OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To serve as a sort of "starfighter repellent" for effectively combating light spacecraft.
- Image Source: Star Sphere, some other sci-fi website
- Canon Link: N/A
- Restricted Missions: N/A
- Primary Source: The Star Sphere site on the ship
- Manufacturer: Ne-Cal Military Space Engineering
- Model: Essex-Class Anti-Starfighter Corvette
- Affiliation: Open-Market
- Production: Minor
- Material: Durasteel hull, titanium engines
- Classification: Corvette, Anti-Starfighter, Assault, Capital ship
- Length: 120 meters
- Width: 26 meters
- Height: 38 meters
- Armament: Moderate
Missile pods (50 missiles, near the ship's command bridge.)
- Defenses: Average
- Hangar: None
- Maneuverability Rating: Average
- Speed Rating: Moderate
- Hyperdrive Class: Average (2)
- Starfighter Bane: This ship's key ability and selling factor is taking out starfighters and bombers that larger ships would have trouble with. Its fifteen anti-aircraft guns help with that a lot, and it can prove a very useful escort.
- Warhead Modularity: The ship's missile arament can be changed very easily due to its all-purpose missile pods. From basic unguided missiles to top of the line, homing missiles, it can fit almost anything.
- Cheap But Effective: Its construction materials are very cost effective, and these ships can often be made in dozens at a time. Even though it's cheap, it is still very effective for its main function, taking out starfighters.
- Starfighters Only: Due to almost all of its arament being anti-starfighters, it is very vulnerable to heavy starships. Anything larger than a heavy corvette has a very, very high chance of destroying it. Its arament simply cannot penetrate the armor of heavy capital ships, and its armor gets torn apart. It is not immune to lighter araments either, and can be disabled by bombing.
- Not Self-Reliant: Essex starfighter killers don't have unlimited fuel, only lasting for about five months maximum. While it has decent living space, it can only store about two months worth of food.
Cargo Capacity: 150 metric tons
Crew: 10 (skeleton), 86 (optimal)
Escape pods: 8, 12 person capacity