Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I Know You?

Beth ran through her morning routine checklist. Hair washed? Check. Teeth brushed? Check. Clothes cleaned & work? Check. Fire burnt out so she could leave? Super check. Had been for hours, it seemed. Breakfast? No check could made there, at least not yet. She had looked through her small box (that had a key she wore around her neck with her Goddess necklace,) to see if she had any food left over. She knew there wasn't any in there, but she just wanted to hope she'd get lucky. Maybe, there'd be a little bit of food in there.

With a sigh, she knew she was going to have to take the few credits she had and try to get a piece of bread, cheese, or fruit - something to last her until dinner time. Presuming she'd even be able to get dinner, at least. Times seemed a bit rougher, more people in the slum. People kept talking about how unstable things were, but Beth didn't really care. She had more important things - like getting food in her. Maybe find a new book. Maybe go off into the cold, snow covered planes to scavenge for some berries and such.

She bundled herself up, pulling her scarf and tucking her ears in. It was going to be a long day, she could tell. With a deep breath, she zipped her tent up. Her little tent was smashed between two run down homes. They had set up a little fence there, where she could take one piece off and slip through so she could be safe at night.

After getting through, it took about a 30 minute walk to get towards the more commercial beginnings of Jygat city. She usually stayed on the edges of the commercial districts - cheaper, more run down. The center is where things skyrocketed, the rich walked, and so forth. It was much easier to snag a deal on some bread or other food types at one of the more run down parts of town. She stopped in front of a a grocer, staring at the sign before leaning against the wall. She needed to think about how she could talk down the price, maybe she could get more than just bread.

[member="Kaine Australis"]

Beth shivered a little, pulling her clothes tighter against her. Sometimes she felt like it was just in her mind but other times she was sure the temperature just randomly dropped and picked back up. Maybe she was crazy, maybe she was just really hungry. But she had eaten something that morning, so that couldn't be it.

The child perked a brow as she saw a man come up, in impressive armor, stopping meters from her and looking at the stall. It was strange, firstly, seeing someone who she could presume had money inside this district. Secondly, did he ask her that question or the grocer? The grocer guy shrugged, grunted a couple phrases that nothing is stale, and went about loading items up. Guy didn't have much for customer service.

As such, Beth saw a moment of opportunity. Maybe she wouldn't have to buy anything. Maybe she could get this guy to do it for. With a sleek smirk, she stepped towards the very tall man. With a soft voice, she replied, "It's called Harold's Bread & Diseased Meats stall by some people. Has really good bread and cheese. Don't get anything meat or else you'll be sick." She didn't really didn't know, but she had gotten sick by this guys meat before. And the guy didn't defend himself, which made her more cautious about his food in general.

If she could only get this guy in a position that she could do a little hand wave, a slight charming smile, maybe she could get a couple days meals from him.

The child wasn't entirely sure why the man came into the crums of town. Maybe he wanted to see what it was like here or find something he was looking for. He seemed friendly despite his rather intimidating appearance. He turned his back to the grocer and was looking at her.

He asked her a question and she couldn't help but shrug a little. She honestly didn't know and the question took her slightly off guard. The question made sense, sure, but most foreigners run off by now. "I don't really know... I don't get much farther than this." She shrugged again, taking a few steps towards the man, rubbing her arms together. She also only got ingredients to cook meals, not really to actually sit down and eat. She waited to use her charms, though, until she was sure she could get some food.

She giggled a little at his comment, "Nope, not here. Probably closer to the center of the city, where you probably came from. You'll want to go where the richies live."

The man who ran the grocer rolled, "Bugger off, then," he muttered seemingly not too keen in the conversation.

She watched the armored man take off his helmet, watching the air come out of his mouth. It must be pretty comfy in that armor. At least, temperature wise. Safe, too. Almost as if on cue, she also glared towards the grocer with Kaine. He wasn't a nice person, but he was probably just broken from living on this miserable place, too.

Her hidden ears perked at the question. Parents? Heh, everyone here knew she was a homeless kid with no family. But, to a stranger, it might be a worry. She thought over her response for a moment, settling on not being a total Debbie downer. "They aren't in the picture," closing the conversation. She shrugged as her hands instinctively went to her necklace, where she began to fiddle with the little statuettes on it, "There are some okayish places if you go further up this street. You passed a few good ones, I think. I... Don't really know, though."

Usually, she'd be more concerned about a stranger offering to feed her. She learned quickly not to trust people here. But, he seemed like a nice dude. And, she could trick him into getting her some to go food. Maybe a couple days worth. She could focus on reading and doing other things.

Beth wondered where the man came from. He was weird, but a funny guy. She had to be careful, though. He could be dangerous, after all. In either case, she felt a familiarity with the man. Plus, she wouldn't turn down a meal.

She grinned, then nodded eagerly. A good meal would be great. He didn't seem dangerous, at least not to her particularly. The little crap she had earlier and well, the rest of her life was not very filling or even good.

She perked a small brow and took the credstick in her hand, cautiously. It was weird holding something like this - really, something she had never held before. Truthfully, she wasn't even sure how they worked. She usually bartered, or just used the credits themselves.

She nodded slowly, her face turning from caution to more happy, eager. "Well, okay. But you get to decide the place, then?" She really didn't want to get blamed for any food poisoning, after all. With that, she motioned for him and she began to walk towards the more savory part of town. She thought, at least.

She carefully kept her eyes on him, but also on everyone else. They weren't in a good neighborhood, after all. She felt safer with him than with most of the people around here. She was lucky those two families let her have that little tent, that little safe spot between their own run-down homes. She sighed, not everyone was bad here.

She nodded, bright. She mumbled a quiet thank you as the large man held the door open for her. The warmth of the room was immediately satisfying. She barely ever got this kind of warmth. She enjoyed it for a moment before continuing to walk in, clearly uncomfortable and unsure of what to do. Did they sit down? She instinctively got closer to Kaine, unsure about what to do. "I've never been in a place like this," she said quietly.

Although, the warmth was getting a little to her head so she did pull her scarf down, revealing long hair pulled into a bun and two long ears that were pulled back, almost as if they were afraid.

Beth sighed contently at the warmth of the food place. It was very nice. It made her cautious, though. It seemed too nice to be real.

She looked up at Kaine and nodded a little bit. They do the thinking? She wasn't entirely sure how she felt about that. In either case, she eyed the waiter with caution although he eventually guided them to a table. Not too many people around, but there was some. She didn't think these many people could even afford this. Although, it made sense. She had only been in areas where people couldn't afford it. Is this actually expensive, though? To people who aren't 11 and homeless?

In either, she settled into the chair and nibbled her lip slightly uncomfortable, "What do we tell them to bring us? Bread or something?" She asked curiously. Her ears, a little more excited, pointed up. Almost instinctively, she hoped this would be a time she could ask for more. She was grateful that he brought her somewhere warm and was going to provide her with food, but... Food for a few days is better than food for one meal. She let her small hand wave slightly, subconsciously trying to use the Force, "Maybe I could get a few meals for a few days?" She asked, eagerly. Maybe she'd be able to do other things besides scavenging for food.

Beth let her legs kick around under the table as she took in the food place again. It was weird watching people serve food to people. It made sense, though - they were getting paid to do it. She figured she could do this pretty easily, too. Too bad they wouldn't.

She could only wait after her little charm. Might it have been working? He seemed to be doing something. Her hands began to play with her necklace again. Worst case, he'd say no, anyway, so it wasn't like it was a big deal. Sometimes people would say no and she was fine with that. Well, kind of. She wasn't happy about having to find someone that would say yes.

Her face went from relatively happy to worried upon seeing Kaine look back to her. Her ears limped a little, but still had some curiosity to them. She'd never be hungry again? She wasn't exactly sure what that meant. "Are... Are you okay?" She asked, not really understanding what he meant. He couldn't stay here forever & feed her, after all. He'd probably be gone in a day or two. She'd probably never see him again.

She shook her head, "The Force? I don't, I can't do Force stuff. I don't even know that much about it," she shrugged. She only knew about it through overheard conversations - herself, she didn't have it. People just sometimes felt bad for her or something. "People just feel bad when I ask, so sometimes it helps me get some food," she said quietly, nervously. She was confused and worried for the armored man in front of her.

Beth felt bad for the big armored man. She wasn't entirely sure why he seemed so upset all of a sudden. Was it because she asked for more food? Some people were extremely sensitive to such requests, but she hadn't felt like they had a reaction like he did. Her tall, pointy ears were pulled back, almost as if they were worried too.

Why did he think she just used the Force? She stared at him for a moment, clearly lost in thought. It might make sense, she did manage to get lots of food out of people sometimes. And most of these people weren't nice. But still, she didn't really believe she did. "I don't think so... I thought you could only like... Throw stuff around or talk through your brain or something," she gave a little shrug as she sunk a little into the seat.

She looked down at the table when he asked about her mother. She gave a small shrug as her fingers caressed the small Goddesses of Naboo. "The first orphanage said they found me with my first and last name. I don't really know besides that. I guess she didn't want me or whatever," her voice began to trail as she thought about how she was abandoned, alone, on this frigid planet.

Beth honestly wasn't too sure why the armored man had begun to ask about her parents, specifically her mother. It seemed like an odd time to bring something like that up, especially considering he was assuming she had the Force. That revelation by itself made her question some things - why didn't it do more to help her? Or had it been helping her, this entire time? Kaine said that when she asked for the extra food, he felt it. Had instead of sympathy, it had been because of the Force? Her brow furrowed and her ears were both timidly pulled back, but perked in a way to display curiosity.

She looked concerned at the General, unsure of what to really say next. She felt like he was right in the sense that it would be hard to hear whatever he was about to say. Although, the smile and the tap of the head made her smile, which elicited a small giggle before he began to talk again. He confirmed her earlier thoughts - she had the Force. Presuming, of course, he was telling the truth.

She stared at him after the revelation. He had felt her, somehow, when she used her Force. And he was her father? It was a few moments before she could fully process what was happening. Rationally, she wanted to call him a liar and run out of the place, back to her little tent. But instinctively, she could feel the truth coming from him. That still didn't stop her from asking a question he probably expected, "H-how do I know you're telling the truth?" Her voice was quiet, her mind clearly lost in thoughts.

If it was true... She just met her father, for the first time in her life. She resisted the urge to simply get up and get him, but she needed some type of confirmation - that this wasn't some sick joke by a jerk, slaver, or some noodlehead. He may not want her ultimately, but at least she could say she knew him.

Beth ears naturally betrayed her excitement - they became pointed, almost like they themselves were happy. He could prove it! That mine as well have sealed the deal, despite it all. The young Eldorai-Human mix watched Kaine with interest and had to hide back a stifle of a giggle. It amused her to an extent, but in his defense, there were some very intense things going on at the table with the young girl and the armored man.

The girl followed Kaine's logic. She nodded her understanding towards Kaine. She took her glove off as she waited for her turn. She anxiously waited for the waiter to do... Well, whatever the device did. The waiter came over and touched it against her bare hand. A few moments later, the waiter nodded, "It is a match. She's your daughter." The waiter continued to look fairly out of place, confused, and relatively awkward but handed the blood screener back to Kaine.

Beth, on the other hand, was immediately ecstatic. It was true, then. It wasn't a scam. It really was her father. After 11 years, she finally got to meet him. She jumped out of her chair, ran over to him and hugged him around his neck tightly. She ignored the fairly uncomfortable armor jabbing into her during the hug. "I never thought I'd meet you, I never thought I'd meet any of my parents. They always said they'd left me for good but here you are." Her own eyes, now, were stinging.

After a few moments of excitement, Beth let go of her father. "I... I suppose you'll have to leave soon, right? I get it if you can't take me with you or whatever. I'm just glad I got to meet you." She said with a somewhat sad smile. He probably had a life, other kids, a wife... There was probably no place for her in his life, not at this point.

Beth pulled away from Kaine and wiped her eyes, including her cheeks. She had been crying as she gave Kaine a hug. She thought it was just stinging, but tears had been flowing just like Kaine. She was still processing it all - including the suddenness of the situation.

She took a deep breath and smiled as he said he could come with her. "Are... Are you sure?" She didn't want to impose on his life. After all, it had been 11 years. He really didn't have to do anything, if he didn't want too. He could leave her here, the only place she knew.

But, she didn't get that sense from him. "I... I'll have to get my stuff." She said, with a small nod, as she thought about how to leave with Kaine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom