Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everything casts two shadows

Lilla Syrin

A great leap forward often requires first taking t
“It is an energy field and something more. An aura that at once controls and obeys. It is a nothingness that can accomplish miracles.”

– Obi-Wan Kenobi

The old Cerean walked up to the counter. “Do you work here?”

Standing behind the counter, the woman didn’t look up from her datapad. “No, I come in here and do inventory in my spare time.”

“Just a second. They need me in the cantina.” Her apron whirled as she spun and walked the metre and a half to where her sundries counter turned into a bar. She picked up a glass that a sleeping prospector had knocked over and then returned to the cloaked Cerean. “I’m back,” she said but immediately turned her back on the customer.

The Cerean glanced around. “Is there someone else here I can talk to?”

“Don’t mind Chelik,” Lilla interjected. “She’s just playing with you. It’s what passes for customer service around here.” The smile on her face suggested this was friendly banter and it put the elderly Cerean at ease.

“Now there, of course I can help you,” Chelik said. “What do you need? Directions and a little blue milk?” At the puzzled look that the Cerean offered, Chelik smiled. “It’s an old joke. A very, very old joke. And it’s not funny now I come to think of it.”

There was a pregnant pause before the Cerean spoke again. “I’m looking for someone.” He held up an admonishing finger before Chelik could retort with another wisecrack.

The cloaked figure pulled a battered flimsi out of his pocket and showed it to the woman. Chelik glanced up at Lilla before looking back at the slightly faded image. “Not seen her, not in my time at least. But I’ve only been here a few months.”

After setting the glass in a basin, she stepped out through a gap in the long counter and walked to one of the back tables, where a Duros huddled silently over his morning caf. Chelik clapped her hand on his shoulder-an act that he seemed not to notice in the least. “This is Mitel,” she said.

The Cerean studied him. “Does he work here?”

“We don’t know,” Chelik said. “But he’s here an awful lot.”

“Thank you just the same.” The elderly Cerean headed for the front door.

“That’s Chelik,” Lilla said. “Retailer of the year. Customers can’t stay away!”

“Sure they can, Lilla.” Chelik orbited one of the luncheonette tables, cleaning it off without looking at it. “Anyone can stay away for a while. Until they remember that it’s thirty kilometres to the nearest working keg. Then they never want to leave.”

In truth the place was the largest facility of any kind in the Pika Oasis. Two of the domes had been there since before anyone could remember, part of some ancient farm. This one had been added on, connecting one of the domes with an oblong sales area beneath a rounded roof.

And all around: the oasis, a wide clearing shielded from the wind by gently rolling sand hills. Once a basin for a prehistoric lake, the area and its clumpy soil gave rise to flowering pika plants and a few hardy debdeb trees – and something else. Cylindrical vaporators rose all around, producing water for delivery in the vast tankers that sat parked outside the garages. Most of the harvest was bound for faraway parts; the locals drank what they needed and little more. They knew what they had, and its value.

Lilla Syrin

Lilla frequented the old building she’d found almost as much as the derelict farm she’d called home for the past year. Neither had creature comforts but both offered shelter, which out here counted for a lot.

Her ‘home’ was the better furnished. Both allowed sand in, as Lilla figured that to make the entrance secure enough to keep the wind out would signal to someone that the dwelling was occupied. But the other residence had a draw. That odd counter-balance of welcoming yet shunning. On one hand she felt she was being drawn to the place, and on the other forbidden to enter.

She’d been intrigued before, but this was different. This was the place where she’d found the box. The cube was significant, she knew that. But to what end she had no idea. It was solid and did not appear to have contents, but it was no ornament. It must serve a purpose she decided. But with no access to any research facilities, she had only her imagination to work with.

Lilla Syrin

As Lilla approached the former farm, she sensed something. Out here she allowed her guard down – the one that blocked out other people’s thoughts and emotions. Other than the basic drivers of small creatures, she did not have to worry about her senses being overloaded in the desert. Pain, hunger and fear – as shared by grubs and small rodents – was the most she had to contend with.

But today was different. Today someone was near. She sensed hope and frustration in equal measures and in her clumsy way tried to focus on them, to see what else she could glean. And then the emotions abruptly stopped.

They didn’t diminish – as they did when people travelled away from her. Nor did they dissipate, as they did when the emotions ebbed. No, these simply disappeared – like someone was talking and had then closed a door. It was as if she could no longer hear the conversation.

Lilla stood still. There was nowhere to hide. This was a desert after all, and the closest cover was some distance away. If there was someone in the dwelling, they’d spot them easily.

So she hid in the only place she could think of.

Lilla Syrin

Lilla was an accomplished climber. She knew she could remain in the well for hours. But not days. No sooner had she decided to take refuse down the well shaft, than she pondered the worst case scenario. What if the newcomer had taken up residence? What if it wasn’t a newcomer but the previous owner?

She decided to wait for dark, give it a few more hours, and then make a run for it. It was risky – but less risky than waiting here indefinitely.

Which was when she became aware that a cloud had covered one of the suns. Except there were no clouds in the sky.

Lilla Syrin

“We meet again,” the Cerean said, extending a hand. “Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you. If I wanted to, I suspect I would have already have done so by now, yes?”

Lilla reflected for a moment and nodded. Accepting his hand she allowed herself to be pulled out of the well. For an elderly chap, he seemed very strong.

Lilla looked at the Cerean again. She suspected that if he was looking for someone, he’d try any abandoned dwelling. She figured that if she remained calm, he’d see there was nobody to find here and move on.

The Cerean bowed, formally. “I am Mei, Mei-Udo-Shael. Jedi Master of the Republic Remnant.”

Lilla had known of the Republic. At various points in its history, Tatooine was a Republic planet. And she’d heard of the Jedi. Her training at the governess’s academy touched on the Force, but in a most superficial way. Jedi and Sith were to be avoided. The line of work she was groomed for was not on the battlefield, which is where these warriors tended to spend their time trying to kill each other.

“Lilla. Lilla Syrin. Pleased to meet you.”

A long pause followed. Lilla noted the Cerean seemed fond of these, so she let it hang – allowing him to speak next.

“I was looking for someone. And to paraphrase a great Jedi Master, found someone I have.”

Lilla Syrin

Lilla shrugged. “If you walk for long enough, even in a desert, you’ll find someone eventually. And seeing as we’re close to the Oasis, the odds on us meeting again were higher than coming across a total stranger. I studied probability, you see.” Lilla felt slightly awkward and looked down at her left foot, that was tracing lines in the sand.

“That’s not what I meant,” Mei said. “I haven’t found just anyone, I’ve found you. You were reading my thoughts earlier.”

Lilla’s cheeks flushed red. It felt as though she’d been caught eavesdropping, or rifling through someone’s drawers. “I…I…I’m sorry. I meant no harm. I…I wasn’t looking to see your thoughts. They came to me, not the other way around.”

Mei nodded. Sagely. And then he rubbed his chin with one of his hands. “I see. And is this something you’ve been able to do only recently?”

Lilla shook her head, still feeling as though she’d been called into the governess’s office for stealing a cookie. “All my life, or as far as I can remember, anyway. I learned to block them out but it can be tiring. Which is why I like to come out here. I can relax and there’s no chance I’ll be overwhelmed.” She deliberately chose not to mention that she lived out here. She was being entirely honest, but did not see the point in venturing information that was unnecessary or not asked for.

Lilla Syrin

The Cerean glanced around and his eyes rested on the dwelling. “It may not be a palace, but it’s more comfortable than standing around here. And less likely to attract Tusken attention.”

Lilla was about to share her observations on the Sand People and this place, but stopped short. “Agreed. My muscles would benefit from a rest.” She’d been in the well for only a matter of minutes, but she’d been walking all day and sitting down seemed like a treat. “And…what I mean to ask is…how did you find me? So quickly I mean? And how did you know I could sense your thoughts?”

Mei smiled warmly. “All in good time. I have a flask of something hot we can share, and we can talk at leisure. I have no other appointments to be on time for. Do you?”

Lilla shook her head.

Lilla Syrin

Lilla enjoyed the taste of the hot drink. It was a cross between herbal tea and a consommé and was refreshing and invigorating. “Thanks,” she said, as she returned the cup to the Jedi. “Not something I’ve had before but I’d definitely try again.”

Lilla had resisted asking any questions, and the Cerean did not seem in a hurry, so they’d exchanged pleasantries as they drank. But as the Jedi put the flask and cup away, Lilla sensed the formalities were over and the conversation would change tack promptly.

“So,” Mei said, steepling his fingers. “What do you know about the Force?”

Lilla Syrin

Lilla was honest and forthright. What she knew about the Jedi and Sith was mostly hearsay and superficial.

“The Jedi and Sith are sworn enemies. They represent two ends of a spectrum and believe in something called the Force that they call on to give them power in battle.”

Lilla sensed a smile was coming but the Cerean quickly rearranged his features.

“Much is spoken of the Force, and the majority is false. Let me explain, from someone who knows more than the average person, about the truth of the matter.”

“The Force is in many ways a power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together.”

“I’ll not labour on the moral compass of its use – you refer to Sith and Jedi as akin the Force, but they are not. Not precisely.”

“But it is fair to say that the light side of the Force, that which the Jedi draw on, is the facet aligned with compassion, selflessness, self-knowledge and enlightenment. We are about healing, mercy and benevolence.” Now the Cerean laughed. “Now I’m doing it. Perhaps it’s not so easy to explain without referencing Jedi and Sith.”

“The dark side of the Force is the element aligned with hatred, fear, covetousness, anger, aggression, jealousy and malevolence. Now there are formal definitions that you’ll learn over time, but the important thing to remember is that the Force flows through every living thing. But it can only be harnessed by those described as ‘Force-sensitive.’ And this is correlated with, and sometimes attributed to, a high count of internal microorganisms called midi-chlorians that are found in a Force-sensitive’s blood. In simple terms, the higher the count, the greater the being’s potential Force ability.”

“Do you follow?”

Lilla nodded, yet her brows were knitted. If the Cerean noticed the conflict, he did not mention it.

Lilla Syrin

Again, there was a pause. This time, Lilla felt compelled to break the silence.

“What I don’t understand is…why are you telling me? And what did you mean, ‘I’ll learn over time?’”

The Cerean’s smile returned. “You seem a bright young person, I would have thought that was obvious.”

Once more silence stretched between them.

“I’m a Jedi?” Lilla’s voice wavered, clearly she was unsure of her words.

“In time,” Mei responded. “You are clearly a Force sensitive. That much is clear. How many midi-chlorians, who can tell. In fact, who cares. All that matters is that you use your gift for good. Learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi.”

“For Jedi are no born. They become so after much study and reflection, and the necessary strength to remain on the path.”

“The path?”

“To the Light side. Temptation will be offered, both by others and circumstances. A Jedi follows a strict Code and always does what is right. Not what is quick, or easy or what we want for ourselves. But what is for the greater good. Always for the greater good.”

Lilla Syrin

Lilla nodded. In a sense this was how she lived her life. How she’d always known she should act, even without a Code to follow.

“I understand. Or, at the very least, I believe I do.”

“Good, good,” the Cerean said. “So, if you’re to become a Jedi, you’ll have to learn how to connect with the Force. I’m confident that you can – it’s how you sensed my feelings after all. But it is one thing to do it subconsciously, quite another to do it at will.”

“You’ll no doubt have accessed the Force at other times. When under stress or at risk. You will have connected and manipulated the world around you. Maybe you sensed danger, or avoided a blaster bolt, or convinced someone to do something. It can manifest in many ways, but these would have been almost by accident. A Jedi needs to be able to do these things knowingly.”

“So, sit on the floor and cross your legs.”

Lilla did so, feeling slightly self-conscious.

“Let your arms fall by your side and relax. Close your eyes if it helps and concentrate on your breathing.”

Lilla did so and felt a rush of warmth as she did so.

“Good, good. Now empty your mind of all thoughts. All emotions. Focus only on my voice.”

Lilla complied and found it a challenge. To consciously not use your mind was almost an oxymoron. So she simply relaxed and latched onto the Cerean’s voice and did her best not to allow any extraneous thoughts into her conscious mind. She felt that warm feeling grow. As if she was in a calm pool of water that was hot enough to relax her muscles.

“Now, reach out with your feelings. Not to seek thoughts or emotions, but wider than that. Broader. What do you see with your feelings?”

The paradox was not lost on Lilla but she did as she was asked.

“Desert. Desert. You. Creatures. Plants. Life. Death.”

“Is there a link?”

“No…yes, there is a connection. An energy. An energy in balance. It is a force. The Force?”

“Yes, now look inside yourself.”

“I see it, it is the same.”

“Excellent. We have established you have the opportunity to become a Jedi. All you need is to be taught. I would recommend you come with me to the Academy, where your training can begin. And there you can find a Master. Someone who will personally oversee your development.”

Lilla Syrin

Lilla opened her eyes, but her brows were knitted. “You. You should be my Master.”

“I don’t take Padawans any longer – that’s what we call our apprentices. I’m too long in the tooth to teach. Most things you need to learn you can gain from a Holocron anyway.”

“But you found me, surely that counts for something. And I trust you and if you believe in the Force, then surely it brought us together, as some kind of balance?”

Mei sighed. “I don’t know. I haven’t taken a Padawan for some time. I’m sure you could find better.”

“Better? I know what my heart tells me. It tells me to choose you. I will become the best Jedi I can be and a credit to your teaching. This I promise. All I ask is that you believe in yourself as a teacher.”

The Cerean chuckled. “I thought the Masters were supposed to be the inscrutable ones. But then, we are taught the Master-Padawan relationship is a two-way process. I suspect you have much to teach me, as I have you.”

“We should stay here tonight and tomorrow we can head to where the Republic Remnant Jedi Order are based, or at least the Academy. And as we travel, we can get to know each other better. I’m curious to know how you ended up here, all alone.”

“Me too,” mused Lilla. “Me too. Oh, and what's a holocron?"

"Oh, it's typically a cube about so big," Mei indicated the dimensions with his hands. "It's an information-storage datacron device that contained ancient lessons or valuable information in holographic form. And the data is imparted by a gatekeeper, a form of AI encrypted into the holocron by its creator."

Lilla fished the box out of her pocket. "Something like this?"

"Exactly like this," Mei responded as the holocron glowed slightly and a small holographic image appeared.

"Hello there," the figure said...

obi-wan-rebels.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom