Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship EF-A Drone Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
800px-Hiyodair_S38.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

Intent: To provide a baseline drone fighter for use by EODD and buyers
Image Source: No Man’s Sky
Canon Link: N/A
Restricted Missions: N/A
Primary Source: N/A

PRODUCTION INFORMATION

Manufacturer: EODD
Model: EF-A Drone Fighter
Affiliation: Free Worlds Coalition, Metal Lords, Closed Market
Production: Minor
Material: Durasteel, starfighter components

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Classification: Drone Starfighter
Length: 9.5m
Width: 5.5m
Height: 6m
Armament: Low,
  • 2x Heavy Laser Cannon
  • 1x Proton Torpedo launcher (4 unit payload)
Defenses: Very Low

Squadron Count: Very High: 24
Maneuverability Rating: Moderate
Speed Rating: High
Hyperdrive Class: N/A

STANDARD FEATURES

Vortex Stabilizer
Ion Engine
Data transmission software
Drone control system
Sensor array

ADVANCED SYSTEMS

KR-770 Targeting Computer
Ion Maneuvering Jets
Retractable Ventral Proton Torpedo Launcher

Strengths:

Speed & Maneuverability: The EF-A Drone Fighter is a small and nimble craft, owing to many systems required to support a pilot being unnecessary to a remotely operated fighter. In addition to its ion drive engine, it possesses maneuvering jets to aid in performing feats of turning and positioning that would be highly difficult for larger fighters.

Swarm Fighter: The EF-A is built to deploy in large numbers, leaving it vulnerable when alone, but a dangerous when in groups to fighter squadrons. While they won’t be much more than a nuisance to ships larger than 1500m or those with high-count point defense systems, they can prove quite capable against cruisers and smaller ships when deployed en mass.

Weaknesses:

Defenses: Specifically a lack thereof. The EF-A is designed to be deployed in large numbers and swarm targets rather than survive a battle. Units have no shielding systems, with only the durasteel plating on the outside providing any sort of defense.

Range: Not intended for long range missions, the EF-A is limited to the local range of its deployment point, whether that be a starship or on-planet base. They also lack hyperdrives of any sort.

Electronic Warfare: As is common with all droid and drone units the EF-A is significantly vulnerable to ion and EMP weapons, even moreso as a drone unit as once its connection to the deployment point is severed, the unit is completely harmless until it is collected and repaired.

A small, agile fighter, the EF-A is a drone fighter designed to be deployed en masse and gang up on targets both in-atmosphere and in open space. With an ion drive engine and maneuvering jets at points along its hull the fighter can out-turn and out-run many other kinds of starfighter, and can prove to be a major threat to enemy fighters while in groups with its twin heavy laser cannons which are protected within the nose of the fighter, and a proton torpedo launcher is held within the underside of the hull, able to be retracted as necessary.

As drones, the EF-A fighters can be set to operate within limited programming parameters on their own, or remotely controlled by users at the point of deployment. This of course limits their capabilities when compared to piloted fighters, as the controllers can only see in a forward arc, relying on data transmitted and interpreted through a sensor package in the unit.

While having a strong offensive array, especially in numbers, the EF-A comes with very little in the way of defense. No shielding systems are present on the fighters, and the only armor plating it possesses is the durasteel and titanium that makes up the hull. Of course, while capable of protecting it from light blaster fire on the ground, this isn’t much in the way of protection from fighter-mounted cannons or point defense systems, let alone turbolasers.

All in all, the EF-A is a unit that can do a lot of damage in groups despite its vulnerabilities, and can provide a heavy amount of firepower when used properly.

[member="Errreembuhr"], this is a bit overpowered (5 ratings too high). We're going to have to reduce some ratings (example: "Very High" speed to "Moderate speed, etc) and/or possibly lower production (example: "mass production" to "minor" production) in order to make this passable.

Is there a certain area(s) that you would feel comfortable lowering?

[member="Gir Quee"] I actually made a mistake in the submission by putting the maneuverability as very high, I intended for it to be moderate but on my original planning doc I forgot to change it from the first idea I had written, so that's my mistake! If it would work for you I can drop that to moderate and take off the two light laser cannons to drop the armament rating to low? The only things I would prefer to keep as-is are the speed and squadron size, as the intent with the sub was to basically have high count glass cannon drones that are fast and can hit hard but at the cost of having practically no defense. So if those two edits I proposed aren't enough I could also drop it to minor if that's needed. I'm still getting used to starship subs and balancing as you could probably tell from my other subs, so I'm all ears on improvements and balacing!

[member="Errreembuhr"], it's all good. We're all new here at some point.

I don't know if you've seen it, but there's a little Excel guide tool here that you can use to figure out the balance of things. It's a bunch of drop-down menus that allow you to select the individual ratings to see as they balance out as a whole.

Your ideas come very close to getting it balanced. Dropping the armament to low, the maneuverability to moderate, and the production to minor gets us to just being one rating too high.

We could drop another rating, lower production to "Limited", or add a significant weakness to finish balancing this out.

[member="Gir Quee"] dropped production to limited, armament to low, and maneuvering to moderate. Went with limited production since with very low defense(no shields and practically no hull armor) and EMP/Ion stuff making it useless I wasn't sure what else could be thrown on as a weakness lol. As for the excel sheet I have seen it, but I'm not quite sure how to use it. I have it open in excel but it won't let me change anything to see how it would balance out.

[member="Errreembuhr"], with limited production, we have this to consider from the template.

Production: The scale is Unique (Only One Character), Semi-Unique (Maximum of 10 characters), Limited (Only one small group of characters. IE: Small task force, not entire factions.), Minor (Large groups of characters. (IE: Multiple factions, companies, or groups.), Mass-Produced. (Anyone.) Characters refer to NPCs & PCs. For production limitations on who can make what, please see For more details see the Star Ship rules)))
Given that limited now refers to a small group of characters, we have to be a bit more selective of who can use this. So with that said, we have to narrow down the affiliation to something more specific than the factions that you've mentioned.

Alternatively, we could move production back to minor and change something else.

Stats and balancing look solid.

Errreembuhr said:
r, and can prove to be a major threat to enemy fighters while in groups with its paired light and heavy laser cannons. The two light cannons are located under its wings, while the two heavy cannons are protected within the nose of the fighter, and a proton torpedo launcher is held within the underside of the hull, able to be retracted as necessary.

If you'll remove the references to the light cannons here, we should be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom