Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech ECHO DED-3 Carbon Strober

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intent: To create a starship component that defeats lifeform detectors.
Development Thread: Numbers
Manufacturer: ECHO Esprit
Model: ECHO DED-3 Carbon Strober (Detection Evasion Device)
Affiliation: The Rebel Alliance
Modularity: No
Production: Limited
Material: Duralloy and Duranium exterior; Lead lining; Crodium interior
Description:
Designed for sensors evasion at the base levels, the DED-3 Carbon Strober component was developed by ECHO Esprit for the purpose of hiding smaller vessels--particularly medical frigates, as its base purpose is to mask lifesigns--that might need to rely more on evasive tactics instead of blunt attacks.

The DED-3 works by projecting a flickering magnetic field around the starcraft on which it is installed, somewhat like a planetary magnetic field in its designed function. (Because it is difficult to create a consistent and stable polar magnetic field of large proportions, the DED-3 is only effective on ships of comparable size to corvettes, frigates, and small cruisers.) Simultaneously, the device casts positively charged hydrogen, helium, and carbon atoms, which are contained and redirected by the magnetic field in order to encapsulate the entire hull of the ship for each momentary pulse.

The projection of hydrogen and helium particles mask the ship and disguise any radiation (as well as the magnetic activity) as typical solar wind and system matter. The carbon projection toys with bio sensors and negates their ability to detect actual carbon-based lifeforms by creating a fleeting carbon ‘blanket’ intermixed with the hydrogen and helium. The sporadic electromagnetic ‘strobing’ also drowns out heartbeats, further negating lifeform detection.

The DED-3 is EMP-resistant--being an electromagnetic device of its own--but draws a lot of power, meaning that it must be deactivated in order for the ship to start up its hyperdrive. The DED-3 cannot work when firing weapons.

[member="Geneviève Lasedri"]
I have a quick question I want to make, before going further, if this uses electromagnetic pulses(EMPs) to create the field around the ship for these images to be broadcasted, would that not interrupt the ship's systems? i,e; shorting out power and such.

I may be misunderstanding how this is being performed, so I'd like some clarification on that.

[member="Darth Vitium"]

It operates much like Earth's magnetic field with north and south polar points. I suppose 'pulse' was not the best word to use. The magnetic currents are simply switched on and off in rapid fashion, much like a blinker on a car (though obviously faster). It's field projection and not really a burst of EMP.

[member="Geneviève Lasedri"]
I am going to approve of this on the basis of if you abuse it, you will lose it. As far as I can personally tell, this should work as planned, but be aware there will be methods of getting around this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom