Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved NPC Eriadu Army Troopers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mudtrooper-2.png
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: Provide a rank-and-file military force for the Eriadu Ascendancy
Image Credit: Mudtrooper wiki page/Solo: A Star Wars Story – The Official Collector's Edition, Imperial Academy wiki page, -- Troopers -- by yvanquinet on Deviantart, Star Wars Databank: E-22
Role: Rank-and-file infantry
Links: Swamp troopers/Canon, Imperial Army soldiers, Imperial Army Troopers/Legends, Eriadu Ascendancy, Eriadu, Imperial Combat Exercises, Imperial Academy, United States Army Basic Training, Vandar Tarkin, Eriadu Rangers

GENERAL INFORMATION
Unit Name: Eriadu Army Troopers
Affiliation: Vandar Tarkin, Eriadu Ascendancy
Classification: Infantry
Equipment: Sealed bodysuit, Plastoid field armor (vest and upper arms), Waterproof capes, Blast helmets with integrated DH107 comlinks, Scratch-resistant goggles, Oxygen masks, E-10R blaster rifles, E-22 blaster rifles, E-11 blaster rifles, A280C blaster rifles, SE-14r light repeating blasters, E-11s sniper rifles, SX-21 scatterblasters, DLT-19 heavy blaster rifles, F-Web heavy repeating blasters, Viper Underbarrel Grenade Launchers, Water purifiers, Rations, Flare sticks, Grappling Hooks, Treppus-2 vibroknives, Camouflage tents
Description: Army Troopers are the most numerous of the Eriadu Ascendancy's military units, though the Eriadu Rangers still serve as the face of the Ascendancy. These olive-armored soldiers perform the more routine combat operations that do not require the advanced skills of the Rangers.

COMBAT INFORMATION
Unit Size: Large
Unit Availability: Common
Unit Experience: Trained
Combat Function: The Eriadu Army Troops serve as Vandar Tarkin's rank-and-file ground soldiers, as well as mechanized infantry when supported by vehicles.

Strengths:
+ Disciplined: Though they are not as rigorously or extensively trained as the Rangers, Army Troopers are still a disciplined, organized fighting force.
+ We Have Reserves: The training of Army Troopers is much shorter than that of the Rangers (around ten weeks), allowing them to more quickly replace losses.
+ Vehicular Support: Army Troopers can can typically expect vehicular support to be available in combat, whether that be tanks or providing covering fire or airspeeders/starfighters delivering air support.

Weaknesses:
- Lightly Armored: Eriadu Army Troopers are even lesser-armored than the Rangers, relying on weak plastoid field armor for protection. The armor only provides protection to the head, chest, upper arms, and lower legs, and cannot withstand direct shots from blasters.
- Rank-and-File: Army Troopers lack the advanced training of stormtrooper-level soldiers, meaning units of more elite enemy troops are capable of outperforming them even in smaller numbers.

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
The Eriadu Army Troopers are the rank-and-file infantry of the Eriadu Ascendancy, disciplined soldiers enforcing the will of Vandar Tarkin across his territory on Eriadu, and soon abroad as well. Like the Eriadu Rangers, Army recruits are selected from compliant nearby villages, though the physical standards are not quite as high as them. After selection, recruits are put through a swift but intense Basic Training lasting around ten weeks at the Maximilian Veers Building, located within the expanded Tarkin family compound.

During the first week, recruits are drilled in the correct procedures for marching, standing at attention, while holding fully functioning rifles. At this time, they are also instructed in the virtues promoted by Vandar Tarkin: loyalty, bravery, and selflessness service to the Ascendancy. During this week, recruits also learn their way around their rifles without actually firing them, which includes trigger control as well as how to field strip and maintain them.

The following week, recruits receive unarmed combat training. They are instructed in the basics of Imperial Combat Exercises, the training routines taught to every stormtrooper and officer of the Galactic Empire. Instruction in analyzing maps and maneuvering terrain is given during this stage as well, and the recruits are given coordinate points outside the compound to find their own way to, to put that training to the test.

physical_training.jpg
Army trainees undergoing rigorous physical training.

Later in the week are obstacle course and teamwork exercises. Recruits must complete the obstacle course, which is set at extreme heights, before rappelling down a 60-foot wall. In the teamwork exercises, squads must navigate another series of obstacles, this time emphasizing team-wide performance instead of individual success. Rudimentary first aid training is also given during this time, including dressing wounds, applying bacta, and improvising splints for wounded limbs.

In week 3, recruits are trained in melee combat utilizing weak, non-lethal electrostaves with much lower levels of electricity, methods for carrying out-of-commission squadmates, and physical problem solving, such as delivering sensitive or weighty equipment through obstacles from point Aurek to Besh. Recruits are also introduced to their oxygen masks in week 3, instructed on their use, and subjected to a chamber filled with dispersal gas. Recruits are required to remove their masks before they can leave, and are usually made to recite information while they are unmasked such as their name or sentences from the Tarkin Doctrine, so that the recruit is forced to be subjected to the effects of the gas while remaining focused.

The next phase begins the following week, where trainees begin live weapons instruction. Service rifle target practice utilizing E-10Rs, E-11s, and E-22s is first, and recruits must fire at progressively more difficult targets as well as pop-up targets at various ranges. The soldiers also becomes familiar with other weapons during this time, including repeating blasters like F-Webs and DLT-19s, grenades such as thermal detonators and concussive grenades, grenade launchers such as the Viper grenade launcher. The second week of Phase II involves the preparation and use of rocket/missile launchers against armored targets such as tanks and walkers, where trainees are instructed on weak points such as engines, repulsors, and leg joints.

solo-db-e-22-main-image_17d926a7.jpeg

A young Army Trooper wielding a double-barrled E-22 blaster rifle

Phase III is the final, most difficult stage of all. During this phase, recruits are subjected to examination to discover whether they meet the physical standards required of them to continue. Recruits failing to meet the standards are removed from the academy and returned to their villages (after undergoing mental wipes to ensure their training insofar cannot be utilized against the Ascendancy).

Those who pass will move on to the final stages of training, which involve camping on the Carrion Plateau, and field training exercises such as nighttime combat and urban terrain training. There is no access to the compound's mess hall, so trainees must subsist on ration packs instead. Instructors will work to sabotage the recruits in this stage to the fullest capacity possible, actively ruining best-laid plots in an attempt to promote improvisation and instill the importance of a Plan Besh. Trainees in this stage of training will usually also be pitted against other recruits also in this stage, and competition is often fierce between training companies here. This has led to rivalries between graduated companies serving actively, both friendly and otherwise.

The last step to becoming a trooper, during the second week of Phase III, is a special tactical field training exercise. While instructors may advise the trainees, it is up to them to plan and execute the operation on their own. Aggression must be utilized, but not blind rage, and recruits should be fearless but not through stupidity. Only once recruits prove that they can intelligently exemplify these soldierly attributes will they be permitted to become official Eriadu Army Troopers.
While Army Troopers are not as elite as the Rangers, they nonetheless fulfill an essential role as the rank-and-file infantry of the Eriadu Ascendancy and are not to be underestimated. They serve the Ascendancy in far greater numbers than the Rangers and are still capable of performing intense combat operations, with more vehicular support than Rangers are likely to have.

The Rangers may be Tarkin's scalpel, but the Army Troopers are his hammer, and with their instruction in urban combat the Army Troopers possess the training necessary to seize Eriadu City, an event likely to happen some time in the near future.

Mudtrooper_Avatar.jpg
An Eriadu Army Trooper in full panoply of war

Hi [member="Vandar Tarkin"],

Thank you for the NPC submission, you’ve obviously put a lot of effort into it and it really shows. I’ve just got a few points I wanted to raise with you before we can move forward with approving this submission.

Firstly you refer to the Eriadu Rangers several times during the course of the submission but forgot to add a link to the completed codex submission for the unit, here, if you could please add it to the links section.

While I understand that you have based your submission on the United States Army Basic Training Wikipedia article that you provided a link to, at several points I feel that your text has come too close to the article.

Vandar Tarkin said:
Recruits are also instructed in map reading and land navigation, where they must navigate their way to a series of points throughout the wooded area outside the compound.
While the wiki article reads, '[SIZE=10.5pt]Recruits are also instructed in map reading, land navigation and compass use. These skills are put to the test at the compass course, where recruits are divided into groups and must navigate their way to a series of points throughout a wooded area.'[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]While there is a certain level of customisation of the text that has occurred it is still too close to the original text. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]This happens again when you’re talking about the obstacle course and teamwork.[/SIZE]

Vandar Tarkin said:
Recruits must navigate through several obstacles at extreme heights, before rappelling down a 50-foot wall. In the teamwork exercises, squads must navigate a series of obstacles as a team rather than as an individual.

[SIZE=10.5pt]The wiki article reads as follows, 'Victory Tower is an exercise where recruits must navigate through several obstacles at extreme heights, including climbing and traversing rope ladders and bridges. They must then rappel down a 50-foot wall (back-first, with rope harness). In the Teamwork Development Course, squads must navigate a series of obstacles, with emphasis on working as a team rather than as individuals.'[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The specifics such as a 50-foot wall, and lines likes ‘as a team rather than as’ show too high an area of correlation between the two. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]This happens again when talking about the field exercise on Carrion Plateau. You say,[/SIZE]

Vandar Tarkin said:
Instructors will do their best to work against working against the recruits in this stage by trying to foil plans.
[SIZE=10.5pt]While the wiki states, '[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Drill sergeants will make much of this in adversarial process, working against the recruits in many of the night operations by trying to foil plans'[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Al you can see. this is the exact wording that is used in the Wikipedia article. Directly after you state, [/SIZE]

Vandar Tarkin said:
Other companies in the same stage of training may join in mock nighttime combat scenarios, with intense competition to prove their particular company the better trained.

While the wiki says, '[SIZE=10.5pt]Other BCT companies also in their FTX weeks may join in simulated combat scenarios, generally at night, with intense competition to prove their particular company the better trained.[/SIZE]]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Again, you have copied the Wikipedia verbatim here instead of writing up the idea in your own worlds. This happens again with the field training exercise when you say.[/SIZE]

Vandar Tarkin said:
Because being a soldier is an extremely hazardous job, recruits must demonstrate extreme aggression and fearlessness, tempered by intelligence and common sense. Only those that demonstrate these vital attributes will be permitted to finally become official Eriadu Army Troopers
[SIZE=10.5pt]While the wiki says, '[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Because being a soldier is potentially an extremely hazardous job, recruits must demonstrate extreme aggression and fearlessness, tempered by intelligence and common sense.[/SIZE] Only those that demonstrate these vital attributes will be permitted to move on to AIT (Advanced Individual Training)'

[SIZE=10.5pt]Again, a word for word copy for the most part, only changing where they’re going to end up.[/SIZE]

While it is ok to draw inspiration from star wars, from other shows and books and even the real world copying someone else’s work word for word is not acceptable under the current codex rules, the specific rule which I have quoted below.
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]Plagiarism will not be tolerated. Small excerpts may be included from other sources in a sub, but they must include a credit, link, and be clearly marked.[/SIZE]

While some small excerpts as quotes are acceptable what you have done is copied the Wikipedia article and then altered enough words to make it relevant to your purpose. Although I can understand the desire to do so I’m going to have to ask that you please re-write at least the section I have quoted to put the ideas into your own words instead of someone else’s.

Thanks for pointing out the lack of a Ranger link, I didn't realize I neglected to link to them. That part has been added to the links section. I have also added the Treppus-2 vibro-knife to the list of gear after realizing I forgot to add a knife during the initial posting.

I have made changes to the portions you have quoted for me while maintaining the spirit of the source, and have added 10 feet to the rappel wall, as well as performed some minor re-wording here and there to further differentiate the wording of my entry from the Basic Training wikipedia page.

[member="John Locke"] | [member="Vandar Tarkin"]

Nicely done! I like the tidbits of realism you've managed to put in and the way you've broken up the sub with a little art. Overall, I found that this was a pretty good read and it looks like most issues were cleared up.

As a general reminder though, it's fine to emulate other genres that we like, but, be sure to always put it in your own words or use direct quotes that must be credited, linked, and marked appropriately.

The only small thing I noticed was the following:

+ Vehicular Support: Army Troopers can tend to rely on vehicular support in combat, whether that be tanks or aerial superiority.
When it states that the Troopers "rely" on vehicular support that almost makes it sound like a "crutch" in which case that ought to be more of a weakness. I think you really meant to say that they are capable of using a variety of vehicular support in combat. Either way, I can approve it as is, but you might want to adjust the wording just to be clear for anyone else reading it.

Take a peek and then tag me when ready. Thank you!

[member="Vandar Tarkin"] Wonderful! You did a good job with all of those adjustments. Between this submission, and the others, you should be very proud of yourself. That's a lot of elbow grease. Enjoy!!

Approved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom