began construction millions of years ago. The seat of the Alliance's power is there, the Senate, as well as the New Jedi Order's main temple. There are other satellite temples across the galaxy, but you'll probably spend most of your time there."

It wasn't long before they had arrived on the bridge. It was, of course, not a means of crossing over a gap, but the central location where the capital ship was controlled.

"Welcome to the bridge," he told her. "This is where the entire vessel is overseen. Controls, life support, damage... You need something a lot larger to manage all the systems of a capital ship. This is one of the larges sizes a vessel can be, so it requires a lot more manpower than a freighter. Maybe you'll get a chance to see the one I command, the Dawnbreaker. The Jedi center aid work out of it, so maybe you'll visit it if you ever join relief work."

With that, he turned to the crew of the Westrunner, giving the nod to enter hyperspace. In a few moments the crew had the hyperdrive fired up. The stars began to warp and swirl ahead of them. Then, a sudden lurch, though the bridge of the vessel remained solid below their feet, unbothered by the jump. Soon, they were staring down the streaking blue majesty of hyperspace.

Andromeda blushed a little at her faux pas and sheepishly tucked her stash of credits back into her inside pocket. "That's -- very generous, thank you," she said uncertainly, glancing around as she followed him along the corridors. Everything was so shiny here, so sleek. She paused at a corner, glancing over her shoulder briefly to make sure she wasn't tracking anything along the deck plates. It was all she could do to stop from lifting her feet to examine the bottoms of her boots.

The young woman was sure she hadn't heard Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el right when he described Coruscant. "A city that spans an entire planet? Truly?" If she had even a little more worldliness about her, she would have recognized herself as the worst kind of rube. She had seen The City on Irvulix once, during a state festival. There had been something hollow about the experience; the nobles that ran Irvulix had been there, but The City felt empty and disused. Like even the nobles that ruled didn't even exist in the capital, but had come there as part of the performance. She had heard rumors -- urban legends, really -- among her contemporaries in the village that the city had been heavily damaged in the cataclysm. The nobles used it as a symbol of the authority of the government, but the spires and towers were really unstable ruins, teetering on the edge of collapse.

Or so they said.

But -- a planetwide city? The idea was exciting and terrifying. How did it work? How did you feed the people that lived there, with no farms? How did you protect it if it was all cities? Where would you put the gates? The fact that she was standing in a ship that made the high walls of The City on Irvulix all but obsolete dawned on her slowly, but when it did she flushed all the harder. Andy felt she might never adjust to this maddening sensation that she was nigh on two decades behind everyone else.

Would she ever catch up?

To bypass any further tedious exposition about her backwater homeworld, suffice it to say that the bridge was another revelation to Andy. She gazed around, eyes taking all the systems in before wandering toward the viewports. Larger, broader than the ones on Baig's ship, they gave n expansive view of space. The transition to hyperspace gave Andy a sense of vertigo; she had to steady herself on a support beam, closing her eyes as she felt her stomach drop.

She still had questions, with which she wasted no time peppering Jasper. "How long does it take to get there -- to Coruscant?" she wondered. "What is your ship like? Is it like this one, big? What kind of relief work do you do?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom