Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I Know You? | Irajah Ven

[member="Irajah Ven"]

Doctor Nir grasped at Irajahs arm, clinging to her as she supported his weight towards the door. There was no further movement upstairs above them, it seemed too quiet. When they approached the door, Nir leapt forward, staggering, frantically grabbing at his key card. He began swiping, sweating, bleeding. His hands were trembling, attempting to fumble for the slider.

Click.

The door swung open, fresh air enveloping them both. Dust swept into the Cantina.

"Quickly, go!"

Nir, gripping his leg, forcefully threw himself out the door and tossed his key card to Irajah.

"Lock it!"

Consciouness was seemingly beginning to slip from Nir as his head lulled back and the man slumped down on the ground in the alley behind the Cantina.

Irajah snatched the keycard out of the air, sliding it home as the door slammed behind her. She whirled back to Nir in half a heartbeat, closing the gap between them in two quick steps. Kneeling down as the older man slid down the back alley wall, she searched his face, one hand going up to check the pulse at his neck. Erratic and thread, not a good sign.

"Stay with me doc," she said, her voice low and urgent. "We need to get you back to the hospital. I'm sorry, but you can't rest yet. Doc? Doctor Nir!" Her voice was hard as his eyes started to close, snapping them back open for a moment.

"I'm sorry, I know you're tired, but you can't sleep yet, okay?."

But she couldn't get him back to the hospital without help. Already her arms and hands were shaking from the fatigue and adrenaline, not to mention the physical strain of getting him out the door. She cursed herself silently, cursed the virus that ravaged her body, making her this weak.

"Come on, talk to me. What happened. After you left the basement. I heard you, you got out. Why did you come back when you agreed you'd wait? How were you injured? I can't help you unless I know what happened, because I don't understand what I'm seeing, what's happening to you. Please Doctor Nir."

She kept her eyes focused on his, almost willing him to stay awake for just a little longer. Her free hand fumbled with her communicator. She'd call the hospital, get someone to come and get him. Her hand was shaking so badly that she could barely keep a grip on it.

[member="Ra Vizsla"]

[member="Irajah Ven"]

Irajah held Dr. Nir as he fell slumped on the ground, his head lolling in her arms. Such a strong, brave man reduced to this. Mere words, mere memories, life instantly taken. It seemed as if the man was dead, his body growing cold and limp in Irajah's arms.

"Come on, talk to me."

Nir's eyes began to roll into the back of his head, and his breath became even more shallow. Only moments ago was he trying to help her run for her life.

One of them had to.

Nir closed his eyes, and finally slumped on the ground in her lap.

"What happened."

Blackness.

A key card.

Nir was running for the back door, heading away from the basement, heading outside. The door was in sight. He was so close.

The key card. Get the damn key card out, Nir.

Nir began to fiddle with his hands and the keys, desperate to get to the pin lock.

"After you left the basement."

Nir's body slammed against the door, his breathing rapid. He gripped the key card tightly. Swipe.

The door unbolted.

Click.

Nir stopped.

A chill in the air.

A wind on his neck.

It had been utter and complete silence. How did... "No," Nir whispered, a talon whisping through the air and cutting through the arteries of his neck. He desperate tried to scream out, to warn Irajah. He dropped the key card on the floor, his blood pooling around his shirt.

No please.

He turned around, struggling, his arms growing weak.

The Wolf stared down at him.

Green emblazoned eyes. It had followed him the moment he left, watching. Ra. The Gurlanin. He was more animal than man now... but diseased, by the looks of it. Yellow strands of veins bulged through his flesh, through his fur. Pollops and mucus ran rampant across his face.

There was something desperately wrong with the creature, but Nir was dying.

One of the last noises he heard was the door shutting and bolting behind him as the Wolf bent over, its shadow encompassing the Doctor.

Click.

He reached out for the beast's face.

"I heard you, you got out."

Ra effortlessly lifted the man over his shoulder and began making his way back up to the attic.

He strung Nir up by his feet with a wire, letting him hang in front of the window.

Nir's dead body created a deathly silhouette in the dim street lights, cast upon the attic window of the Cantina.

"Why did you come back when you agreed you'd wait?"

The beast circled, slowly, the dead body of Dr. Nir.

His diseased face began to change. The pollops began to disappear.

His shape began to malform and contort.

The Wolf's face began to resemble Nir's.

"How were you injured?"

The diseased beast began to strip the Doctor of his bloodied clothing, taking his time to dress himself.

"I can't help you unless I know what happened, because I don't understand what I'm seeing"

The wolf crashed down to the floor of the attic.

He gripped his stomach.

Was he faking or was this the disease?

The beast's face began to contort.

He staggered his way down the stairs, making his way around to the basement door.

"what's happening to you. Please Doctor Nir."

KNOCK. KNOCK KNOCK.

KNOCK.

---------
A flash of emerald shone from Nir's eyes before he closed them and slumped unconscious in Irajah's lap.​
Dawn was rising as twin suns crested the horizon.​

Too busy trying to keep her shaking hands still enough to make the call, Irajah missed the flash of green on a conscious level. Caught out of the corner of her eye, her subconscious filed it away for later. But it was enough for her to look back down at him, a deeply unsettled sensation running a rump parliment at the base of her spine.

"This is Irajah Ven. I need a medical speeder immediately. The old Club Dread. No. It's a long story. Listen. No. Just. Stop! Doctor Nir has been injured and I need a speeder here NOW."

Once the clinic's doctor's name had been invoked, things got moving. Irajah kept her hand on the pulse at the unconscious man's throat. It never flagged, and while it would occasionally flutter erratically, she never had to intervene. She did a cursory inspection of his torso, and was surprised to find that none of the blood on his shirt was his. At least, he had no wounds there. Less than five minutes passed before the medical speeder stopped at the mouth of the alley. Irajah didn't move until they were lifting Doctor Nir to move him.

She was exhausted. Deeply weary in a way that was only partially due to the events of the night. Everything hurt. Her eyes were gritty and wanted so badly to unfocus and close for hours. But she wasn't done yet. She had to get Doctor Nir back to the center and figure out what exactly had happened. But first, she had to secure the Club.

"Get him back, put him on fluids and get him stabilized," she told the driver. "I'll be back there soon, there's just something I have to do first."

As the speeder moved away, she walked, slowly and deliberately, back to the Club. Holding Nir's key-card in one, trembling hand, she moved to each of the doors, making sure that all of them were locked. She checked all of the ground floor windows, every possible (reasonable) exit from the building before she was satisfied that the creature was well and truly trapped. Every step had been an agony of tension- waiting for the sounds of claws on the walls or that deep growling- but everything was silent. Maybe he'd already passed out- that was what he'd said, something like that, yes?

Stepping back in to the empty street, she looked at the building. The suns were just starting to come up, throwing a bright gleam on the old club, and she frowned, shading her eyes with one hand as she looked up. There was a movement in the attic window. At first she thought that, perhaps, it was Ra.

But a swinging body moved in no fashion like a live one. She stared for a frozen heartbeat as the body turned ever so slightly as it swung in it's desultory way.

The dead face of Doctor Nir stared down at her through the attic window.

Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. Hazel eyes widened just before Irajah looked over her shoulder, the speeder long out of sight.
"It uh, it happens very fast,"
She turned, pivoting in one movement.
"At night."
The keycard fell to the dusty street.
"I don't know what triggers them."
Her feet skidded in the dust, and she fell, catching herself on one hand and pushing back up immediately.
"I woke up naked in a field the next morning, miles away from the ranch. Unaware of how I got there."
Sprinting down the awakening street, she didn't know how fast she could get to the clinic. If his telling had been accurate, this mad dash was unnecessary.
"There were... casualties." ​​​
If it were accurate. But he didn't remember. Couldn't remember. Feeling her chest tightening as her breath seared hot and dusty at the back of her throat, she pushed herself to go faster.
"The dreams, Nir." He looked up at him, looking as if a thousand banthas weighed upon his shoulders. "I have such terrible nightmares... They always start the same. I feel as if I'm seeing through the eyes of another, walking through a jungle. I recognize it, now, for I've been there."​​
Yuuzhan'tar. I see Yuuzhan'tar​​
*****​
​No bodies. Other than what would be expected anyway. Irajah checked on the status of her "patient." He still wore Nir's face, even slack and unconscious. She didn't know how long until his form reverted back. She had time, but not much.

There was a lot to do. She looked down on the unconscious face of Doctor Nir.

Damn it, she was never getting paid.

*****​

Whenever [member="Ra Vizsla"] awoke, it would be in an isolation room. Rather than glass observation windows, Irajah'd had them blacked out. She hadn't wanted anyone to see him change, or to compromise the identity of a man going through back channels to see an underworld Doctor. It had seemed prudent. The name on the door outside would be for neither Ra no Doctor Nir. She had wrangled events so that this room was occupied simply by "John Doe".

On the other side of the room, Irajah sat in a chair, absently humming a distressingly familiar tune as she flipped through a series of flimsies. She'd already cat-napped, a useful skill she'd acquired by necessity in Med School, and while it wasn't the same as crashing in the dark for twenty hours, it was what she could arrange.

[member="Irajah Ven"]

Ra grasped at his face. Light entered his eyes. His head... pounded. What... who.... where was he?

His mind began to try and play catch up.

Nothing.

Well, not exactly nothing.

A jungle.​
Ra slowly walked through it. His hand grasped the stalk of a plant, letting it go as he walked by.​
His finger tips gently grazed the tips of exotic flowers.​
He was naked, walking through the jungle.​
But Ra... never felt quite so at home.​
Light entered his eyes.

Ra grasped at his face.

His head... pounded.

"Where..." his voice was dry, raspy. His throat hurt. He made a guttural noise whilst trying to clear it. "...Where am I?"

This was not Dr. Nir that stood up.​
No, the human form of Ra stood up in the middle of the isolation chamber.​
And he looked utterly confused.​

Irajah settled the flimsies in her lap, but didn't stand up. She looked up at him from her chair, hazel eyes obviously considering something- but what exactly was unclear.

"It's me. Irjah Ven. We met at the Club. You're safe, Ra," she said quietly. Her voice was calm, professional. "You're in an isolation room at the Medical Center in Mos Eisley. I apologize, but I thought you were.... someone else.... when I sent you here. If I had known I wouldn't have. Brought you here that is."

She stood up very slowly, not taking her eyes off of him, but not coming any closer either. Not with what she knew. With what she had.... she pushed the thoughts of what she had done while Ra had been unconscious out of her mind. Or at least, tried to. They lurked there, somewhere behind her eyes.

"You are registered as a John Doe, so your anonymity is preserved. I know that was a big part of the.... arrangement.... with Doctor Nir." There was a very slight hitch in her voice when she said his name, easy to miss.

"How are you feeling?"

​[member="Ra Vizsla"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom