Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dread & Doom (Canon Item Development Thread)

Alara Slayn

An Existentialist Enigma.
Avalonia, Dosuun

The young acolyte alighted from the shuttle, robes cloaked over her head to hide her viper-like, yellow eyes as she scanned the spaceport and familiarized herself with the surroundings. As ever, Dosuun was a bustling world - a major commercial spaceport that once fueled the old imperial economy in Wild Space. Just a few rotations earlier, she'd sent out a holonet entry to a special someone, a potential business partner in the young Ysanna's long road to ascension. Now she came here personally to see if he'd bothered to answer.

"If, like me, you now seek the ruinous powers and, perhaps to some, unnatural abilities, of the Dark Side, I come to you with an offer. You will aid me in stealing an ancient Sith artifact, and in return, we will divide the profits as is proper. I will meet you at the cantina in Avalonia, on Dosuun. If you're interested, we'll discuss more when we're there."

Were it not for one more additional tragedy to this one's tale, stories like his would be worth a dime a dozen. Rumors of his being severed to the Force - an ability only a being with a great connection to the Force would be capable of. Either way, it wiped the slate clean for this one. And should he decide to take Alara up on her offer, the potential power within their grasp would belittle Force severance.

Entering the cantina, Alara made sure to keep her head low. She kept a low-key gaze, careful not to draw any more attention than she had to. Unlike Sith typical of her age and humble rank, she had no use for bravado - save for when it served her. All that pomp and making a show of her powers was an unnecessary waste of time and energy - time and energy better spent in pursuit of one's goals, rather than making a circus of oneself. And indeed, this hunt's prize was worth more than a Dark Lord's lightsaber - little ceremonial trinket petty people liked to wave around. No, what Alara was going after this time was far beyond any cheap weapon or conjuring trick. It was one of those incredibly rare items that were the dark side incarnate, and she intended to have it.

But first, she'd need support. Now sitting in the corner round table of the cantina, she waited for him to come. If he had turned like everyone said he did, this was an offer he was not going to want to pass up.

[member="Connor Harrison"]

His residence on Avalonia just a stone’s throw from the central park, and cantina where the meeting would take place, was near perfect now. Connor has established himself in the door of the First Order, and now he was on the way up. So, when a cryptic message pertaining to a powerful Sith relic came to him unexpectedly, he was of course interested.

Gradually, his name was surfacing around others and he saw it as nothing but a compliment people had time for him, so in that respect he had time for them.

His charcoal grey tunic and crimson cowl were on as he walked the length of the park towards the cantina he had been to a few times.

Upon entering, it was quite sparse, and he only had to scan the patrons to see and feel one youth radiating a wonderful dark aura who didn’t fit in with the rest. He moved forward, side-stepping a server droid, and came to stand beside the table of the robed girl.

"You called,” Connor said, looking down at her.

It was time to stop seeking support, and time to be the one people wanted to give it to them.

[member="Alara Slayn"]

Alara Slayn

Looking up from under her hood, the little girl couldn't help but allow herself a little smile - seemingly pleased at how things were falling together so far. While she knew the next Sith would be hard-pressed to turn down such a lucrative offer, she was aware that because of her premature age, at least compared to some of her peers, that not everyone took her seriously. Leads were a little harder to come by, as were willing collaborators in her little schemes. At any rate, [member="Connor Harrison"] decided to show, so the odds seemed to be in her favor thus far.

"Connor Harrison", she said, partly surprised, partly broodingly.

A few pleasantries and drinks later, Alara produced a handheld holo-projector from her sleeve. Upon its activation was a 3D model of what seemed to be a cube, but etched on its surface were the familiar gylphs and designs of a Sith holocron.

"Now, this is what I came to you for", she began, her yellow eyes starting intently at the holo image. "This is the Phobis device - an ancient artifact that could invoke fear in anyone by mere exposure. Many have tried to claim it for themselves, but it drove most of them mad. The few that did went on to become the Dread Masters during the days of the Old Sith Empire."

She allowed herself to grin a little, as if marveling at the potential of such a device in her hands.

"Just imagine", she continued, "the power to willingly plant fear and all its variations in any person. The Dread Masters could do it to entire armies, and change the course of battles. Fear of anything you wish to bring up, horror, terror, dread. You can drive a person insane with crippling fear, so much so to the point they'd consider suicide." She barely restrained herself from squealing.

Alara then deactivated the holo, and turned to face Connor. She was far younger, but she tended to disregard such trivial and menial things. What mattered were the results. "So what do you say? The devices, including the core cube are housed in a mausoleum underneath the Dark Temple on Dromund Kaas. The world is currently under the mighty protectorate of the Order of the Silver Jedi as well, so we'll have to break in undetected before we can even worry about the safeguards the ancient Sith Emperor took to protect the Phobis devices."

Resting his head lazily on two fingers, he swirled a drink in the other hand and looked at the hologram, and then the girl as she spoke, clearly noting her excitement and knowledge. Maybe it was one big pipe-dream from a young girl aspiring for greatness.

She was right, for it was a marvellous item indeed to have for your own. The effects of such a thing were a sight to see, and if one could control the thoughts and fears of others, the playing position could be changed in the Sith’s favour if he held it.

He mulled over the idea.

"All very well, but do you have anything else other than a location to go on? And you know this is in Silver Jedi territory don’t you. Not that THAT should be a problem if you know the area well.”

Over a decade should do it.

"Yes, I’m interested. But what’s your story, Alara? You just turned up one day wanting to find this…Phobis. For yourself or someone pulling the strings. And say we find this, then what. Who gets it.”

He sipped his drink, not stopping to take his eyes off her.

[member="Alara Slayn"]

Alara Slayn

"Yes, the Silver Jedi", Alara repeated as she took a sip of her Juri Juice, evidently in smaller quantities than her much more seasoned company. "Actually, it's one of the reasons I need you specifically. I know what you used to be part of the Silver Jedi, so you should know a thing or two about how to slip in and out of their borders, yes?" She then pulled up the holo again, but this time displaying a small galactic map as she discreetly held it just below the table on her lap.

"Dromund Kaas is on the fringes of Silver Jedi-held space. We'll have to get to Korriban first, but it'll be a short run from there to Dromund Kaas. After we acquire the Phobis device, we'll slip back out and return to Korriban to hide there."

Another image then flashed, this time of the Dark Temple and the underground network of tunnels, chasms and chambers. "I already have the schematics for the temple grounds. The Phobis device should be around.. here", she continued as she pointed at one of the larger chambers. "The only real problem remaining is the Silver Jedi that occupy the planet." She figured a few temple guards weren't going to be a problem. The more pressing concerned were the notorious Jedi that had glassed Korriban not too far back.

Alara then turned to [member="Connor Harrison"], at first giving him little more than that same deadpan expression. "Leadership, Darksider. The ancient Dread Masters were ancient Sith Masters who could paralyze thousands with crippling terror. Power like that is corrupting and damning to the soul, but it's one of the few relics left that embody the Dark Side in all its power, in all its glory." A little smile then began to form on her face. "The Sith have since faded to shadows since the fall of the One Sith, and we've been limping on ever since - pathetic little warmongers hiding in the shade. With a device like this, we can hope for a sense of leadership among the Sith. And if they won't come clean, we could always enjoy ourselves and simply terrorize them until they obey - what with the power we'll acquire from this." After finishing what was left of her juri juice, Alara then continued further to talk about herself, presuming that this one was interested in her plans rather than her dead past. "Unlike many, I have no strings for anyone to pull at. People try, even my master perhaps, but I'm usually a step ahead. I'm young but I know what I want, and what I want is authority, power, and to be in a position to effect change. The galaxy's in a sad state. We have to re-instill some sense of order among its barbarous inhabitants - build something lasting, and while we won't get everyone to respect it, we can at least make them tremble in fear of it."

".... No doubt there will be other things kept down there, but for the reward of helping me retrieve this artifact? I'll share it with you, for what will by then be, perhaps, your final test, that is turning on your old friends for good. You'll need the edge to help them, remember the name. Your name."

Connor didn't react much as the girl spoke. He just watched her, eyes flicking to the side now and then, and sipping his drink. While her plan was near suicidal, it was daring and full of the drive that made individuals great from taking risks.

"I'd very much like my name to start causing more ripples than just that of the former Silver Jedi. I have so much more to give, and this is a way to do it.”

He sat up, placing his drink down and nodded.

"Alright. We'll head out there. One ship and the two of us won't cause much trouble, and the Outpost won't even pick us up if we follow the trajectory I have used before. They will be blind.”

He sat forward and pointed to the temple read-out between them with his finger.

"At best, maybe a Padawan or Knight. No Master will be here. Rangers will be posted on guard, but they're disposable soldiers. I think we'll have enough between us to get in and get out without them even knowing we are there. And Korriban isn't a place the Silver Jedi will exactly want to sniff around with, so that's a good cover. And after the recent attack on Midvinter, Silver forces will be stretched in the aftermath. Prime pickings.”

With a smile, he sat back and stroked his beard.

"I hope you have a ship, or a transport at least. I don't fancy taking a former Silver Jedi craft into their territory. Do you have one?”

[member="Alara Slayn"]

Alara Slayn

"I knew you'd come through."

Alara gave a toothless grin of satisfaction as she listened to [member="Connor Harrison"]'s own input, no doubt just as valuable as her plans in undertaking a task so bold. From the beginning she knew that his extensive stay with the Silver Jedi would make him an invaluable asset, and to say the least an immeasurably insightful ally in a galaxy ever eager to pounce on its own shadow. Connor was twice her age, but it didn't even require her powers of psychometry to conclude that he had the evils about him as well - a lingering fire that was fueled on ambition and passion, but tempered with battle-hardened experience from countless duels and fights no doubt. It was an inspiring thought, but also motivating in the sense that it compelled Alara to always think a step ahead and strive for self-improvement, or risk being stabbed in the back by a much more seasoned colleague.

With his knowledge of the Silver Jedi's operations and my schemes, the Phobis device is as good as ours.

She couldn't help but smile as well after seeing that he also seemed to approve of her planning, but nonetheless managed to stifle her own expressions - no matter how spontaneous. In some ways she was expecting an ancient Sith site to be heavily guarded, but after Connor's own insights that it may not necessarily be the case, it only fueled Alara's confidence that the mission would be a stunning success. If anything, a few lower-tier Jedi would make for excellent sparring partners.

"I was initially planning on us taking a shuttle to disguise ourselves, but I've recently gotten lucky in the right Pazaak game. So yes, we'll have our ship." She spoke with the defiant exuberance of youth, but also the cynicism probably more appropriate for cantina scum in general.

"Guess we shouldn't waste time", she said as she stood up; walking outside, headed in the direction of the spaceport.

With a nod to confirm, the former Silver stood with her and made his way out of the cantina into the cool city plaza.

"Going back to what you just said, the shuttle, I think that may be best. Why risk going alone when we mingle with others – not like the Jedi to get too wary over that, and I’m sure we can muddle our way through. Gullibility is one of their strong suits.”

He smiled as they walked through towards the spaceport a few clicks out, past the military barracks and the large First Order spire, surrounded by citizens and soldiers going about their daily duties and jobs.

"You seem to know a bit about me, although how doesn’t surprise me with the people talking behind my back, but I never asked what your story is. Are you here alone? Do you serve under anyone or out to make a name for yourself as a lone wolf before moving into the pack, so to speak.”

[member="Alara Slayn"]

Alara Slayn

"I've thought about the shuttle. Covers our entrance in, but I thought we'd make a speedy exit too. "

As the two approached the spaceport, Alara made a wide detour around the back just before the main entrance. It was a quick but bizarre walk through a slum of a marketplace, past more than a few seedy establishments and the usual peddlers' carts. They still ended up in Avalonia's spaceport, but it seemed to be the older, less used side of the docking bay arrays.

A Dynamic-Class freighter sat on one of the landing pads, and despite how old and worn out it looked, standing out versus the other piles of junk that sat on the others. Save for a few astromech and protocol droids that scurried about, there didn't appear to be anyone around. The ship itself was half-covered under a large steelcloth canopy, which had gathered a considerable amount of dust.

"It's not the best of vehicles, but for the price of 50 credits, I could barely turn it down." Alara slowly walked up to it, raising her hand as she approached the lowered loading bay door underneath the freighter's belly, gently but telekinetically pulling the steelcloth down to reveal the rest of the ship.

"I don't work for anybody, Darksider. If that's how you wish to put it then yes - the Sith are victims of their own hubris, as you may well know. We have an abundance of psychopaths in our order, but no leadership. I think it's time for an overhaul, that's all."

[member="Connor Harrison"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom