Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Even Angels Sin

Veiere nodded in acknowledgement of [member="Lady Kay"], yet truthfully there was little he could do here but further advise her should she need it. "Sadly, there's not a lot that can be done on my end save for seeking out this [member="Flannigan Mcnash"] character and meeting with him in person. Diplomacy out in the field tends to suit me much more than the complexities of computers and technologies. I'm afraid I missed that bus so to speak" He smiled briefly glancing to her before turning back to gaze out the nearby window, remaining within his seat and falling quiet, reflective and thoughtful upon the future that they both held in the shadow of Commenor's prospective victories and losses, small or large.

He thought to suggest possibly seeking out the staff and speaking with them quietly one on one, to see if Veiere might be able to learn anything. However that in itself would be shedding some light on the situation and knowing not whether their own people had been infiltrated or not, they really couldn't do a lot without further information. Perhaps this [member="Ultimatum"] character would be successful and offer them a greater perspective...-Otherwise, they would need to go public and step out knowing not what to expect really.

[member="Jen"]

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
[member="Veiere Arenais"] wanted to seek out [member="Flannigan Mcnash"] ? Oh that might not be good. She knew what the Jackal was capable of and if he knew that there was any connection growing between herself and her bodyguard, then he might try to use that to his advantage. But then again.....Veiere was a well trained Jedi. He had faced many foes and survived. Perhaps it was time that she didn't try to do everything on her own in order to protect people. As he looked out the window, Kay spoke. "Alright. If you wish to meet with Flannigan, you will probably find him on Sriluur, at the White Palace. There are Hutts there and plenty of pirates like [member="Cadan Tazi"] . You will probably even find [member="Thraxis"] there. That was where I saw him last..." Whether or not Thraxis had completely gone back to his old ways, she wasn't sure.

At that moment, her datapad beeped, signalling that she had a message. Kay looked down to it and began to open the message. With such tight security on it, she knew that it had to be from her friend. " [member="Ultimatum"] is willing to help. Though he's asking me about codes and remote access. I don't know how to do any of that. And he's asked if I need him to come here. That would probably be best. He could look out for me while you are gone." With her decision made, she typed up a reply and sent it:

~Ultimatum,

I'm afraid that coding and remote access are things that are far beyond my knowledge. If you are available, I would love to have you come to Commenor and look into it.

Sincerely,

Kay~

[member="Jen"]

Veiere nodded firmly in approval, "Sriluur it is then..." He replied thoughtfully. It had been quite a time since he had last stepped voluntarily into the lions den; not since Mimban and Gyndine had he openly walked into a hostile territory with the intent of finding some sort of benefit for their people. "I will ask around of my own accord for information as to how I might meet with the man, it will give me a bit of insight as to just how much [member="Flannigan Mcnash"] actually hears". He would need to go armed, though had little intention of actually entering into combat with the man; something he wasn't sure that [member="Lady Kay"] had understood yet the first visit would be a courtesy and a request to cease his current actions and desires to see her harmed, physically or emotionally.

"[member="Ultimatum"] would be better of being present here while working on this, not only would he have whatever access he requires with your approval, but also for your comfort in knowing and being able to keep in the loop of all that he will be doing to counter this hack" He stood slowly to look to Kay out of concern, "Besides, the more friends in your employ at the moment, the better protected you will be in my absence. I don't enjoy the notion of leaving you to the wolves but the Hutt Cartel are a pack of them that we cannot ignore..." Veiere would soon dip his head in a casual bow yet out of respect and care for her before moving to approach the entrance to her office; "I'll send word when I arrive and if I learn anything, you will know of it".

[member="Jen"]

Concluding Veiere's part in the thread.

Ultimatum looked at the message before turning his attention to preparing to travel. First he needed to electronically set up the command system for his absence. It was the same one he had utilized for quite some time now, Legion taking control of his responsibilities, except for those that directly required the AI. Next he had to board his ship to reach the Sovereignty which would be heading to Commenor. While on the way he would need to begin work on the datapad. If he could prepare a sterile, secure digital environment to work with the hank then there would be nothing to fear with regards to an infection from the malware.

From the droid's perspective, malicious software was like dealing with a dangerous infection. However, unlike normal viruses and diseases, for the most part software had a near instantaneous and normally lethal effect. He had to be prepared to deal with such threats as best as possible. The immune system of his AI was advanced because of this, although it would take some work to break through it was not impossible even then.

He sent a message reply as he stepped aboard his transport.
Dear President,

I will be there soon. I hope that you remain safe until such a time as I can resolve this issue.

Ultimatum

The Sovereignty was out of the system within the hour and beginning the relatively short journey to Commenor. In a perverse sense he was looking forward to seeing what this was, he trusted his capability to handle this and did not expect too much trouble. He had trained for a time in the greater galactic slicing arts and had looked over the coding used by some of the greater well known slicer, he knew some of the signatures and giveaways as well as a number of tricks of the trade. Hopefully this would help him deconstruct the code enough to figure out who was behind it as well as how to secure the computers against it for the future.

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

Kay nodded to [member="Veiere Arenais"] while he spoke of making his own way to [member="Flannigan Mcnash"] . She knew him better than to go headlong into danger, so she had faith in him and his abilities. "Be safe, Veiere. And may the Force be with you."

She watched him take his leave. It left her with some hope at least that he could get to the bottom of this.

Another beep interrupted her thoughts, indicating another message. She read it over and then responded:

~ [member="Ultimatum"],

I look forward to your visit. You may land your ship near the Presidential Palace. I shall inform the guards of your arrival and have you brought to my office. Safe travels, my friend.

Kay~.

She sent off the message through the appropriate channels and then went up to her bedchambers to try to get a bit of rest before her friend's arrival.

[member="Jen"]

Ultimatum arrived a few hours later, madly preparing the safe environment for this dangerous program. He had come to the conclusion that the most secure way of keeping his programs safe while still being able to interface to the codes was to connect the infected datapad to a wireless-disabled terminal and then unravel the coding one piece at a time. Obviously it would be a lengthy procedure, an hour or so at least to get to the heart of the problem, but then it probably took just as long if not longer to make it. Unless of course this was a case of using one of the plethora of for sale software viruses to be found in the darker parts of the HoloNet and its more clandestine cousins.

The droid was most grateful for the ability to land his ship and get straight to the work without having to go through lots of security checks and related events. He walked towards the waiting room while one of the staff went to check on [member="Lady Kay"]. The droid was finalizing his systems for the work ahead and the terminal was set in a case he had with him. All the necessary equipment was in hand and the droid believed that he could handle the problem from there. He merely awaited his friend's go ahead, after all it was not polite to proceed on such an operation without the consent.

Kay-Larr

Kay yawned as she was informed of [member="Ultimatum"] 's arrival. She had gotten a few winks of sleep at least, but not enough for a full night's rest. All of that was put aside as soon as she had realized that her datapad and/or holomail account had been hacked. Fortunately there was tea already brewed for her. Once she was dressed, she carried the mug and her datapad out of her office to where Ultimatum was waiting.

While she walked, she sipped her tea, going over various things in her mind. Of course she was a bit worried for [member="Veiere Arenais"] , but she had to push that aside. The Jedi would be fine. He was very much a Master in his abilities. He just didn't have the formal title. Instead he was a Knight, her Knight, a Knight of Commenor. Perhaps one of these days she'll be brave enough to tell him how she felt. It was all just a matter of time.

Kay entered the room where Ultimatum was waiting and smiled. "Morning. You arrived sooner than I expected. But thank you. I hope that this doesn't take too much of your time. Here's the datapad that I was using." She handed it to him. It was still shut off as she was worried about turning it on. "In my account you'll find the message that I apparently sent out to [member="Flannigan Mcnash"] , only I didn't do it. Someone else did. And no one else has access to my account other than me." Not even staff.

[member="Jen"]

"My apologies, I guess I will head back then and return in a few hours," he replied in a deadpan voice, only given away by the faint smile he had on. The situation was serious, but the droid was always glad to her. She exuded the light that the droid desperately wanted to have within him, and yet knew that it was impossible for him to do so. He then turned his attention to the datapad handed to him. It seemed normal, nothing particularly incriminating on the very surface, but like a disease ridden animal, there was no telling what festered within. "Let's see what we have."

Opening his case he pulled a connector wire to the datapad and attached the two. Powering up the terminal first he checked to make sure the connection was secure and that the computer had no wireless connection with anything else. Turning on the datapad everything seemed to be normal. Ultimatum began by running basic checks on security measures, seeing if it had connected with anything and what it was. The computer began working through the various portions of the datapad's programs. It was a process that would have been so much faster if Ultimatum could have loaded it to his own mainframes, but then again keeping his computers safe from potential hacks was more important than the speed of resolving an issue. "It's working right now, it will take time to get to the bottom of this. But once I know how it got infected, I can hopefully make a security against it so you won't have the same problem twice."

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

Kay smirked as [member="Ultimatum"] made his joke. It was good that he had developed a sense of humour. It helped to make her feel better. Laughing had that affect. She sipped her tea as she watched him get to work. Ultimatum was far better suited for this kind of task than her own tech saavy people. The speed at which he and his systems worked were far superior than what an organic could do. At least, that was her opinion.

She went to her desk, placing her tea cup on top, while she picked up another datapad and turned it on. Through all of the commotion, she had forgotten the two children that had contacted her earlier. "Thank you. I had changed the password on my public account once I discovered that I had been hacked. I might close it all together, but thee's a couple of new students for the University that I have to reply to first. They are expecting to be picked up in a couple of days." She accessed her public holo-mail, noting that there was no new message from the two. So, she whipped up a reply from their last one.

~Topic: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Kay, you're my only hope
To: Vhiran and Nima

I'm terribly sorry for the delay. I hope that you two are well. Your pick up is scheduled for two standard day's time. There is a dorm room that will be ready for you, as well as a small group of students that are eager to show you the campus. I look forward to meeting you both and watching you play.

Madam President Kay.
Presidential Palace.
Chasin City, Commenor.~

She sent off the message and then held out the other datapad to Ultimatum. "I was sent a couple of music files, but I couldn't open them. Maybe I was trying to use the wrong program?"

[member="Jen"]

Ultimatum found that the problem was far deeper than he had anticipated, at least at first. The security measures seemed in good condition, that was except for the the momentary break in standard security. Usually computers of all forms were made to be isolated machines, requiring some form of external connection to other computers. Obviously in recent years the external device had become one of the first things to be integrated into the systems of a computers. Nonetheless, a computer connecting to another computer was naturally one of the greatest dangers to a computer. One never knew if some form of software had been transferred that would harm either. Therefore there would usually be security measures to attempt to keep track of what was sent and received. Computers sent a lot of information out and collected a lot of information, making it unsurprising to see a large amount of data in either direction. However, computers rarely sent out large amounts of personal information, specifically the kind that gave direct access to an account. The files sent were further surprising in that where they had been sent was completely gone. Among computers it was not the same kind of message as one where the recipient was simply unknown or had changed location, it was an error. As if the information had been removed.

His work was momentarily interrupted while the terminal began attempting to locate the center of the sent message. He turned his attention to [member="Lady Kay"] as she offered up what she had done and planned to do. "I would suggest definitely changing passwords, go through everything and anything important and change all passwords and security questions. That will at least halt any attempts at the moment, to try and get into your accounts."

The droid continued working, looking over the terminal and adjusting the searches in the system. It was so pleasant to follow, now that he knew part of what he was looking for there was a path that stood out slightly among the code. It was not something that an organic would have easily seen, unless they had been taught well in the manner of computer thought process and storage patterns. It was a newly cut path, amid the naturally careful and precise pattern of a computer going about its work there was a broken jagged line where the virus had cut through standard procedures to make it more effective for the user of the virus. The terminal was closing in and Ultimatum was not too surprised to see the type of virus used. A fairly standard one found among hackers, a good one no doubt, but one that was well documented in the darker portions of the HoloNet. That was the problem with using a one-size-fits-all mentality in regards to programs, every computer was slightly different due to differing data collections and personal settings. When a person created a single type of virus that worked in the same way every time and then sold that program to other individuals, it would become wide used to a degree and therefore documented with multiple examples of usage and potential fixes.

His planned attempt to find a method of extricating the virus path from the surrounding code, which would give Ultimatum a better idea of where it came from and what it was doing, was paused for a moment. Lady Kay handed him her datapad and asked about a music file that would not open. It was not inconceivable that the wrong program had been used, after all, there was such a plethora of programs that could accomplish the same task and were exclusive from one another. He accepted the datapad and looked over the mail, it looked nice enough. Standard messages from one organic to another. Nothing conspicuous. Ultimatum began connecting himself to the datapad, wirelessly. Before it was completed he asked, "Would you mind if I were to connect with the datapad? I might be able to figure our which program the file is intended to be opened by." The droid suspected nothing of it yet. Although electronic mail was a convenient method of transferring a virus it was not the most commonly used. Tricking people into downloading files from unknown sites was a far more commonly used method and generally more successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom