Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge of the Galaxy: Chapter Two: The Black Ball

cc85c0637af35b86e97eb538e70a1deb.jpg

[member="Jak Sandrow"]- [member="Formorta"]- [member=B1-A-90]

After a brief stop off the crew of her vessel that had escaped found themselves on Dromund Vatsu. She was down to about three followers and a few odd mercs and treasure hunters. Dromund Vatsu was wicked world of mountian, swamp and sea. It was also the world where her contact had given her bad information.

She was here for one reason only, to hunt him down.

And as luck would have it, today was a unique event. The High Warlord of Dromund Vatsu was holding a ball. After a collapse of the planets hierarchy, the warlord had seized contol, outfitting his troopers in old Imperial tech. As she stepped off the ramp towards the yawning palace, of black angular edges, lightning struck.

The walkway into the ball was lined with guards clad in Stormtrooper armor of old variants. Up farther ahead at the doors flanked two Gamorrean guards. Further in was the ballroom, wide an cavernous, with banners of black and red. A hearth that burned furiously and dance floor ringed with chairs and bars.

Even further in, on the second level up heavily guarded stairs was the Warlords court room. Where her contact would surely be licking his boots on an evening such as this.

She grinned, moving towards the doors, half melted Katana sheathed at her back and pistols at her side. The force pike she carried was also strapped to her back, forming an X.

"We are here for one reason only. To punish for the loss of my ship and my crew. follow my lead."

They approached.

"Halt."

Valeria halted, producing her identichip and papers.

"Here to see Dressel."

Jak Sandrow

"Nobody cares for the woods anymore."
Jak was at her side, exoframe visible but pistols holstered. They were empty, but it was a sign of good faith anyway... for as long as that would last.

The plant life around him was already rejuvenating his life force, the plants bolstering themselves in his presence as well. Though it was dark and cloudy, they grew just a little taller, healthier, and settled into the soil just a little more. He murmured to [member="Valeria Skyrender"], "I'm feeling a lot better about our chances here... at least we only have to deal with armor here."

Once they had made their way inside, he stayed the mute assistant, nodding with her instructions.

"I'm with her," he answered, when the guards asked him for his papers.

The galaxy was full of exceptional beings, Brent wasn't one of them. Many were great with guns or the Force or massive strength or persistent charisma. Brent didn't have any of these things, the only thing he had was exceptional persistence. The man didn't give up, no matter how far the trial took him and he was willing to always find a solution. That's why the FOSB had recruited him from the rank and file stormtroopers. And that's why he was here.

Brent believed in justice and doing the right thing. Maybe that made him indoctrinated. Or maybe just misguided, but that was why he joined the service.

What started as a local drug bust investigation on Vassek had led Brent on a full-fledged gang bust. Any other agent would have been glad, stopped at that, put in a promotion request, filed the paperwork and enjoyed the leave it came with. But Brent was persistent. The gang was just a cell, one of many lower leveled goons that were spread across Force knows how many systems. The trail led him here. Brent knew taking down this leader wouldn't do much; eventually he'd be replaced by someone else. The void would be filled. The cycle would go on. But. At least someone would have a chance.

The agent reclined back, nursing the glass of Ale in his hands like a good guest. For now he was under the alias Nikoli Jones, a low to mid level crime lord and Independant contractor as a guest and potential business partner for the warlord of this bland world. He was just one of many, honestly a face among the sea. His black shell spider silk suit and navy blue dress shirt were designed to be subtle, to not attract attention to himself or the DC-44 concealed under his coat. Brent's eyes roamed across the ball room from his place next to the bar.

One thing was for sure; by the time he left, this job would be done. And the warlord would be dead.

[member="Jak Sandrow"] I [member="Valeria Skyrender"]

[member="Jak Sandrow"] [member="Brent Smith"]

Palace-Moving to Main Foyer

"Dressel? That old shag?"

Valeria nodded, running a cool gaze across the both of them as they checked her out. Up and down they looked, seeing her weapons. One of the Stormtrooper clad guards shook his head.

"You'll have to remove your pistols, and hand over those blades."

Valeria growled, waving a palm at him. Her voice was ladden with influence as she squeezed his mind, applying maximum force. She was angry and he was dumb. It was a match made in heaven as she forced her suggestion on him.

"I'll need them. Dressel expects me to come armed."

He cocked his head and handed both her and Jak their card back.

"Dressel will expect his agent to be armed on the other hand. Let em through!"

She smirked, casting a knowing glance back at Jak, then stepped up the stone steps as banners of red and black flew in the breeze. Great doors parted with a creak, their ageing planks shivering. Then they were in. The main foyer was a large staircase, leading down into the ball room floor.

Beneath them hundreds of denizens were gathered, dancing, drinking and eating. Each of them wore a dress or a suit. Each of them wore a mask befitting their species. The doorman approached.

"Where are your masks?"

"I thought you might have an extra?"

"Hmmmm for a few credits ya."

She nodded.

"Give it here."

Credits were exchanged and she passed the masks back to her companions.

"Wear these. Let's make this quick and try and cut through the crowd. Any ideas on the best route?" She asked, donning a black fox mask.

Jak Sandrow

Jak donned his own mask, that of a stylized bird, and shrugged on his jacket, concealing his exoframe for the time being. "Hmh... Stick to the edges of the crowd, but not right up against the wall. Meet up on the far side by the Ithorian over there," he pointed to one of the most distinctive species here, wearing a very big reek mask. "I'll be there in 50 secs." With that, he quietly began to mingle, his Force presence diffusing into the crowd enough that they made a little room for him, but not noticeably.

Once he had made it to the Ithorian, he grabbed a drink and began to mingle quietly, asking a question here or there and feigning interest well enough for a party, as he waited for [member="Valeria Skyrender"] to show up.

[member="Brent Smith"]

Brent watched the two new beings entered the Masquerade. They looked very normal--except the fact that they were among the few beings openly carrying weapons. His black mask resembled a classic Nubian spirit mask, with thin wrything red lines curving along its cheeks, ending in jagged wrything ends. They were either here to make things easier, or harder.

And there was only one way to find out.

The agent gently set his glass back down on the bar, adjusting the buttons on the end of his coat. From his position at the bar, they split up. Well, that's a freebe, he thought to himself. It was easier to approach either alone, than it would be to approach them together. He let out a nasal sigh before weaving his way closer towards the female. For now, she would be his first to gauge, after that he could gauge the male if things worked out alright. If they didn't--well that depended on how badly things went.

"Oh, excuse me, miss? I believe we've meet, haven't we? I'm Nikoli Jones. I'm sorry but for the life of me, I can't remember where we've met before," he said with a disarming grin.

[member="Jak Sandrow"] I [member="Valeria Skyrender"]​

She almost hissed and reached for her half melted Katana when he approached. She was deep in the center of the crowd, navigating her way through the drunken sloppy patrons of the ball. She turned to regard him, eyes staring through the Black Fox Mask.

"Nikoli eh? No I don't think I've had the pleasure."

She needed an out. A way to stall the man, as well as cut further through the crowd to where Jak was beyond. she turned her head, shooting him a look to move on, and scout the staircase.

"Well since we're here, how bout we reacquaint one another with a dance?" he asked, voice dripping with force energy. Again she was squeezing minds, willing him to take her hand as she offered it.

"What kind of work does a man as well dressed as yourself get into?"

Jak Sandrow

He caught the glance, and although a bit worried about the presence of a stranger, decided to follow her lead, and headed to the staircase on his own. He kept her Force signature in the back of his mind though, just to keep an eye on her...

The staircase had two very alert guards, who watched him as he approached, and although they eyed his holstered weapons suspiciously, did not leave their posts. Jak leaned against a nearby wall, not watching them, but scanning them with the Force. Neither appeared to be Force-sensitive to a notable degree, so he wondered if he should start working on them...

Best wait for [member="Valeria Skyrender"] to finish with the stranger.

[member="Brent Smith"]

Brent noticed the woman's reflexive reach towards her sword. It was subtle, but still just enough for a trained man like him to see. She was jumpy, and that was a good sign. She knew she was out of place and in danger. There was a chance she was here for the same reason as he.

"Well then, my mistake," Brent said with a light hearted laugh. "These masks make it difficult to really gauge who I know and who I do not."

As a deep field agent, the FOSB had trained Brent to know when he was being mentally manipulated by Force Users, and how to resist it. But skills like that were limited to people of a certain skill set and training. If she knew he had that, then it could blow his cover completely. It wasn't a risk he was willing to take--besides dancing was a good way to get to scope each other out.

"I would love that," Brent said taking her hand. He wasn't the best dancer, but right now he was thankful his younger sister had needed a dancing partner all those years during her ballroom classes.

"Oh I do your usual," Brent said very casually, "I am a problems solver; people have problems and I fix them. Sometimes I make them disappear. Other times I just silence them. It usually depends on what my clientel wants."

Out of the corner of his eye. Brent could tell her green partner was waiting for her. And she for him. He gave her a turn, guiding them further from the stairs he was waiting at.

"And what do you do?"

[member="Jak Sandrow"] [member="Valeria Skyrender"]

[member="Brent Smith"] [member="Jak Sandrow"]

Ball Room

She could feel his turn and went with it.

Interesting.....

Then she countered with a turn of her own, taking over the lead and cutting them slightly more towards Jak. Her eyes scanned slow and methodical under the mask, checking every surface, registering every guard, their position, their weapons. Then she met his eyes once more.

"Problems eh?"

They kept moving, caught up in the dance.

"I have problems too. Quite a few of which I'm about to solve. But as for me, you could consider me a...... treasure hunter of sorts."

Then she slid in close to him, pressing her body into his. She whispered in his ear, a honey soaked voice through the snout of the Fox Mask.

"How would you like to make some money and solve some problems Mr.Nikoli?"

She was good. Very good. Brent could tell this wasn't her first Rodien round up, from the way she sized the place up to the way she re-oriented back towards her partner.

She was a treasure Hunter. And she mentioned she had a number of problems that needed solving. He smirked, "Indeed?"

She leaned in close, Brent wrapped his hand around her waist, taking a chance to sneak a glance at the other guy. His reaction would tell a lot for what exactly he was dealing with here, friend or foe, lovers or just coworkers. He guessed her whisper had more meaninf than that. She could probably feel his side arm pressed this close. Smart call.

"I don't do it for the money," He whispered back in her ear, his voice clear and smooth. The agent let her down in a dip, guiding her as low to the ground as she could go without fully laying out on the floor. He pulled her back up, seating her close to his body again, "I do it for the thrill. What sort of problems?"

[member="Valeria Skyrender"]

She could tell he was sizing up her own reactions. He was smooth, she had to give him that. this was no mere space cowboy, nor idiot. Still she had no idea of knowing who's team he was playing for. It was her an Jak against the galaxy right now. They could ill afford mistakes and screw ups. The next several hours could determine whether they lived another day, or went down in a blaze of glory.

"Ok I'll shoot. I'm after someone. Someone who gave me a bad tip on an artefact I've been seeking. A ship really. someone who got most of my crew killed, and cost me my last vessel."

She turned, whirled and turned again, cutting closer to the edge, dragging him along.

"So. Who are you here for, Mr Thrills."

It was a bluff question, but his reaction would tell her what she needed to know.

Jak Sandrow

He was getting impatient.

The two people of interest were really cutting a rug, and from this far away he couldn't make out what they were saying. He could try to probe either mind for info, but he didn't want to give away that he was a Force-user, too. He could feel the ripples of [member="Valeria Skyrender"]'s Force influence, and was waiting to see if it would 'ping' out against any other Force-sensitive- besides him, there was exactly one more - the stranger.

He didn't react to that, other than to take another slow sip of his drink. Things were going to get either really ugly, or really good. Sending out a little mental message to Valeria, he gave her the indication that they were under a bit of a time crunch. Hopefully the miniscule nature of the message, and the fact it was a feeling and not actual words, would help keep his own Force signature masked.

[member="Brent Smith"]

It was the old game of cat and mouse, the classic game of spy work. Brent hated and loved this part of the job. One wrong move and he'd blow his entire cover, months of work, and waste hundreds of thousands of credits in investment hours. And, he'd place his own life ok the line and risk the lives of everyone in the FOSB working this case with him.

But it was the best part as well; only for the thrill involved and the chance to make a difference without killing anyone.

"Fascinating," he said at her story, following her first whirl, the other fellow didn't seem to care how close she was. Either he was incredibly good, or just really didn't care. "It sounds like you've got a first class problem on your hands."

She had angled them closer towards the green man, and while Brent was ok with it, judging by the speed she was using to pull him along, he guessed rhey were on a time table. The possibility that they could be double agents sent to end his mission or gather intel from an FOSB agent still hadn't been completely dismissed from Brent's mind.

"I'm something of in-between problems," the agent said, guiding her in a side turn towards the outskirts of the dance floor, "Otherwise, I'd never entertain assisting in yours. Men of my skills can't afford to not be exclusive. It tends to end poorly."

The song ended on a series of gentle, rising high notes. The crowd broke and gave the skillful musicians a well deserved round of applause. Brent waited a fraction of a second longer than the others before releasing her hand and offering his polite applause.

"Shall we see about resolving your problem, then?" he asked with a courteous wave of the hand. "Unless you've decided to opt for another dance."

[member="Jak Sandrow"] I [member="Valeria Skyrender"]

Darren Onyx stood at the bar in a neat suit and his pure white mask. Concealing his face, nobody would know it was him. For the most part, they didn't. Although the man who organized this party had contacted Onyx personally, asking for him to act as an agent. His job was simple: if troublemakers showed up he would dispose of them quietly. It had been years since he had dressed up for a party, so he went all out. Watching every guest, he waited patiently for someone to walk in and start causing problems. Of course someone would, why else would he be hired? Just to act as a security guard? No, he knew better. Someone was coming, maybe an entire crew, and he wouldn't let his client from getting hurt. After all, credits are what mattered in this situation.

It was a couple minutes of eyeing the various patrons before he could feel several Force-sensitives, one of which he was familiar with. He smirked under his mask as Jak Sandrow, an old ally from a long time ago, walked along the ballroom with several others. Without making a movie, Onyx watched his old friend and his allies interact with another man, even dancing a bit. He locked his eyes on the group and leaned against the bar. As their dance ended, his smile faded.

"I was hired to deal with troublemakers," he whispered through the Force, "So I'll give you one warning to leave now." Onyx then focused on masking his position, he didn't want to spoil the party just yet.

[member="Brent Smith"] // [member="Jak Sandrow"] // [member="Valeria Skyrender"]

[member="Jak Sandrow"] [member="Brent Smith"] [member="Darren Onyx"]

Valeria let go of his hand and grinned under the Fox mask. She had him, well just enough to see what he was made of. As she offered her polite applause she sent another reassuring wave to Jak, whom had to remind her they were on a time table. And indeed she was rushing now. They had to catch Dressel before he could escape, or he was whisked away by other matters.

"I like the way you think. Let's go solve that problem. And in return, maybe I can solve one of yours?" She replied, brushing close as she moved past him.

Something prickled the back of her mind. A sense of danger.

She moved to Jak, lifting several drinks from a passing server and distributing them to the small group, to maintain the illusion they were there to party.

"Mr. Sandrow, meet Mr. Nikoli. How is that thing going? Any breaks?"

Jak Sandrow

Jak smiled politely and took the new drink, setting his empty glass down. "A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Nikoli. Ah, no, it's not going very quickly; I just wanted to know if I needed your assistance or if I have permission on my own. Also - can I get creative? or should we stay subtle?"

That voice... that was not one he had heard in a very, very long time. Quickly, he scanned the crowd again, searching for that Force signature - but there wasn't anything he could feel.

Which meant that there was a Force Master nearby, and while they weren't very close, they were certainly in the immediate vicinity. So not the newcomer, but someone in the room... he would have to be on his guard now.

[member="Valeria Skyrender"]
[member="Brent Smith"]
[member="Darren Onyx"]

Still calm and masking his presence, Onyx grabbed two drinks and slowly made his way towards the group of intruders. Walking in front of them he tilted his head slightly, "Evening," he said calmly. His mask covered his entire face, the only thing that could be seen were his mismatched eyes. He slowly ran his eyes along each member of the group. "Are you enjoying yourselves?" He continued to watch them.

He searched for anything, weapons and other items that could indicate they were who he was hunting. However, this was indeed Jak and that was a red flag in Onyx's book. Even if they weren't who he was intended to hunt, being in the company of Jak meant something was up.

[member="Jak Sandrow"] // [member="Brent Smith"] // [member="Valeria Skyrender"]

It was an.... Interesting proposition. Brent ran his hand under his chip with an apraising eye. "We'll see if you can."

She lead him to the other guy, the green one she introduced as Sandrow. Brent wasn't about to assume that was his actual name. This was spy work after all, aliases were more a requirement than a luxury. He offered a firm handshake to the other man. "Good to meet you."

Sandrow mentioned their situation. Brent it didn't take much for the man to guess that he was talking about how to get to the target he came for. Brent didn't know if they had the chance to do the in-depth research he had with the full services of his government behind him. Brent had the intel. The research, and if need be, the backup just waiting a call away.

"If there is any need for my services, I'm glad to assist, Brent said to the green man.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw one of the hired Independant contractors on hand approach. Brent wasn't really exceptionally gifted in the force. When he applied to the FOSB they'd tested him, per the norm. He had tested positive, but barely so and he was deemed not worth the effort for training. It was barely noticable, barely usable but it came in handy sometimes. He could feel suspicion on the approaching man, and more than that, he could see it in his eyes.

With the skill of a man trained in hiding in plane sight, Brent offered a welcoming smile as he wrapped his arm around the treasure Hunter. "Of course. Everything couldn't be better. I'm expecting the night of my life."

His hand reached a little lower, giving her butt a squeeze. Relationship conflicts tended to make onwatchers feel incredibly uncomfortable, it was a good deterant to prying eyes and intrusion. With any luck, she'd catch onto his plan and they'd get a break.

[member="Darren Onyx"] I [member="Jak Sandrow"] I [member="Valeria Skyrender"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom