Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Droid Starfighters: Squadron Size 4.0

Greetings Factory, had a question regarding Droid Starfighters. Per Canon, they are typically smaller than the 4.0 benchmark of a Starfighters (X-Wing) are lightly armed and have meager defenses. As a trade-off they are cheaply produced and can be deployed in swarms.

In 2.0 land, that meant +50% to the Squadron Count.

In 3.0 land, that meant you could achieve Squadron Counts of 36 maximum with proper balance.

In 4.0 land, there is no cookie cutter example of a Droid Starfighter, nor is there an answer to the maximum amount of Droids one can have in their squadron. So, I'd figure I'd ask for some clarification of what the max squadron size is for intentionally underpowered Starfighters is before I begin submitting them. Any clarification would be appreciated!

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Well, in 4.0 land, the average starfighter (mass-produced) has Average stat ratings across the board and a total of 8 points of armament in terms of old standards.

Lets assume the following:
The average Droid Starfighter (a Vulture-Class in this case) also has an armament of 12 points (four cannons, two launchers, making it identical to the X Wing), the same top speed (so Average) and maneuverability, at only 2/5ths the size. Its size and lack of inhabitant might make it less durable, so we'll say Low Defense, and it comes with the extra major disadvantage of having the limitations of a droid brain. That means two available stat boosts at mass production. Thus it can be assumed (based on the five different statlines) that it could field about 120% as much as an X Wing, or 14-15 per squadron, to roughly equal the same cumulative stats as an X Wing squadron of 12 with all Average stats. Rip out the hyperdrive and you can get virtually X-Wing stats at that size too.

Every statline comes in seven different levels beside None, so the lowest a single fighter can have is five (all Very Low) and the highest is fifteen (all Average) not including Weakness bonuses.

A true halfway mark (1.5x squadron) would be something with ten stat "points" per fighter, and a squadron count of 18; each level in Armament is 2-3 gun points beside Extreme, as that starts at 16 and can go beyond for non-starfighters, so a gun count of 4-6 is what we're looking at; maybe three cannons and a single launcher?

I am currently in the middle of writing a guide on how to work out such details when making a 4.0 ship of all size categories, and it includes a graph and a simple list of hard number averages per adjusted anaxes class of ship. Keep an eye out for it because it plainly answers all questions like these!

[Edited because Mobile hates when I post]

[member="Master Savan-Xyhn"]
Please do not provide 'official' answers. That is what the Factory staff are for.

[member="Darth Metus"]
It's a good question, and I call upon the talents of [member="Raziel"] to look at this for you as far as an official policy.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I never said it was an official answer, so you can't accuse me of answering in an official capacity. This is a discussion forum. I am discussing. You should not scold people for trying to be helpful.

That said, 1+1 equals 2, it doesn't take a committee to figure out.

[member="Master Savan-Xyhn"]
You're giving incorrect answers, so naturally I don't want you confusing other members.

This is a question which requires an official answer, not an opinion.

We will wait for an official answer from my staff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom