Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Encircled

Deep below the surface of Sullust one could find true darkness. This wasn’t the darkness of night, where the world was etched in charcoal. This was a total, all encapsulating darkness that engulfed everything. No matter how long one sat with eyes open, nothing but a homogeneous field of obsidian would appear.

Sat cross-legged in the middle of the room, Jacen was as still as he had been for the last four hours. A glass of water sat untouched at his side. The resounding silence seemed like something that stifled sound by its weight, when it was merely the absence of sound. Thick duracrete walls cut out any influence that could disturb his work.

The Jedi Marshal was searching for something.

He searched for the predatory spider that had stalked the weaver in her own web. He looked for the reason that [member="Adele Adonai"] was currently recovering in the healing chambers she usually walked. This was something he had never attempted before. He’d witnessed it, as A’dele crossed infinite distances from the comfort - or lack thereof - of a meditative position. Time and space were not the limitations to the Force that they were to the physical world.

What he lacked in skill, he made up for in determination.

Suddenly there was light. A single candle flickered to life, an unwelcome intrusion in the tranquil blanket of silence and shadow.

“You are looking for me?”

“Qorbin Fal.” Jacen opened his eyes and looked to the apparition.

“I’m afraid I have not had the pleasure,” the Sith replied, with an inclination of the head.

“You will,” Jacen replied in a casual tone.

Oh, threatening are we? Fortunate that your inept fumblings eventually drew my attention. I was looking for the other one.” The apparition hitched up the lengthy robes just and inch and lowered itself into a seated position that mirrored Jacen’s. “Perhaps you should come and find me. I can feel that impotent anger bubbling just beneath the surface. Why wrap it up in a false veneer of control?”

Jacen eyes the Master of the Final Order’s darkside cult carefully. Whilst he was not the most controlled of the New Jedi Order, he was more than capable of sensing when he was being manipulated. Perhaps Fal hadn’t been searching for A’dele. Perhaps he had. But he had mentioned it for a specific purpose.

“We’ll meet sooner or later. There are only so many rocks your kind can slither under. A shame I missed you on Omwat. Warrek sends his regards,” Jacen replied stoically.

At the mention of his apprentice, Qorbin’s expression twitched. That visual clue was likely just Jacen’s interpretation of the emotional echo he felt. Whilst he watched Fal, Jacen was carefully checking the mental barrier he had in place, cautious that the Dark Jedi Master might attempt a sudden assault.

“Why don’t we expedite measures? Come and see me. All that pent up frustration, you’d make a remarkable replacement for Warrek. Did she die in the end?”

Jacen nearly lost control then, but it was quickly regained when he saw a hint of Qorbin’s joy. His own deep frown melted away and he smiled. “Really? Does this usually work? ‘Give in to your anger and stand at my side!’ But please, tell me where you are and I will gladly bring this whole debacle to a swift close. No more running Fal. You can have a rest from the pursuit, a nice comfortable cell to yourself. Surely you’re tired of running away from us so very quickly?”

The silence returned. Even the candlelight seemed aware of this and stayed deathly still. No shadows moved as the pair eyed each other up.

“If she is alive, I will find her.”

“You clearly are alive and I will find you,” Jacen retorted.

“I tire of this.”

“Like I said. Warm comfy cell. Excellent view. The food isn’t great but…”

The apparition vanished. Jacen felt that presence slowly recede. He paid close attention to it as it left. He wanted to know it, to be able to recognise it. To be able to track it. The candlelight flickered out.

It struck him how hungry he was. Jacen slowly pushed himself up off the floor and realised his hand – how whole body – was slick with sweat. He gathered his robes from the floor and slipped back into the, finding the glass in the darkness and taking a long draft. He needed to find counsel.

[SIZE=14.6667px]Qorbin’s fist slammed down on the stone altar with enough force to send several items crashing to the floor. He sensed the Acolytes around him tense at the sudden outburst. The silence was palpable. One took a half step back and Qorbin turned to him and narrowed his eyes. The Acolyte quickly shifted his gaze to his own feet. His following was dwindling. Some part was aware that his ever turbulent mood was not helping their cause, but the frustration he felt had eaten him away from the core. All he wanted to do was to lash out at the Alliance. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Perhaps that insufferable Jedi would step into the trap, perhaps not. That did not preclude Qorbin from putting some contingency plans into place. He had sensed Voidstalkers anxiety. He wouldn’t stand still whilst the Alliance shored up its borders. He would do [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]something.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Thaskk, Gorven, come here,” he called. A towering Barabel and a diminutive human female stepped forwards. He was perhaps the greatest swordsman left in the Order, whilst she had a keen intellect and a knack for tracking. “Find our files on Marshal Voidstalker. He will be leaving Sullust soon, potentially alone. See that he doesn't return.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“It was good of you to seek counsel,” Omai said softly. The Jedi sat next to one of the artificial ponds on the floating biome of the Sullust Temple. In the distance the sun could be seen flirting with the obsidian peaks of the distant mountain ranges. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“I wasn't going to go chasing him down you know, I'm not a fool. Qorbin was clearly trying to goad me into doing something rash, " Jacen replied. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“I know you're not a fool Jacen,” Rhen replied with a respectful incline of the head. “You worry he will find her again.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Jacen's lips twisted to one side. His eyes turned from the Grand Marshall's to the horizon and back again. “I came back to the Jedi Order to protect people,” he stated. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“And you feel powerless to do anything,” Omai reasoned. Jacen replied with a curt nod. “He cannot harm her here Jacen. I felt his presence attempting to intrude, but this is a home of the light. There is no room for the shadows here. However, should she try and conduct Battle Meditation as she did before, she would be vulnerable.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“You are a naturally emotional man Jacen, you do well to control your feelings and use your best judgement. You are not the only one,” he said. Jacen failed to miss the implication there. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“I know that I don't have the skill to stop him, nor can we afford to chase him down now,” Jacen said. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“And that is why you were wise to come to me. We are Jedi and there is always a path we can follow to protect those around us. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there. Sometimes a different perspective is all you need. Which is a nice way of saying that I'm old, have been around and know a few people you might want to go and talk to,” Omai replied, a rare smile gracing his features. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]There was a long sigh from the troubled Marshal and he imagined the stress he felt escaping his body with that breath. “Thank you. So…where am I going?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Why does he look embarrassed? [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Jacen thought as Omai took a long pause. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“So, this stays between us and is never mentioned again. You have to promise not to cause my old friend offence either. There’s this furniture shop…”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Jacen had never heard of Varunda IX before. Yet it had been in his shuttle’s nav computer. It had barely been a few hours away. The hyperspace route nice and direct. From orbit the moon looked remarkably peaceful. Earth tones of ochre and jade marked the desert and jungle landscape below. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Still, for a remote world the flight control system was efficient. His small vessel lingered in high orbit for just a few seconds before his identity and ship transponder codes were checked out. The holoscreen on his controls came to life and the computer started to guide the ship down the approved flight vector towards the capital city. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]
1300x570_17887_Shop_2d_fantasy_shop_picture_image_digital_art.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The furniture shop could be felt reverberating through the Force as he approached. It was subtle, if he hadn’t been so attuned to the Force he might have walked straight past without feeling it. The door actually creaked as he carefully eased it open. How quaint.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The Ithorian behind the counter turned towards him lazily. For a moment the off-duty Marshal pretended to peruse the furniture for a moment and the Ithorian gradually returned to looking at the datapad she held.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Aawala Lebon?” he asked cautiously. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]She inclined her broad flat head. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Omai Rhen sent me.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The Ithorian spoke and Jacen had to look down to the device on his wrist for the translation. “[I do hope this isn’t part of his foolish new quest is it? Rave would not be pleased]”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“No no, actually he pointed me this way because, well, I need an item to help a friend.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“[Well, if Omai sent you...he was such a sweat man in his younger days. So impulsive too! Follow me downstairs.]”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Jacen felt the flicker of emotion through the Force. His eyebrows came up just a fraction. This didn’t much sound like the Jedi Master he knew. The Ithorian’s expression was unreadable, but he sensed the bubble of amusement clear enough.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Downstairs there was no sign of furniture for sale. Misty glass cabinets contained an incredible variety of objects. Some he recognised, such as the Holcrons. Others seemed as plain jewellery, others were clearly bones or samples of hide. In this bizarre scene he found himself sat at a small circular wooden table with a china cup of tea before him. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“[What you need, it can be done. Not easy and defence in depth is always advised. I advise three things. The Kasha crystal is not the most rare, but they are typically quite heavy. I am familiar with the process and could work several smaller ones into something more manageable. They help maintain focus whilst meditating. Good as a general tool to help hold one’s defences together.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“The Gormak crystal is a modified and specially cut Upari crystal. I can source them, but they are expensive. Once use only mind. When the wearer comes under serious pressure it’ll burn out, but stop a mental attack in its tracks. Once it’s burned out, it's no good until it gets repaired. Needs to be worn on around the head as well for best effect.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Finally I would suggest going and visiting one of my relatives on Kyrikal. He’s a Jal Shey Mentor. They have several techniques to imbue an item to defend against the influence of the darkside. I would suggest once my work is done you go and have the surroundings of the crystals imbued. So...the cost…]”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Jacen decided to put his cup and saucer down. Probably best not to hold them for this part. Looking down on his display a large number of zeros rolled out. Some of the colour drained from his face. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“[Doesn’t pay that well then? Omai was always a little on the stingey side. I joke, of course. Even if you don’t have the robes on I can tell a Jedi when I’m looking at one. All those rules on attachment and material possessions. Not for me!]”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Well then, I’m afraid it’s just a bit…”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The Ithorian dismissed his train of thought with an off-hand wave. “[This I had already considered. Otherwise I would not have wasted my breath. I have a problem you can assist with. We had a shipment...a live one.]”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“An experiment?” Jacen asked suspiciously.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“[Ingredients, more like. It...vacated the premises. It has proved difficult to hunt down. You could perhaps assist here.]”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“That was a large number of credits.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“[It’s a rather dangerous beast. It ate the last three trackers I sent.]”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Jacen mulled this over for a moment. “Is it a threat to anyone?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“[Oh certainly, would be a real problem if it wandered near a population centre.]”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]That sealed it for Jacen. His chair was slid back and he stood up. “Send me the details and I’ll get on my way now.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“[Right now?]”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Jacen gave the Ithorian a serious look, before saying in a stoic tone: “When there’s a task needs doing no point wasting time. Just crack on.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“[I’ll start drawing up some designs. What do you think would suit the lady in question?]”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]That query caught Jacen off guard far more than the concept of having to put down a rogue sithspawn. “Erm…I don’t know. Just something functional?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“[Oh you [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]are [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]like Omai. Think about it. I’ll sketch some things incase...for when you come back. I’ll send the list of organs we need. Oh and bring it round the back won’t you?]”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]There were three heavy knocks on the door. In her slow and deliberate manner Aawala moved to open it. Jacen stood there, in one hand he grasped a heavy sack. The bottom was stained a dark brown and it gave off a particularly pungent aroma. Jacen’s face was marred in mud, but several gouges above his eye were visible. Several new dents were clear in the alloy plates across his arms. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Done. Also I...er...I had some thoughts on what it should be like. Visually.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“[Oh so you do like choosing jewellery afterall?]”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Shush and take you bag of bits,” Jacen replied, holding it out. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The circlet was very carefully turned around in his hands. Bringing it up for closer inspection, he found his eyes drawn to the patterns etched into the facets of the crystals. The intricate whorls were almost fractal. There were patterns within patterns and as close as he could bring it to his eyes whilst it stayed in focus he saw now end to how fine that etching went. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“[Rhodium is quite robust you know. There’s really no reason to handle it quite so delicately. It [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]could [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]have been made from simple steel you know, that would have been perfectly functional…]” Aawala said, letting her voice trail off. Jacen couldn’t read Ithorian expressions, but he was certain there was mischief there. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Given the cost of the crystal, it seemed a minor overhead,” Jacen replied curtly, though he smiled after. There were butterfly stitches across his brow now and they had been healing nicely. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“[So to Kyrikal next?]” Aawala asked.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“To Kyrikal,” Jacen echoed as he gently placed the circlet back in its wooden box and tucked it under one arm. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]He felt it as soon as his shuttle came to rest on the landing platform. That signature he’d tried to observe so carefully before, it wasn’t here, but he felt its influence. Looking through the viewport on his shuttle he was entirely unsurprised to see no souls moving on the platform. A long narrow stretch extended from the main docking pylon and his vessel resided on a hexagonal platform alone.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Kark.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]As he walked down the ramp they emerged from the shadows. One strode forwards with long, loping strides. Jacen saw its tail skimming across the ground behind it. The other kept a few steps behind her hulking compatriot. Whilst she moved slowly, there was an inherent grace to each step. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Jacen came to a halt. There was a sad expression on his face. “Are you both sure you want to do this?” he called. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Snap-hiss[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Two scarlet blades were his answer. He nodded slowly he jaw clenching as a resigned expression made its home. His golden blade came to life and he started to walk to meet them. The Barabel carried a greatsaber, the human had a second shoto saber in her off-hand. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Jacen accelerated as he went, stretching out with his senses so that the Force might guide his actions. His robes were abandoned as he ran, a strong gust of wind carrying them over the edge of the platform to float towards the ground a kilometer below. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The Barab hissed as he brought his great blade around. Jacen launched himself forwards and tucked into a roll, coming to his feet to strike at the beast’s back. It caught his shins with its tail, taking his feet out from under him. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The human darted in, pressing his defences with quick blade work. She thrust with her long sword, then gave it a deft flick to move around his guard to strike at his wrist. Jacen recovered, but she’d already stepped in to swing with the short blade. Time seemed to slow as he realised how quickly he’d been undone. That red blade came up from under his face and he was certain it would cleave his head in two. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]There was a sudden flash of light in his right eye quickly followed by searing pain. Jacen stumbled away and nearly lost his footing. He was utterly blind in his right eye. His left hand felt for his face, felt the cauterised gouge through his cheek. So close. His eyes was fine, just temporarily blinded by the light.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Fal sends his regards,” she called. She wound up her off hand to throw the shoto as the massive Barab walked past her, saber held high. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]This wasn’t how he was going to end. Not caught in some ambush by a pair of Fal’s lackeys.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“You can take mine back with you.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The short blade spun through the air towards him. With a calm mind even the impossible seemed achievable. Jumping high and tucking into a roll, his left hand shot out to pluck the shoto from the air. As he came he lung ut underarm at the Barab. It still brought its saber down, but Jacen simply wasn’t there any more and sparks were flung in all directions as it caught nothing but air and durasteel platform. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Time caught up with the Barab and it looked down at the short blade lodged through its gut. Jacen lowered himself into a Soresu defensive stance. His eyes flicked between the two Acolytes. His expression showed nothing but pain. Hers was suddenly apprehensive. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Come on then.”[/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom