Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Vehicle Elektrothermisch Kanone I ( E-t.K. I )

Status
Not open for further replies.
48373ecc2d6bcd10b61a33b84c4421cb--self-propelled-artillery-militaria.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To supply the Galaxy with superior artillery, at a fair price.
  • Image Source: Nick Foreman - No Fly Zone
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Restricted Missions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Vorderseite Manufacturing
  • Model: E-t.K. I (Elektrothermisch Kanone I)
  • Affiliation: Vorderseite Manufacturing, Closed Market
  • Modularity: No
  • Production: Mass-Produced
  • Material: Depleted-Uranium and Titanium Carbide Plating, Durasteel Machinery
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Artillery
  • Role: Heavy Artillery / Bunker Buster
  • Size: Very Large, 34.5 metres long; 14.5 metres tall
  • Weight: Very Heavy, 52 Tonnes, approx. 52,000 kgs
  • Minimum Crew: 3
  • Optimal Crew: 5
  • Propulsion: Quadrupedal, Underbelly Continual Track
  • Speed: Slow, Maximum 35 kmph
  • Maneuverability: Very Low
  • Armament: High

Mass-Driver Cannon:
An Electrothermal Plasma-propelled projectile cannon. Fires 50 cm shells, with explosive, armour piercing, and anti-infantry shrapnel variants. Made from Durasteel. The Armour-Piercing Shells are coated with depleted-uranium, and the High-Exlosive shells are tungsten coated. Shrapnel shells are steel.

Top-Mounted Heavy Blaster-Cannon:
A solar cell-battery powered Heavy Blaster-Cannon, capable of dealing with infantry from all angles, but not powerful enough to punch through armour or vehicle shields.

• Defenses: High

Titanium Carbide Alloy Plating:
Extraordinarily strong and remarkably light, Titanium Carbide plating comprises the majority of the armour plating on the E-t.K. I. Resistances to corrosion and heat damage, as well as longevity make this the optimal armour choice.

Depleted Uranium Inner Plating:
Much heavier and denser than the outer Titanium Carbide plating, this Uranium shell contains the Cabin where the operators reside. It also lines the shell storage, but is used sparingly.

Ion Surge Shield:
The ISS is resistant to Ion Disruption, and functions as a foil, preventing them from rendering the entire gun useless. It is located within the Operator’s Cabin, and has a secondary backup generator. A large enough barrage of Ion Disruptions or a sizeable EMP could theoretically down the shield.

• Squadron Count: None
  • Passenger Capacity: 0
  • Cargo Capacity: Large
SPECIAL FEATURES

• Because the cannon is Electrothermal in design, the shells are fired with pure electrical energy. They require no chemical reaction or fuel cell, and pack the punch of a physical slug, capable of passing through Ray Shielding unhindered. Unfortunately, EMPs can almost entirely disable the gun, and the Ion Surge Shields present onboard are just as susceptible.
  • The batteries upon which the gun are dependant are solar powered and stored above the shell compartment, just behind the barrel.
  • While Quadrupedal in design - and while it uses its legs to stabilise while firing - the E-t.K. 1 has an Underbelly Continual Track, upon which it can rest. Drawing its legs off the ground and resting upon this track, the gun can move at speeds of up to 35 kmph. These treads can be prone to breakage, and are susceptible to anti tank mines, much more so than the noticeably slower legs.

Strengths:

• Energy Scaling - Because the gun uses direct energy input, the round can be “dialled” to any velocity desired - based on the energy reserves - allowing the projectile to reach speeds at which it would “outrun” the burn rate of conventional mass projectiles. The rounds can usually max out at 2.5-3 km/s.
  • Self-Sustaining - Designed to be stationed on front lines and left in position for extended periods of time, ammunition notwithstanding, the gun is entirely self sufficient. The top mounted Heavy Blaster-Cannon and main firing batteries are both solar powered, as is the ISS.
  • Heavily Armoured - The E-t.K. I was designed with defensive offence in mind, to be placed near enough the enemy to bruise but also heavy enough to withstand a bruising of its own.

Weaknesses:

• Unshielded - The gun is not protected against blaster fire by any sort of shield, opting for the physical protection of its nonconductive titanium plating.
  • Electrically Based - While the batteries are self-sufficient, an EMP or Ion Blast could theoretically put the E-t.K. I out of service for a substantial amount of time. One of the five preferred or three essential operators for this machine would be an electrical engineer, simply for the upkeep required.
  • Slow - While certainly not immobile, the E-t.K. I is no speed demon, and moving from encampment to encampment will drain her battery just as efficiently, if not more so, than a full day of firing. She is designed to sit and barrage, not to be an oversized tank.

Description:
Huge and menacing, the E-t.K. I is a single purpose weapon - that purpose being to shell the enemy from afar. In this regard it excels, capable of bringing ships and buildings down, or breaking the enemy lines and reducing them to pockmarked land and crumbling rubble. With the addition of limited movement, the E-t.K. is no immobilised behemoth, and can move - albeit marginally - to meet the enemy of whoever commands it. Capable of dealing heavy damage from a distance and of keeping itself lightly defended from up-close, it is not armed to the teeth, but it is armoured that way. Heavily plated and with special precaution for the crew and cargo, the E-t.K. can take several of it’s own armour-piercing or high-explosive rounds before succumbing to the devastation it wreaks on others. All of this being said, it falls prey to two major weaknesses, that being its vulnerability to ambush due to its slow movement - especially when its treads are broken - and the chink in its metaphorical armour: EMPs and Ion Cannons. These weapons, although precautioned against, are the major counterstrategies to the E-t.K. I. It also requires a trained team of operators, but beyond that is an artillery that is optimised for use almost everywhere.

Koenrad Neistov said:
Size: 34.5 metres long; 14.5 metres tall Weight: 52 Tonnes, approx. 52,000 kgs
We used to use precise metric measurements for a long time. However, with the new template, we use relative ratings for this:

• Size: (Please choose a size between Very Small, Small, Average, Large, Very Large and Extreme.)
    [*]Weight: (Please choose a weight between Very Light, Light, Average, Heavy, Very Heavy and Extreme.)

Please add the above ratings to these fields.

Koenrad Neistov said:
Ion Field Disruptor: The Ion Field Disruptor keeps ion cannons from rendering the entire gun useless. It is located within the Operator’s Cabin, and has a backup generator
Do you have a link to this technology?

Koenrad Neistov said:
Squadron Count: N/A
From the ratings available for this field, I'd probably go with "None: 1 ".

Koenrad Neistov said:
capable of passing through shields or punching clean through them.
Just to make sure I'm getting this right, the shells fired by this cannon bypass shields?

The rating classes have been added to the metric measurements, and the squadron count has been rectified.

In regards to shield penetration, I added the differential language because physical slugs - a la slug thrower rifles, see here [1] - have been shown to penetrate personal and larger group shields that were attuned to blaster fire. These shields would not stop the slugs as the slugs would pass through the shields undeterred. That being said, in SW canon there are other shield types shown to be resistant to all types of entry, like the shields on the Death Stars, or Starkiller base, shields that would stop physical ships from entry. I've differentiated this because in the event that a shield is attuned to blaster fire, these physical shells will pass through on principle. If the shields are attuned to physical matter as well, these shells have enough force behind them to overwhelm the shields and cause them to either momentarily or permanently deactivate. Whether or not the shell continues on its intended trajectory would depend on the strength of said shielding. If this concept is an issue, I would be more than happy to change it accordingly. (The cycler-rifles, as mentioned before, are canonized as the same rifles used by tusked raiders, here [2], although their shield penetration capabilities are only seen or mentioned in regards to Star Wars: Battlefront )

As for the Ion Field Disruptor, I actually saw it on this submission [3], in the special features section, and never thought to double check if the technology existed in universe. I've found no mention of it, upon further research, but if it exists on the SW Chaos boards, I have yet to find it.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Koenrad Neistov said:
In regards to shield penetration, I added the differential language because physical slugs - a la slug thrower rifles, see here [1] - have been shown to penetrate personal and larger group shields that were attuned to blaster fire. These shields would not stop the slugs as the slugs would pass through the shields undeterred. That being said, in SW canon there are other shield types shown to be resistant to all types of entry, like the shields on the Death Stars, or Starkiller base, shields that would stop physical ships from entry. I've differentiated this because in the event that a shield is attuned to blaster fire, these physical shells will pass through on principle. If the shields are attuned to physical matter as well, these shells have enough force behind them to overwhelm the shields and cause them to either momentarily or permanently deactivate. Whether or not the shell continues on its intended trajectory would depend on the strength of said shielding. If this concept is an issue, I would be more than happy to change it accordingly. (The cycler-rifles, as mentioned before, are canonized as the same rifles used by tusked raiders, here [2], although their shield penetration capabilities are only seen or mentioned in regards to Star Wars: Battlefront )
Shield technology is pretty nebulous in Star Wars, and there's even conflicting information about shields depending what source you look at.

In general though, there are two main types of shielding in Star Wars when it comes to vehicles and starships: Particle shielding and Ray shielding. Ray shielding, while the most common combat shielding (especially as objects get smaller), does not protect against projectiles. Ray shielding devices are by far the most common type of personal shielding used canonically (since blasters are the most common hand held weapons), which is how this ties into the cycler weapon that you've mentioned. A physical shell would likely not have much problem penetrating this shielding.

Particle shielding, however, is designed specifically to block physical objects like shells. More likely than not, you will see it separately or as part of a deflector shield package (depending on tradition or what source you use, deflector shielding protects against both energy and physical weapons, or is actually a ray shield and particle shield packaged in one unit). This is common shielding technology on vehicles and even on some fortifications.

My recommendation would be to state that these shells can penetrate through ray shielding.

Koenrad Neistov said:
As for the Ion Field Disruptor, I actually saw it on this submission [3], in the special features section, and never thought to double check if the technology existed in universe. I've found no mention of it, upon further research, but if it exists on the SW Chaos boards, I have yet to find it.
I'd recommend replacing it with Ion shielding or Ion Surge Shielding to avoid some confusion. This functionally provides a very similar effect to what you're looking for. The ion field disruptor mentioned in the sub that you linked seems to do something else (prematurely detonate warheads). There is canon technology like that goes by a variety of names. Just to add to the confusion, ion disruptors are also thing, which is also clearly not we're trying to accomplish here.

Alright, the changes have been made accordingly, and thank you for pulling up those sources, it was quite helpful. Is there anything else that needs changing before we're good to go?

[member="Gir Quee"]

Koenrad Neistov said:
Ion Surge Shield: The ISS generator keeps ion cannons from rendering the entire gun useless. It is located within the Operator’s Cabin, and has a secondary backup generator.
No shielding is impervious to weapon's fire. If you'll slightly reword this to something like "The ISS generator makes the gun resistant to ion weapons" or something similar to that. I'd also recommend hyperlinking "Ion Surge Shield" to the Wookieepedia article.

Koenrad Neistov said:
Unfortunately, EMPs can almost entirely disable the gun, and the Ion Field Disruptors present onboard are just as susceptible.
If you'll change the ion field disruptor reference to the the Ion Surge Shield here.

Otherwise, I think we're ready.

Koenrad Neistov said:
Manufacturer: Vorderseite Manufacturing Model: E-t.K. I (Elektrothermisch Kanone I) Affiliation: Vorderseite Manufacturing, Closed Market Production: Mass-Produced Material: Depleted-Uranium and Titanium Carbide Plating, Durasteel Machinery
Just noticed that we're missing the "modularity" field here from the template.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom