Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Duties of the Family

-Shelved-

S
Rowena stared out of her bedroom window with a tall glass of wine in her hand. She was a classic beauty among Illyrian society and she knew it. Although looks can only get one so far. One needed far more than that to get themselves ahead. The Royal Court was always out of her reach. Having no title of her own, she held no claim to being a part of it. Only on occasion during some of the big lavish parties had she even been among members of the Court.

But all that had changed once some information found it's way to her attention. It seemed as though her husband's family were hiding more than she realized; moreso than both of them realized. And she had her nephew and niece to thank for that. For it seemed that House Arenais didn't abolish their Monarchy at all, but merely moved it to a planet hidden away in Silver Jedi Space. One in which the Sith and others would find harder to reach.

Such claims were valuable and brought with them many new opportunities for her to reach her goal to not only become a member of the Royal Court on Illyria, but to join one of their highest ranks as well. And for that she needed to enlist the help of her daughter Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais . Her husband Bastin Arenais would need to curb some of his bluntness, but Rowena would take care of that. For of all the people in the Galaxy, only Rowena could tell him what to do and have him listen. He knew that their goals were similar, and what would help her would help them as a whole.

After having another sip of her wine, Rowena left her bedroom and strolled down the hallway of their lavish apartment, looking for her daughter. "Sara dear, your Mother's calling. Where are you hiding?"

T A G | Rowena Arenais
A beautiful sun stretched out over the gardens, illuminating it in hues of waning yellow and orange. The cool breeze that rustled through lush green grass brought with it heady scents of perfumed flowers. Saraya sat at the edge of a fountain covered in eggshell tiles, an aged leather book open on her lap. This was her favourite time of day. The apartment was quiet. The garden was quiet. The world seemed to be quiet.
One of her sun-kissed feet hung lazily in the crystal clear waters. The soft splash of water as her foot trailed through it was the only sound present in the garden. Until…
“Sara…”
The melodic sound of her mother’s voice trailed through the corridors and out into the open air. Immediately, Saraya pulled her foot from the water, but she finished her sentence before she glanced toward the door where her mother’s voice had come from. A dull thud followed as the book closed on itself and Saraya stood, shaking droplets of water from the end of her feet.
“I’m in the garden!” She called back. Her mother’s voice had always had a radiant quality to it. The wine she seemed to favour only heightened it. So much so that the sound of it was almost as intoxicating as the flowers in the garden. Abandoning her book by the edge of the fountain, Saraya crossed the short distance to the door where she poked her head in. “Mama?” She asked, scanning one end of the corridor before turning her emerald gaze to the other side.

-Shelved-

S
In the gardens. Of course she was in the gardens. And no doubt her nose would have been stuck in a book too.

Although Rowena didn't reject to the idea of her daughter reading so much so as the fact that she tended to read a bit too much. Such lights of fancy and romance stories only did so much good. Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais needed to learn that there was a time and place for that and right now was not it. Not when there was important work to be doing for the family.

As Rowena walked further down the hallway, she spotted the head of her only child poking through the door. Instead of rolling her eyes or giving a look of disapproval however, she merely smiled encouragingly and continued her approach. "Oh there you are, my dear. Come now to the sitting room, we have much to discuss." Linking her arm with that of her daughter's Rowena led the way. "How was the masquerade? I'm so sad to have missed it. You must tell me all about it."

T A G | Rowena Arenais
The minute her mother inquired as to the masquerade, Saraya seemed to glow. She could barely contain her smile as it pulled the corners of her mouth up. Her heart seemed to be racing as quickly as a horse attempting to reach a finish line. Even the memory of him ignited the burning fires of passion within. “Oh…” She began, breathing the word out in a sultry sigh rather than speaking it. “It was magical.” There were no other words to describe it. Saraya could not have found them even if she tried.
Yet, as they turned the corner to enter the living room, Saraya knew her mother would pine for more. She could not simply leave it at magical.
Breaking their link, Saraya flopped down onto the plush sofa and drew her feet up underneath her. They were still slightly damp, but that hardly mattered. Her eyes seemed to sparkle as she set them on her mother and began to plunge into further detail.
“The King of Illyria was there.” A fact she knew would grasp her mother’s attention almost immediately. What Saraya would add after would likely make her mother prouder of her than she had ever been in her entire life. “We danced, Mama. All night.” Saraya said, unable to hide the excitement in her tone. Ordinarily, she would have painted her mother a picture of the evening, but it was all she could seem to conjure. She remembered every moment of it, in such vivid detail, yet somehow it still felt like a dream.
Saraya rested her head on one of her hands and lent against the back of the sofa. There was a look on her face that could only be found on the lovelorn, or those under some mysterious spell. “He was so enchanting, and such a gentleman. There was a dance that-…” Saraya paused, a heavy sigh leaving her lips as a flush of scarlet red flushing her cheeks. “I have no words to describe it, Mama. Nor him.”

-Shelved-

S
Magical? Of course Rowena wanted to know more. Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais knew better than to just leave it at that. Details were needed and as she had figured, her daughter was waiting until she was seated on the couch before she continued. Rowena herself sat down in her favourite chair, crossing her feet at the ankles and tucking them underneath her chair. Even at home she was poised and never a slouch.

She sipped her wine as her daughter continued, and the moment that she spoke about dancing with Adron Malvern Adron Malvern , her expression lit up. There was much praise and pride in her eyes as she watched and listened to Saraya speak. Every movement, every sigh was categorized and read. Everything was falling into place for their family. What had happened at the masquerade only provided even better opportunities.

"Well I am so sorry to have missed it Sara dear. I would have loved to have seen you two together. But perhaps I will get that chance soon enough? Did the King seem just as enthralled with you as you were with him? As your mother it is my duty to protect your heart, you know." Not that it mattered. If she could somehow arrange a marriage between the two, then her rise into the Royal Court would be secured for life! And already Rowena had the perfect bargaining piece to make her daughter even more attractive as a wife to the King.

She just needed to gain an audience with him first.

Alone.

T A G | Rowena Arenais
Saraya could not help but mirror her mother’s elated expression. It was rare for her to do so in such a manner. She always expressed a not so subtle distaste for her ordinary pastimes. Saraya had always tried to please her. She had given her all where it counted, but it had all seemed fruitless. She had never quite matched up to her mother's standards. Until that night.

Every elocution lesson, dance class and music seminar that her mother had put her through had suddenly become worth her every effort in one single night. The minute Adron had looked at her, Saraya had been grateful for it all.
“I’m sorry you missed it too.” Saraya meant it. She knew her mother believed her, but it was almost too good to be true. It was almost a see it to believe it type of story, but her mother knew her well. This was not some fantasy or fairy tale, despite the expression on Saraya’s face.
To answer the first question her mother posed, Saraya could only shrug. “I’m not sure when I’ll see him again.” She mused, almost sadly. The life of a King had to have been an exceedingly busy one. It was pure fate that he had been able to attend the masquerade that night, Saraya was certain of it. In response to the second, she could only look at her mother with a distinct gleam in her emerald eyes.
“I think so, Mama.” Another sigh, another enamoured smile that illuminated her face. “I hope so. I caught his eye from the balcony. It was his mask that interested me. It was shaped like an owl.” She began, in the hope of forming somewhat of an explanation for her answer. “I assumed he was looking at someone else at first. When he came down and began walking toward me, I was almost certain he was going to turn at the last moment…” Though Saraya was staring at her mother, her eyes were entirely glazed over.
Every memory she had of that night ran rampant through her brain, like a rancor in a china shop. “…but he didn’t. Of course, I had no idea who he was when he asked me to dance, but there was just something about him. He was so mysteriously charming; I could hardly refuse him.” Life returned to her eyes as she lifted herself from the back of her sofa to sit a little straighter. “He would not allow another soul to dance with me all night." Saraya nodded as if to finally answer her mother's question properly. "I believe he shares my affections.” The words were too good to be true, so much so that Saraya almost laughed at them, but how could they be false?

-Shelved-

S
Love at first sight. That's what it appeared to be between Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais and Adron Malvern Adron Malvern . Sometimes such feelings were fleeting. However in their case she hoped that it wasn't. If she was to seal the deal that Rowena had wanted to, then her and her daughter couldn't afford to have it all be fleeting. The King had already been divorced once. Who's to say that it won't happen again?

Rowena wasn't kidding when she said that it was her duty to protect her daughter's heart.

"Well, let's ensure that there is another encounter and more. Much more. If you truly do want him Sara dear, I will do my utmost to ensure that it happens. Now you know your Mother, I never break my word or my promises. And when I want something....remember...I always get it. It's just like your lessons. One can't achieve greatness without envisioning it first. So tell me truthfully, do you want him?" She studied her daughter very carefully, already knowing what the answer would be. She just wanted Saraya to think that she thought of it herself. But really all of this had been plotted and planned out a while ago on Rowena's part.

T A G | Rowena Arenais
The question her mother asked was a pointed one, and Saraya was aware her mother would afford her time to think about it. So, instead of answering immediately, she drew her legs up to her chest where she could rest her chin on top of her knees.
Saraya remembered all her lessons, extremely well. The one her mother had mentioned was not a particularly difficult one for her to grasp. She had always been a dreamer.
She let her eyes flutter shut, dousing the world in shadow. Her heart skipped a beat. In the shadow, she could recall the dance she and Adron shared. The one where they twirled in darkness, where his form was demonic, where Saraya felt safe. Could she envision spending a life like that? By the side of the demon and the man? The man himself came with separate ties, that deserved separate consideration. Queen of Illyria. Did she possess the nerve, the intelligence, or the willpower to take on such a role?
Truthfully, when it came down to the wire, his title hardly mattered. He could have been a Lord or a Duke. He could have been a fish merchant or a beggar. Saraya would not have cared. She would be anything he needed her to be, in the single breath it would take for him to say the words.
When she opened her eyes again, she was almost disappointed with the reality that faded back into view. A life with him, even an imagined one, was better than anything she could see or feel or smell. Her wide, emerald green eyes flicked up toward her mother, and with a slow nod of her head, she answered her question. “I do.”

-Shelved-

S
If Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais 's eyes were open while she contemplated her future, she'd of seen the look of disappointment on Rowena's face. Not so much in what she was thinking about, but moreso in the position that she had put her body in. Those knees to her chest with her chin resting on them was the posture of a scared little child, not that of a woman that was set to be Queen. Rowena could just imagine some important noble strolling into the sitting room and finding their monarch sitting like that. It was embarrassing. Had she forgotten her lessons? All those years of study of perfect posture, behaviour and grace seemed to have gone out the window.

She sipped her wine and then let out sigh mere seconds before her daughter opened her eyes. "Drop your knees, Sara dear, it's really unbecoming." Yet Saraya's two words of acceptance of her future brought upon a sudden change in Rowena's expression; into one filled with pride and joy. "You will make a wonderful Queen, with my guidance of course. Royal blood runs through your veins, did you know? That was what I was wanting to tell you. I have learned that your late Aunt and Uncle didn't disband their monarchy afterall. Isn't that wonderful news?"

T A G | Rowena Arenais
The minute her mother spoke, the spell was shattered. Saraya did as she was told. Her knees fell from her chest and her feet hit the floor with a soft thud. When she pulled her back straight and tucked her ankles neatly beneath the sofa, she was the perfect mirror image of her mother.
She was so relaxed thinking of that night with Adron that she had forgotten herself, but no more.
After blushing delicately at her mother's compliments, ever the princess, Saraya raised a dark brown brow. Her mother talked of her aunt and uncle often. She certainly shared the joy that radiated from her in waves, but Saraya was not exactly sure what it meant. “It is.” She answered quickly, not allowing the silence to stretch for too long. “What does that mean for us, Mama?”

-Shelved-

S
Rowena set the wine glass down on the side table, folding her hands upon her lap as her eyes dwelled solely on Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais . Now that her daughter's posture was perfect, it was far easier to speak with her on important matters. It wasn't as though Rowena meant to be harsh or strict; on the contrary, Saraya was able to do as she pleased in her own room. But elsewhere she needed to be perfect. Drilling that into her was all that Rowena could do to make it second nature.

"What does that mean? Why Sara dear, it makes you all the more attractive as a wife for the King. You are the only living cousin to the King and Queen of Mnemosyne; making you not only a part of a Royal bloodline, but also a Princess. Should tragedy befall your cousins as it did to their parents, then my dear sweet Sara, you have the potential of not only being the Queen of Illyria, but of Mnemosyne as well. So there is much for the two of you to inherit from eachother." Of course there was always the prospect of Bastin and herself taking over Mnemosyne's Monarchy. Their nephew and niece were unwed and had no children. Who else was the Monarchy going to fall to but into their own hands?

T A G | Rowena Arenais
Saraya shuffled against the plush sofa cushions.
Now that it was all laid out bare, it was hard not to think about. Saraya had never considered the implications of Mnemosyne’s monarchy. She enjoyed telling people she belonged to it from time to time, but she had never pictured it a reality. Not that it was likely to ever happen. Her aunt and uncle were the epitome of the monarchy, and her cousins were likely to follow in their footsteps. Either one of them would make a marvellous ruler.
Still, the way her mother had worded the sentence did not go unnoticed. Saraya rose her brow once more. “That is rather exciting.” She said, but she could not hide the flatness in her tone. A little part of her was saddened that her mother thought of using this as a bartering chip. Or, perhaps, it was the idea that Adron might not be interested in the first place. So much so that they would need to sweeten the deal.
“Do you think that will matter?” Saraya quizzed her mother in a soft tone. Though she loathed to say what she was about to say, she did anyway. “I always assumed Illyria was too powerful to require alliances through marriage.” She was suddenly, and rather painfully, aware of the fact that this seemed to be turning into somewhat of a plot.

Could she even find it in herself to argue against it, if the result of it led her into his shadow once more?

-Shelved-

S
Rowena's brow rose ever so slightly. No doubt the hesitation in Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais ' voice was due to a confliction in her thoughts. But of course her mother had thought of all of the different angles in which to make this work. The fact that Saraya and Adron Malvern Adron Malvern had seemed to have fallen in love with eachother only made it all the easier.

But now Rowena realized that she had to be a bit gentler in her approach. So she got up from her chair and sat next to her daughter on the sofa, turning herself so that she was facing her almost squarely. Then she picked up her child's hands and held them into her own, all the while meeting her daughter's gaze with an encouraging smile. "Sara dear, it might not matter to you or to the King himself, but to the members of his Royal Court it will mean something. That is the burden of Royalty. Every personal decision has an effect on the entire Kingdom.

Take your Aunt and Uncle for example. The enemies that they had made through their own decisions brought forth their collapse and demise. Even your cousins are very near to falling into that trap as well. Any one of their enemies, like the Eternal Empire for example, could come to Mnemosyne and attack it. Their decisions not only affect them, but their planet. If they weren't Royalty, then they wouldn't have that problem.

Do you understand? It's not about Illyria needing an alliance, but about gaining one in which both worlds can prosper and benefit from eachother."

T A G | Rowena Arenais

Her mother possessed great ambition, a trait which she readily and easily instilled into her daughter. Saraya had plenty of her own goals, they just did not always align with her mother’s. What Saraya sorely lacked was foresight.
She had been so enamoured with the idea of a life with him that she had not thought of the Royal Court or the opinions of others. It was clear that the notion was a distressing one for her, otherwise, her mother would not have moved to sit beside her on the sofa. The warmth of her hands were comforting around Saraya’s, as only a mothers could be. She was right, of course. It had taken Saraya until her late teens to realise the truth of it, but it was all laid out bare now.
Mothers were always right.
“I must admit, I had not given his court much of a thought.” Saraya sunk her top row of teeth into her lower lip and chewed gently. It was a nervous habit, and the moment she realised she was doing it, she stopped. She had already been chastised for things twice today, she did not want to make it a third time. “I understand, Mama.” Nodding her head, she gave the soft hands in her grasp a squeeze to confirm her answer further.
Saraya thought for a moment, then parted her lips to continue. "What do we do now then?" There were a thousand and one things Saraya could think to do, but none of them screamed "Princess". All of them were merely desperate ways to inch herself closer to him once more, but Saraya could not see any of them being logical enough to work. They were excerpts from fairy tales and storybooks, like the night at the masquerade had been. The reality was, Adron was a King. His time was more precious than jewels.

Saraya said as much to her mother, casting her gaze down to their clasped hands. "He must be very busy, being a King."

-Shelved-

S
"From this day forth, Sara dear, you must give the Court every thought. Even now, despite you not yet being attached to the King, you must act as though you are. The Royal Court will be watching and making their own judgements of you. It is they that hold the King's ear."

Already Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais seemed to almost doubt herself a little. Rowena could see it in her daughter's eyes and in the way that she'd drop her gaze.

Removing one of her hands, Rowena placed a curled finger under Saraya's chin and lifted her head up gently. "I will arrange for a meeting and speak with the King myself on your behalf. This is what I have been training you for. Our family is destined for greatness, our bloodlines are pure and strong. You are every bit as Royal as your cousins; you are the heir to their Kingdoms. Just leave it to your Mother to secure your future. He is the one you want and I will do my very best to make that happen." She removed her fingers and once more clasped onto her daughter's hands, her eyes sparkling with joy. "I am so very proud of you."

T A G | Rowena Arenais
Once again Saraya’s mind was drawn to the thought of becoming Queen. The people she would have to please and the things she would have to do to stay by his side. Nothing she could think of made her shy away from the task. Nothing felt too great, or unworthy of her efforts. She nodded her head toward her mother. “Very well.” She said markedly. “I do not fear the court.” The words may not have been true a few moments ago, but the second they left her lips they were the truest she had ever spoken.
The only thing she feared now was Adron’s darkness, and that fear was only a fear of never being able to return to it again.
She was all too happy to allow the slender finger to guide her gaze back up. Her mother had spoken with such conviction that a glimmer of hope found its way back into Saraya’s jewelled eyes. “Oh, will you, Mama?” She asked, shuffling a little on the sofa with an excited expression overtaking her face. Saraya had never known her mother to fail when chasing something she wanted. So really, the question she asked had been moot. It was more an exclamation of her joy.
Though she would likely be tutted softly at for it, Saraya lent forward and threw her arms around her mother.

-Shelved-

S
"Of course I will, Sara dear." Rowena tilted her head to the side a little, with an expression there merely read in a lighthearted way to the extent of 'is there ever any doubt?'.

The sudden hug by Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais caught her by surprise, yet she couldn't help but let out a bit of a chuckle as she hugged her daughter back. It wasn't a full on embrace for Rowena was mindful not to mess up her hair, and she only let the hug last for but a few seconds before pulling back.

"Now you've got much planning to do. You must decide on what to wear next when you see him again so that you can intoxify him with your beauty and noble personality. And don't worry about your Father. He can no longer shield you from the advances of your suitor. I'll be sure of it." Although she wasn't entirely positive that she could curb his tongue. But she would put her best effort forward.

Although Rowena tended to get her way with everyone she encountered, she had allowed her husband to have a little more freedom in that regard. And that was due in part because he wasn't intimidated by her at all. He was the protector of the family and deserved to not always be held on a leash. She loved him too much for that.

T A G | Rowena Arenais
While the hug was brief, it was pleasant. Her mother did not show love in a physical manner. That was not to say Saraya did not feel loved by her. She did plenty of other things to prove that, this being top of the list. When the hug broke Saraya was left with a beaming smile on her face. One that stretched her softly painted lips up to either side of her cheeks.
Clothes had been the last thing on her mind, but she placed a pensive expression on her face when she considered. “Something black.” She hardly needed to think about the colour. It was the only one that made sense. It was pure irony that she had chosen black the night of the masquerade, but nothing fit more than that. “And daring.” She added onto the end. Her free hand lifted to touch the necklace that sat neatly in the centre of her chest. The jewel at the end, wrapped in a silver cage, was a shocking amethyst gem with an ebony centre.
The jewel itself had been a gift, from him. The night of the masquerade. Saraya had cherished it from the moment he placed it into her palm, and since the chain had been added, she was never seen without it. This would be her splash of colour.
Saraya had given no thought to her father, or what he would think of the match. Considering her mother’s assurances that he would not get in the way, Saraya did not think it worthy of further mention. Surely, he would be nothing but happy for her. If not?
She did not care.
However, she did have the grace to question her mother about him politely. “What do you think he’ll say?” Gone were the days of Saraya’s childhood when her father chased away every boy curious enough to look with a blaster brandished in his hand. Gone were the days of her teenage years when he threatened her suitors with intense stares and stoic silence.

-Shelved-

S
"Black and daring? Well we'll get a few dresses picked out, each for different circumstances." If Saraya Arenais Saraya Arenais was to next meet Adron Malvern Adron Malvern among the Royal Court, then something too daring and revealing wouldn't be wise. She must show good taste and not be considered as a glorified woman of the night. But if her next meeting was to be alone with him, then by all means. Yes, a few items much be purchased or made for her daughter.

At the question about her Father, Rowena just smiled that well known smile of hers that she always had when she knew that she'd get exactly what she wants. "Oh he'll be pleased, especially as he learns about how this will benefit him over his brother, nephew and neice. After I've spoken with him, I'll let you know. It'd be better if I broke the news. I'll send him your way after I do. For the moment though he's still away on a venture, but he should be back soon. You'll not have to keep this a secret for long."

T A G | Rowena Arenais

The prospect of a shopping trip was an exciting one, of course. Saraya resembled everything her mother wanted and more in this regard. It had not taken her long to learn that women in this world expressed themselves through fashion. It was the one thing she took deadly serious, even if her views did not align with her mothers when it came to fabric or colours.

The phrase judging a book by its cover was far truer than many liked to believe, but Saraya was not the many.

There was no doubt in Saraya’s mind that her mother could bring her father round to the idea. Especially when it came to being one step in front of his brother. It still made her uncomfortable that her desires for Adron were being used in such a way, but the overriding longing to be with him dominated any thought of speaking against it. Saraya offered her mother another nod of understanding, before sliding her hands from her grasp and standing from the sofa.

She was too excited to sit still anyway. “What can you tell me of Illyria, Mama? I feel I should know far more than I do.” Saraya asked as she wrapped her arms around her middle and paced her way over to the window. She had never been herself, but she had heard all the tales from her mother’s days there as a child. As she reached the window and lent against the frame to look out into the gardens, she knew it would hold no candle to Mnemosyne. Even if it were a barren wasteland, it would be made beautiful by the mere fact that it was his.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom